Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Bar Top Trio + Donkey Kong Junior MAME+MaLa project w/ video  (Read 10137 times)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
I had a prior thread that was all over the place, touching on each of my projects.
I thought I would simplify things and start a new thread all about my bar top project(s).

I picked up three bar tops with the intention of putting some 48-in-1 boards into them.
Two will be for resale and one for my personal collection.

I'd like them all to have a classic look, something that (in my opinion) keeps with the feel of the original cabinets and the games on the boards.
I did up a ruff concept pic in photoshop.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:32:38 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Re: The Bar Top Trio
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 12:37:21 am »
My "keeper" cabinet will be a light purple with DK Jr. side art on it if all goes well.
The other two machines will be a yellow and orange color.
I've paired up the paint with a colorful ball top and buttons to match.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 12:38:57 am »
Like everyone I'd like to use this forum to post my project as I start it and complete it ! (Hopefully sooner then later !)
I was hoping I could use this thread as a means of posting questions, seeking advice, just getting overall feedback as I work on this project.
This will be my 1st time wiring up a jamma cabinet from the bottom up. Needless to say I have many questions and am very nervous.

When I took apart this bar top machine I noticed the power went :
From the plug to the fuse
fuse to the power switch
and from the power switch the wires were spliced into the power supply and isolation chamber (not sure what it is called)
from the isolation block (or whatever two lines went to the monitor chassis)

Now when you look at the above diagram I found done by Bob Roberts he has a filter and power distribution block.
These were not found in my bar top, are they important ? required ? should I get them ?

Or is it ok to simply take the wires from the power switch and run them to the isolation block and power supply ?

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 12:42:00 am »
So I have these bartop machines that I'm converting into 48-in-1's.
I noticed on the chassis that it has two switches.
They read :

POSI-V-NEGA & POSI-H-NEGA

So obviously (BOY WAS I WRONG) they are for vertical & horizontal orientation.
I would assume for my needs I would put the V switch to "POSI" & the H switch to "NEGA."

EDIT : Cofrimed that both switches should be switched to "NEGA"

I also noticed on the chassis a section for the yoke, where one says H & one V.
Obviously depending on the orientation depends on which you use.
*** EDIT *** Do you connect the set with the letter that would match your monitor orientation ?
V - vertical, H - horizontal
I've included pictures, but I cant tell which is for which.
I labeled it in photoshop, I think I have it correct.

CONFIRMED : If the image displayed is upside down simply switch to the unused connection
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 11:59:33 am by mike boss »

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 04:22:44 pm »
One question.....
How do you plan on rotating the monitors for vertical orientation to use with a 48in1 ?
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 09:41:15 pm »
The guy I purchased the cabinets off of says he flips a ton of these little units.
When he sold them (which could be a pitch I guess) said they could easily be rotated.
I've taken apart two of the three cabinets.
I can clearly see that in one of the cabinets the monitor at some point was vertically mounted.

However cabinet two is a different story. The monitor and chassis are completely different.
I would assume I could turn everything on its side, however I'm unsure.
I'll need to post some pictures to provided a clearer idea of what I'm talking about.
There was some.......extra material I guess you would call it in the cabinet. A shelf of sorts that the coin box rested below.
I removed that from the cabinet to create extra room.
I may have to get a little help from my  father in law but I'm sure I will be able to mount the monitor in the correct orientation.

In the even that I can not, I do believe that the 48-in-1 board has an option to rotate the image. So perhaps I can leave the monitor in the horizontal state
and simply change the options. I am aware it will be a smaller picture.

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 01:08:44 am »
That particular cabinet looks like it's possible..... I was looking at your first mockup pic thinking it was an older Merit / Megatouch type unit which has no room at all to turn them.

And no.... the 48in1's do NOT have an option to flip the orientation.
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:06:57 pm »
In cabinet number two the monitor chassis was attached to a big metal bracket.
On the top of the cabinet were two pieces of wood that left a gap at the top of the cabinet.
The chassis on its metal housing simply slid into place.
I've included a picture.

For my installation I'm going to remove the chassis from the metal housing.
I've traced out a piece of plywood that I will need to cut in order to mount the monitor vertically.

