Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Thoughts on new 9000 Series LCD from Wells Gardner?  (Read 21073 times)

macrho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2014, 07:53:42 pm
Thoughts on new 9000 Series LCD from Wells Gardner?
« on: October 14, 2009, 07:42:05 am »
Any thoughts on the new LCDs from Wells Gardner?

http://www.wgec.com/products/details.asp?iCat=1&iSubCat=5

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
Re: Thoughts on new 9000 Series LCD from Wells Gardner?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:00:32 am »
Specs are very uninformative. With LCD's we want to know:
- gamut, normal (sRGB) or wide (adobeRGB/NTSC)
- input lag
- viewing angles
- resolution
- panel type. Only the 19 inch screens say they are TN. No information about the 26 and the 32 inch.

Guess you still better off going for a computer monitor like the HP LP 2065 or a LG W2600HP.

solid12345

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2016, 04:02:25 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 05:49:39 pm »
Just curious what makes these LCD industrial monitors so great over a consumer-grade LCD, I mean for the 26 inch I could go get a nice Sony TV for that.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 06:26:37 pm »
Im just curious how they handle the CGA 15khz modes...I mean pixels are a set size on an LCD so what does "Accepts 15khz" actually do?  Is it just reverse scaling the image? So a 320x240 is full screen but really blocky? Ive been curious about this for a while since WG started advertising these.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Blanka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 03:13:34 am »
I mean for the 26 inch I could go get a nice Sony TV for that.
Nope, impossible. TV's under 32 inch are a different league than 32 inch and bigger. Under 32 it's 99% TN panels, from 32 inch up TV's become made of SPVA or SIPS panels.
Under 32 inch, there is a bunch of computer screens that are having the bigger TV image quality.
WG just sells TN crap. I guess they decase normal monitors and charge extra hours for decasing and testing.
And for the CGA resolution, I think you're better off doing upscaling on your videocard. But hey, it is nice to have a no-brainer solution to connect to old-fashioned arcade logic boards. Big problem is that they do not deliver real 4:3 though, common with CGA resolutions, and later widescreen cabs had VGA anyway. Just pick up the HP for LCD-ing classic cabs on MAME.

isucamper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2019, 05:13:08 pm
  • I'm a slasher... of prices!!
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:18:41 am »
Im just curious how they handle the CGA 15khz modes...I mean pixels are a set size on an LCD so what does "Accepts 15khz" actually do?  Is it just reverse scaling the image? So a 320x240 is full screen but really blocky? Ive been curious about this for a while since WG started advertising these.

I was wondering this too but I'm sure they just scale it to the display's native resolution the same way an HDTV scales 480p from a standard def DVD player to 1080p. 
THE SYSTEM          Popeye

kalars123

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 12:31:51 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:21:21 am »
I contacted happ's about the WG LCD and they informed that it does scale to native resolution and refresh rate, the guy i talked to said that "older" boards will work and that some games look just as good on it as they do on a CRT but others still look like complete crap, he wouldn't give me any example's but it's not everyday that someone trying to convince you to buy something say's it crap LOL.

I've thought about buying one to test it out, mostly because I would still be able to hook my PCB's to it through the jamma harness no problem, the cost realy isn't a factor for me, but if my real boards look like crap on it, then i'm not sure i willing to part with the money when i get just get a markvision CRT for more or less the same price.

"EDIT"

HOLY DEAD THREAD BATMAN sorry for bringing upon the zombie apocalypse

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 01:48:12 pm »
That original link is now bad. This one is current:

http://www.wellsgardner.com/products/details.asp?iCat=1&iSubCat=5

Boy are these things overpriced!

mrracer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2012, 08:58:38 pm
  • Were no man has gone before!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 03:14:27 pm »
Any suggestions on a good monitor that will work with the ArcadeVGA 3000 video card? You seem to mention they are expensive could you offer a viable replacement monitor that you would recommend?

