Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sony PVM-2950Q - connecting a PC to it ? Mounting it in a Candy Cabinet?  (Read 24110 times)

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
Re: Sony PVM-2950Q - connecting a PC to it ? Mounting it in a Candy Cabinet?
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 08:54:47 pm »
a member of arcade otaku had this problem and solved it by removing the metal brackets that go over the back of the chassis.  The neckboard fit with about an inch to spare. 

As long as you don't plan on moving your cab much this is probably an ok solution.

eastbayarb

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2013, 12:15:06 pm
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 09:01:45 pm »
a member of arcade otaku had this problem and solved it by removing the metal brackets that go over the back of the chassis.  The neckboard fit with about an inch to spare. 

As long as you don't plan on moving your cab much this is probably an ok solution.

I tried taking off the metal brackets, but all of a sudden, I heard this strange sound like a baloon that was letting out air. I looked at the back, and some
glass thing in the back was broken. I think the weight of the motherboard pulled on it and broke it :(

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 12:16:22 am »
I hope you didn't break the neckboard!

Have you inspected it to see if it has only been pulled out of it's socket?

Make sure the monitor is discharged before attempting to remove it and reseat it if you do.

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 02:40:40 am »
yep it's broken - already trashed it :(

apfelanni

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 01:55:28 pm
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 01:30:20 pm »
replacing a broken arcademonitor with a sony pvm or pgm usually is a very bad idea. this type of video monitors are large , heavy , filled 2 the roof with tech and not easy 2 dismantle. use em like they are meant 2 be or leave it in the casing and build a cabinet around it .

the easiest way of arcade monitor substitution is ripping a tv. i replaced several burned tubes and broken arcade chassis in japanese , chinese and eurocabs with philips , toshiba or samsung tubes and tv chassis taken from common brand tvs. if ur naomi tube sucks , use a 29 inch toshiba tv one . it fits 100 % with the mounting holes of ur cabinet . ll u have 2 check is the type of tube , if its curved , semi or pure flat so the bezel will match  . 

there is no difference in picture quality between arcade and tv using rgb 15 khz or rgb 31 khz via vga input , except ur tv doesnt directly support the jamma stuff and has a computerlike osd where everthing can be set via remote control. 

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2010, 10:09:01 pm »

there is no difference in picture quality between arcade and tv using rgb 15 khz or rgb 31 khz via vga input , except ur tv doesnt directly support the jamma stuff and has a computerlike osd where everthing can be set via remote control. 

I disagree. Best a tube TV can do is component, which (unless it is 480p) doesn't compare to pure RGB.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2010, 02:44:11 am »
Best a tube TV can do is component, which (unless it is 480p) doesn't compare to pure RGB.

Sorry to have to tell you this, but that statement is complete bullsh!t
Check out my completed projects!

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2010, 04:04:08 am »
SCART TV owners would like to have a word with you.  

Additionally, many TV tubes are actually superior in quality compared to arcade tubes.  

And believe it or not there are some 4:3 CRT TV's that can accept 720p and 1080i signals.  

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2010, 12:20:40 am »
SCART TV owners would like to have a word with you.  

Additionally, many TV tubes are actually superior in quality compared to arcade tubes.  

And believe it or not there are some 4:3 CRT TV's that can accept 720p and 1080i signals.  

I stand corrected then. Now what CRT TV that is 27" 4:3 TV accepts 72op and 1080i (and hopefully 480p as well)?

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:44:10 am by Jack Burton »

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2010, 11:01:35 am »
If all I had to work with was a TV that didn't accept RGB (ie not SCART), but had a good tube, then I'd rip out the tube and buy an arcade monitor chassis to match it. I would not be satisfied with component or worse, I think, except possibly for a truly exceptional TV like a Sony Wega.
Check out my completed projects!

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2010, 05:27:41 pm »
If all I had to work with was a TV that didn't accept RGB (ie not SCART), but had a good tube, then I'd rip out the tube and buy an arcade monitor chassis to match it. I would not be satisfied with component or worse, I think, except possibly for a truly exceptional TV like a Sony Wega.

is that possible? I never heard of anyone using a non arcade/RGB TV and using an arcade monitor chassis

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2010, 06:10:54 pm »
even de-cased? What are my options for my cab and an arcade/rgb monitor?

Here is the best & most affordable  & practical option:

Find a TV tube of the same dimensions. Go by the number on the back of the original tube (e.g. A68XXXXX) and brand, if possible. The 2nd & 3rd characters refer to size in centimetres (so A68XXXXX refers to a 27inch tube, A72XXXXX = 29inch tube etc).

Buy a new monitor chassis to suit from 8liners.com or www.jomac.com.au. The sellers will tell you what to do if you ask. There are also other threads that tell you how to attach the chassis.

chassis + tube = monitor

Be prepared to adjust the top cover to match your screen, unless you manage to get a tube exactly the right shape/size

Already mentioned in this thread.

It is absolutely possible. 

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2010, 06:28:48 pm »
so are you saying I could use any TV tube with any chassis from an arcade monitor?

I was thinking of getting the Zenith C27V36 since it supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. It even has component and DVI

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2010, 10:48:22 pm »
No, only some tube from tv's will work with some chassis.  I highly doubt any of the HD CRT tubes will be compatible.

I know for a fact that nothing with a trinitron tube will work. 

I think if you care about HD then you should get the tv you like, and convert the RGB video to component.  If done correctly it is almost lossless and does not introduce input lag. 

also keep in mind that some modifications to the mounting brackets in your cab may be necessary for a that tv.

Additionally, the tube is not what makes the difference in resolution, it's the chassis.  It is possible you may be able to get a chassis for the tv that is currently in the cab that supports RGB and high resolutions. 

apfelanni

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 01:55:28 pm
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2010, 07:10:34 pm »
i know a couple of tubes used by arcade manufactures which are also build in consumer tvs . the samsung tubes of japanese candys for example . or some hantarex/ sambers polostar using the 100 % identical philips A66EAK552X44 tubes u find in some grundig tvs or other euro arcades with valvo/philips chassis combos . but even if its not 100 % the same tube it can often be adapted to work . a friend of mine replaced some burned blast city tubes with others he took from metz tvs ( a panasonic tube if i remember correct ) . he used the deflecting unit from his arcade chassis and after some tuning the picture was perfect. but i have to mention that his father is an experienced television guy who helped a lot . as i lack his skills and patients i for the most part take the easy route by kicking the failing arcade chassis into the bucket and apply the tv chassis into the machine.   

if its a high res 4:3 crt your looking for try to get ur hands on a professional monitor like nec or mitsubishi. i ll have 2 of the nec xm2960 in my gaming room for console gaming and one as backup ( i had the idea to abuse it for a cocktail table project , but in the end i found it a little offensive ) . they can display anything from 15-64 khz in superb picture quality. i doubt there are many arcade crts that can keep up with it .