Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BeagleBone(Rasp-Pi/Jamma Alternative) Based Cocktail Cabinet (NOT ANYMORE)  (Read 6976 times)

TheShaner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
Greetings Earthlings!

I am building a test run cocktail cabinet as a gift for someone I know.  I am doing this for several reasons, other than the hookup for the friend. 

1.  See how cheap I can build a cocktail cabinet, I might sell a few in the future if I can get the cost and process down under $400.
2.  Find a replacement for the commonly used Jamma Boards
3.  Perform a test run for my upcoming, as of yet unnamed, cocktail project

I am following the standard Ms Pacman design schema for this particular project.

List of materials so far

Item                     Qty   Cost   Company         Project total
4x8 3/4" Birchwood Ply         1   $44.00   Home Depot      $354.48
BeagleBoard Black            1   $45.00   Amazon   
5v Power Adapter            1   $5.00   Amazon   
MicroHDMI to VGA adapter      1   $5.00   Amazon   
iPac2 Keyboard Encoder         1      $39.00     Ultimarc   
Joysticks                  2   $25.00   Paradise Arcade   
Standard arcade buttons         6   $20.00   Paradise Arcade   
Midway start buttons          4   $9.50   Mikes Arcade   
Power supply               1   $19.99   Amazon   
Coin door                  1   $37.00   Ebay   
19" LCD                     1   n/a   n/a   
Fan            
Glass                     1   $40.00   Meyers Glass   
Glass Art            
Midway Cocktail Glass Clips      8   $18.99   Twisted Quarter   
Leg Leveler                  4   $4.00   Twisted Quarter   
Leg Leveler Mounting Plates      4   $7.00   Twisted Quarter   
Brackets Screws & Misc Hardware      $25.00   Home Depot   
TMolding - 20ft Black 3/4"      1   $10.00   EBay   
Speakers            
Speaker Grills            
Control Panel Art            
Plexiglass (Control Panel)            
Control Panel Lights

Aside from doing a test run of the cabinet work, I am really wanting to find another non-pc solution other than a Jamma board.  I like the idea of Jamma's for smaller arcade machines because they are just about instant on, and more importantly do not have any moving parts. The problem with them is that they are running an incredibly old version of MAME and it has too many glitches for my taste.  I also would like to be able to add a few games outside of the list of 60 that comes on the Jamma.  So after a lot of research, I decided to go with a BeagleBone over a Raspberry Pi..  I know there will be a ton of people who will voice their opinion about using a P4 instead because of the power of the machine, but I already have a powerful cabinet that is fully pc based.  This cabinet, as well as the cocktail I am going to build after this are meant to run older games only, like pacman, galaga, defender, etc.  As well as a few others.  So I dont need much power.  I really just want a quiet machine that is rock solid, and I should be able to do that with the BB.

So, while the cabinet work is going to be a little boring on this one, I think the real fun is going to come into getting this BeagleBone up and running and seeing just how well it fares as a Jamma killer.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:50:33 am by TheShaner »

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
Re: BeagleBone(Rasp-Pi/Jamma Alternative) Based Cocktail Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 01:54:27 pm »
Ok, so I have already started on the cabinet, which I am doing standard MsPacman size and shapes, for the most part.  I am editing a little here and there on the fly. 

One of the nice things about this sized cabinet is that you can cut pretty much everything out of one piece of 4x8 wood.  As a few others have done, I am using Birchwood ply.  I am going to stain it and try to make it look as nice as possible.  Problem is, this birchwood is a ---smurfette--- to cut.  It splinters like a son of a ---smurfette---.

But it can be controlled and for the most part Ive got some clean cuts with sanded down splintering on the inside of the cab where it wont be seen. 

Done with all of the initial cuts.

I still need to cut out the speaker, vent, and coin door holes before I can start staining it. 

Top measured out for the LCD

I also got the bulk of the items on my shopping list ordered today, so I should be able to start playing with some electronics soon.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:16:31 pm by TheShaner »

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 02:15:36 pm »
So I am doing some research on getting a mame build going for this box.  It comes stock with an Angstrom Dist on it.  A question for any of you Linux guys out there: Should I be able to roll with that and just find an appropriate build of MAME for it?  Or will I need to reload with Ubuntu?

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 03:40:13 pm »
Subscribed.  I, too am looking for a replacement for Jamma.  I'm building some bartops soon and I want a very simple solution.

As for ubuntu....I like it.  But, I've never worked with Angstrom.  I'm learning Linux on the fly at work for use as such things as Git servers, Jenkins boxes, etc, so I'm psyched to get into this more.

Ubuntu seems to be the more well rounded distros.  I've also worked with a couple of others....primarily Fedora and they all have their good/bad.  But, outwardly, it looks like more work has been done with ubuntu on the BB.

AJ

LGC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2015, 04:58:05 am
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 01:01:04 am »
I stumbled onto this site whilst looking for an embedded system for a side-project at work :

http://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/low-cost-arm-boards

perhaps there's something there for your needs, that you hadn't already discovered.

spoot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 01:15:40 am »
Problem is, this birchwood is a ---smurfette--- to cut.  It splinters like a son of a ---smurfette---.

