Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sony PVM-2950Q - connecting a PC to it ? Mounting it in a Candy Cabinet?  (Read 24080 times)

eastbayarb

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2013, 12:15:06 pm
I have a Sony PVM-2950Q, but it has component video input, but not any other kind of RGB or VGA style inputs. How would I connect a PC to it? My video card doesn't have component video output. Has anyone connected their PC to this and how does it look on this monitor?

Thank you!

P.S.

I got a Jaleco Pony Mark IV candy cabinet recently that can take a 29" monitor like this, so I was wondering if it was indeed possible to somehow mount this monitor (will the shell off of course) inside the cabinet.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 05:23:47 pm by eastbayarb »

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
Re: Sony PVM-2950Q - connecting a PC to it ? Mounting it in a Candy Cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 06:09:47 pm »
Research "component to BNC" or VGA to BNC" adapters.
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:10:40 pm »
Research "component to BNC" or VGA to BNC" adapters.

Thanks, I found that out.

Now about mounting it in a Candy Cab....

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 09:11:49 pm »
Yeah, true component IS RBG.  I have a VGA to BNC cable for a 31" Mitusbishi analog multisync of mine.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:19:23 pm »
Yeah, true component IS RBG.  I have a VGA to BNC cable for a 31" Mitusbishi analog multisync of mine.

Not Quite.  I'm not sure what Component video you are talking about, but if it is YPbPr then you will get a strong green tint over the image if you connect  it to something that is expecting RGsB.  

Now, to the OP.  You have both YCBCR and RGBS available over the BNC connectors on your monitor.  The best thing for you to buy is this:  

This is a RGBS cable and will allow you to use VGA video on your monitor.  If you combine this with an ArcadeVGA or a soft 15khz compativle video card you will be able to display native arcade resolutions on this monitor.

If this monitor is in working condition I can assure you the picture on it will be fantastic.  Astounding even.  

It is absolutely worth the time to put RGBS native video on this monitor.  Do not settle for S-video.

There are a few threads on this forum about these PVM monitors.  I recommend you read them to learn more.

You could mount this in a candy cabinet, but it would be a lot of work.  The monitors are very deep so you would need to modify the cabinet to get them to fit, and also you would need to decase.  They have a lot of electronics inside that would need to find a new place inside the cabinet.   I absolutely do not recommend putting this monitor in a already existing candy cabinet.

However, I think this monitor would be great choice for a scratch built Candy Candy.  Look up the scratch built "Cosmo City" on this forum for an example of this.  You could leave the monitor in its case and build a slightly larger cab around it.  

These monitors are also great for a "half cab"  Which is a cabinet that instead of having a monitor, just has a flat space in front of the CP.  You then place your monitor on this flat space.  This makes it very easy to rotate and transport.  

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:21:32 pm by Jack Burton »

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:24:50 am
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:51:27 am »
OP, can you post a pic of your rear inputs? No, I don't mean a mooning!
Check out my completed projects!

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 04:11:12 pm »

Jack Burton,

I know you don't reccomend putting this monitor in my cab, but the guy I got this cab from mounted a decased CRT TV inside of it and he did a really good job of it. I would just like a higher quality, arcade-like monitor in this thing.

OP, can you post a pic of your rear inputs? No, I don't mean a mooning!

which rear inputs?

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 04:16:49 pm »
Here's a manual since a lot of folks seem to come across this particular model monitor.
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 05:12:12 pm »
...but the guy I got this cab from mounted a decased CRT TV inside of it and he did a really good job of it. I would just like a higher quality, arcade-like monitor in this thing.

What video format is that TV using?

Jack - true component is BNC 5...and maybe 4. We ain't talkin bout TVs here. Anyways, this model can obviously do both; not sure whether the quality would differ.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:15:23 pm by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 07:42:57 pm »
Ummon,

the TV that was installed by the original owner is NTSC. I am currently using an XBOX in it via component video, but I want to put the PVM in it and use RGB

What monitor is recommended to install in this cabinet? I would like a 15hz or maybe tri sync monitor
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:08:29 pm by eastbayarb »

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 07:31:49 pm »
Well, you could try to decase the PVM. Some of the electronics are for the speakers amps inside it. Or, get any 27/29" 15khz or tri-sync arcade monitor. There's stuff on ebay.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 10:55:24 pm »
Well, you could try to decase the PVM. Some of the electronics are for the speakers amps inside it. Or, get any 27/29" 15khz or tri-sync arcade monitor. There's stuff on ebay.

Which try-sync monitor would you recommend? I don't see any on ebay

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 03:56:53 am »
I've decased and mounted TWO three sllightly smaller 27" PVM27QM into wooden cabs that originally held 25" monitors. Mounted from the corner peg holes (modified), like a normal arcade monitor. There is a fair bit of work involved, and you have to be prepared top basically destroy the case in doing so.

The  trouble is, it probably won't work in a candy cab because:

a) the PVM29Q is actually probably larger than most 29" arcade monitors. My 27" PVMs are about the same size as what most sellers call ' 29" arcade monitors ".

b) the Sony trinitron screen (patented to Sony) is a different shape to normal arcade CRTs. It is more like the side of a cylinder than the side of a balloon.

