Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: i-pac 2 - programming issues  (Read 2515 times)

mameymame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2010, 03:36:17 am
i-pac 2 - programming issues
« on: December 14, 2009, 01:46:09 am »
Hi all,

I'm making a mame cabinet with a friend and we've gone with the i-pac 2 as it is a 2 player setup.

Everything is working fine with the controls, except the programming. The default config is 99.9% fine, but we need coin 2 assigned like coin 1 is (Turtles in Time demands it!). I'm trying to make shift key + player 2 sw 1 as the coin 2 button (i.e. '6' for MAME).

So I connected a PS2 KB to the pass through, turned on the PC, went a windows command window, typed COPY CON NULL, and pressed ctrl-alt-p. I then pressed left shift on the keyboard, then p2 sw1 on the control panel, and then pressed '6' on the keyboard. I then pressed 'e' to exit and save, and closed the CMD window. For safe measure, I shut the PC down, flipped the PSU switch off then back on, and booted into my front end, just to confirm the config saved on a power down.

From what I understand, this should now make p1 start + p2 sw1 = coin for the 2nd player, but it doesn't. Going back to the ctrl-alt-p menu and pressing 'l' to list the current config suggests that there is no shift assignment for p2 sw1 at all, let alone the correct value of '6'. In fact, it seems the assignment I attempted to program instead got assigned to p1 start + p2 right (on the joystick).

A quick search here suggests this thread poster had a similar issue (without a posted resolution):

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=97466.0

I tried to program other p2 buttons the same way, but they all failed and simply kept assigning values to p2 right.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, pressing Print Screen when assigning a value to a button is meant to make it null, but it doesn't on my i-pac 2. I can't remember what value it assigned exactly (not near my mame cab at the moment to check), but it wasn't null.

Also, lastly, the 'r' entry in my ctrl-alt-p menu is missing, i.e., I can't reset my config to factory default from this menu. The guide at the i-pac website says it should be there?

Anyway, any help is much appreciated, but it seems to me my i-pac 2 is a bit of a dud, no?

Haterot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2012, 09:27:41 am
Re: i-pac 2 - programming issues
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:03:35 am »
Just a question but why aren't you using the Ipac software to configure your Ipac2?
Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets

mameymame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 01:28:46 am »
Just seemed easier this way. I only wanted to add Coin 2, everything else is mapped fine. That and the cabinet is already setup with its front end and getting into Windows to install/configure stuff is a bit of a hassle (FTP server for ROM uploads ftw!).

I might give it a shot but by the sounds of it the other poster didn't have any success with the software.

Anyone else have any ideas? Is there a better place to ask about i-pacs?

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2024, 08:39:43 am
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 03:19:32 am »
Email Andy directly at Ultimarc.  He's great to work with.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 06:32:55 pm »
I can send you a firmware upgrade which will cure the interactive programming issue on the first batch of new version boards. But its easier to use the WinIPAC software.

Andy

mameymame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 03:20:58 am »
Oh, I might try the software then. I'll let you know how I go (probably be a few days before I try).

Out of curiosity, is there a guide or something around on updating the ipac's firmware?

mameymame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 05:32:58 pm »
Ok I tried the software but it didn't seem to work. I got a timeout when trying to append settings to the ipac2.

Guess I might try the firmware update then?

Thanks.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 08:31:37 am »
The WinIPAC program should work.

Make sure you are using the latest version from www.ultimarc.com/download.html. If you have a previous version, delete the install folder before installing this version.

Make sure the board type and interface type are set correctly in "options". The top setting is the correct one for current I-PAC 2 boards.