This is the bracket that was in the 1st cabinet.
I just traced it onto a piece of wood so that I could use the same template in cabinet number two.

I checked to make sure the monitor would fit vertically and that the hole was the correct size.
The only thing I need to do is make it about a quarter inch shorter.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:24:27 pm »
The most daunting part of this process will be the wiring of the cabinets.
I've never done anything like this before.
I will even need to do some soldering for the very first time with this project.
I'm trying really hard to study things as I take them apart but these cabinets are a mess inside.
I keep referring back to the Bob Roberts tutorial, which does seem easy enough, yet still a little daunting.
I've only gutted two of three cabinets but neither has had the power distribution block or the AC filter as per the diagram.
I've contacted a local seller of arcades and arcade parts trying to see if they have these items available.
Also to see if they have new power switches as the switches all seem buggered.
( I honestly don't know if arcade games require some sort of special power switch )

As much as I tried to pay attention when I took these suckers apart they really were a mess.
I think with some patience and some help I'll be able to get these guys done.

This was the mess of wires  I was dealing with.
I wish I had taken a few more pictures just to know what was going where.

I got things gutted and cleaned up.

My understanding is three wires come in from the plug, the black would go directly to the fuse, and from the fuse out to switch.

So once the ground (green), white, and black (coming off the fuse) have gone to the switch I then attach the white & black wire from the isolation to the switch.
I also splice in the black and white connections that goto the power supply.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:29:37 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 01:11:22 pm »
For some reason I'm getting really thrown by the fact that the two wires coming off the isolation transformer have quick disconnects on them. It's making me  think they were plugged into the power supply, but I can't see a reason for that. Sadly that is where I wish I had paid a little closer attention.
When I get back cabinet three I'll need to really observe carefully which wire went where.
In the meantime in Photoshop I did a draft of how I need to wire the cabinet. I believe I've covered all my steps.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 07:32:40 am »
I've been having a hard time locating AC distribution blocks and AV filters (as per Bob Roberts wiring diagram).
So I've decided to move onto painting for now. My brother is an electrician and at a later date he will help me with all the wiring. For what its worth I'm not a big fan of the new Krylon paint. I find it doesn't cover well.
I've used two cans just to do one little bar top.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 01:54:24 am »
I've contacted Bob Roberts about placing an order for the parts I need.
With our Canadian dollar strong and the shipping reasonable I think it would be for the best.
Bob has everything I need.
I'm still waiting on getting my new control panels and third bar top. My co-worker who was helping me with the project still has my stuff !
Anyway cabinet one and two are gutted. Cabinet two is painted. Sadly I have a lil over run on some of the t-moulding. So I'll need to take care of that this week.
Also got a lil paint on the coin mech that I will need to remove.
HOWEVER the lesson learned was that when it comes to painting my KEEPER cabinet I'll remove the t-moulding.
I'm also going to prime it with flat white paint. I think the purple will really pop. I was not happy with the new Krylon paint. I found it to be very opaque. I needed two cans which I thought was very odd. I'll post the pics shortly. I'm not fully happy with the paint job, but again this isnt my cabinet so I'm not sweating it.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 09:47:56 pm »
Got one of three cabinets painted. Also managed to get out to a local auto parts store to pick up some miscellaneous wires,connectors, and  even a security bit set.
I'll do more work this week for sure ! I've picked up a ton of paint. I found these cabinets all be it small took two cans of the new Krylon paint.
It's very opaque (IMHO) .

I'm still waiting on a price from Bob Roberts for my order. I'm going to get my switches, line filters, and distribution blocks thru him.

Anyway here are a few more pics !

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 08:01:22 pm »
Did a lil more work cleaning up the coin mechs.
I'm still souring out some of the required parts I need to wire up the cabinets.
I'm hoping this weekend to make some good progress.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 03:48:19 pm »
I'm trying to locally find some parts I'll need for this project. I'm hoping I'll get out to a local electronics retailer this week.
In the meantime I'm still reading up on do's and dont's, trying to better grasp what I should or should not do for this project.
Because one is a keeper and two are resale I don't want to take any chances.
In the meantime I've started to paint the second cabinet (the keeper).
I decided I would use a flat white paint as a base and I'll apply the Krylon in about 24hrs.
I want to give the paint time to cure and I don't want to rush this job.

