Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Samba de Amigo (DC)  (Read 4511 times)

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Samba de Amigo (DC)
« on: February 23, 2005, 05:20:48 am »
Just interested to know if anyone plays this on their cab?  It's one of my favourites  ;D

My DC broke as I was about to put it in my cab, but I should be receiving my new one today/tomorrow.  I'll probably play this first, before I think about hacking controllers...

RitchieTheBrit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2015, 12:03:36 pm
    • The Urban Dead Survivor Diaries
Re: Samba de Amigo (DC)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 02:04:28 pm »
Not had the pleasure of playing it yet Min!  What type of controllers do you have, Samba or Cha-Cha De Amigo?

BTW, has anybody used the official Sega fishing rod?  I managed to get my mits on one of the 3rd party jobs (fission) for Sega Bass and it's a bit crap!  I find that I have to really give it quite a flick, and when I catch a bite, the rumble doesn't stop unless I unplug the controller, even after the fish has been landed!

I know it's sad, but I dont really like actual fishing, and there's just something so different about a fishing sim!  If any of you guys have used the official control, I'd love to know how it handles!
Well I say let's get out there and TW*T it!

One good knee in the happy-sacks and it'll go down like any other smegger!

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 04:12:38 pm »
You probably don't want to play Samba in a cab, at least with the maraccca controllers.  I play mine on a dedicated 36" vga monitor (which I also use for lightgun games).  You want to be standing at least 5 feet away from the monitor (and each other) so as not to hit anything.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 02:27:55 pm »
I've got samba... but my DC's drive has about had it... haven't touched samba de amigo in over a year, due to that...

*shrug* I like it, but I can't tell sometimes if the sensors are being balky or if i just suck.

rampy

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 04:07:56 pm »
*shrug* I like it, but I can't tell sometimes if the sensors are being balky or if i just suck.

I've herd the 3rd party maraccas suck big time.  I have the originals, and they work fine as long as you are directly over the floor sensors.  You'd be surprise how many people think it will work when they pull the maracas to their sides or behind them when doing the poses  ;D.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 04:09:49 pm by Dave_K. »

RitchieTheBrit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2015, 12:03:36 pm
    • The Urban Dead Survivor Diaries
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 10:43:38 am »

I've herd the 3rd party maraccas suck big time. I have the originals, and they work fine as long as you are directly over the floor sensors. You'd be surprise how many people think it will work when they pull the maracas to their sides or behind them when doing the poses ;D.

I heard this too, which is a shame, although from what I've been reading, it's more down to build quality than design.  From what I can gather, if you pick up a set or two, with a little soldering skill they can be fixed up to work well.

Now all I need is a couple of sets...

...and, erm, the skill!   ;D

**** IF ANYONE IN THE UK IS SELLING A DECENT SET OF MARACCAS (SAMBA OR CHA-CHA) I WOULD BE INTERESTED!  PVT ME WITH A PRICE!!!***
Well I say let's get out there and TW*T it!

One good knee in the happy-sacks and it'll go down like any other smegger!

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 09:26:45 am »
I wanted to get two controllers... I thought my daughters would like it...

but the originals are so darn expensive.  And you can't really play them without it.

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 05:52:09 pm
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 02:25:12 pm »
I have some really cheap third party controllers called 'Samba Fans' and they work fine. The poorly translated box and instructions are almost as fun as playing the game!
Samba de Amigo is my wife's second favourite game (runner up to Burger Time), I can't tell you how many drunk friends have smacked our TV with the maracas; they start off a good distance away, but somehow manage to shimmy over to the TV while playing.

Shieldwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 12:48:53 am
  • SpearShield.com
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 12:25:53 pm »
i use it and found some great 3rd party maracas in puerto rico for 3 dollars at an eb!!!!

