Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: another wheel?  (Read 5909 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re:another wheel?
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2003, 08:08:39 pm »
adjust your antitrospic (spelling?) filtering in your video card settings.  That should get rid of it.  :)

AlanS17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2003, 10:47:44 pm »
Is that a front-end option or do you mean literally in my video card settings?

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2003, 01:03:32 am »
Why is the marquee fuzzy/blurry when it's in the "select" position? As it come sinto position it seems to be in focus but it gets blurrier until it's hard to read by the time it gets into the primary position. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Might be the filtering of the bitmap...while moving your eye sees it diffrently...one of the things i have to make optional because it actually might look worse as it apprently does for you...

Try turning on anisotropic filtering for your vidcard in your graphics driver settings that will help...

peter

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2003, 02:41:54 am »
hehe corssposting...yeah in your graphics driver setting not in the fe.

here is a pic how it looks for me:
http://www.i-modernist.com/vegasbigwheel.png

i can get even slightly beter results by turning filtering (biliniar) inside the fe off (not accessable yet to the user) and upping the anisptropic setting in the graphics driver some more...

here is another pic with the normal build you also got but with quility setting upped to the max in the graphics driver, framerate is exactly the same. again this is using opengl. directx looks a bit better and is faster but somehow does not feel as smooth to me:
http://www.i-modernist.com/vegasbigwheel2.png

peter
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 04:43:56 am by )p( »

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2003, 02:37:37 pm »
Both those images you posted are infinitely clearer than mine. Plus I've been using OpenGL with my Radeon 7000, but I see you mentioned that DirectX can be clearer and faster? Would you recommend I give that a shot? (I already intend to mess with the anisptropic settings.)

One other question (until I can come up with more)... Will increasing that video setting cause my performance to take a hit? There's usually a trade off between performance and quality.

P.S. I appreciate the time and attention you've given to getting this thing working for just one person.

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2003, 04:45:03 pm »
Both those images you posted are infinitely clearer than mine. Plus I've been using OpenGL with my Radeon 7000, but I see you mentioned that DirectX can be clearer and faster? Would you recommend I give that a shot? (I already intend to mess with the anisptropic settings.)

One other question (until I can come up with more)... Will increasing that video setting cause my performance to take a hit? There's usually a trade off between performance and quality.

just try it go to the general cfg menu and select it from the poup list...opengl is much more robust in my experience though...

on my card i don't see any difference in framerate even with anisotropic at 8x but i usually have it on 2.

i also enable anti-aliaising on to remove jadged edges on models. Also in the graphic card driver not the fe!

peter
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 04:55:41 pm by )p( »

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2003, 11:00:30 pm »
Took me a lil while but I found the anisotropic filtering. Only had two options - automatic and 16X so i switched it over to 16X. Makes a lil bit of an improvement, but still a bit blurry. I'ts acceptable, though. The thing is performing like a champ.

I know Powerstrip (which I actually use for quick mode switching) has the ability to overclock the video processor and memory. Can anybody tell me if they've tried this? Is it actually beneficial? I have no problem with just leaving it alone if it's too much of an issue.

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2003, 01:06:52 am »
to get less blur changing the lighting might help...you could try to go to the list mananger...click on vegasredbigwheel in the arcades section..choose edit...then in section 5. change lightposition1 to light1position|-70 90 0|

peter

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2003, 01:17:24 am »
Oh I found the problem. The OpenGL and Direct3D have there own setting for anisotropic filtering (duh). So I changed them both to be sure and it's crystal clear.

I was using Direct3D for the speed but it was switching back to software mode after I exitted a game so I went back to OpenGL. It doesn't seem to be quite so fast, but it's more reliable. Plus this way I won't have to reload my list every time I exit a game. The wierd thing is that it wasn't doing that ealier in Direct3D but it is now... Happens in both versions... Oh well...

I'm gonna rebuild my lists a lil later. Not gonna work on that tonight, though. Gonna wait til I get my other emulators. Plus I wanna make some pretty icons for the menu screens. I'll do that this weekend, though (if I can find the time).

If I have any other questions I'll be sure to bring them up. One thing I wanna work on is animations or rotating images for a selected game without using a video file. My computer isn't the fastest and it tends to trip. I'm pretty sure I heard you mention something of this sort before. Any suggestions?