I've removed the t-moulding which I'm hoping to replace with white t-moulding at a later time.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 03:13:18 pm »
Bar top two of three painted.....and just about fully back together.
I got this wrapped up lastnight and began to assemble it today.
I'm hoping to get some white t-moulding for this cabinet.
The color is Krylon "Gumdrop" it looks a lil pink, but its a light purple (as picked by my wife).

The top will remain black as will the control panel (not shown). The buttons will be black and ball top for the Hori stick will be translucent purple.
Any thoughts on the white t-moulding ? Will it look good, bad, should I stick with black ?

(again the top of the cabinet, as well as the back and control panel will remain flat black)

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 12:31:37 pm »
I hit a major snag in this project, which to be honest seems to be the way this hobby goes for.
But I can't lie I'm never really in a rush to complete anything, that's one of my faults.
Speaking to a co-worker one time I discovered he shared a mutual interest in arcade games and MAME.
He like myself was a hobbyist, but his other hobby was working with wood.
The computer side of MAME he knew nothing about.
After talking for sometime we worked out an arrangement that would benefit us both.
I would install and configure MAME on both his and his brothers arcade cabinets and he would
build me two control panels for my bar tops.
Long and short of it I thought it would be easier to bring the bar top to him.
This would ensure a custom fitting control panel.
He stalled, and stalled, and stalled. I even gave an "easy out."
Letting him know that completed or not I'd like the stuff back.
Anyway four months went by, I truly think he was hoping I would just forget and move on.
I finally got my stuff back, only thing was he didn't do a thing. Not one piece of wood cut, not one
hold drilled, not one screw screwed. The only thing that got screwed was me !

Now with the bar top back at my house all three units have been painted and assembled.
I just got in some JLF wiring harnesses from China, and picked up all the wire and parts I need to wire these up.
I had a few questions with respect to the AC power but they have been solved.

This week I plan on getting my jamma harnesses bundled a-la-Bob Roberts. And I'm hoping that next week
my father in law can help me cut out some new monitor supports and build the control panels.

Once that is done I'll be bringing the bar tops to my brother who is an electrician so he can help wiring up the power.
All the buttons and joysticks, monitor connection, etc I will do myself.

Anyway here are some pics of the progress.

solidteezme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2014, 08:01:48 am
  • Awesome!
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 07:40:47 am »

I would install and configure MAME on both his and his brothers arcade cabinets and he would
build me two control panels for my bar tops.
Long and short of it I thought it would be easier to bring the bar top to him.
This would ensure a custom fitting control panel.
He stalled, and stalled, and stalled. I even gave an "easy out."
Letting him know that completed or not I'd like the stuff back.
Anyway four months went by, I truly think he was hoping I would just forget and move on.

I hope you didn't hold up your side of the bargain ;) That guy sounds like a  :tool:

I think there are always gonna be people like that in a hobby like this, like the idea, but are not willing to give it any time, effort or hard work. :cheers:
╔══╦═╦═╦═╦╦╦═╦═╦═╦╦╗
╚╗╔╣═╣═╬═║╔╣═║╔╣═╣╔╝
─║║║═╣═╣═╣║║║║╚╣═╣║─
─╚╝╚═╩═╩═╩╝╚╩╩═╩═╩╝─

crip102468

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2021, 11:10:26 am
  • My house is your house.
    • TomorrowzWeaponz
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 12:58:29 am »
Aww i feel for you hoping to get your bartops back and to only have fun and play games. Its a shame that people say they gona help or do favors and never do them. Feeling left out in the cold sucks i hope you do finish these project i would love to see how it comes out thx for sharing. :applaud:

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 11:31:34 am »
Long time since I posted about this project.
I've made a little progress, but things around the house have really taken top rank.
That's one thing I will say, I lack passion. Too many other interests, or really just not enuff interest in one thing.
The idea with these bartops was keep one, sell two.
Funny considering its July 25th, that I had wanted these done for X-Mass 2009.
None the less I didn't "need" the money, so it wasn't a big deal that they didn't get done & sold.
I got F*CT for 4 months with the promise of control panels that never even got done.
I've enlisted the help of my father in law to help me with this. (I also have my brother on stand by)
However I will say this, I've learned a lesson. I shouldn't need to count on anyone for this hobby.
And that was %100 my fault. So some good has come of this.
I've decided like many local guys in my area that I should make this hobby pay for itself.
Many of them making and selling 48-in-1 or 60-in-1 machines on the local Kijiji/Criagslist.
And with that it's about time I get my own tools. I have your basic, VERY BASIC tool kit.
But perhaps some better saws, router, etc would be a worth while investment.
So none the less, alotta time was wasted, but a valuable lesson was learned.