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 08:02:46 am »
i use it and found some great 3rd party maracas in puerto rico for 3 dollars at an eb!!!!

you're kidding right... like you picked up real maracas, huh?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 04:32:54 am »
OK, old thread but my DC is on it's way and while searching http://www.lik-sang.com/ for DC stuff I found these Maracas and thought, what the heck they were for, so I now found the game info etc. and being a drummer I MUST play this game (also for the fun of it with guests etc. :)

So....the lik-sang maracas http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=28&products_id=1311& are pretty cheap but are they OK ? I don't want that game spoiled by bad controllers. And better to pay a little more and have fun then have payed half and be frustrated....

O and, I found info there was a follow-up game for the Maracas ? So are there actualy two games ? Or was the second never released ?

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 02:29:22 pm »
Anything but original Sega maracas are going to be cheap and not very accurate.  Samba De Amigo 2000 (the 2nd verison) was only released in Japan.  If you want original maracas usually ebay has them.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 04:28:51 pm »
OK, thought so, I'll go for the originals....thanks !

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 04:37:01 pm »
I have some really cheap third party controllers called 'Samba Fans' and they work fine. The poorly translated box and instructions are almost as fun as playing the game!
Samba de Amigo is my wife's second favourite game (runner up to Burger Time), I can't tell you how many drunk friends have smacked our TV with the maracas; they start off a good distance away, but somehow manage to shimmy over to the TV while playing.

Hey JoyMonkey, if you're still around, could you put up a picture of the "Samba Fans", what did they cost and where did you buy them ?

Thx !

Sorry, found them at www.lik-sang.com....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 02:22:30 am by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 02:23:43 am »
OK, it is said that only 10.000 original Sega Maracas were shipped to the US, and prices on E-bay are around the 75 dollar mark for a pair, but this seems to be a bit insande to me:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/B00004WKN4/all/ref=dp_pb_a/104-9930470-2133551?s=videogames

(Scroll to the bottom) Maybe he just typed a 0 too many ?

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 05:16:04 am »
I have some original maracas and Cha Cha Amigo ones from LikSang.  Haven't really tried the latter enough to comment on quality, but they seemed to work OK with a quick test.  I might have to give them a proper trial soon...

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 07:38:30 am »
I have some original maracas and Cha Cha Amigo ones from LikSang.  Haven't really tried the latter enough to comment on quality, but they seemed to work OK with a quick test.  I might have to give them a proper trial soon...

Minwah, that would be awsome if you would want to do that and report here. For the price of a single original set I can get two new "fake" sets, but again, if they are really bad that is only going to spoil the fun.

So far I've figured out there are three sets:

1) The original Sega's

2) The Cha Cha Amigo's by EMS
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-s-70-10f-4-6.html

3) The Samba Fans by Baojie Elecronic Co. model # BJ-2006
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=239&products_id=3644&

The EMS Cha Cha Amigo's don't have a mat, although not needed, maybe still good for indicating correct position to stand ?

Also I wonder about the used technolgy. I understand the Ultrasonic system (wonder if my combined ir/ultrasonic alarm detector will spoil the fun), but what is registering the actual shaking of the Maraca's ? Anyone dared to open them up (and even better, compare !).....;)

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 11:01:18 am »
Minwah, that would be awsome if you would want to do that and report here. For the price of a single original set I can get two new "fake" sets, but again, if they are really bad that is only going to spoil the fun.

I'll have a go tonight.  I'd forgotten I even bought the Cha Cha maracas and now my DC is in my cab I should try it :)

The no.3 maracas you mention as listed as 'temporarily unavailable' at lik-sang...often this seems to mean 'totally unavailable'!

The EMS Cha Cha Amigo's don't have a mat, although not needed, maybe still good for indicating correct position to stand ?

I think the mat is just a 'nice' thing to have.  You can see the sensors so it is obvious where to stand really.

Also I wonder about the used technolgy. I understand the Ultrasonic system (wonder if my combined ir/ultrasonic alarm detector will spoil the fun), but what is registering the actual shaking of the Maraca's ? Anyone dared to open them up (and even better, compare !).....;)

Don't know for sure, but you can get vibration sensors so I guess it is one of those.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 11:24:56 am »

I'll have a go tonight.  I'd forgotten I even bought the Cha Cha maracas and now my DC is in my cab I should try it :)
Thanks ! :) (and have fun....I'm jealous :) )

The no.3 maracas you mention as listed as 'temporarily unavailable' at lik-sang...often this seems to mean 'totally unavailable'!
Yeah saw that, but they show they are available and in stock from Lik-Sang Europe (although at a much higher price....) and since I'm in Europe....