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:51:19 pm »
Any suggestions on a good monitor that will work with the ArcadeVGA 3000 video card? You seem to mention they are expensive could you offer a viable replacement monitor that you would recommend?

http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_201&products_id=127  "markvision 25"

http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_201&products_id=325 "markvision 27/29"

those are 2 of about 5 choices that you have now aday's for a real arcade CRT

mrracer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2012, 08:58:38 pm
  • Were no man has gone before!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 12:30:53 am »
How does that compare to the  WGF3299-SHLS42H 9000 Series, 32" LCD W/LG Panel

http://www.wellsgardner.com/products/details.asp?iCat=1&iSubCat=5

What's the difference? How long do these CRT monitors last, I had a WG D9200 and it didn't last too long, I took the arcade cab out of storage just to find out the monitor is showing a green screen.

So was wondering on the difference in quality and longevity between the LCD above and a CRT monitor, I don't want to have to keep reinvesting in these monitors if they keep going out so quickly and easily?

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed!?  ???
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:38:14 am by mrracer »

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 01:16:29 am »
well in another 5ish year's you probably won't have to worry about it anymore as CRT's probably won't be available anymore, then you'll have to use a TV set and when all the old tube sets are gone in mmm 10ish years all there will be is lcd/oled and whatever new display tech they come out with.

Display wise I have no idea, it doesn't seem like anyone has taken the plunge and bought one yet to give it a go, I may have to be the first one since I have the kind of  :burgerking: cash to throw at my cab.

As for how long a CRT lasts it's pretty relative on the build quality, a arcade CRT is uses the same basic tech that old time TV's used they can last anywhere from 6 month's on a realy crappy one, to 40 years on a really good one.  Hell my grandad still has one of those old ass TV's in a box from the early 70's that still works just fine, can't pick up any stations here in the US anymore but works like a charm with the NES hooked up through stone age VHF. And the arcade CRT I use is a WG7k series 25" that is still stock from 1992, and is still going strong 20 years later.
"edit'
also the model you referenced "WGF3299-SHLS42H 9000 Series, 32" LCD W/LG Panel" is no longer produced and has been replaced by the "WGF3299-SIAS03J" just so ya know
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:33:14 am by kalars123 »

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 01:41:19 pm »
I'm gonna go out on a limb, but I figure in 20 years it still won't be that difficult to come across a CRT.  Hundreds of millions of them were made over the last 50 years, and even if 99% are destroyed/recycled that still leaves several million in the wild. 

Now, that's counting every type of CRT ever made.  Which includes small tv's and computer monitors.  If you're looking for a big CRT it's going to be a harder search.  Probably about as hard as getting a nice vintage arcade monitor is right now. 

I think the future of CRT's in this hobby will depend quite a bit on RGB>Composite/S-video adapters.  When one of these converters is applied right they can look very, very good. 

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2011, 05:18:12 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 05:47:35 pm »
well in another 5ish year's you probably won't have to worry about it anymore as CRT's probably won't be available anymore, then you'll have to use a TV set and when all the old tube sets are gone in mmm 10ish years all there will be is lcd/oled and whatever new display tech they come out with.

CRT are not massively manufactured anymore, but it's long time before they actually disappear, if ever. I think CRT will survive complete demise, just like vinyl music records managed to survive CDs, to some degree. The key point is to be "irreplaceable", even if for some small niche market. You can change the future, by not giving up to LCDs and by keep demanding CRTs you could help them survive.

Anyway, since people are getting rid of their CRTs, isn't this actually the best time to get yourself one? They are everywhere, and they are cheap. I found several on the street, bought few for less than $5, some were in my garage collecting dust, and some I was given by friends who wanted to get rid of them. -- Why in the world would you pay for expensive LCD just to get inferior, inadequate and non-authentic display when you can easily find cheap TV or PC CRT monitor and get far better results with much less money?

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 06:29:23 am »
I love CRTs. However. With the recent shader support in MAME, and where I'm betting it's going, the only thing that would stop me from going LCD is the lack of true blacks. If that isn't fixed at the consumer/affordable level in five years, there'll be much worse things to ponder.
-Banned-

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 08:03:44 am »
Well, I didn't know where to post this so maybe it's a bit offtopic. We've been discussing in the previous days about LCD's supposed unability to refresh their panels at any custom rate:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=111988.0

I used to mantain that LCDs are fixed-frequency screens that could only refresh at exact 60 Hz so if fed with any different refresh rate signals that would necessarily produce video artifacts (tearing, etc.). That was actually my biggest argument against LCDs.

