Posted here for a larger audience...
As some of you may be aware I've been working really hard over the last few months to create a complete Controls.xml file for use with CPWizard and similar software. Well here's the alpha release!
Please note, this is not meant to be a complete documentation project like the excellent work done by SirPoonga, merely a guide to what each game's buttons are for!
I think I've included every parent rom in MAME 0.134 with the following exceptions:
1. Games not currently working in MAME.
2. Games that do not run on my system.
3. Games in the following genres - Casino, Quiz, Mahjong, Pinball, Tabletop, *Mature*, BIOS
4. Games in foreign languages that I've not been able to work out how to play!
I've been verifying games using the following references:
1. Photos of control panels
3. In-game instructions
Any game for which I've been unable to find one of the above references has been marked as unverified. In this case, buttons have been given generic names like "Fire" or "Jump" etc.
The plan for the future of this project is as follows:
1. Re-check all games for spelling errors/typos.
2. Re-check references for all unverified games. *BETA RELEASE*
3. Fill in Colors.ini for all verified games (where possible).
4. Add games in the Quiz / English genre.
5. Fill in all clones.
6. Update to latest MAME version for final release.
7. Keep up to date with MAME.
8. Fill in any requests (e.g. if someone *REALLY* wants to me to do all the Casino or Mature games I'll do them)
How can you help?
1. Post details here for games I've been unable to fill in.
2. Post details of any mistakes.
3. Test the file with other CP viewers.
Anyway, please find the file attached below, and bear in mind it's an alpha release!