Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ipad anyone?  (Read 27256 times)

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
ipad anyone?
« on: January 27, 2010, 02:35:13 pm »
Just out today.   I think it is cool but not very convenient due to size. Not as handy as an iphone or ipod but it may find a place.
PC World Coverage

Edit: added PC World Link
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:07:44 pm by BobA »

Jeff AMN

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
Re: ipad anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:46:01 pm »
What a train wreck!

I don't know what their audience is for this one. It's the same as an iPhone, basically. It doesn't multitask, has no front-facing camera (for video conferences and Skype), it doesn't run OS X, Flash isn't supported (came up with the missing plugin thing during the presentation), it has SIX models to choose from, 3G is through AT&T, and it's nowhere near as good as an e-ink device for reading. So...if you want it for music, why not just use your iPhone? Same for all the app store apps. If you want it for video, shouldn't it be at least 16:9?

Who wants to pay for another monthly plan? You already have your cell phones plus their data plans, home Internet, and now you'll introduce this for another $30/month? It seems like this is something that should have been held off another year or two as it's a little half-baked. They just got 4 strong men to tug at each corner of an iPhone and called it a day.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:34:32 pm »
I think basically what happened is that Steve Jobs invited Derek Zoolander over and he saw an iPod Touch sitting there and went, "What is this...a tablet for ants?! If we're going to build this it needs to be at least three times this big!"

So that's what they did.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 03:36:03 pm »
its iTarded. Why not just make a tiny keyboard fpr the Iphone? or a plug in the bottom that is KB,Mouse, and VGA out?

undoubtedly the iFanBoys will go out and iBuy it. Jeff already had the perfect reply to this, so I just rambled so I can catch chad in post count. 10,000 to go.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 03:37:10 pm »
I could definitely see it eating into the eReader market.  The screen may not be as nice to read on as a Kindle, but it is capable of a whole lot more.  I initially thought it would be an abject failure until they got to price.  I was expecting like $800+ (especially from Apple), but I can see it selling for $500.

I won't get one, but I have to admit, I'd love to have one laying around the house.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:45:16 pm »
Wow. The ranters here obviously didn't take the time to read over the specs and the full feature presentation, and/or have zero experience using an iphone or ipod touch. You'd see you're wrong on almost every count except this one: Its a little too big.

I do a lot of email and web surfing with my ipod touch. It's great to be watching tv or reading and then not have to go up to my office, turn on the PC to check email. Just pick up the Touch and away I go. Web surfing? THe touch (iphone) screen is too small. So I've been pining for a bigger device I could use casually for web/email/apps, and this is what they delivered.

$499 is perfectly reasonable, seeing as how a crappy little netbook is about $299.  No one will force you to opt for the 3G model. No one will force you to opt for the data plan (completely unecessary if you use Wifi only, just like we iPod touch users are limited to). etc, etc...

Lack of Flash is a valid complaint, but there's a LONG history behind that, and its primarily based on greed and legal hurdles. (Apple wants to sell music and media and apps. Flash would open the world to free media, music, games, etc).

PS: forgot to mention: an Amazon kindle is $299 and crappy in comparison
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:04:57 pm by RayB »
NO MORE!!

Vanguard

• The aliens are using their mouthpiece, "Saint" to discredit my theory.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 09:42:21 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 03:45:21 pm »
I can see it making a nice digital picture frame when not in use.   Just sit it on a stand and plug it in.  It makes for a nice portable TV too.   The 3G version can recieve live cable TV.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 03:55:57 pm »

Lack of Flash is a valid complaint . . .

Oh yeah, that optional 3G thing is huge, IMO.  That would have been a deal breaker for me.  I don't want to carry a tablet around with me everywhere I go.  If I got this thing it would sit at home, and when I took it with me it would be for reading, not surfing the internet (not because surfing the internet wouldn't be cool, but because it wouldn't be an extra $30/mo cool).  There's just absolutely no way I would even consider this thing if it came with a monthly data plan I had to pay for.

As for Flash, at least it won't be an issue for too much longer thanks to HTML 5, which the iPhone's browser supports.  That said, it is totally inexcusable that it doesn't support Flash.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 04:09:22 pm »
It's market differentiation.  Ya gotta have your high-end and low end and the two need to be substantially different.  It's why my $19k Honda Civic doesn't have a 30 cent light in the glove box.  The Accord has a lighted glove box.  If the Civic has too many luxuries, who's gonna buy an Accord?  Obviously, given the option, I'd have rather paid $19,000.30 and had the light.  I don't have that option.  If I want the light I have to pay thousands more.

Not exactly the apples to apples, but more or less the same principle.

