Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Centipede Bartop: Slow and Steady (5/3/14)  (Read 44018 times)

Ryglore

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Centipede Bartop: Moving (1-5)
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2010, 08:22:37 pm »
No progress has been made, but that is mostly because I am in the midst of packing up my apartment and moving. Hopefully I can continue working on this once I'm settled in at the new place, but there will be a bunch of fixing up to do in the house. The good news is, all of my newly aquired woodworking and tool skills will be able to be used!

So really this is more or less a notice that I'm still pretty much on pause with the project. But, I will be moving forward with it, just as soon as moving and house expenses are taken care of. Luckliy, it's mostly just the upstairs bedrooms that need to be worked on, as the living room and kitchen area were redone before the house was sold.

And, I have a full basement to turn into a workshop, complete with preinstalled lighting and shelving! So I don't think getting time to tinker in the basement will be much of a problem.  ::)

retrofuture

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 24, 2022, 12:41:44 pm
    • RetroFuture
Re: Centipede Bartop: Real Life Mock Up (12-17)
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2010, 04:10:09 pm »
Man, this looks great! :applaud: I love they way that the whole thing hangs together.

Any more news after your move?
The future isn't what it used to be.

Xevious BartopRetroFuture

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2010, 08:36:28 pm »
Man, this looks great! :applaud: I love they way that the whole thing hangs together.

Any more news after your move?

I was just thinking about posting an update on the status of this when I noticed email alert for your reply.

So here goes.

Currently, the Centipede is sitting in pieces on my new work bench. covered in pieces parts of home improvement and snowboard waxing tools. Unfortunately for the project, I've been busy w/ house work and fixing up the house. Most of my spare money has gone toward fixing things up, such as painting my room, buying a garbage disposal, flooring, etc... it may be a little while longer before I can give my attention to the Centipede fully. Also, From playing the Shmup and reworking the connection for the CP, I'm tempted to build a swappable CP for it too.

Over the months I've kinda/sorta planned things out. I'm still going to use my radio shack push buttons for P1 and P2 starts, I'm only putting 1 button on the CP and the 2.5" trackball to keep it authentic looking. I have the PC parts mostly decided on as well as how to wire everything.

I hit 2 snags though. I can't seem to wrap my head around the PSone screen. I'm not sure about wiring it now, even though I have plenty of soldering experience. Plus having to worry about having a graphics card that can read the signal it puts out after it's wired for VGA input is a headache. Not to mention, I can use a S-Video feed, but I can't find a S-Video cable for it anywhere. So any help on that would be awesome.

The second snag, comes from the idea of credits. Originally I wanted to run tokens in it, just like Shmup. But the size makes it difficult, and I was thinking of doing a sort of coin shoot idea into a full size Happ coin mech. But I need to play with that a little more.While the other idea was to just install either another mini push button on the top for credits, or one of GGG's coin drop return leds. I may bite the bullet and just do the credit button...

Anyway,  I hope I can figure it all out and get started on the Centipede again soon. That is, after my home improvement projects are completed...

retrofuture

• Offline Offline
    • RetroFuture
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2010, 04:21:46 pm »
I know, only too well, how 'real life' can get in the way  ;)

I think that the coin mech etc shouldn't interfere with the concept of making a 'realistic' bartop. My idea was to create a gaming machine that was for use outside of a coinop enviroment. Something that can be enjoyed without the need to pump coins in. I think that yours looks great without the need for credit button, that would really mess the design up  :)

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2010, 05:10:57 pm »
Ya I like the idea of not using coins, especially since it will be tight for space inside anyway. Actually, you asking about the project kinda has me a little back on the ball. So after I finish tiling the kitchen floor, I'll go in the basement and organize everything so I can continue progress... though as a snails pace, if need be.  :laugh:

retrofuture

• Offline Offline
    • RetroFuture
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2010, 05:32:10 pm »
Ya I like the idea of not using coins, especially since it will be tight for space inside anyway. Actually, you asking about the project kinda has me a little back on the ball. So after I finish tiling the kitchen floor, I'll go in the basement and organize everything so I can continue progress... though as a snails pace, if need be.  :laugh:

That's the kind of kick up the **** I needed!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2010, 02:19:53 pm »
Weather is gettin' nicer here my man! Good time for project work.
Got any updates?  This and the Xevious bartop is really inspiring me to make one myself!

retrofuture

• Offline Offline
    • RetroFuture
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2010, 02:40:36 pm »
Got any updates?  This and the Xevious bartop is really inspiring me to make one myself!

