Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: VGA to CGA Breakout Cables - Do you need any?!  (Read 1730 times)

Brizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2017, 07:13:27 pm
  • I love designing custom graphics. Need some?
VGA to CGA Breakout Cables - Do you need any?!
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:07:03 pm »
I figured out a clean way to make breakout cables to connect video cards to arcade monitors.  Sure, a company makes and sells them, but they were out of stock for 3 months!!!  I finally just learned how to make them, perfected it a bit, and was curious if a group of people would be interested me making a batch for a fair price.  I'd still have to price it all out, but it would save you the headache and be a fair price. 

Let me know!

Brizzle

• Offline Offline
Re: VGA to CGA Breakout Cables - Do you need any?!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 07:07:22 pm »
Here is a photo of a SCART connection I made.  The VGA to CGA cables are now a bit cleaner looking with the glue, but I would rather have a large glob of glue that will hold than to make it look cleaner and risk not having enough glue.  I have thought about using shrink wrap to make it look nicer, but everything I add also adds cost to you.  I use this in my arcade, and it works great. 

So, I know that this cable works.  You'll get a working cable.  That said, this is my first run, so price is something I need to figure out.  I could ship via First Class in the USA for about $3 I believe.  If there is enough interest, I'll make a bundle at a time to keep prices lower.  Obviously, I'm not going to get rich lol... I'm trying to help out and make a little hobby money for my time is all. 

Every 5ft cable and wire is BRAND NEW (let me know if you need a longer cable).  Wires and glue will be wrapped for a clean appearance and further protection.
All prices include First Class shipping in the continental USA.  Contact me directly for other areas:

PRICES WILL BE POSTED WHEN I'VE MADE THE CABLES. 

Be sure to let me know what ends you want on the wires, such as:
Bare, not stripped
Bare, stripped
Butt connector (a straight tube that is crimped on both ends, allowing wires to touch in the middle)
Quick disconnects (female end attached to the VGA cable, male end provided for each monitor wire.  You will need to crimp with pliers or a crimper)
Wells Gardner direct monitor connection (special order, price depends on quantity of cables).  Alternately, it is easy to just cut and strip the wires to connect to bare wires or crimp connectors.

REMEMBER, if you are using this cable to connect your monitor to your PC for the first time, be sure to adjust your sync!  My monitor was synced just fine, but after connecting the cable, the screen looked like the refresh rate was bad.  Nope.  I just turned one of my sync monitor pots, and it looks awesome now. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:39:21 pm by Brizzle »

DudeRegular

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 10:50:27 pm
  • I have no idea what I am doing
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 07:47:12 pm »
Not sure if I will need one for a bit but pics would be cool.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:49:06 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 12:58:21 pm »
VGA on 1 end, and 5 pin video connector on the other?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:53:12 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 02:39:20 pm »
I would, depending on  price.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Brizzle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 01:30:08 pm »
VGA on one end, 5 wires for CGA on the other, though there are options for connections.  I could send bare wire ends or could even crimp one end of a butt connector to connect to bare monitor wires and crimp down with pliers and a strong grip.  I could crimp a quick disconnect connector on one end and send the other connectors along.  I tend to like a more permanent connection with the wires touching, though, like the butt connectors.  I could order Wells Gardner connectors, but they are somewhat expensive... Especially when it is so easy to just cut the existing wire, but if your wires are getting short on your monitor, I know where to find them.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:14:03 pm by Brizzle »

Brizzle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 01:24:39 pm »
UPDATE:  I'm going to go ahead and make 10 cables and post pictures of the cleaner-looking cable.  I'll revisit pricing after they are made and see what I can do, how long it took me, etc.  In the meantime, definitely post or message me if you may want a cable, in case more than 10 would be spoken for. 

Thanks!  I hope this helps

Brizzle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 09:33:13 am »
UPDATE:  The protective cable wrap is delayed in shipping, though it should arrive today.  Plus, I've had a sick kiddo (6 months old).  I'll get something posted VERY soon :)  Again, PM me or comment here if you're interested, though I know I need better photos and information.. .it's coming!