Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame analog joystick mapping vs. u360 firmware mapping?  (Read 20655 times)

arzoo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 11:15:11 am
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
Re: Mame analog joystick mapping vs. u360 firmware mapping?
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2009, 09:19:25 am »
Hmmm, so where is the 'joystick_map' parametre in MAMEUI?

mame.ini in the \ini folder.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 01:13:40 am »

UI has its own ini in there, and it doesn't have the same stuff as the mame ini. Neither does the GUI ini.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 08:23:21 am »

UI has its own ini in there, and it doesn't have the same stuff as the mame ini. Neither does the GUI ini.

Hmmm - my install of MameUI (.129) has the joystick_map key in \ini\mame.ini
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 08:25:44 am »
Ummon:
What version of MAME are you using?

LLUncoolJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2015, 03:08:00 pm
  • This snowflake tastes like fish sticks!
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 03:48:33 pm »
I just hooked up my U360's. I am using Hyperspin and LEDBlinky. I added the heavier springs last night...a must have accessory.

So, 8 way games play great. I don't think MAME supports 49 way, but even Sinistar seems to play better. However, Pacman/Ms Pac are not behaving well. It acts a lot like an 8 way.

Let's pretend I'm a U360 noob...Do I have everything I need since I am already running LEDBlinky? Another thing I noticed was that the stick did nothing on several games (QBert, Robotron, Smash TV, Krull). I had to hit Tab and go into the MAME menu and manually configure the controls (actually select the direction input and push the stick in that direction). So I am thinking I am missing something here. Any suggestions? ???
You probably remember me from such films as `The Revenge of Abe Lincoln' and `The Wackiest Covered Wagon in the West'

Gameroom pics at http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=89006.40

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2009, 04:02:02 pm »
I just hooked up my U360's. I am using Hyperspin and LEDBlinky. I added the heavier springs last night...a must have accessory.

So, 8 way games play great. I don't think MAME supports 49 way, but even Sinistar seems to play better. However, Pacman/Ms Pac are not behaving well. It acts a lot like an 8 way.

Let's pretend I'm a U360 noob...Do I have everything I need since I am already running LEDBlinky? Another thing I noticed was that the stick did nothing on several games (QBert, Robotron, Smash TV, Krull). I had to hit Tab and go into the MAME menu and manually configure the controls (actually select the direction input and push the stick in that direction). So I am thinking I am missing something here. Any suggestions? ???

Assuming you have LEDBlinky configured correctly then it should be setting the u360 mode to 4-way for games like pacman. One thing you could try is open the Windows Game Controllers dialog (from control panel) and then start up HS. Run pacman then alt-tab to the Game Controllers window and see if the stick is actually in 4-way mode. You could also turn on the LEDBlinky Debug and Verbose options, run HS and pacman, then open the /LEDBlinky/debug.log file and search for the "Set UltraStik JDR Map..." messages - these should tell you which modes are set. If it's not working as expected, email me the debug.zip file and I'll take a look.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

LLUncoolJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2009, 04:04:22 pm »
Thanks Arzoo, I'll take a look at it when I get home tonight. Hopefully I can figure it out, if not I'll send you the debug file.
You probably remember me from such films as `The Revenge of Abe Lincoln' and `The Wackiest Covered Wagon in the West'

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 04:52:20 pm »
Just don't use the windows calibration thing when you're there. The U360 will be sub-optimal if you do since it is self-calibrating.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 06:55:35 pm »
@u_rebalscum (or anyone that knows) ... I keep reading your post (#12) of the pro's and cons, and am trying to decide about why to bother using the u360 maps at all ... I am still a little confused as to why I would bother. I WAS planning on just using the standard maps, nothing fancy ...

cons:
cannot change cell size
only one map can be set to all joysticks at a time
only works on mame
can be confusing to remap by hand (but there is a GUI app to do it for you)

Should I care about not being able to change the cell size? What practical need would I have for this? (I don't care about it only working for mame, or all joysticks per game). I was looking at this app: http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=mame&page=joymap which seems pretty close to the u360 app ... my only deterant for that is I don't want to create entried for everygame ... I'm not sure if there is a work around for that.

My head is totally spinning guys  :dizzy: someone please dumn this down for me. (I beg you)

Most people don't change the grid sizes.  It's a nice feature, but hardly needed.  But it's a feature that u360 has that mame doesn't. 

If you look at the images below, they have the same map, but the grid shapes are changed.  (FWIW, the images show unrealistic 4-way maps, with small "sticky" diagonals, and "clipped corners" of the ordinal directions.)   More flexiblity with the u360 in final shape of what area is converted to which direction.