Probably too late now......but are you using a rip blade?

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:34:08 am »
Tear-out is a common occurrence when cutting wood even with the finest blades.  When cutting birch like that you need at least 40 teeth if not 60 and the blade should be pretty sharp.  After many frustrating cuts I now only use Freud Diablo blades.  They are clutch.

Good articles for you to read up on - http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/pdf/WOOD-Saw-Blades-II-The-Retest.pdf http://www.diaryofawoodworker.com/2011/01/how-to-avoid-tear-out.html http://www.dekalbsaw.com/sawtearout.html

As for the Linux component MAME4ALL can run on it but you may find more updated version of MAME more useable with Ubuntu.

jbenesh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2016, 04:10:23 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 02:14:06 pm »
Other thoughts on preventing tearout on plywood. 

1.  Use painters tape along your cutline.
2.  Score the cutline first with a utility knife.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 09:24:36 am »
Just a tiny update on this project ...

I received the BeagleBoard a couple of weeks ago and have been playing with the Angstrom load that comes on it.  Unfortunately it is acting a little goofy with the old dell monitor that I have, so I am probably going to need to load Ubuntu on it.  So, that will come in the next couple of days.

Here it is though in all it's tiny glory:

Ive picked back up on this cab and have gotten some of the cabinet work done.  Im going for stains as opposed to laminate on this one.  I apparently suck at staining, which is why this pic is a little streaky, but I plan on going over things one or two more times to get it a little more even. 

Regardless, all of the wood is cut, sides routed for the T-Molding, and the coin door fitted.  Gonna start working on the control panels here shortly.  Hopefully I will make a little progress on the software side of things within the next few days as well. 

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 11:49:50 am »
Well this is no longer a BeagleBone cabinet.  I just had too many problems with drivers and the hardware I was working with.  While I plan on working through this on another cabinet, I need to get this one finished as it is for a friend.

With that said, don't expect anything crazy out of this one.  This is just a normal ol' cocktail, but I'll finish out the documentation process for the hell of it, then get on to the cocktail I have been wanting to build for myself, but more on that later.  The person I am making this for lives out in the country and wants this to be very rough and wooden, so you wont see any laminate or flashy artwork on this one.

So, the cabinet itself is pretty much done:

Wood stained, control panel's cut:

I realize that my grain is a different direction, but I am going to end up redoing those, more on that in a bit.

Legs in place:

TMolding Installed.

Birdfeeder crafted to look like a porch swing clamped

Speakers disassembled and installed:

Who's got two thumbs and aint gonna pay 5 bucks for PCB spacers ... this guy

Computer decased, mounted loaded

Glass and top wood cut

Top painted, monitor mounted

TMolding on top piece installed

Now I just need to finish the load on the computer, mount the hardware inside the box, wire up the control panel and other buttons throughout the cabinet, do the power and I can call it a day.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Re: BeagleBone(Rasp-Pi/Jamma Alternative) Based Cocktail Cabinet (NOT ANYMORE)
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 11:55:07 am »
What's the spec on the PC? 

AJ

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 11:58:53 am »
Old and crappy.  It is an old Dell GX270 I had laying around.  I only plan on running a select number of old games on this one (No more than 50 or 60 cocktail based).  Less configuration and support needed from my end once it is in its owner's hands. 

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 12:07:47 pm »
Just watch out for the CAP issues.  The 270s had a tendency to blow caps on the MB.  I had to throw out my last one.  The 280s and 260s didn't have that problem though.  Otherwise, that spec is dead on.  I even have Killer Instinct 1 and 2 running on mine.

AJ

Old and crappy.  It is an old Dell GX270 I had laying around.  I only plan on running a select number of old games on this one (No more than 50 or 60 cocktail based).  Less configuration and support needed from my end once it is in its owner's hands.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 12:10:17 pm »
That is funny you mention that.  It is actually a 260 proc.  I had a 270 laying around also, which I hooked up first, but it kept popping the temp threshold and shutting down, so I put the 260 processor in it and it works just fine now.   Did you ask about the specs on the comp because you recognized it?

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 12:20:29 pm »
Hahaha.  Yeah.  Is that sad?

AJ

That is funny you mention that.  It is actually a 260 proc.  I had a 270 laying around also, which I hooked up first, but it kept popping the temp threshold and shutting down, so I put the 260 processor in it and it works just fine now.   Did you ask about the specs on the comp because you recognized it?

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 12:21:57 pm »
Kinda ya, but I would have as well, which is equally sad.  Nerd powers activate:   :cheers:

Skwidensky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2013, 11:43:50 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 10:19:46 pm »
Would you mind going into more detail about how to set up the BBB for use? It would be a great help, thank you.

Edit: Never mind, after re-reading your posts I noticed you'd given up on trying to utilize the BBB for your cabinet. Its a pity. Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:17:53 pm by Skwidensky »

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 09:04:12 am »
Skwidensky,

I have not abandoned it totally, just need to get this cab to its intended owner in a reasonable amount of time.  I will still work through this, I just need to not be pressured.