So here is whats new.
On the keeper (the purple cabinet) I broke the neck of the monitor.
This really sucks, as I recall that one of the monitors was a little off.
It was possibly something that could have been fixed with some easy adjustments, but I'm unsure.
The keeper had a good monitor, that is until I got a little  ruff with it.
I'm hoping I can discharge it and use the chassis on the other monitor should it not be fixed after some tweaking.
I've cut two new monitor supports.
I've purchased a 15" LCD monitor for the keeper.
I purchased some side art printed on 12"x18" sticker stock.
It needs to be hand cut, but that will be for the keeper cabinet.
I'll have the option of side art and LCD monitor upgrades when selling the cabinets.
I've purchased the materials I need to have the control panels built.
The hope (fingers crossed) is to get a free day one weekend that either the father in law or brother are available.
Bang those out, paint em, install em.
My brother in an electrician and he is going to help me wire up all the cabinets.
The jamma element of it I have no issue with. But as far as the power goes I want to be sure.
With the cabinets getting sold I'd rather feel they were done well.
I spoke to a guy I work with that was an electrical engineer. He asked me to draw a diagram
for what I was planning. He said technically it was all correct, the voltages, the amps, etc.
So I feel good. But even at that, I'm sure my brother could do it three times faster.

** in the meantime pics can be seen on my blog http://www.mymissiontomame.blogspot.com/ **

thanks

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 09:39:44 pm »
I'm back ! And with me this project, rejuvenated, reinvigorated, and just simply PUSHING to get these things done and sold !
After putting these things on the back burner for quite some time I decided to ask my father in law for help with the control panels.
The funny thing, what took someone 4 months of d*cking me around took him about 20 minutes.
10 little pieces of wood was all it took. They were UGLY at first, I wont lie, very BOXY. But a little time with the sander I shaped them quite well.
With the control panels done I pushed forward.
I sold the  two working arcade monitors in order to get some money and purchase LCD monitors instead.
Thought it would make for better resale.
I ordered some side art which looks super awesome and was a great price.
I also had a friend from work come and wire the cabinets up for me.
(Well not all, one) It  took us longer than we had both expected.
However that night we did get one working, and he was kind enuff to take everything home (wiring wise) and prepare all the wires for me.
He cut everything to size, added the proper terminals,connectors,etc. Even suggested I add an extra fuse on the fan line for safety.
All that really remains now is that I purchase a soldering iron and wrap up the final two machines.
None the less they are posted for sale, so I did meet my X-mass goal, all be it 2010.
I'm just glad to have them done.

I've started work on a DK JR project. I'm looking forward to wrapping that up by the new year. I really think I can make that deadline.

Here are some pics. The "keeper" (which is the purple bartop) is going to feature DK JR side art, I just havent installed that yet.
I added some white t-molding, its looking good.
I'll post the final pic shortly.

Here is the DK Jr project as it stands now. I'm working on the PC. I'll try to pick up an LCD monitor on boxing day. Then it should come together rather quickly.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jipp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2016, 07:29:49 pm
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 10:34:52 pm »
well at least you did not give up and you finish them.. maybe not in the time line you wanted.. but none the less.. you did good, and reached a goal.. something a lot of people cant do, for lack of passion, time, or pure lazyness.  (  my problem is im to damn ADD at times ... well thats my story and im sticking to it. laughs...  )

I like you learn not to depend on people..  my little brother was suppose to help me cut the 8 foot sheets of OSB, but never showed up.. so i just bought some saw horses and i wont have to ask him again. 

your new project looks great.  cant wait to see it come to life..and that orange looks great. 