The weather's rather poor here dear chap  :'( but I'm hoping to get some more done soon.

I do rather like this cab, I think that a Millipede may be built at some point (just because I have a black trackball lying around). It will obviously take as long as the Xevious cab!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2010, 11:29:16 pm »

The weather here hasn't been so hot either. But maybe this week will be better. I really can't wait to test out my new router table! That will make the T-molding slots much easier, considering that the sides are so small.

I'm glad to hear that even due to a lack of progress, this has inspired you to try your hand at a bartop! :cheers:

The weather's rather poor here dear chap  :'( but I'm hoping to get some more done soon.

I do rather like this cab, I think that a Millipede may be built at some point (just because I have a black trackball lying around). It will obviously take as long as the Xevious cab!

I thought about a Millipede, but really if this works out, I may have to build a Mini-Robotron 2084... =)

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2010, 01:40:18 am »
I thought about a Millipede, but really if this works out, I may have to build a Mini-Robotron 2084... =)
Wait, a bartop Robotron? or a cabaret?

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2010, 08:26:44 am »
Wait, a bartop Robotron? or a cabaret?

Bartop. =)

retrofuture

• Offline Offline
    • RetroFuture
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2010, 12:33:02 pm »
A bartop Robotron. Nice   :)

I really fancy building a Star Wars bartop...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:44:41 pm by retrofuture »

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2010, 12:36:14 pm »
A bartop Robotron. Nice  :badmood:

I really fancy building a Star Wars bartop...

One thing at a time though... I need to actually complete this one first! :)

retrofuture

• Offline Offline
    • RetroFuture
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44:50 pm »
Yeah, one thing at a time... it's taken me a year to nearly complete the first two  ;D Still, it's best to keep dreaming!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2010, 02:35:43 pm »
Bartop. =)

That's awesome!  I love me some Robotron action!
Though, I'd be worried about flinging that thing around while playing. Robotron tends to make you jerk the cabinet around...

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2010, 02:43:51 pm »
Bartop. =)

That's awesome!  I love me some Robotron action!
Though, I'd be worried about flinging that thing around while playing. Robotron tends to make you jerk the cabinet around...

Yeah, I thought about that w/ Centipede too. But I guess that If I was going to do robotron, I would possible go with a full size bartop rather than a mini-bartop...

retrofuture

• Offline Offline
    • RetroFuture
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2010, 03:10:23 pm »
If it weighs anywhere near what my bartops do, then I think that you'll have no difficulty. I can hardly lift the damn things with the monitors in. How much does your current monitor weigh?

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2010, 03:22:47 pm »
Keep in mind, the Centipede is a mini-bartop and the monitor is going to be (maybe) a PSOne screen, which is maybe 2 lbs if that.. prolly less. But as far as materials go, I'd have to weigh it all, and once I get the Laminate on there it will be a little heavier. It shouldn't be a problem as far as getting flung around, and I plan on putting rubber feet on the bottom to keep it from sliding too.  :lol

retrofuture

• Offline Offline
    • RetroFuture
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2010, 03:28:25 pm »
The rubber feet keep mine pretty steady. Get some big ones they work really well.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Centipede Bartop: Mini-Update (9-17-10)
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2010, 05:55:31 pm »
Hey all. The bartop project has been on hold for awhile, as you prolly all noticed... since I am strapped for extra cash. But I would like to point out a sweet little 8" 4:3 LCD monitor that Opt2Not mentioned to me. Check this baby out!

With the revelation of this monitor, I may have found the solution to my display problem. Which means, once I can afford the parts, I can continue the project! I'm actually planning on going into the basement tonight and doing some note taking and organizing. Maybe I can make up a little shopping list of parts. And then it's just a matter of saving up the money to start...  :-\

Here is a quick question. Does anyone know where to find the coned 1 and 2 player buttons that are on the original Centipede CP?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2010, 06:17:42 pm »
Yay!!  :applaud: Good stuff dude, glad to hear i helped spark your motivation to get this baby done!
I'm going to order one of these lcd's soon... I'll give you a review of it if I receive it before you purchase.

As for the atari buttons, I know that Arcade shop has the cones alone (tall and short - and in black)...didn't see any buttons there though.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2010, 12:04:20 am »
That would be the place I found them before! haha Not sure if I should go w/ them or not though. I could just use 2 small buttons in place of them...

wxforecaster

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 01:19:24 pm
Re: Centipede Bartop: Mini-Update (9-17-10)
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2010, 02:16:53 am »

Here is a quick question. Does anyone know where to find the coned 1 and 2 player buttons that are on the original Centipede CP?

A day late and $15 short...
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=1331854

Seriously though, you can get used/working ones here:
http://www.quarterarcade.com/Game.aspx/8112 with the cone bezels found at the arcade shop in the previous reply.

HTH,
Evan

zorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2022, 09:00:38 am
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2010, 03:58:52 am »
for the cone buttons + switch check ram controls: http://www.ram-controls.com/order-cones.html
I'm on the planning stage

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2010, 09:11:58 am »
Awesome! Thanks guys. These would really make the CP pop.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Centipede Bartop: Slowly Returning from Hiatus (9-20-10)
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2010, 09:45:01 am »
Over the weekend, I began writing up parts and pricing of everything I'd need. In keeping with the theme of taking forever, I've decided to paint again, rather than laminate. Going with a nice smooth coat and really getting it to shine with a gloss coat.

Maybe, if I can swing some cash for paint, I'll start doing that while I wait for money for parts. ha. Not sure.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2010, 03:25:44 pm »
Little bit of work was done this weekend.

Turns out, I still have some black paint and white left over from SHMUP, and it was just sitting at the parent's garage. So while I was at Home Depot picking up dryer vent parts, I snagged some 60, 100 and 150 grit sand paper. After I was done moving our dryer, I went to work sanding down the wood glue I had mistakenly put on the side of the cab.

If all turns out well. I should be able to paint the parts w/ the black and white and start the process of wet sanding everything to a mirror shine. haha, that'll give me a little project to work on until I can afford the parts.  :lol

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2010, 08:58:50 pm »
Slowly working on the cab. I now have a router table and I'll be able to work on the smaller pieces with it. Though I apparently don't own a large enough wrench to tighten the slot cutter into place. So I wasn't able to cut it and get started on painting.

I did sand the glue off of the good side of the cab.  I've gotten the metal for my control panel, we happened to have some scrap at work... yoink.

Shopping lists continue to be written and refined. I'll need to get the buttons and trackball soon-ish. So I can plot out my CP layout, etc.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Centipede Bartop: Pieces Parts (10-2-10)
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2010, 01:28:06 pm »
I broke down and ordered 2 of the cones and buttons from RAM Controls last night. I decided to go with short cones and non-led buttons. Also I ordered a leaf switch button and assembly from Lizard Lick for the fire button. Having these on hand along with the 2 1/4" trackball diagram, will help me design the modified control panel artwork and layout. For sure.

Also, I'm going to head out and pick up a set of wrenches so I can tighten down the arbor for the slot cutter and get that stuff taken care of. After that's done, I'll be able to stir up the pain and get to work on painting the interior sections black.

Today is the start of a good project weekend, me thinks.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Centipede Bartop: Pieces Parts (10-5-10)
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2010, 10:57:05 am »
Not much work was done this weekend. I did cut the slots for the t-molding. But no painting happened.

My leaf-switch button came from Lizard Lick and the cone buttons are hopefully on the way from RAM as well. Also I ordered the 1/2" t-molding and 2 1/4" trackball from Twisted Quarter. This means all the parts for the control panel are on their way. This will give me all the pieces I need to continue putting together the body of the cabinet.

I'll post pictures once I have all the parts in hand. I've decided to hold off painting anything until after I get the metal for the CP worked out. No point in rushing anything and having to redo my paint job. Plus I might have a slick idea on how I want to mount the metal to the cab, without having surface bolts.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Centipede Bartop: Control Panel Artwork... Finished? (10-6-10)
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2010, 11:19:43 pm »
Today I found myself hooked on working out the design for the control panel. here is what I came up with, since the CP will be much smaller and the mushroom design on the original sized CP wouldn't work properly. I did a mash up of the cocktail cab and upright styles.

Keep in mind this is all in photoshop, I still will need to drop it into illustrator to clean it up and vectorize it.

Here is my design:

And here are comparisions of reproduction work from GameOnGrafix:

Oh... and here it is in my mock up:

What do you think?

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2010, 12:08:49 am »
Looks awesome to me.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2010, 05:58:01 pm »
Thank. I think I am happy with it. The added color of the "rainbow" stripe from the upright cab makes the cab pop, imho.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Centipede Bartop: Pieces Parts... Arrived!! (10-8-10)
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2010, 08:23:03 pm »
Today was like Christmas on my doorstep! My order from RAM and Twisted Quarter both arrived and I now have the Atari Cones, the 2 1/4" Trackball and the 1/2" T-molding in my workshop. Which means I can begin work on the control panel layout and slowly start assembly and paint. I had previously cut the T-molding slot but it wasn't until after I had cut both sides that I noticed my router was slightly tilted... So there are some parts of the line that are centered and others that are a bit off. So I've decided I will have to paint the edge of the side panels black to hide any slight deviations... sigh... luckily, it's not really that bad at all.

T-Molding Slotted

Leaf Switch Button

Atari Cones w/ a Penny for Reference

I'm really glad I picked up the leaf switch button. It really brings me back, especially since I was able to hit up the arcade at Cedar Point during the Summer that had 2 working Centipedes, Galaga, Galaxian and more. The feel and the silent function of it will make it so much closer to the "real thing". Also, the short cones were a good idea, they are already a tad bigger than I remember from earlier this Summer. They are 1" wide and about 1/2" tall. But they'll work much better than the Tall ones, which I'm sure are about 1" tall.

2 1/4" Trackball

I opened up the trackball and totally had deja vu. Felt like I was working on the SHMUP again. This one isn't USB though, it's a normal plain-jane trackball unit, since I've decided to use a 60 in 1 board and the Jamma Harness. Also, since I am going w/ a metal control panel, I'm going to bolt right through it, like the original was, rather than the flush mount kit. That in mind, I also snagged some black carriage bolts for mounting it. The only thing I am missing is an off white ball. Oh well.

Speaking of metal control panels. I also found a piece of scrap metal laying around work, which looks to be the proper thickness. I'm going to play with both the steel sheet and the aluminum sheet to see which works better. Not sure, I still might go with the aluminum sheet, just because of ease of working with it.

Time to take some measurements and play with button placements! Woo!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2010, 04:05:21 pm »
Ha the project is on hold until after Halloween. all my creative energy is going toward crafting a sweet Umbrella Corporation Scientist costume for a halloween party.  :laugh:

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2010, 10:52:38 pm »
this is so awesome...i love centipede
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2010, 09:36:32 am »
Thanks severdhed. Same here, I really want to do it justice. Which is one of the reasons I am taking things slowly. I don't want to cut corners in any way, thus the hunt for cones and the leaf button.  :laugh:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2011, 03:56:00 pm »
Spring is around the corner and I'm movie forward. Looking to paint this week. Watch this space.  :afro:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Centipede Bartop: What's this? a real update? pssh (7-10-11)
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2011, 08:20:27 pm »
Hey.... looks like I actually got off my butt and started working on things again! I've been shuffling the body parts of the Centipede around the basement, I decided to get things built and painted and the controls mounted, so I don't end up losing something. Though I can't afford the guts for it yet.

The plan is to build the cab and get it all set to go, so when I can get the screen, guts and graphics I just have to install them, and we'll be ready to rock and roll. So here we go... build pictures! I'm doing 100% glue on this one, no screws, and it seems like a lot less of a pain in the ass. Yay little-to-no Wood filler garbage!

The gluing begins! Gluing the base onto the sides, the top and back panel are dry fitted to help keep things square.

Gluing the Top panel in place, rear view

Top panel installation, front view

Mounting the front panel.

I going to spring for a speaker of some kind and working on the speaker panel, soonish. As for other things I'm working on for it are a complete vectorization of the Side Artwork and I restarted the Illustrator file for the Control Panel art, getting all my spacing measurements correct and making sure I am using the same colors on everything. I'm also working on how I want to mount the metal panel into place for the control panel.

Anyway, there is a little progress happening.  :applaud:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Centipede Bartop: What's this? a real update? pssh (7-10-11)
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2011, 11:36:39 pm »
Annndd... I just realized I glued the base into place in the wrong location.  :banghead: It was supposed to go to the back and would give me an open space access to the controls to mount them and service the control panel properly, thus not needing to remove the metal panel. I when I was putting it together I thought it seemed odd that the back panel kinda just floated along the bottom edge, but I thought nothing of it... :cry: ... Well, if I need to, I'll just jig saw the gap I was originally going to have there and cut a piece of mdf to fill the gap in the back.

You can see the proper gap in this picture, ha

This kids, is the problem with picking a project back up after a year lag, and not consulting your notes before picking it back up. (Also it makes me 2 for 2 on screwing up bases on projects, haha at least I'm consistant.)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:57:14 pm by Ryglore »