All this means likely problems with fitting the CRT and with getting the top onto it.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:38:57 pm by Zebidee »

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 05:25:43 pm »
Sometimes you have to be clever in your search terms to find the actual plethora of stuff there. Check this thread out:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=97369.0
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 05:30:23 pm »
If you have a TV with component input already installed then you can use an RGB to Component converter and have a very good result:

http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

I think you should suffer only minimal image quality loss with this.  It will allow you to connect both arcade pcbs and pc's running in 15khz mode to your television.

MonMotha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 05:41:53 pm »
The JROK component converter is digital, so it'll have some round-off error, but otherwise quality should be identical.  It's just a colorspace conversion, which can be lossless, and placing sync on luma instead of a separate wire.  Last I heard, the JROK converter was kinda pricey, though.

There are also several RGB to S-Video converters out there.  If done right, quality is almost (but not quite) indistinguishable from RGB on a quality TV.  If done wrong or on a crappy TV, it can look as bad as composite.   I built one several years back and things looked EXCELLENT on a Sony WEGA.  Doing it this way avoids all the scaling that the s-video outputs on PC cards have, so quality is much better than using the onboard s-video output or a scan converter.  Y-Plus (aka arcademvs.com) has a converter that seems to work decently and is quite reasonably priced.

FYI, the confusion between monitor sizes is because the Japanese measure full tube size, including the non-imaged glass area, while Americans only measure the imaged area.  A 29" Japanese monitor is a 27" American monitor, but many arcade cabinets are spec'd for Japanese monitors.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 05:57:43 pm »
These days I go by the number on the back of the tube (e.g A68..... = 68cm = 27 inches or A72..... = 29 inches) OR, even better, by the diagonal distance between the centres of the mounting peg holes.

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 08:14:48 pm »
Does anyone think a 27" arcade monitor will fit in here?

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 10:49:07 pm »
A 27" arcade monitor is the same size as a 29" one.   

What monitor are you thinking of?

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 07:15:43 pm »
Would a Sony PVM-2530 be a better fit if de-cased?

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 04:31:08 am »
Let's  back up here a minute.  

You say you have a TV installed in the cabinet.  Is the image good?  

It's very easy to convert RGB video to Component and allow you to play 15khz arcade games on a TV.  This introduces virtually no visible difference in quality and no input lag.  

If you want to play 31khz games on this tv all you will need to do is either set your pcb to interlaced mode, or tell mame to output 31khz games interlaced.  This will make them look very similar to if you played the console version of a game on a component television.

If you already have a good tv installed I think it would save a lot of headache and time to simply purchase an RGB > Component adapter.

A PVM-2530 will certainly fit.  You will just have to figure out a way to mount it.  You may need to make some sort of adapter to get the smaller monitor to fit the mounts for the 29" one.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:33:34 am by Jack Burton »

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 03:32:50 pm »
Let's  back up here a minute.  

You say you have a TV installed in the cabinet.  Is the image good?  

It's very easy to convert RGB video to Component and allow you to play 15khz arcade games on a TV.  This introduces virtually no visible difference in quality and no input lag.  

If you want to play 31khz games on this tv all you will need to do is either set your pcb to interlaced mode, or tell mame to output 31khz games interlaced.  This will make them look very similar to if you played the console version of a game on a component television.

If you already have a good tv installed I think it would save a lot of headache and time to simply purchase an RGB > Component adapter.

A PVM-2530 will certainly fit.  You will just have to figure out a way to mount it.  You may need to make some sort of adapter to get the smaller monitor to fit the mounts for the 29" one.

The reason I would want a Sony PVM-2950Q is because it is 15khz pure RGB. I have RGB cables for all my systems, and would rather use that, than a system connected with a SCART to component adapter. Trust me, my XBOX looks blurry on this TV that is currently in my cabinet, even through component video connected (no adapter, and with an adapter). I have a SCART to Component adapter and I have tried it on this TV. I was just considering a PVM-2530 since others have said the Sony PVM-2950Q may be hard, or not possible to fit in here.

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 04:57:19 pm »
The main problem with mounting the PVM-2530 is again going to be depth.  You will need to find out the maximum depth that cabinet can fit, and compare it to the PVM.

The measurements for both should be in the manuals for both. 

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 05:05:53 pm »
The main problem with mounting the PVM-2530 is again going to be depth.  You will need to find out the maximum depth that cabinet can fit, and compare it to the PVM.

The measurements for both should be in the manuals for both. 

thanks but i don't have the manuals for either.

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 06:04:29 pm »
PVM manual

http://www.mediacollege.com/cgi-bin/equipment/manual.cgi?model=PVM2530

You should be able to measure your own cab to see if you think it will fit. 