After doing some tests with different LCDs I have around, I've concluded that some LCDs can refresh their panels at any random rate. Many others can't.

It's important to notice that I'm not talking about screens that admit any input frequency which they convert after that to fixed 60 Hz by any sort of interpolation algorithm. I mean LCD panels that are actually refreshed at 57.55 or whatever the input frequency is, so you get pure 1 frame -> 1 frame result with no artifacts.

The key for this is not the panel type, but the hardware that processes the signal. It seems that ANY LCD panel could be refreshed at any rate, but just a few models actually allow to deal with a custom signal.

I'm thinking this WG could be one of the lucky models and that might explain why it's somewhat overpriced. So I'm highly interested in getting some report from it if someone here finally gets one.

So far, I've been able to test three different LCD screens, with these results:

- Sony Vaio VGN-C1Z/B: my laptop screen. This is the only one I've seen that actually refreshes its panel at any imaginable rate. I've succesfully tested frequencies from 40-61Hz
- Philips PixelPlus 42" LCD: No luck, as soon as we move from 60 Hz the tv blocks the signal (blue screen). Probably it also admits 50Hz but I didn't test
- Dell U3011: Unfortunately, no luck either with this priced monitor. It actually admits the signal but it seems to convert it to 60 Hz, so if you move from 60 Hz you start seeing artifacts (stuttering when you vsync).

I'm using a combination of Powerstrip and a program of mine to perform the tests.

I think it is important to rectify my arguments on LCDs, at least I regret having been so categoric, and while many of them probably are fixed-frequency models there must be definitely some out there that aren't and it would be great to identify them. Unfortunately there's so little information on this, most specifications are confusing and only refer to the 24p capabilities.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:08:53 am by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 10:48:23 am »
Well Calamity you'll get to know soon I'm ordering one this coming Friday "provided I get my monthly bonus check from work", I'll be sure to post a very detailed review and anything crazy you want me to do with it just let me know.

"edit"

I know refresh rates play a big role in accurately reproducing an image but what about resolution, say UMK3 "being my favorite" was originally 399x253 at @54.5Hz, even if you got your monitor to refresh at 54.5 if it can't display 399x253 isn't it pointless?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:00:03 pm by kalars123 »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 12:18:11 pm »
Well Calamity you'll get to know soon I'm ordering one this coming Friday "provided I get my monthly bonus check from work", I'll be sure to post a very detailed review and anything crazy you want me to do with it just let me know.

"edit"

I know refresh rates play a big role in accurately reproducing an image but what about resolution, say UMK3 "being my favorite" was originally 399x253 at @54.5Hz, even if you got your monitor to refresh at 54.5 if it can't display 399x253 isn't it pointless?

Great, let us know when you get it.

LCD's resolution is fixed indeed, so everything will need to be scaled to its native resolution, 1280x1024 or whatever it is. If you use Mame, you'd probably want to run everything at your LCD's native resolution and let Mame/d3d do all the scaling job. On the other hand if you plug your MK boards then the monitor will be the one to perform the scaling, so the result will depend on its quality.

Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 12:31:24 pm »
well i mean on your point about getting an LCD to do other refreshes besides a single fixed 60hz rate, i fiddled with it abit this morning and my asus will do anything from 25hz interlaced "looks horrid" to 85hz non interlaced, i could even get mame to output umk3 at 399x253@54.5hz and my monitor did it, but it up-scaled the image to 800x600 which made it a 399x253 square in the middle, with Ddraw it looked god awful was all pixelated and stuff, with d3d it didn't look as bad but was still pretty bad.

My point being even if you can drive your monitor at the correct refresh, without the correct resolution, what is the point? Say the D9000 lcd will do the correct refresh but upscales the image to 640x480 then the game still won't play properly, or is the resolution a stand alone property and won't effect the game play?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:34:26 pm by kalars123 »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 04:38:25 pm »
well i mean on your point about getting an LCD to do other refreshes besides a single fixed 60hz rate, i fiddled with it abit this morning and my asus will do anything from 25hz interlaced "looks horrid" to 85hz non interlaced, i could even get mame to output umk3 at 399x253@54.5hz and my monitor did it, but it up-scaled the image to 800x600 which made it a 399x253 square in the middle, with Ddraw it looked god awful was all pixelated and stuff, with d3d it didn't look as bad but was still pretty bad.

