Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Artwork input requested.  (Read 1487 times)

AKA Kaytrim

• Trade Count: (0)
Artwork input requested.
« on: December 01, 2006, 09:28:36 am »

I have linked up with another BYOAC new member, Mista-FraggadeliX.  He has kindly accepted to take on my artwork.  Attached are his first drafts.  Please comment on them as both he and I would like to hear your thoughts, thanks.

This is the Logo / Marquee

Here is the Monster

And finally the mad scientist

TTFN  :cheers:
Kaytrim

tommy

Re: Artwork input requested.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 03:01:50 am »
Great work so far, i would use a different style lettering for the name though.

BamBam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2011, 07:18:19 am
  • This is better than Disney Land man!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 05:36:35 pm »
I would agree.  It is hard to read the "Franken" text.  You may also want to make the text larger.  The pics of Frankestein and the Mad Doctor look nice.  Can't wait to see them in colour.
Looking good so far.

John
Galaga... Was there any other game?

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 07:17:30 pm »
I would agree.  It is hard to read the "Franken" text.  You may also want to make the text larger. 

Absolutely.  Too hard to read and too small.  But beyond that, it's looking cool!
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2024, 05:50:03 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 08:57:01 am »

An idea...

When picturing Frankenstein,  I think of all the Whacky
and Wild scientific gadjets involved. ..

Instead of just a Marquee art..  you could actually
insert Gauges (pressure, electrical, etc),
dials, Flip switches, etc..  into the
cab.   Various  lighted things.

(parts = surplus place  or  junkyard..ect)

You could add the occasional strobe flash to
act as lightning   hehe   Tho, that may be a
bit too distracting...  could be limited in time,
as well as able to be turned off.

Same for built in Creepy sound effects.

I also like the Tesla posts..  which again, could be
created in 3d, using wood rings and pipes..etc.

THe actual name, could be cut out letters, that
hover in space (support wire behind) and
maybe are backlit.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:00 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 09:02:54 am »
I'll also agree - the "Franken" text is very hard to read.  Also, I'd drop the "mame" from the name of the cabinet and think of something else like "Frankengames", "Frankenstein's Monster", "The Frankenstein", "Frankenstein's Creation", etc.  there are too many cabs with the word "mame" in them, IMO.

Also, at the very least I'd make the word "Frankenmame" all in the same font.  The Mame logo/font just doesn't look right to me and after only 2 years of coming to this site it screams generic and with the cool artwork and theme you have planned I think that's the last thing you want.

With all that said, the Frankenstein and Mad Scientist drawing look AWESOME.  Also, the theme is really really cool.  Someone else around here (Felsir) has some sweet Frankenstein art (vectored even!) and I've always thought it would be cool to build one myself with that theme.  It's really a perfect description of a Mame machine.

I can't wait to see how this thing progresses!!!

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 10:36:05 am »
 ;D Thanks for all your input so far.  I came up with the name based on how my test box looked.  You can see it here. FrankenMAME, It's ALIVE I am working on a modular style CP and wanted to get the bugs worked out prior to building the full size shell.

An idea...   When picturing Frankenstein,  I think of all the Whacky and Wild scientific gadjets involved. ..

Instead of just a Marquee art..  you could actually insert Gauges (pressure, electrical, etc),
dials, Flip switches, etc..  into the cab.   Various  lighted things.

(parts = surplus place  or  junkyard..ect)

I also like the Tesla posts..  which again, could be created in 3d, using wood rings and pipes..etc.

I also like the idea of the wacky gadgets.  but I am not real skilled artistically so the telsa posts may not make it as you suggested Xiaou2.  I was pointed to the fowling link and plan to incorporate this somehow in the final cab. Interesting Lamp   I also am working towards a more cartoony feel instead of a horror feel for the cab so that will be taken into effect for the artwork and final shell design.

With all that said, the Frankenstein and Mad Scientist drawing look AWESOME.  Also, the theme is really really cool.  Someone else around here (Felsir) has some sweet Frankenstein art (vectored even!) and I've always thought it would be cool to build one myself with that theme.  It's really a perfect description of a Mame machine.

I can't wait to see how this thing progresses!!!

I have seen Felsir's work around the boards and it is very good.  However is it not the style of art I was looking for.  Don't get me wrong I like his artwork quite a lot.  But I have an almost 8 year old son as well as 12 and 15 year old daughters.  That style of artwork will just not work in my house.  That and the fact that my wife needs to be appeased as well.

Thanks again for the feedback and keep it comming.

subcriminal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2019, 12:58:00 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 12:37:31 pm »
I'd try and keep the art as simple as possible. The art on most production cabs have very simple shading if any and the game name usually has a distinctive font but little detail to it. If you keep it Big, Bold and Simple I reckon it'll look more authentic like it's a production machine. If you're sticking with the 'FrankenMame' name which is better than a lot of Mame Cab names, I'd stick with the same font throughout.
Just my 2 pence.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 12:47:28 pm »
If you're sticking with the 'FrankenMame' name which is better than a lot of Mame Cab names, I'd stick with the same font throughout.
Just my 2 pence.

The single font theme is coming up quite a bit.  That was the original suggestion by Mista-FraggadeliX but I wanted the MAME logo in the name.  Now that I see it in living color and hearing everyone comment on it.  I think that I will bow to public opinion on this point.  I'll keep you up to date as things progress.

Here was my original idea drawing.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 04:29:31 pm by Kaytrim »

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
Re: Artwork input requested. (UPDATE)
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 06:27:33 pm »
Updated logo images are posted in the artwork forum.  Thanks again for your input.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=60917.0