Also, it's been years since I had a marketing class and I've never worked in the field, so I don't know if market differentiation is the correct term.  :)

Best Kid iPad Apps

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 04:21:49 pm »
BTW, why no webcam?  That seems insane to me.  It would be great to lounge around on the couch using Skype or iChat with a device like this.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 05:47:03 pm »
Sorry, but I just made a second new topic for it under "monitors".
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=99812.msg
10 inch 4:3 IPS is the most amazing aspect of the iPad in my opinion for arcade lovers.

Blanka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 05:49:24 pm »
BTW, why no webcam?  That seems insane to me.
My thought too, but if you noticed, Phil Schiller told us that this is not the best financial tactic. If they sell a crippled iPad first, then add a webcam in the summer, and multitasking in the winter, they make much more profit. Sounds reasonable.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 06:10:02 pm »
Actually it sounds insane, but perfectly in line with the insane world in which we live.   :)

Best Kid iPad Apps

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 06:34:57 pm »
A consumer does not stand in a store looking at products and think "gee, what does 16gb in hardware actually cost?", what they look at is "for only $100 more, I can DOUBLE the memory".

That's how you make a buck. Just like selling a penny's worth of extra cola for 0.25c by upgrading your already over-priced drink to a bigger size at the movie theatre.
NO MORE!!

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 07:39:59 pm »
I'm rather torn on this product.  The iPad has been way over-hyped.  That goes without saying.  But I must say my iTouch is one of my favorite possessions.  The touch interface really is amazing.  I can surf the web and answer email with one hand.  No way can I do that effectively on my Windows Mobile Phone. I'm not sure if that experience will transfer well to the slightly larger form factor.  I've read a couple of eBooks using the iTouch and it makes the Kindle seem silly. 

This official Apple video is interesting.  Seeing the product in action was more impressive that reading about it.  I watched this with my kids tonight and all three were very excited.  At the same time we were all creeped out by the hyperbole and over-the-top statements.  You'd think they invented the first computer.  Check out Scott Forstall's eyes. My kids were freaked-out by him. He is seriously drinking the Kool-aid.

Gorotsuki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2011, 10:51:25 pm
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 08:04:00 pm »
Hmmm.
I considered myself
a real gadget guy,
but this thing, and
these cell phones just
don't excite me at all.

Must be getting old.

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 08:12:22 pm »
Definitely a kool-aid moment.  No one else has pulled off the tablet well, why does apple think that they will other than the mindless drones that will buy it simply because theres a fruit on it.

Oh, and the name?  Sounds like something involved with that time of the iMonth.
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 09:13:32 pm »
No one else has pulled off the tablet well, why does apple think that they will ?

Because the problem with tablets has always been the interface and Apple is really good at user interfaces.  Not saying that this thing is anything like perfect, and there are some absolutely glaring problems with it, but it does look more interesting than any other tablet ever released.

Best Kid iPad Apps

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 09:55:04 pm »
It looks like a 1992 era iPod Touch.  :laugh2:

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 10:47:55 pm »
Apple is really good at user interfaces.

Agree.  They steal the best.   ;D

jamesjones626

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2019, 01:24:52 pm
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 10:59:09 pm »
F that S!

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:31:22 pm
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 11:12:13 pm »
But can you make calls from it? or take photos (needs a camera connection kit)? no? bahhh useless!  :P
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:20:49 pm by Ond »

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 11:18:11 pm »
Actually, that's what kills me about no camera.  It just makes no sense at all.  If you can fit a camera into the iPhone, you can fit one into the iPad.  This thing would be so great for Skype (or iChat if you're an Apple fanatic).  It's obviously not an oversight.  This was discussed and they decided not to put in a camera.  It's retarded, but it's definitely deliberate.  It also lacks any I/M client software.  

The only reason I can come up with is that they're afraid that any real-time communication capability this thing has will cause it to cannibalize iPhone sales.

Best Kid iPad Apps

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 12:46:08 am »
So far, all I'm hearing all over the place are people picking out one feature that this doesn't have and tearing it apart based on that. So strange.  No camera! Ipod Touch doesn't, yet it sold huge numbers last christmas. Why? Why didn't people get Iphone instead? Or hey, an ipod is for MUSIC, what's all this extra crap worth paying $300-$400 for? Yet it sold.

I guess you gotta try it to "know" this will do well. Until 6 months ago I never even owned an Apple product *ever*, but never have I enjoyed and gotten so much use out of a "gadget" as I have the Touch. I barely even use it for music. LOL

The pundits even had an effect on Apple stock, knocking it down $6. I am reminded of the pre-Wii naysayers.  It's probably a good time to buy Apple stock.

NO MORE!!

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 01:16:42 am »
That's just religion speaking, RayB.  The iPod Touch has much less demand for a camera than the iPhone.  And while I'm calling for a camera on the iPad, I don't mean in the way the iPhone has a camera, I mean the way a laptop typically has a camera.  I'm talking about a webcam, not a camera for taking digital stills.