Try using -noswitchres so it will use your desktop resolution (use LCD's native) and avoid mode switching. Also use -video d3d as it works better for this at least with the cards I've tested so far.

My point being even if you can drive your monitor at the correct refresh, without the correct resolution, what is the point? Say the D9000 lcd will do the correct refresh but upscales the image to 640x480 then the game still won't play properly, or is the resolution a stand alone property and won't effect the game play?

In fact by using a LCD you are already renouncing to using games native resolutions as everything is going to be resampled to fit its fixed dot matrix, so there's no point in switching resolutions... but if at least you were able to use any custom refresh rate, that is what actually affects gameplay, then it wouldn't be so bad after all, as I'm assuming we can get the best scaling possible so the resolution part is not such a problem and with time LCDs will have even higher resolutions.

Edit: I've found two more LCDs around that truly admit any refresh: Dell E196FP and HP Pavilion f50s.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 04:44:45 pm by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 08:10:56 am »
Well, I didn't know where to post this so maybe it's a bit offtopic. We've been discussing in the previous days about LCD's supposed unability to refresh their panels at any custom rate:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=111988.0

I used to mantain that LCDs are fixed-frequency screens that could only refresh at exact 60 Hz so if fed with any different refresh rate signals that would necessarily produce video artifacts (tearing, etc.). That was actually my biggest argument against LCDs.

After doing some tests with different LCDs I have around, I've concluded that some LCDs can refresh their panels at any random rate. Many others can't.

It's important to notice that I'm not talking about screens that admit any input frequency which they convert after that to fixed 60 Hz by any sort of interpolation algorithm. I mean LCD panels that are actually refreshed at 57.55 or whatever the input frequency is, so you get pure 1 frame -> 1 frame result with no artifacts.

I was looking all over the internet for couple of months to confirm that, and I could not, instead I found evidence to show the opposite. Wikipedia for example states quite plainly in several articles how LCDs have fixed refresh rate, which I quoted in our previous discussion. Anyway, I really see no reason why it would not be possible, but the information on this topic is vague at best, so please let me be sceptical of your findings and let me question your tests. -- What kind of tests did you perform, can you give us download link for that software?

The key for this is not the panel type, but the hardware that processes the signal. It seems that ANY LCD panel could be refreshed at any rate, but just a few models actually allow to deal with a custom signal.

Interesting. Can you point to some info about it?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:12:30 am by torino »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 01:04:23 pm »
Anyway, I really see no reason why it would not be possible, but the information on this topic is vague at best, so please let me be sceptical of your findings and let me question your tests. -- What kind of tests did you perform, can you give us download link for that software?

Yeah I'm sceptical too even after having seen it with my own eyes, because I still need to discard that the video card used doesn't affect the results. So will keep doing tests in the next days.

I've attached a modified experimental version of Arcade_OSD that uses Powerstrip to program the video card instead of registry modelines. So it can be used with any card supported by Powerstrip. Just download and install Powerstrip, restart and run it but do not touch any of its default options, just leave it there and use Arcade_OSD to remote control it (it will use Powerstrip api to directly access your video card). Then select a video mode from Arcade_OSD to edit it at full screen, you'd better use your current desktop mode as sometimes only works that way. Then enter Vertical Geometry and add some lines to the front and back porches, that's the quickest way to alter the default vertical refresh. Once you have a custom refresh, say 58,55 Hz or something like that, press enter or P1 to accept it. If you have picture, now you have to make sure the selected refresh is actually being used. Press "5" for that, that will measure your vertical refresh. During the test you'll see a scrolling pattern: if scrolling is smooth you'll know your LCD is being refreshed at the proper rate.
Steps to create a log:

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 11:35:51 pm »
Yeah I'm sceptical too even after having seen it with my own eyes, because I still need to discard that the video card used doesn't affect the results. So will keep doing tests in the next days.

I've attached a modified experimental version of Arcade_OSD that uses Powerstrip to program the video card instead of registry modelines.

I don't think that's very good pattern, and it's hard to look at.