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2003, 01:43:45 am »
if you don't use the fpsarcade there is an easy solution for your problem with direct-x...in the general configuration menu in section 4 set renderfix to true...but still I would prefer opengl at least on my geforces.

video tends to trip? no i don't know what you mean?

peter

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2003, 10:22:26 am »
Well when the video starts it oftens pauses the background music and the first couple frames get a bit choppy or it takes a lil while to start. The speech never messes up, though. I tries holding the speech to see if that would affect performance, but it really didn't.

Actually when you get all those sounds in there together it starts to get a bit busy, anyways.

I was considering using rederfix, but I wasn't sure how long that would take eveyr time I come back from a game. I'll give it a shot to see hwo it turns out.

If you need any testing done then I'm your guinea pig.

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2003, 10:46:04 am »
Well when the video starts it oftens pauses the background music and the first couple frames get a bit choppy or it takes a lil while to start. The speech never messes up, though. I tries holding the speech to see if that would affect performance, but it really didn't.

Actually when you get all those sounds in there together it starts to get a bit busy, anyways.

I was considering using rederfix, but I wasn't sure how long that would take eveyr time I come back from a game. I'll give it a shot to see hwo it turns out.

If you need any testing done then I'm your guinea pig.

you could try the altsound|true| to use the laternative sound system...but yeah with all that stuff going slower system probably will have difficulty to keep up... ;)

renderfix will probably not be noticable in cylarcade....only in fpsarcade you might see it because it will reinstantiate all textures...

over the weekend i plan to make a new real beta available...that will then also have the definitive new options to make life with the "wheel" view of cylarcade easier in it...then you can try to crash it 8)

peter

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2003, 01:51:51 pm »
Sounds like a plan to me! Does this mean I'll have to reinstall from scratch? I suppose it's not a big deal if I do. I'm getting pretty familiar with all the settings I like. I may want to install from scratch, anyways.

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2003, 02:44:00 pm »
Sounds like a plan to me! Does this mean I'll have to reinstall from scratch? I suppose it's not a big deal if I do. I'm getting pretty familiar with all the settings I like. I may want to install from scratch, anyways.

I don't know if you changed the vegasredbigwheel skin and or arcade cfg file? I moved the optional wheel rotation and default model options to the arcade cfg file so you have to adjust that...they get automatically added to the arcade cfg template...so if you adjust it in the listmanager these options will be there to set to your likings...but if you did not change much i would just use the new versions of those two cfg files as a startpoint...

peter

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2003, 02:12:27 am »
here it is:

http://www.i-modernist.com/fe3darcade083beta1.zip

See the install notes for what is new and how to install. I also included the complete vegasredwheel skin this makes the file so big (7mb)  

Also try it with the normal default arcade cfg file (arcades\defalut.cfg) and skin (skins\horizontal.cfg) to see if I did not screw up while adding the new stuff 8)

peter

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2003, 05:47:04 pm »
and here is why it was a beta... ;)

found a bug...using search (v) or filter (b) gave errors in beta1!
why...splitting cylarcade and fpsarcade in the skins results in different objectnames to call...i forgot to update them in those ;-)

new beta:
http://www.i-modernist.com/fe3darcade083beta.zip

last post about beta's in this thread...

peter

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2003, 05:49:56 pm »
Would this problem be reflected in my series of upgrades? I noticed something wierd with the search, but I can't remember what the problem was now. I'm not at that computer, though, so I can't say for sure. (Maybe the problem is a faulty user.)

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2003, 06:02:29 pm »
Would this problem be reflected in my series of upgrades? I noticed something wierd with the search, but I can't remember what the problem was now. I'm not at that computer, though, so I can't say for sure. (Maybe the problem is a faulty user.)

sure it could...the first builds were just demo's and i moved stuff to different places...so ignore those...
reports of bugs in the beta are very welcome...but use beta2 now...i tested beta1 prettty thorougly and the above bug was the only one i could find...not bad to bad :D

peter

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2003, 06:05:26 pm »
Well I'm really good at breaking stuff, so maybe I'll find something...

(I'm single-handedly keeping all your threads busy, aren't I?)

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2003, 06:07:24 pm »
Well I'm really good at breaking stuff, so maybe I'll find something...

(I'm single-handedly keeping all your threads busy, aren't I?)

surely looks like that...  8)

peter

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2003, 06:10:39 pm »
Ok I'll shut up and leave you alone so you can get some work done...