Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can this coin mech be altered?  (Read 2343 times)

Mark Thomas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2014, 07:41:56 am
Can this coin mech be altered?
« on: September 16, 2012, 02:14:48 pm »
I have this IL coin mech that accepts UK 50p coins can it be altered to accept any coin?

Nephasth

Re: Can this coin mech be altered?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 02:49:26 pm »
Yep.

Mark Thomas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 03:02:01 pm »
Great stuff could you tell me how it's done please? And is it quite an easy procedure?

Nephasth

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 07:43:01 pm »
Alright. There is some information on modding mechs floating around the forum, but some of it is pretty vague. Through using this info and handling many different types of mechs, I have developed my own technique for modding mechs that is quick and easy. Even though there is a wide variety of these types of coin mechs, they all do the same thing which is to either allow a coin to drop into the coin box or get rejected into the coin return. Essentially, even though the parts may be a little different, they're all extremely similar.

With that being said. I disassembled one of my metal quarter mechs to show how to mod a coin mech. I didn't actually mod this mech, but the pics will help you mod your own. The mechs you have pictured have some differences, but you'll be able to mod them following these steps.

Step 1: Remove this e-clip.

Step 2: Remove this piece. With this removed, larger coins will be able to pass through this area of the mech unobstructed (if there isn't an adjustment piece up top that I will discuss later). This piece along with the e-clip can be discarded if you wish, they will not be reinstalled.

Step 3: Remove this screw. (You can see the piece removed in the previous step above the mech now).

Step 4: Remove this outer metal piece. On some plastic mechs (such as yours possibly) these lower inner and outer pieces may be one piece molded together (which isn't a problem, we're just trying to get to the piece we need to modify).

Step 5: This piece of foil needs to be removed. However, on most mechs I've encountered, it is not present, so skip this step if you don't have one in your mech.

The screw holding it in place is on the back side of the mech.

Foil piece removed.

The foil piece and screw can be discarded if you wish.

Step 6: Removing the inner metal piece.

Step 7: Modifying the inner metal piece. At the top of the piece is a slight bend in the metal. This bend has to be straightened out to allow coins to drop past the coin switch. On metal mechs such as this, the bend can be straightened easily by clamping down on it with a pair of pliers in a few spots. You want the edge indicated with the red arrow to straighten up with the edge indicated by the blue arrow. The original purpose of this bend is to guide improper coins into the coin return, we don't want this.

On plastic mechs, however, you can't straighten the bend out with pliers. I found it easiest just to remove the top part to eliminate the bend. I ground mine of with a bench grinder, but you can use whatever means you have at your disposal.

Step 8: Reinstall the lower pieces and secure with the screw (screws in your case).

Step 9: Adjust or remove any size adjusters in order to allow the largest possible coins to pass through. It looks like maybe the lower screw marked with red on the front side of your mechs might need to be removed or adjusted. Possibly the ones on the lower back side as well.

Step 10: Drop the largest coins you intend to use through the mech (I've found that anything larger than just over an inch in diameter is too large for these types of mechs, even after modification). Watch to see if the coins get hung up in any particular area. There may be unadjustable tabs in the coin pathway that need to be filed down if necessary.

And that should do it. I get very few returned coins with my mechs (maybe 1 in 100 coins dropped), and hardly ever get jammed mechs. I use a crap ton of different sized tokens, and generally if it can fit in the coin slot I won't have a problem. Hope this helps you and others that want to use various sized coins with their mechs.

Nephasth

Mark Thomas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 05:00:04 pm »
Thank you so much, just followed your guide and it worked perfectly  :cheers:

Nephasth