See this program: http://www.kuratorn.se/011/software/JudderTest11.zip

Do you have CRT with OSD so you can verify refresh rate reported by software is indeed what graphics adapter is sending out? It's quite possible for software to initialize (request) one refresh rate and video card still decide to go on by its own refresh rate without telling you anything about it. Also, in some theory, if monitor has EDID Windows could decide to override your request to video adapter and constrain it to monitor capabilities, so you would not see any tearing or choppiness, but neither your video card would actually be sending out the signal your requested.

This is how I would test it:

1.) boot computer with CRT plugged in that can show refresh rates on OSD

2.) set some resolution with some odd refresh rate, like 57.349 or 54.941

3.) look at CRT OSD and verify refresh rate matches what monitor says

4.) run judder test pattern and observe smoothness on the CRT

5.) now, without quiting the program, unplug CRT and plug in LCD, observe...

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 01:52:12 am »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 08:20:41 am »
I don't think that's very good pattern, and it's hard to look at.

See this program: http://www.kuratorn.se/011/software/JudderTest11.zip

That's a nice program, the problem I'm seeing (I might be wrong) is that it doesn't measure your videocard's real refresh rate, as Arcade_OSD does.

Do you have CRT with OSD so you can verify refresh rate reported by software is indeed what graphics adapter is sending out? It's quite possible for software to initialize (request) one refresh rate and video card still decide to go on by its own refresh rate without telling you anything about it. Also, in some theory, if monitor has EDID Windows could decide to override your request to video adapter and constrain it to monitor capabilities, so you would not see any tearing or choppiness, but neither your video card would actually be sending out the signal your requested.

Sure, but bear in mind I'm actually *measuring* the real refresh rate with Arcade_OSD, it's not a value reported by software but something I compute by syncing to the hardware's vsync signal and using cpu's clock as a reference, during several seconds in order to get a value with three decimal figures of precision.

So, if Windows was cheating with the refresh values we'd know as the measured vfreq value would tell us.

On the other hand, yes, I've got a retired 17" CRT which I'm planning to use for some testing during my holiday, however don't trust so much on the values prompted by a monitor's OSD as a reference, they can't be very accurate as the only way to get good precision value is to measure the refresh during several seconds.

So, unless I'm missing something, if we try a custom refresh of, say 57.349, and these two conditions are met:

- Measured vfreq is 57.349 (or close)
- Scrolling pattern is smooth

... then we have to conclude our LCD is actually refreshing its panel at 57.349 Hz

Finally, you can argue that even if I'm actually sending a custom refresh rate to the monitor, it's internally converting that signal to some fixed 60Hz one. This could be done by 2 means:

- Interpolation: that would explain why a custom refresh rate still allows smooth scrolling, but would necessarily involve blurring artifacts, which I'm not seeing here in the group of LCD monitors I've confirmed that accept custom refresh rates, so I discard this one.

- Constant fps by means of frame skipping/repeating: that might explain the choppiness I'm seeing in the rest of monitors I've tested.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 08:22:21 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

Blanka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 08:25:32 am »
LCD panels themselves stay pretty good over time, but the backlight might not survive that long. As long as there are backlight replacements, you're OK.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 10:42:59 am »
That's a nice program, the problem I'm seeing (I might be wrong) is that it doesn't measure your videocard's real refresh rate, as Arcade_OSD does.

The program pulls those values from PowerStrip, so yes they are not measured, but still it does something similar only the number it reports is not the frame rate itself, but rather "Lost Frames", which you can see at the bottom of the screen during the test. This number, I believe, is a difference between PowerStrip vfreq and the real-time measurement like you do.

Sure, but bear in mind I'm actually *measuring* the real refresh rate with Arcade_OSD, it's not a value reported by software but something I compute by syncing to the hardware's vsync signal and using cpu's clock as a reference, during several seconds in order to get a value with three decimal figures of precision.

So, if Windows was cheating with the refresh values we'd know as the measured vfreq value would tell us.

Yes, I suppose. I think there are still ways to get wrong number depending on hardware settings and API, or even particular video driver, but I agree that should in principle produce good measurement. I'd still rather trust what OSD says, or oscilloscope, as it measures actual analog signal going out of video DAC and what goes into the monitor.