But Apple is not immune from creating flops, and they are not immune from creating devices that could be great, but important missing features hamper their success.  Please see Apple TV.

The case your making about people speaking out against the iPod touch is simply made up.  There is no confusion over why people bought the iPod touch.  There never was.  The iPhone was an enormous success, universally loved by almost everyone who used it, especially iPod users.  The obvious answer to the question, "Why didn't people get an iPhone instead," is simply that they didn't want or need the phone feature and preferred to save a substantial amount of money, both on the cost of the device, as well as on not having a $30 monthly data plan.  The case for the iPod touch is beyond obvious.  People were clambering for it as soon as the iPhone was released.  The case for the iPad is much less so.

I'm not saying the device will not be a success.  But it is certainly not the guaranteed success you make it out to be.  And your willingness to give Apple a pass on clear failures just paints you as a fanboy.  For crying out loud, you've got a tablet with a web browser incapable of displaying 95% of the streaming video on the web.  In what world is that okay?  It can't multitask.  This isn't SO important on the iPhone or iPod touch cos those devices are limited by their very nature (i.e., small size).  But this tablet comes with a brand new, custom-tailored iWork and it has a full-size keyboard dock.  It is meant to be a laptop replacement for the casual user.  But you cannot listen to music from Pandora while you work.  One app at a time, my friend.  And, again, who are they aiming this tablet at?  Why no camera?  The very people who would buy something like this are the very people who would want to utilize it for iChat and so on.  

These things matter.  You can't just say, "Look at the iPhone.  It's great, so this will be too."  Look at Windows XP.  It was great.  What did that mean for Vista?  Look at Vista.  It was crap.  Did that mean that Windows 7 was bound to be crap?  I guess what I'm saying, is take a step back.  Have some perspective.  Instead of just blindly swallowing what you are fed you might say, "You know what?  This has potential.  But Apple left off features that I consider critical.  I think I will wait until they get it right."  Remember Ray, yesterday you didn't even know what an iPad was.  You'll be okay going one more year without one.  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:19:59 am by shmokes »

Best Kid iPad Apps

Blanka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 02:10:17 am »
Hmmm.
I considered myself
a real gadget guy,
but this thing, and
these cell phones just
don't excite me at all.

Don't worry you're not. The biggest problem with this thing is that it's almost the perfect hardware, with crippled software. With a Phone (locked by providers) you can accept crap like no file manager and 1 channel to buy applications. But this is actually a computer with serious working capabilities. So if there is NO FILEMANAGER, NO MULTITASKING, NO USB drive support, NO RAM/SD EXTENSION, NO FILE SHARING, this product wil stay a gimmick for the dumbest of dumbest. It's the perfect OLD people device. You're not OLD. The iPAD is for the OLD.

GaryMcT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2014, 11:19:27 am
    • GaryMcT's arcade blog
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 03:22:09 am »
I would have been more excited if it were a macbook scaled down to a tablet rather than an ipod touch scaled up to a tablet.  I'm not likely to buy one of these.  Some (potential) problems:

1) Adobe Flash may not work
2) Very limited storage compared to a laptop
3) No multitasking (besides the builtin apps like on the iPhone)
4) No global lock on the rotate.  That irritates me with my iPhone.
5) Would like to be able to teather to my existing iPhone instead of paying another AT&T fee to connect.
6) I'm concerned about the software model being like iPhone rather than MacBook.  I want to be able to freely compile stuff and run it on there without going through Apple or being a dev.

There are other problems that I've had with Apple stuff like the iPhone not doing wireless sync, not wanting to ever be connected to more than one machine ever, etc.  Mind you, I have a MacBook and and iPhone and I really like them, but it is still irritating.
My blog on learning how to develop FPGA versions of arcade boards: http://garymct.blogspot.com

mpm32

• Cheesecake Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 09:25:14 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 09:05:36 am »
If you can fit a camera into the iPhone, you can fit one into the iPad.

If they can fit a camera into the nano, they can fit one in anything.

Just got my wife a nano and I don't get how they put a camera into that tiny thing.

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 09:35:53 am »
It has a camera adapter.  It has many adapters.  Just another way for Apple to make more $.

It is short on memory but apparently it can share a part of a disk with a PC or Mac.   No details on this yet and no info on what adapter you have to buy to do this.

Ed_McCarron

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 10:27:11 am »
Apple doesn't want you to have one device to do multiple things.  Want to do video chat?  Buy an iMac.  Want to read stuff?  Use the iPad.

Its to consume media, not create it.

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 04:36:39 pm
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 10:28:26 am »
IMO, things they could've done to make this a killer product:

1) Camera(s) - at LEAST one for skype/ichat..  If not one on both sides...
2) Want my wife to use it?  Add in a free stylus (they make them for capacitive) and some handwriting recognition so she can jot down notes around the house
3) Side dock connector..  What if I don't want to dock it to the keyboard in portrait mode?

