Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Redneck GameGun  (Read 1703 times)

vertygo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2015, 03:19:59 pm
Redneck GameGun
« on: August 30, 2009, 12:05:45 am »
Says it'll be ready by xmas..

Video is not the greatest, but gives the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRedneckTechie

Crappy Crappy order page WILL BE here

I like the concept gun with the mini screen, but the battery pack is kind of lame.

DJ_Izumi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
Re: Redneck GameGun
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 12:09:03 am »
Dude, does he have dual monitors with dual wheels to allow for arcade style side by side multiplayer?

...That's way cooler than his 'Game Gun'.

vertygo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:12:23 am »
Seems to me that once he starts selling them, someone will make an instructable for it.

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:16:42 am »
So he's doing Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii?

How is he going to accomplish that without some serious hardware development?

Most PS3 FPS games don't support mouse and keyboard so his PC mouse based gamegun would need to convert to DualShock signals.  The same issue for the 360 exists and ALSO, that Microsoft uses some sorta authentication chip on their controllers so only authorized companies can produced third party controllers.  The Wii... Well that's a clusterfuck of it's own.

How is he expecting to put all that into one home brewed box, without having to kitbash a mouse, a DS3, a 360 controller and a Wiimote into one $500 monstrocity?

vertygo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 12:38:34 am »
I'm *thinking* it's because they have usb ports, he assumes it will work. I'm not saying it will, but he probably doesn't even HAVE those consoles right now. Still, even if it's just windows, might be a cool gun.

Beretta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2021, 02:11:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 01:17:39 am »
dunno about making it compatible with xbox,ps3,wii,pc

it means i suppose thats possible..

it's interesting, wonder how it works exactly? does'nt look like it has any sort of optical or IR tracking..

a sold state compass or something.

i can see the power pack being a major drag.. if they can get the run time up to say 3 or 4 hours it then it would'nt be a big deal... or maybe 2 hours of of one small enough to fit into the gun, changeable for extended play.

im guessing this is'nt the final product but rather a proof of concept protype.

biggest problem i see is you need a fair amount of room to operate it.

as cool as it looks functionally it has something to be desired.. it tries to take your real life movements and translate them in game.. the problem is he's spinning in ciruclars and such.. which limits any advantage you might actually have in real life since the game is'nt designed for that anyone with a keyboard and mouse will probably smoke you left right and center.

so this seems like a novelty. if everyone had the same setup then it would be a bit more fair or if the games was designed around this type of input..

honestly a game of paintball or laser tag would be more fun compared to what this is trying to offer..

but i wish him luck and am interested in seeing how it turns out maybe it'll be better then what it appears right now cause it seems like most of it's value is in novelty atm.
Anyone got change for a dollar?
PLEASE HELP NEED Fastmame .70 and .9* releases

vertygo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 01:48:01 am »
it's a gyroscopic mouse

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2013, 12:39:09 am
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 02:16:48 pm »
it's interesting, wonder how it works exactly? does'nt look like it has any sort of optical or IR tracking..

As stated by Vertygo, he uses a gyroscopic mouse...  In his first video, he explains everything in pretty good detail....enough to let you make it yourself, lol.

He starts explaining it at around the :30 mark
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JXjDSvXZrY[/youtube]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 02:18:30 pm by Organic Jerk »

Progress Rate:  Moderate      ||      Threads:  Cabinet  |  Art  |  MaLa Layout
XBL: OrganicJerk  |  PSN: OrganicJerk

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2016, 08:05:26 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 02:41:32 pm »
I'm *thinking* it's because they have usb ports, he assumes it will work. I'm not saying it will, but he probably doesn't even HAVE those consoles right now. Still, even if it's just windows, might be a cool gun.

well, some cheap car stereos have usb "charging" ports. almost everyone assumes that they can stick a jump drive in them and play their mp3s.

but the port has no functionality at all besides being able to charge your phone.

i have to explain this to people all the time when they pick the cheap radio to put in their car.