On the other hand, yes, I've got a retired 17" CRT which I'm planning to use for some testing during my holiday, however don't trust so much on the values prompted by a monitor's OSD as a reference, they can't be very accurate as the only way to get good precision value is to measure the refresh during several seconds.

CRTs must have very precise way to control and measure timing, each single second, if that was not the case the picture would fly all over the place, so I think those numbers should be accurate, as accurate as oscilloscope, I would say. I rather trust CRT OSD than software, and with you it's the opposite, so why not have both measurements and we at least know they should not be far off.

So, unless I'm missing something, if we try a custom refresh of, say 57.349, and these two conditions are met:

- Measured vfreq is 57.349 (or close)
- Scrolling pattern is smooth

... then we have to conclude our LCD is actually refreshing its panel at 57.349 Hz

Yes. I only suggest different pattern (vertical bars), make it scroll horizontally and more slowly, and do the vfreq measurement with CRT OSD as well.

Finally, you can argue that even if I'm actually sending a custom refresh rate to the monitor, it's internally converting that signal to some fixed 60Hz one. This could be done by 2 means:

- Interpolation: that would explain why a custom refresh rate still allows smooth scrolling, but would necessarily involve blurring artifacts, which I'm not seeing here in the group of LCD monitors I've confirmed that accept custom refresh rates, so I discard this one.

- Constant fps by means of frame skipping/repeating: that might explain the choppiness I'm seeing in the rest of monitors I've tested.

There is no way to smooth that kind of mismatch in real-time, and maybe not at all. If there is absolutely no choppiness and tearing, like there is none on CRT, then the damn LCD is refreshing at exactly the same rate as the frames are being sent out of the video adapter. The thing is, some people simply can't see it, even on this YouTube video of Moon Patrol:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 01:03:30 pm »
god lord not the moon partol video again  :banghead:

okay... wells gardner made these panels to be COMPATIBLE not TRUE.

they are made to WORK... since CRT's are buh bye, operators need SOMETHING to replace them with. operators are just looking for something that can display the game image so they can get the game back on route and making money. they don't give a !@#$ if the pixels don't line up or if there is screen tear or the image has 1/8th of an inch cut off. they are made to just work.

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 01:29:31 pm »
if you read my review though, the lovely thing about this panel is it will more than just work, it truly is a replacement for a CRT if you have the cash to burn on it, correct resolution's although stretched to 16:9 i don't really even notice the stretching personally I'm not sure of what magic this thing uses but it is some black magic that's for sure.
And it refreshes at the correct rate, again some seriously black magic.

pics aren't the best go go cell phone camera

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 10:09:22 pm »

I don't understand why would you mind, let alone be upset about it.

You forgot to mention what's your objection about, what's the problem?

The visual numbness I'm talking about seem to be quite real medical curiosity, say like color blindness. And just as if you're were arguing with color blind person what's red and what's green, where having actual picture of those colors can only help establish some common reference, so is the purpose of this video to help us find agreement, or at least better understand the disagreement. Ok?

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 10:17:50 pm »

Maybe it's not magic, but just a trick your eyes play on you. You are the person who said that YouTube video looks mostly "smooth", while it's actually the most ridiculous display of frame rate choppiness, juddered and hiccups. Plus, it's hard to believe your statement when you are the only person in the world to claim it. Can you point any manual or technical document somewhere on the interent that can confirm supposed variable refresh rates of your, or any other LCD in the world? Some factory specification, data sheet, blue print, something, anything, anything at all?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 01:26:06 am »

I don't understand why would you mind, let alone be upset about it.

You forgot to mention what's your objection about, what's the problem?

i guess you stopped reading this thread http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112032.0

uhm, guise... you do know you are watching a YOUTUBE video where (likely) an MPEG video was converted to FLV using an encoder right?!?!? of course it's going to look choppy it's a CRAPPY video!

i wouldn't say that. your forgetting the video is a second generation recode. depending on the origin of the video, the quality of the encoders (yes x2), hell even the speed of the computer that's trying to play MAME AND record video at the same time. 

and all this at 240p *sigh*

I wouldn't doubt the issues with stuttering and dropped frames you are "seeing" in this video are a result of a combination of all these things. you can't process information this much without having some loss. FLV off youtube is probably the worst quality video you can get. it's probably right next to RF directly into a TV.

the only way you would be able to see anything that's directly related to frequency VS display speed would be to have a stream of bitmap screen captures of EVERY frame being output by MAME and having a corresponding frame captured from the monitor. which is going to be impossible due to the way the LCD refreshes the screen image.

i say: if you like to play, play. if you want 100% accuracy, buy the real thing.