chris.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 10:59:00 pm »
I appreciate the kind words. I've learned alot in the few years I've been into this hobby. Each project gets done faster, more complex, better results.
I too suffer from the LAZY BUG, it's that and a lack of passion that makes for a deadly combo. Too many other interests really, none that really take front stage. However for me its just about having fun and having some cool stuff. When I did my MAME cabinet I was honestly nervous every step of the way. That project took sooooo long. I would read things over and over. With the bartops 4 months were wasted waiting on a "friend" to help me out. But as you said a lesson was learned. With this project the confidence had grown by leaps and bounds. These cabinets were wired from scratch, that is a first for me. Even testing the voltages was a first for me. I can now say with confidence I can wire a cabinet in full from scratch. To me that's awesome ! The DK JR was my 1st shot at bondo.... but that will be another thread.

In the end I have three bartop projects that I'm proud of. All be it a little work still remains I'm confident it can be done easily. My buddy (one I can count on) said he is willing to help me should I need the help. But how hard can it be to solder the connections ?

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 11:36:41 am »
Haven't added the side art to the "keeper" yet, want a second set of hands.
But I did add white t-molding. Quite happy with the outcome of this project.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 06:56:48 pm »
Nice to see you are back at it.    Looking good. :applaud:

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 11:15:10 pm »
So here is the status :

Bar Top One (The Keeper) w/DK JR side art : wired and working, however having monitor issues. The monitor does not allow for screen adjustments (size). The auto focus still leaves the sides of the game cut off. Purchased it from a local seller who buys and sells off lease PC's. He agreed to switch it, but had nothing in stock.
So I've removed the monitor to return to him. But once I get the monitor it's a quick install.

Bar Top Two (For Sale) w/ DK 3 side art & orange paint job : wired and working, and up for sale. Just completed it two days ago. Installed the monitor and cleaned up all the wiring. Working and playing great. Really happy with the outcome. Listed locally @ $550 hoping to move it fast.

Bar Top Three (For Sale) w/ DK side art & yellow paint job : all wired and just waiting for a monitor. Hoping to exchange my old monitor soon and pick up another for this. Once complete I'll get this listed for sale.

Glad to have these done, I learned a ton doing this project. Was the first time I ever scratch wired a cabinet. Really happy with the outcome. I was never in a rush (obvious to anyone who seen the blog) nor was I hard up for the money. Perhaps if I was they would have been done faster, but none the less they are done.

I'll post some pics later.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 05:12:30 pm »
Keep meaning to post pics & video.
I had a little set back with one of the monitors (15" LCD) cutting off a portion of my image.
The "auto" feature would not properly calibrate. I had to replace the monitor, which I did....
however it's in a larger case. Looks like I'll need to cut down the monitor casing.

Bartop one is fully done and locally up for sale on Kijiji.
Bartop two is just waiting for another LCD monitor, but is good to go once installed.
My keeper bartop, bartop 3 is the one that requires the monitor casing to be trimmed down.

I love these lil machines. The sideart was well worth it. They look and play great.
I'm really happy with it, and I'll be sorta sad to see em go.

Over and above these I'm doing my DK JR project.
Here is the video, its just about done :

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 11:31:55 pm »

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:36:33 pm by mike boss »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
Re: The Bar Top Trio + Donkey Kong Junior MAME+MaLa project w/ video
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 09:27:27 am »
Looks great. I would like it more with white t-molding.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 04:35:25 pm »
Picked up a Popeye marquee (temporary solution) today.
T-molding I'm getting when a buddy goes to the states.
Cost too much to ship to Canada, not worth it for a $7-10 part.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 06:21:31 pm »
Just a quick video of the bartops.
Two of three are done, I'm waiting to find an LCD monitor used for number three.
Wanna keep my cost down as much as I can.
Really like these machines.

Here is the DK JR again. Sideart, coin sticker, and t-molding still need to be put on. Most everything else is done. I've created like 20 custom MaLa layouts. Tried my luck with scanlines........which were awesome ! BUT they slowed the PC down, to the point where they weren't worth having. Only tweak that I have to do now is set MaLa to shutdown the PC upon escape.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:23:25 pm by mike boss »