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 07:18:50 pm »
The Sony PVM-2950Q 29 measures 20" deep with the case on. It has a viewable screen size of 27". The current monitor in my cabinet is about 17" deep (de cased of course), and has a 27" screen. So the PVM-2950q may in fact fit. Here is a picture of my cab with the monitor. As you can see, it is mounted on a bracket, and you can pull the bracket forward with the bar on the top. The tube is on this bracket, and the other internal parts of the monitor are behind/below the tube, which are accessible via the cabinet's front door. The TV's speakers are wired to the cabinet.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:48:52 pm by eastbayarb »

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 08:33:52 pm »
Have you taken the back off of your PVM and had a look to see how hard you think it will be to mount decased?

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 08:51:56 pm »
Have you taken the back off of your PVM and had a look to see how hard you think it will be to mount decased?

no it is in storage, which is one of the reasons I posted this thread...just to see if it was worth trying.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 07:30:34 pm »

no it is in storage, which is one of the reasons I posted this thread...just to see if it was worth trying.

It ain't gunna work

Sony screens are a different shape, different size, and have a higher profile at the front.

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 09:41:18 pm »

[/quote]

It ain't gunna work

Sony screens are a different shape, different size, and have a higher profile at the front.
[/quote]

even de-cased? What are my options for my cab and an arcade/rgb monitor?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 01:02:05 am »
even de-cased? What are my options for my cab and an arcade/rgb monitor?

Here is the best & most affordable  & practical option:

Find a TV tube of the same dimensions. Go by the number on the back of the original tube (e.g. A68XXXXX) and brand, if possible. The 2nd & 3rd characters refer to size in centimetres (so A68XXXXX refers to a 27inch tube, A72XXXXX = 29inch tube etc).

Buy a new monitor chassis to suit from 8liners.com or www.jomac.com.au. The sellers will tell you what to do if you ask. There are also other threads that tell you how to attach the chassis.

chassis + tube = monitor

Be prepared to adjust the top cover to match your screen, unless you manage to get a tube exactly the right shape/size

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2009, 12:45:48 am »
I guess my real question is what kind of arcade (not TV) monitor will fit in my candy cabinet without any modification?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2009, 06:29:53 am »
I guess my real question is what kind of arcade (not TV) monitor will fit in my candy cabinet without any modification?

Read my previous post! You have to look at the back of your original tube and it wouldn't hurt if you had a look at the monitor chassis as well.

The way I described in my last post is probably the most practical and affordable way for you to get an ARCADE MONITOR into your candy shell.

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 11:25:53 am »
Yup, if you do as Zebidee say you will be switching the tube from your TV from use as TV to an arcade monitor.

This is a literal switch.  There's no part of a TV left in there.  It IS an arcade monitor when you're done.  And if you do it right it's a damn good one too.

A lot of modern TV's, especially brand names, had tubes that were higher quality than most arcade monitors, and especially better than a Makvision or something similar that you might put in there.

I know the people on arcadeotaku and shumps are fond of Nanao MS9's though.  If you were to go that route I'd look for one.  Sanwa makes a good monitor too, or so I've heard.

And of course there is Nieman displays here in the US.

Or even Wells Gardner.  I saw a person put a D9800 into and Egret cab a little while back.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:27:28 am by Jack Burton »

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2009, 02:05:47 pm »
Yup, if you do as Zebidee say you will be switching the tube from your TV from use as TV to an arcade monitor.

This is a literal switch.  There's no part of a TV left in there.  It IS an arcade monitor when you're done.  And if you do it right it's a damn good one too.

A lot of modern TV's, especially brand names, had tubes that were higher quality than most arcade monitors, and especially better than a Makvision or something similar that you might put in there.

I know the people on arcadeotaku and shumps are fond of Nanao MS9's though.  If you were to go that route I'd look for one.  Sanwa makes a good monitor too, or so I've heard.

And of course there is Nieman displays here in the US.

Or even Wells Gardner.  I saw a person put a D9800 into and Egret cab a little while back.

The point is I don't want to replace a tube from a regular TV with another tube from a regular TV. I want a tube from an arcade monitor that will fit in my cab with no modification. I will look into a D9800 or similar.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2009, 05:30:45 pm »
The point is I don't want to replace a tube from a regular TV with another tube from a regular TV. I want a tube from an arcade monitor that will fit in my cab with no modification. I will look into a D9800 or similar.

Arcade monitors tubes are exactly the exactly same as TV tubes.

TV tube = Arcade monitor tube = TV tube

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 07:35:53 pm »
How about a Wells Gardner 9200 ?

edit - tried and doesn't fit
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:47:01 am by eastbayarb »

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 09:48:36 am »
reason I want to get an arcade monitor is because I want to use my PC with ArcadeVGA card to achieve all the different kind of resolutions. Does anyone know of a suitable arcade monitor for my cab? The TV that is in my cab now
is ok, but even with component video (this TV only supports 480i), it is blurry

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 02:46:34 pm »
With this sort of thing it's often necessary to make some modifications to the mounting bracket of the monitor or the mounting plates inside the cabinet. 

How exactly did it not fit?  Did the neckboard hit the back of the back of the cab?

I think these cabs probably came with Wei ya monitors. 

eastbayarb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 08:38:41 pm »
the back of the monitor (metal brace or whatever) hit the back of the cabinet.