Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SimplePortal mod for SMF  (Read 5907 times)

headkaze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
SimplePortal mod for SMF
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:40:47 am »
I've been having a play with SimplePortal recently and think it would be great to install it for the BYOAC main webpage. It's quite easy to display a News board along with any blocks on the left or right columns including any html/php, User Info, Who's Online, Recent Posts, Top Poster, Top Boards, Shout Box, Quick Search, Links, Newest Member, Top Topics, Pic of the Day etc. I've always been a fan of designing community websites around the community. And the best way to do that is to build the website around the forum software. In the end it's a time saver as well because it has a powerful database management system behind it.

The current content of the front page which, let's face it seems a little disconnected from the forum, could be merged into it using SimplePortal as the central go to page. I'm sure I'm not the only person who goes straight to the forum missing the front page. I would never do that if it was a portal system, because it ties in so neatly with the forum. The current content can be moved into SimplePortal "articles" I believe or just moved into their own board. Either way it's very easy to move around the content and layout of the main page all from inside the SMF admin system.

SimplePortal has been rated as the 3rd most popular SMF mod of all time. Have you ever considered installing a portal system like this Saint? I would be happy to help you do that if your interested.

polaris

• You're a genius! Sheer genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 05:18:59 pm
  • veni vidi congai
Re: SimplePortal mod for SMF
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:53:37 am »
i'll add my guilty voice to those who come straight to the forum. sounds good, means saints work on news posting is seen more.
the main website definitely needs updating to a newer look, it looks too old and basic and probably undermines the quality of info available on the site and boards. hope
i dont sound ungrateful cos i certainly have no ability to help with any changes but on the board there must be plenty of users who do have the knowledge to pitch in and update the site. saint has already said he'd like to, just that he lacks the design skills needed to make a new look site.
got COLOR codes from projects, post them here

add stuff to the uk wiki section

headkaze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:02:06 am »
Speaking of updating to a newer look have you seen the new Mame dev website? It looks great. Perhaps we should start up a donation fund so we can hire the same guy to update the look of BYOAC? Take a look at some of his work it's amazing stuff.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 04:55:06 pm
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 09:35:32 pm »
I like the idea (both of them) -- will dig into them :)
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 09:25:02 am »

Corporate web filters block the main page but not the forum.  I imagine a lot of us only come to the forum for that reason.