Things they can easily fix with a few well-timed software updates:
1) Multitasking
2) Better overall interface (does anyone else think that seeing a row of small icons on the screen just seems silly..?  They're WAY too spread apart..  They need to ditch the iphone interface for choosing apps on the bigger tablet)
3) iLife

My $0.02... 

Fordman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2021, 11:20:27 am
  • MADE in the USA
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 11:54:41 am »
So this thing is basically a digital book, notepad and iPod?

massive88

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 11:55:52 am »
I cant wrap my head around why this is any better than a netbook that costs significantly less.

Netbooks get you flash, tons more storage, webcams, USB ports, multitasking, free keyboards, more outputs, and more inputs.

If a netbook is too big (really?) people have phones to be lazy with their internet browsing, and typing emails at 15 wpm.  This seems to try to fit in between using your phone (or iPod), and a netbook, which I dont see as a place that needs any more fleshing out.  Anything bigger than a phone, I want more power, and a keyboard, both are easily gotten from netbooks.

I guess thats why Im an engineer and not in marketing.  I cant see getting a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- ton less usability for more money.  

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 01:44:23 pm »
I cant wrap my head around why this is any better than a netbook that costs significantly less.

Netbooks get you flash, tons more storage, webcams, USB ports, multitasking, free keyboards, more outputs, and more inputs.

If a netbook is too big (really?) people have phones to be lazy with their internet browsing, and typing emails at 15 wpm.  This seems to try to fit in between using your phone (or iPod), and a netbook, which I dont see as a place that needs any more fleshing out.  Anything bigger than a phone, I want more power, and a keyboard, both are easily gotten from netbooks.

I guess thats why Im an engineer and not in marketing.  I cant see getting a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- ton less usability for more money.  

I agree it is less usability for more/same money.  I see the niche as a true Internet appliance.  Give one of these to grandma and she's on the web.  No updates, no anti-virus, less functionality but less hassle as well.  My mom would love this to surf the net and check email in her living room.  If I could email her pictures of the grand kids and they would automatically show up in iPhoto she would love that as well.

I'm in higher education and am excited to see where this might lead with textbooks.  Apple is working with major publishers and seems real committed to getting text books onto the iPad.  If that takes off it will be a real game changer.  Especially if they can make it enough of a computer that students can take notes and write basic papers on it.  It needs a lot more work mind you but that functionality could be added in later revisions.

It is not a perfect device by any stretch and is not for everyone.  But it does have some real potential.

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 02:05:19 pm »
Collection of ipad articles on gizmodo

Link

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 02:36:48 pm »
I'm just laughing my balls off. All these comments while NO-ONE has even held the product in hands and used it.

Exactly the same comments were all over the place about the iPod.
Exactly the same comments were all over the place about the iPhone.

This is going to be a hit.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 03:15:37 pm »
You know what ... I see a definite market for this and, to my surprise, I think that I'm it.

I was going to pick up a netbook because i need something a little lighter weight than my big notebooks for when I go to meetings, etc.

I also do a ton of reading on my BB, but it sucks for anything scanned (say, schematics for an arcade PCB). I also do some other stuff on my BB that would better be handled by an "in between device" ... simple tasks via remote access to servers, for example.

I also loves me my portable media when I am away from the bunker ... it doesn't happen that often, but enough that I find it tiring to watch video on my BB, despite the nice screen. And how often do I check here and on various other sites where something bigger than my BB would provide a better experience ?

I love Mrs. Cheffo's netbook, but could never really reconcile the fact that I have the exact same functionality in the exact same package, just with a bigger size.

I think I have finally found a (modern) Apple gadget that I can want for what it actually is and does.

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 03:29:57 pm »
I think a subdued hit, but a hit. IE: not the same numbers as the Iphone/Itouch, but when considering they are really attacking the eReader market, they have a good shot.

As mentioned, although they should have had some of the missing features, that's not smart from a company perspective, gotta leave room for the 2nd/3rd/future generations.  I doubt outside of hacking it we'll see any support for flash, but that's always a possibility, even for ported OS'es that multitask.

I like it for the potential for touchscreen jukebox app we'll surely see.  I'm also a fan of the casual apps and they should fit right in.  I'll probably pass on this generation though, but there is potential there.

Blanka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2010, 04:06:50 pm »
The biggest fail of the iPad is that it is in fact the best computer for people that never worked with a computer, yet it does not work WITHOUT ANOTHER COMPUTER. That is SO lame!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 04:17:18 pm »
Mmmm, let's estimate the number of people without a computer that would want to buy an iPad........mmmmmmm.......

1 ?

Show me a person with a netbook who doesn't also have a "real" computer....