Under "product kenmerken" (product specs) it says:
This Controller is available at Lik Sang Europe only
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 11:27:47 am by Level42 »

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 08:57:57 am »
OK I have just about calmed down now.  Here is what happened:

I tried the Cha Cha Amigo controller...and it intermittantly worked.  When it was working it was fine, but it would just stop working.  I had a hunch it was a connection somewhere in the sensor part in the lead of the maraca, so my enquisitive (ie stupid) side took over and I plugged my official maracas into the Cha Cha base.

Now my DC controller ports are all fried  :'(  Probably my fault, but since the Cha Cha's were playing up to be honest I wouldn't trust them any more anyway.  Luckily for me I have a spare DC  ;D

So my advice is to get the official ones...

But if anyone wants a set of Cha Cha's for testing or messing about with, you can have mine for free (usual disclaimer applies).  Actually they look fairly well made, I bet there is just some dodgy connections inside.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 10:23:58 am »
Heya Minwah,

So sorry about that, I feel so guilty because I asked you to compare them !!!  :-[ :-[

You're  sure the ports are defective?, that is kinda strange when the control box is between the actual maracas and the ports....still, of course very possible....

Do you fear the controlbox is gone too ?

Hope you're not angry with me and, yes I would be willing to give your Cha Cha's a try, (I'm pretty good at electronics) if you are willing to send them to Holland. Of course I'll cover costs etc.....:S

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 10:48:34 am »
(PM sent)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 11:16:13 am »
Thanks !!

Actualy, I did some close study of all the pictures of the several controlers (I am close to getting a Maracas expert ;D)

The Samba Fans Maracas look EXACTLY the same as the Sega's (apart from the color and sticker). The Cha Cha's look a bit different...

The Cha Cha's control box is small, and the ultrasonic sensors are connected seperatly through wires., The Sega control box is one single box.
There is no mat included with the Cha Cha's, the Samba Fans and Sega do have one.

Don't have a picture of the controlbox of the Samba Fans, so I wonder how this looks like.

The Sega controlbox has a sticker "Made in Japan", pretty sure the 3rd party stuff is not from Japan, but it's striking how much the Samba Fans and the Sega's look alike...on top the Sega's, bottom the Samba Fans...

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 11:51:07 am »
They look good.  I would say the Cha Cha's have slightly worse moulds/seams.  They look pretty good however, and they have a clear top part which flashes (LED's I think) when you shake them.

You're right about the control box...the sensors are connected to the centre box using 3.5mm jack plugs, on a 'stiff' cable (1 each side).

Oh, also, the maraca cable on the Cha Cha's seem to be slightly worse quality than the Sega's - they are a bit stiffer but shouldn't make much difference.

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 12:20:40 pm »
I'll try to dig out my Samba Fans tonight and get some photos for you. They do look a lot like the Sega ones, and the control box is one long unit running along the top of the floor-matt with the sensors built into it. The maracas plug into it using keyboard/mouse style PS/2 connectors.
The instructions on the box are hilarious- some excellent examples of Engrish on there!

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 06:45:17 pm »
Here's some photos of the Samba Fans; be sure to read the instructions!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2005, 06:59:10 am »
Wahahahaha  ;D

I like this one the best:
Don't touch it by hand (!?!?!?) mixed the mess.

Brilliant !

OK, now let's compare some pics of the original Sega box:
To me this all looks TOO much like the originals....either these Chinese guys did some very goog imitatition (look-wise at least) or could it be they bought the old production line from Sega ?

I'd almost say it is just the same product, but I've also got a pic of the original Sega box that shows a sticker Made In Japan, and I don't think the Samba Fans were built there...

All very interesting. Miniwah, any news on the shipping costs ?