My usual standance is:

If multiple emus: u360 script
If you already set up u360 scripts: don't change
If you're going to use a per game scripting app anyway: doing u360 also is a good idea
If you're very very very picky on the final converted shape: u360 is better

Otherwise, do like I do, be lazy, set u360 as analog all the time, and let mame handle the conversion.  Change mame's map for the few games that matter to you as you find them.  (I've only done qbert and 4-way games that mame emulates with 8-ways, and tron/dot.)

The you linked is great, but it came out after I learned mame joystick_map-ese, so I don't use it.  In most cases, mame's defaults are good enough, anyway, so I don't need to change anything.  If I wanted to do a mass remap, I'd probably use romlister to write the bat file to make one line ini files with just the joystick_map option.

Oh yeah, more people use the u360 maps because more people use u360, since more people recomend it.  Which also results in more people that can help you u360 script setup step by step.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

LLUncoolJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2009, 11:03:55 am »
Assuming you have LEDBlinky configured correctly then it should be setting the u360 mode to 4-way for games like pacman. One thing you could try is open the Windows Game Controllers dialog (from control panel) and then start up HS. Run pacman then alt-tab to the Game Controllers window and see if the stick is actually in 4-way mode. You could also turn on the LEDBlinky Debug and Verbose options, run HS and pacman, then open the /LEDBlinky/debug.log file and search for the "Set UltraStik JDR Map..." messages - these should tell you which modes are set. If it's not working as expected, email me the debug.zip file and I'll take a look.

Well, I tried the controller dialog. Of the games I tried, only Pacman was registering wrong. It was using an 8 way map. I got into the MAME control ini and Pacman wasn't there. I copied Ms PAc and changed the name, then tested and it played right. So I guess I am up and running again.

The object of the controller and FE change was to idiotproof the cabinet for kids and guests...and wife, and...well everybody but me. So hopefully mission accomplished.

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2009, 11:22:03 am »
Well, I tried the controller dialog. Of the games I tried, only Pacman was registering wrong. It was using an 8 way map. I got into the MAME control ini and Pacman wasn't there. I copied Ms PAc and changed the name, then tested and it played right. So I guess I am up and running again.

The object of the controller and FE change was to idiotproof the cabinet for kids and guests...and wife, and...well everybody but me. So hopefully mission accomplished.

pacman is a clone of puckman which should be in the controls.ini listed as 4-way - so I'm surprised that blinky didn't set it right. I did a test on my system and it worked fine. But you've got it working so no worries.

By the way - just for future reference; rather than modify the controls.ini file you can import the games into the LEDBlinky Controls Editor and make the changes there. The advantage to this method is if there's ever a new version of the controls.ini file released then you won't have lost your custom mods.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Blanka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2009, 09:12:07 am »
I really like the discussion here, but now a very concrete question:

What do I do to map a U360 correct for Pac-Man and Q-bert?

I put the U360 to analog with the utility.
I made a file qbert.ini in the INI folder consisting of this code:
Code: [Select]
-joystick_map 888555666...555555555...444555222
Is that correct? If not, how should I do it?

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2009, 05:31:24 pm »
What do I do to map a U360 correct for Pac-Man and Q-bert?

Qbert:
-joystick_map 4444s8888..444458888.444555888.ss5.222555666.222256666.2222s6666.2222s6666 (what mame used to automatically do.  Also, see below)

Pacman:  (should do it automatically but)
-joystick_map s8.4s8.44s8.4445

FWIW, your example is the right idea, but is rotated the wrong for qbert, and has very big "dead zones".  The one I posted above is unused code in mame's source; it's not used because it "killed" rotated 4-way joysticks.  The one I like, below, will work with rotated 4-way, normal 8-ways, u360 and analog joysticks.

-joystick_map 444488888..444458888.444555888.445555566.222555666.222256666.222226666.222226666
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Blanka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2009, 05:24:41 am »
I hear people talking about control.ini and mame.ini. I have never seen these files in any of the Mames for the Mac. SDLMame has an ini folder, but it is empty by default. Does anyone have or can anyone point me to some proper basic inifiles?

Bobulus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2014, 10:42:28 am
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2009, 05:34:39 am »
Mame.ini is generated by Mame. You make it by executing the command "mame.exe -cc" at the command line.

Controls.ini (Usually Controls.dat) can be read about here.

Blanka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2009, 05:52:57 am »

Is it no problem this file is last updated for mame 0.111?

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2009, 08:27:47 am »

Is it no problem this file is last updated for mame 0.111?

There's been plenty of talk about updating controls.dat but as it stands 0.111 is fine. The data is only used by auxiliary utilities and some FEs.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction