Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SlikStik Arcade Machines Released!  (Read 17144 times)

SlikStik-Christian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2004, 10:28:08 pm
  • Gaming will never be the same...
    • SlikStik Arcade Controllers
SlikStik Arcade Machines Released!
« on: July 18, 2003, 11:21:09 am »
All,

We just wanted to let everyone know that we have released our new arcade machines. More can be read on our website by clicking this link http://www.slikstik.com/sscab.htm

Comments and feedback are welcome, thanks for looking.
Thank You

Christian
SlikStik Customer Support
http://www.slikstik.com
The Worlds Best Arcade Controllers

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:SlikStik Arcade Machines Released!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 02:33:37 pm »
INTERESTING INDEED! :D
This is great...looks like an actual arcade cabinet and all.  :)
Midway style.
wayyyyyyyyyyy better then that x-arcade cabinet for $1000(lol...that thing dont even look like an arcade machine).

I think(personal opinion) the price is right too(no?).
building your own isnt that easy and tools cost A LOT ! :(

HOWEVER,that arcadeshopper dude still selling brand new cabinets(cnc router cut) like this for $500 on ebay.
Consider that too.....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 10:21:47 pm by SNAAAKE »

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 03:37:28 pm »
I'm with Snaaack.  For people who have lots of experience and skill with woodworking and already own the tools they need building a cab is a weekend job.  But those people aren't really the target market for these things anyway.  For people like me who are learning as they go, not to mention are only able to work on it during the weekends building a cab is a difficult, sometimes frustrating process that takes many months.  If I were being paid my normal wage during the time I've spent on my cab I would already have been paid far more that $1100 and I'm only about half-way through.  

Not to mention that materials and tools haven't been exactly cheap.  

$1100 ain't inexpensive, but some things just aren't cheap.  A full-size, well-made arcade cabinet happens to be one of those things.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

HeadRusch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2006, 04:13:30 pm
  • ....Here you are all EQUALLY WORTHLESS...
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 04:11:43 pm »
Its sharp alright, but its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay pricy.  I know there are costs to these things, but when it all comes down to it thats a really expensive box you've got there, especially when you consider $900 bucks is just for the shell.  You still dont have a Monitor, PC, components OR a control panel.

When the SlickStik machine was announced earlier, I was under the impression you were going to do a more cost-effective solution than the other $1000+ examples already available, I guess I was wrong.

I think when you see these boxes hit in the $400 range (remember, this stuff has to be shipped too...a couple hundred pounds of board we're talking about) you'll see them really take off, but at $1000 for an empty cab, I just dont see the market.

Unless SlickStik is aiming for that "high end" market......

".....its like a Koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

KevSteele

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 08:42:43 am
  • Retrogaming Media Mogul in Rehab
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 06:22:02 pm »
I'm with Snaake and shmokes -- the new cab looks good, and the price is fair -- I won't say the price is fantastic (free would be fantastic ;)) but for what you're getting it seems very reasonable. It's certainly a much better value for the money than the X-arcade "cabinet" (term used loosely).

I'm sure the skilled amoung us can make a cab cheaper, but I doubt anyone could really duplicate the precision of an industrial CNC router with home tools. With the black formica surfaces, it should look fantastic.

I know it's blasphemy to some, but I love the keyboard tray. This is one of the first keyboard tray designs I've seen that really hides away well.

Sheesh, I'm sounding like an informercial dude (but wait! there's more! ;)) but I'm really excited about this cab! -- with a WG D9200 and a SlikStik controller, it looks like you'll finally have the option of a "quick-n-easy" professional-grade arcade cab.

It won't be cheap, but with adding a PC, SlikStik, and WG D9200 monitor, a finished brand-new MAME machine will probably run you about $2500, which is (correct me if I'm wrong) about the same or less than what you'd pay for a brand new arcade game (if they made them anymore!).

This cabinet is probably not for the hardcore BYOAC crowd, but I'd certainly recommend this to all of my friends who have asked me to build them an arcade cabinet after seeing mine!

You know, if it had motherboard mounting posts inside and an integrated PC power supply, it'd be perfect...  ;D

One question I do have, is how do you mount a fluorescent tube in it for a marquee light?

Kevin
Kevin Steele, Former Editor and Publisher of RetroBlast! and GameRoom Magazine

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 07:46:48 pm »
I have to wonder how this compares in price to brand new cabinets from Dynamo.

Has anyone researched this?

(The few new in box empty cabinets with monitors that I have seen sold at auction only went for $300-$400).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

IIOIOOIOO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2003, 02:18:12 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 11:27:57 pm »
For about $1400 you can get a brand spanking new Dynamo 25" WITH a WG monitor, power supply, and JAMMA harness installed. To quote a more famous member of these forums...

*shrug*

But if Kevin Steele likes a SlikStik product, how could you go wrong? Can't wait to read the review! :)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 02:28:29 am »
huh?  looks like a lucid cab to me...

well, anyway, it's a lot more than what you get for that arcade bookshelf someone was selling for the same price...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2003, 02:47:55 am by 1UP »

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2003, 02:34:08 am »
Not to knock the product. But I don't get it. If Dynamo sells new 25" cabinets (with monitor and control panel, and pretty much everything but yr game kit) at a similar price point, then what is the point of buying one that screws together like the furniture that comes in a flat box? Have you ever seen how poorly that furniture holds up? My desk came in a flat box and it is falling apart after only 5 years.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2003, 03:05:56 am »
LOL.. no "Specially designed rotating control panel"s :-X
k-spiff

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2003, 07:13:09 am »
I think its a good price myself...  I would have saved money buying one probably... would have lost out in a lot of fun.

Assuming that you are a beginner...

8 sheets of 4x8 MDF (assuming you did every part twice because of a !@# up) - 250
Happs Bezel  - 20
Shipping that happs Bezel - 40  (really)
TMolding - 10
Router bit for TMolding - 20
Cheap Router - 40
Happs Coin door - 80
Happs shipping of that door - 20 (must be.. could be more)
Keyboard drawer - 20 (assuming 10 but messing up the first one to get it to work right)
Paint - 20
Screws - 20
Glue - 10

About 530 bucks.  Super quick pricing... Assuming for some major !@# ups.

Next.  Can you build it that nice?

How much is your time worth?

It seems to be perfectly priced.  But probably not for this group here (Since we like building our own...).

But for others, its a little more then what it would probably cost them and end up with what looks like a MUCH nicer product.

I wish I could afford one.  I want to redo my standup (never got it 'finished')... but I want to spend my time on my cocktail table I'm hopefully starting soon.... soon...  Would be a great way to get it done, especially since I have the other parts.

What I like about it is the adjustable monitor stand...  I would like to see how it works.

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2003, 09:39:55 am »
For about $1400 you can get a brand spanking new Dynamo 25" WITH a WG monitor, power supply, and JAMMA harness installed. To quote a more famous member of these forums...

*shrug*

So, cost-wise they're about the same. I guess the only advantage to the SlikStik then is that it has a keyboard drawer and can be easily disassembled for transport (especially for moving it into the basement!)

But if Kevin Steele likes a SlikStik product, how could you go wrong? Can't wait to read the review! :)

Sarcasm...I'd recognize it anywhere! ;) Ever consider that they might just have good products? Do they need to send me a POS product to review to establish any "cred" with you?

Kevin

HeadRusch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2006, 04:13:30 pm
  • ....Here you are all EQUALLY WORTHLESS...
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2003, 10:19:22 am »
I guess I just dont understand why the world needs ANOTHER $1000+ empty Cabinet....I realize Slickstik is out to make a buck (no fault with that), and they are obviously marketing their stuff as high-end real arcade equipment..but.....still, I'd figure the world needed a $400 cab.  

You'd figure someone would have figured out how to make a basic cab with a CP-shelf for like $500 bucks.
Leave out the fancy angles, the keyboard drawers....the laminate covering....

You have each "side" of the cab, two flat pieces for the "top", a back, a front with coindoor cutout or a back with a hinged door, whatever...a shelf for the TV or brackets for mounting a monitor.  All you need to do is run a router around the "templates" as thats where your tmoulding will go....

I'm over-simplifying it, but not by too much.  You tell the customer to put screws here, there, and over there....put some wood glue here, there and there.....and thats it, your basic arcade cabinet.

Is there no market for this?? I'm just curious..if I couldn't find a cab, and decided to buy one...I'd opt for a simple example like this, and not a $1000+ model.....

Seems kinda odd to spend $1000 on an empty cab when any auction can net you a working game for a few hundred dollars, and that will start you off possibly with a working monitor, controls and...hmm..game?......

The point is that this would sell for a few hundred dollars, and this is the part that 99% of people who want to start a cab can't get past.

".....its like a Koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:58:49 pm
  • It's Gameday!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2003, 11:33:37 am »
It looks like a great product, but the price for the bare-bones model still seems a bit high.  I've been looking at the one over at http://www.arcadeshopper.com/mame/mamekits.htm that is SlikStik-compatible for $400.  To me that seems like a better price point.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2003, 11:39:30 am »
It looks like a great product, but the price for the bare-bones model still seems a bit high.  I've been looking at the one over at http://www.arcadeshopper.com/mame/mamekits.htm that is SlikStik-compatible for $400.  To me that seems like a better price point.
I did mention the guy.
My suggestion would be to "add" a slik stick panel with the cabinet so the cab itself would be like $600+$400 for the panel(rough estimate) and THEN $1000 for a nice looking cabinet with a panel be reasonable.but again they gotta make money too so . . . :-\

(I am being silly,$900 without a panel is still a deal)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 07:27:37 pm by SNAAAKE »

Tommy Boy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2010, 04:13:56 am
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2003, 05:53:02 pm »
This is a religious argument.  Either you're in the market for the kind of product that SlikStik is selling or your not and arguments about "how much is too much" don't apply if you really aren't interested in buying a pre-fab cab anyway.

I'm probably in SlikStik's target market for this product.  And for me it comes down to whether the product lives up to the hype.  If the build quality is as good as they suggest and it's easy to assemble, easy to transport, and it looks good, I'd shell out $1100 for it.

Hell, if it's a good product, professionally designed and manufactured, then you have to pay for the "overhead" of the CNC machines, design effort, etc.  And keep in mind that this will never be a truly high volume product, so they can't make it up in volume.  They need to get a fair price for each unit they sell.

But frankly, I'll wait to order mine until the more adventuresome of you post your reviews of the product.  ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2003, 02:56:34 am »
This is a religious argument.  Either you're in the market for the kind of product that SlikStik is selling or your not and arguments about "how much is too much" don't apply if you really aren't interested in buying a pre-fab cab anyway.

I'm probably in SlikStik's target market for this product.  And for me it comes down to whether the product lives up to the hype.  If the build quality is as good as they suggest and it's easy to assemble, easy to transport, and it looks good, I'd shell out $1100 for it.

Hell, if it's a good product, professionally designed and manufactured, then you have to pay for the "overhead" of the CNC machines, design effort, etc.  And keep in mind that this will never be a truly high volume product, so they can't make it up in volume.  They need to get a fair price for each unit they sell.

But frankly, I'll wait to order mine until the more adventuresome of you post your reviews of the product.  ;)

I normally don't get into these arguments but the points you bring up beg to be corrected.

Overhead i'll give you, but the raw materials for that design couldn't cost over about 300 bucks.    If you notice, many of the things that lilwolf mentioned are absent on this cab....  all it has are 5 dollar roller rails and t-molding.  Of course depending upon the coin door that it comes with, and the deal they are getting, that could jack up the price.  The construction of this kit is most likely completely automated, so there is very little effort.  The design is luscid's.  I know they modified it a tad, but it truely is.  

I'm not saying it's a bad product mind you, but if you are going to market it to the "do it yourself'ers" then it's overpriced. You don't even throw in marquee retainers or speaker grills. If I were to buy your kit and assumingly buy a slikstik from you it would take approx 600-800 dollars more to finish it, and that's assuming I put a really cheap pc in it and got a deal on the arcade monitor. For 1800 bucks you can get a quite nice dynamo cab that would only need an jpac, arcadevga and pc.  You can even get a not so nice, complete dynamo for around 400 bucks.  But getting away from that.  

Those that don't want to do anything themselves aren't going to like it either as they can buy a hotrod system which requires no effort on their part for a similar price.  Now keep in mind, I hate hotrod products, so I'm kind of impartial on this. I happen to like your design better, but if I were to choose, I would at least get a cab with a monitor.  Afterall, that's the hardest part for newbies to aquire (or at least aquire the proper one and get it hooked up and mounted).  

Anyway, enough bashing. When you have a hard time selling these and lower your price to something more reasonable let us know.  :)

F|end

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2007, 07:27:59 pm
  • I'm 250 euros away from a working cabinet...
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2003, 04:52:38 am »
I think with that budget i could build something more! Sorry but i think that is overpriced...   :(

There's more, a used cab for that price it's a better choice!

At least it's better than the X-arcade products and it seems solid and well built! Can't wait to see the rewiew!  ;D
Pedro Vieira

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2003, 10:23:47 am »
As much as I'm for new products in the arcade field, I just not a big fan of these (and all assemble-yourself/premade cabs).  Granted, it's taken to a better level than the XBS, but as others say it is just a lucid-like design that doesn't really stand out from the crowd.   Except for the matte paint job it looks almost identical to the first one I built, which looks like 80% of the cabs out there...If I were to make a production-line cab I'd choose a very obviously original design - something no one has done before.  

The price seems high for a cabinet, but you're free to charge whatever you want.  I wouldn't buy one even if it was 300$.  I realize some people lack time/woodworking skills to build their own, so I...suppose...there might be a small market....but probably not around here.  

SlikStik-Christian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2003, 10:28:52 am »

I normally don't get into these arguments but the points you bring up beg to be corrected.

Overhead i'll give you, but the raw materials for that design couldn't cost over about 300 bucks.    If you notice, many of the things that lilwolf mentioned are absent on this cab....  all it has are 5 dollar roller rails and t-molding.  Of course depending upon the coin door that it comes with, and the deal they are getting, that could jack up the price.  The construction of this kit is most likely completely automated, so there is very little effort.  The design is luscid's.  I know they modified it a tad, but it truely is.  

I'm not saying it's a bad product mind you, but if you are going to market it to the "do it yourself'ers" then it's overpriced. You don't even throw in marquee retainers or speaker grills. If I were to buy your kit and assumingly buy a slikstik from you it would take approx 600-800 dollars more to finish it, and that's assuming I put a really cheap pc in it and got a deal on the arcade monitor. For 1800 bucks you can get a quite nice dynamo cab that would only need an jpac, arcadevga and pc.  You can even get a not so nice, complete dynamo for around 400 bucks.  But getting away from that.  

Those that don't want to do anything themselves aren't going to like it either as they can buy a hotrod system which requires no effort on their part for a similar price.  Now keep in mind, I hate hotrod products, so I'm kind of impartial on this. I happen to like your design better, but if I were to choose, I would at least get a cab with a monitor.  Afterall, that's the hardest part for newbies to aquire (or at least aquire the proper one and get it hooked up and mounted).  

Anyway, enough bashing. When you have a hard time selling these and lower your price to something more reasonable let us know.  :)
Howard,

Its unfortunate that you feel that way about our new arcade machines, but your comment is valued just as much as anyone elses. A few things that I wanted to correct you on, (Speaking of the complete version) yes it does come with marquee retainers, and speaker grills. As for the draw slides they are not the cheap $5.00 ones, they are quadruple that cost.

In addition, if we were to include a Wells Gardner D9200 monitor the cost would still be way under the $1800 Dynamo that you mentioned above.

Is there a profit, yes. Is it huge, no.

Lastly, I can assure you that the cab is not Lucids design; it is fully designed after the midway mortal combat II machine which we purchased as a starting point and modified it to our liking. We think the mortal combat II machine design is very generic but is a great classic machine.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 11:09:40 am by SlikStik-Christian »
Thank You

Christian

Amra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2023, 05:22:46 am
  • Save a tree, Eat a beaver!
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2003, 04:58:08 pm »
Lets see....

Wood MDF 4' x 8'~ $20 x 3 = $60
Laminate 4' x 8' ~ $50 x 3 = $150
Screws, Glue, Hinges ~ $30 x 1 = $30
Rollar Drawer Slide ~ $20 x 1 = $20
T-Molding 20' ~ $15 x 3 = $45
Bracket for Monitor ~ $30 x 1 = $30
-------------------------------------------------
Total Cost of Materials ~ $335

Ok, now... take in a discount for buying in bulk, and you prolly save about $30-$50 per cab, I would say the materials are about $300 to build the Lite Cabinet.

Now, you need to take in quality assurance, packaging, but if these are done by the owners, then the remaining $600 Dollars per cabinet (of the lite model) is all profit.  

This is a 300% Markup... Which is realistic if you use the high price, low volume market strategy, though 200% is more common, but most companies have something Slik Stik doesnt have much of... Competition.  With XArcades design being very unaesthetic, the market for a Arcade Case is very shallow.  Arcade PC sells the whole cabinet, and GRock uses Ultimate Arcade II Design, which doesnt appeal to a lot of people because it doesnt look like an arcade machine you would find at an arcade.  Slick Sticks however is a basic Midway design, which just happens to be the same as LuSiD's, as LuSiD designed his after a midway Cabinet...

Yes, the cabinets are Overpriced, but they are overpriced because there is no reason for them to lower their price, its not like people are going to find a different supplier, because there isnt one.  The only way to get them to lower their prices is the classic consumer action.... Dont buy it.  They will get tired of not selling any, and eventually they will accept a lower profit, its that simple.
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver!

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2003, 05:05:23 pm »

Ok, now... take in a discount for buying in bulk, and you prolly save about $30-$50 per cab, I would say the materials are about $300 to build the Lite Cabinet.

Now, you need to take in quality assurance, packaging, but if these are done by the owners, then the remaining $600 Dollars per cabinet (of the lite model) is all profit.  

Did you forget the actual manufacturing and labor costs? CNC machines aren't free, I believe.

(No, I don't have any idea of how much it actually costs to make one, but your example seems a bit oversimplified.)

Like you said, time will tell -- supply and demand, the cornerstones of capitalism...

Kevin

gndprx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2014, 11:25:49 am
  • nope...
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2003, 05:10:52 pm »
Hey all.

Just wanted to throw something into the mix here.  Running a CNC router is not exactly without it's costs as well.  Aside from what the raw materials may cost, you still have to recoup both the time it takes to program the machine as well as upkeep on a large piece of machinery.

Not saying that that's worth $600, but I'd also personally estimate that initial supplies figure to be more in the $400+ range than $300.  Wood may not be cheap in everyone's area of the country and all the supplies, tools and skills may not be readily available to everyone.

Why do you think that companies such as Bush and Sauder are so large?  There is a huge market for pre-made knock-down furniture...and the higher quality built stuff is not cheap (think real office furniture at well over $1k for a decent pre-fab desk)

Yes it's not for those of us who BYOC and like to do it, but I could easily see someone purchasing one of these for their game room who may be into computers and can do the rest on their own.

Just a thought...carry on  :D

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2003, 05:43:14 pm »
Lets see....

take out cost of laminate ;).
I think they use black (EDIT)melamine(EDIT) board.
I mean you know...companies use black (EDIT)melamine(EDIT) boards for mass produced cabinets(like hanaho).
unless I am wrong(could be)

I STILL think the price is "reasonable".
Imagine having your own cabinet without having to buy any tools,parts,cutting,building,this,that.  :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 07:22:41 pm by SNAAAKE »

SlikStik-Christian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2003, 05:51:25 pm »
Lets see....

take out cost of laminate ;).
I think they use black formica board.
I mean you know...companies use black formica boards for mass produced cabinets(like hanaho).
unless I am wrong(could be)

I STILL think the price is reasonable.
Imagine having your own cabinet without having to buy any tools,parts,cutting,building,this,that.  :)

FYI, its black Formica on the outside and black melamine on the inside.
Thank You

Christian

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2003, 05:51:30 pm »
I would also like to say a little about this discussion....

I would also agree that the equation is a little bit over simplified... the guys who are doing this will need to get pay... they need a place for all the stuffs... rent.. electric... machine... maintainence... etc.

so.. its not just materials....

----------

Now.... do they have profits ??... of course... its a business... if you don't get pay... you won't go to work.. right ??....

is it reasonable ??.... that depends....
I don't think most of the guys here will find it a reasonable price.... (hmmm... let me put it in a different word...) I think most of the guys here will not buy it..... (even if they say its reasonable priced...)

but that doesn't mean anything whether we buy or not..... (since we hack and mod...... we don't buy...    ;) ;D )

I think what is important here is... are they trying to cheat ?? are they having false advertisement ??.... are they claiming they have something in the cab that they sell and you pay and you get it and found out that its not there ??  

I can't find any.... so.... the product is  fine for my standard...... frankly... they can sell it for $10,000 a pop and just sell 1 per year..... or they sell $500 a pop and sell 500 a year..... (that will be their choice of business model and none of our concern.....)

if I were to choose.... of course... from a customer's point of view... I would prefer them to sell $200 a pop and sell 100,000 cabs per year.... cos I can't afford the $1,000 tag.... that means I have more options to choose from.... but let's be fair... as a customer... I cannot run their business and decide for them.....

if you think you can do better... you are more than welcome to open a store and sell it online for 1/2 that price..... place your ad next to all the slikstick's ad to "compete" with them...  ;)

I'm sure the rest of us are more than willing to give comments on your discounted products !!.... hee hee....

------------------------------------

now.... on a side note....

about slikstick's metal stick replacement.....
its VERY MUCH COOL AND NICE and all that....
but if they claim you can score 50% higher on the same game just by changing the stick.....

well...... I will have to think about.....
if they can't proof it.... I would suggest they should
"re-phase" it......

-----------------

my $0.0002 cents of personal opinion.... peace...

Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

SlikStik-Christian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2003, 05:53:25 pm »
Lets see....

Wood MDF 4' x 8'~ $20 x 3 = $60
Screws, Glue, Hinges ~ $30 x 1 = $30
Rollar Drawer Slide ~ $20 x 1 = $20
T-Molding 20' ~ $15 x 3 = $45
Bracket for Monitor ~ $30 x 1 = $30
-------------------------------------------------

This is a 300% Markup... Which is realistic if you use the high price, low volume market strategy, though 200% is more common, but most companies have something Slik Stik doesnt have much of... Competition.  With XArcades design being very unaesthetic, the market for a Arcade Case is very shallow.  Arcade PC sells the whole cabinet, and GRock uses Ultimate Arcade II Design, which doesnt appeal to a lot of people because it doesnt look like an arcade machine you would find at an arcade.  Slick Sticks however is a basic Midway design, which just happens to be the same as LuSiD's, as LuSiD designed his after a midway Cabinet...

Yes, the cabinets are Overpriced, but they are overpriced because there is no reason for them to lower their price, its not like people are going to find a different supplier, because there isnt one.  The only way to get them to lower their prices is the classic consumer action.... Dont buy it.  They will get tired of not selling any, and eventually they will accept a lower profit, its that simple.

Here we go again... I'll tell you what, you make the same exact cabinets we make for $335.00 and I will by them from you all day long.
Thank You

Christian

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2003, 06:21:44 pm »
hehe, I LOVE these arguments  ;D

I don't know how much it costs you to build these... But knowing what you sell for the slicksticks... I would guess that it's top quality all around... but that wasn't my point.

My point is that almost everyone here would probably come somewhat close to that...  Maybe save themselfs a few hundred doing it themselfs.  But in the end, not have it as nice as something cnc milled.

IE, it seemed like it was right priced.  Something that can build could probably do themselfs for cheaper... but for the people who cant... proably wont.

I love building mine.  I would have liked it to be yours in the end thought....  It looks great!

But building all that for $300 bucks... come on... Sure, if you can steel all the lumber from your parents and you already have all the tools... And you happen to have some parts laying around...

We all know how expensive this hobbie actually is... Sure, I'm going to hack up this $50 cab I got.  How cheap!....  But wait... ebay?  You can get parts on ebay?  Wow... new TMolding!  I would love to convert this to a cocktail table... Wait... Why tear that down when I could just build a new one!  Wouldn't it be great if I had a real starwars yoke!  I need a new design to fit the SNK controollers... I reallly wish I didn't paint it black... I should find some side art... wait, I can just professionally create my own sideart?  How about light gun support... Act labs are ok I guess..  How about ...

you get my idea..

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2003, 06:22:45 pm »
Lastly, I can assure you that the cab is not Lucids design; it is fully designed after the midway mortal combat II machine which we purchased as a starting point and modified it to our liking. We think the mortal combat II machine design is very generic but is a great classic machine.

Lol!
"We didn't steal the design from Lucid, we stole it from Midway!"

Ha!
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

Tommy Boy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2010, 04:13:56 am
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2003, 07:41:36 pm »
Lol!

Ha!

As I said before, this is a religious debate.  The true 'build your own' crowd will find nothing but fault with this or any prefabbed alternative.  Now you guys are even bashing because they copied a "classic" design.  If they hadn't copied a classic design, you'd be carping because the thing isn't "authentic" looking.

I'm not saying this cab is worth the $1100 beans, mostly because I haven't personally seen or touched one yet, nor have I read anything approaching a real review from a non-partisan person who has.

But I can tell you this much, if you think that you can CNC mill the cabs that SlikStik has spec'd for $350 a pop, and market them, you oughta go for it.  Because I believe you'll sell a BIG volume of 'em.  I also believe you'll lose money on every unit you sell.  Frankly, if this is truly a 300% markup proposition, don't you think someone else would have beat Christian to the gravy?  Or else we should be seeing a number of strong competitors enter the marketplace very soon.  Afterall he doesn't have exclusive rights to the Midway design or to CNC milling equipment.

I'd love to see someone sell these (as spec'd -- or better) for $400 bucks a pop.  I'd buy 3 right now (no kidding).  But who'll step up and put their money where their mouth is?  :)  I will.  I'll buy three of these from anyone who can deliver them to Christian's spec for $400 bucks or less each.  No slouching.  They must be 100% to spec, or better if you think you can improve on his design.

Any takers?  ;D 8)

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2003, 07:45:12 pm »
I can do it... minimum order is 10,000 units though.

Rampy

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2003, 07:45:28 pm »

Lol!

Ha!

Like Kelsey "stole" the design of his new Tempest spinner from Atari? What's your point?

Sheesh...

Kevin

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2003, 07:51:52 pm »
I'm not going to go choosing sides on this subject but I will say this:

If you don't mind using a genuine used machine you can get one for significantly cheaper. A shell of a 25" machine with coin door could probably be had for $100 without monitor. I picked up my 19" without monitor for $50.

I even spotted a working Midway cabinet for about $300 at a local arcade. Don't think the monitor was in good condition, but it was functional. Even without the working monitor, though, that's a GENUINE Midway cabinet for $300 in good condition with clean sides.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2003, 08:24:41 pm »
Like Kelsey "stole" the design of his new Tempest spinner from Atari? What's your point?

Sheesh...

Kevin

Dude, that's the second time that someone else has offered "critism" towards you or Christian, and you bring up my name.   Don't poke the bear....  ;)

BTW, Christian, the cabinet does look very traditional and I personally like the Midway cabinets!  I do have a question about the optional glass that you are offering for the cabinets... Is there a shelf or rails that support the glass?  I can't make out from the photo if there are rails on the insides of the cabinet for the monitor bezel/glass to rest against.

I can imagine many people would find it useful if you were to also offer common things that everyone that purchases the cabinet would probably need anyway; maybe like a Deluxe model that included speakers (perhaps with amp & exterior volume control?), light fixture, integrated power strip with line filter receptacle, leg levelers/castors, vent grilles, etc...  I can imagine that some people may be a bit reluctant drilling holes and modifying a brand new cabinet they just paid $1100 for.  Good luck with the new product!

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2003, 08:44:29 pm »
Dude, that's the second time that someone else has offered "critism" towards you or Christian, and you bring up my name.   Don't poke the bear....  ;)

My point was that it seems that SlikStik is being condemned for something that is a non-factor: i.e., the "copying". I thought it was a cheap shot, especially considering the whole point of retrogaming is reproducing stuff that has already been created once.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had done anything wrong -- in fact, that was part of what I was trying to point out: there's nothing wrong with copying the designs of the past that have worked.

I think you've created some really great products. I also think the same of Christian at SlikStik. Somehow, though, he's managed to rub a lot of people here the wrong way, and now I'm apparently guilty by association.

(Oh, and I won't comment on your "beariness" until I've seen a photo of you.  ::) )

Kevin

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2003, 08:47:03 pm »
There's actually a thread for that in "Everything Else". You may want to consult The Captain.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2003, 09:01:02 pm »
My point was that it seems that SlikStik is being condemned for something that is a non-factor: i.e., the "copying". I thought it was a cheap shot, especially considering the whole point of retrogaming is reproducing stuff that has already been created once.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had done anything wrong -- in fact, that was part of what I was trying to point out: there's nothing wrong with copying the designs of the past that have worked.

I think you've created some really great products. I also think the same of Christian at SlikStik. Somehow, though, he's managed to rub a lot of people here the wrong way, and now I'm apparently guilty by association.

(Oh, and I won't comment on your "beariness" until I've seen a photo of you.  ::) )

Kevin

Aye, mate, I only speaks in jest!  Methinks we can settle it over a bottle o' rum and some wenchin' & pillaging, tho!      ;)

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2003, 09:15:18 pm »
Aye, mate, I only speaks in jest!  Methinks we can settle it over a bottle o' rum and some wenchin' & pillaging, tho!      ;)

You've seen too many promos for "Pirates of the Caribbean," methinks...

Although that bottle of rum sounds pretty good about now.  ;D

jakejake28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2005, 07:23:54 pm
  • Thank you sir, may I have another?
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2003, 09:45:09 pm »
has anyone thought that the extra $$$ you pay is for the assurance of getting a quality cabinet. i know it is possible to build for less, but can you gaurantee that your cab will look as slick( ;D) as theirs? just think about it...
It's all about the Pentiums

night

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2018, 02:08:19 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2003, 10:59:34 pm »
ok i gotta jump in with a slightly OT....

what does everyone hate about the xarcade cab ? no coindoor? the shelves? ???