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 03:00:11 am »

Maybe it's not magic, but just a trick your eyes play on you. You are the person who said that YouTube video looks mostly "smooth", while it's actually the most ridiculous display of frame rate choppiness, juddered and hiccups. Plus, it's hard to believe your statement when you are the only person in the world to claim it. Can you point any manual or technical document somewhere on the interent that can confirm supposed variable refresh rates of your, or any other LCD in the world? Some factory specification, data sheet, blue print, something, anything, anything at all?

no i don't think i really need to considering I have the product right here in front of me, if you want your more than welcome to drive to Texas and come over, i don't understand why you think it's completely impossible for an LCD to refresh at any OTHER rate than 60hz, you've said you completely believe the OSD of a CRT that it's reporting the correct refresh rate but the OSD of an LCD is lying? Sorta hypocritical isn't it

"edit"
here's your proof than an LCD is capable of doing other refreshes than just 60hz
http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/T260XW02%20V.C.pdf
page 16, section 7 subsection 7.1
clearly stats that it is capable of refresh from 47hz to 63hz Vertical. now that may or may not be the spec sheet for the panel in the D9000 LCD but the panel in the D9000 is a AU panel, and that spec sheet clearly states that AU is capable and does produce panel's with variable vertical refreshes
"2nd edit"
To further Calamity's and my arguement here is a quote from Agreed on the AVS forums which explains this much better than i ever could.
Well, there have been some straightforward facts presented.

Fact 1: LCDs don't have refresh rates in the same sense that other technologies do, they have response times. The liquid crystals change state, they're limited by response time, not refresh rate.

So, fact 2: If the video processing technology feeding the LCD tells them to change state every 1/24ths of a second (okay, 1/23.97th, whatever), they're happy to do so. This is exactly what goes on in 120hz TVs doing a 5:5 pulldown anyway, from the LCD panel's perspective. Just because the video processor deals with it in terms of "okay do 5 repeats of this frame, now 5 of this frame, now 5 of this frame" and so on until it has served up 120 frames in a second doesn't mean the LCD is serving up 5 repeats then 5 repeats then 5 repeats - it just stays the same for all 5 of those frames that it is given, for a total of 24 actual state changes in a second.

Finally fact 3: The panel itself does not impose a technological limitation that would prevent 24p content from being shown at 24hz. The only question is what the actual supporting hardware and software in the TV itself can feed the screen. Here it would be helpful to know some more about the specific engineering problems faced in serving lower framerate content. For example, A-series Samsung TVs had a visual banding problem when displaying 24p content. It got fixed in a firmware update. Who knows what was going on there?

So it isn't that people are "talking out of their asses" about all this. There are clear facts, and there are questions. I'd like to have some of the questions answered, that would be great.

you can read the full thread here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1218547

"3rd edit"
http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/T260XW01%20V.8.pdf another model
page 12 section 3 subsection 3.3

http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/T260XW03%20V.3.pdf and yet another model

and since we don't want anyone saying I'm playing favorites with AoU here's a Samsung model picket at random
http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/LTA230W1-L07.pdf
page 10 section 3 subsection 3.1
you said you could never find any proof that an LCD could refresh at any other rate that 60hz and yet in less than 30mins of searching i found 4 manufacture spec sheets one picked completely randomly that prove otherwise. So quite spouting off your wikinonsence it's not the panel's that are incapable of different refresh rates, it the monitor manufactures that restrict said refresh rates if 98% of consumes will never use any other refresh rate than 60hz why spend the extra money on the circuitry to feed that signal to the panel, when they can make a few monitor's that will feed the signal to the panel and charge a hefty premium for it ALA D9000 lcd
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:47:47 am by kalars123 »

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04:22 am »
no i don't think i really need to considering I have the product right here in front of me, if you want your more than welcome to drive to Texas and come over, i don't understand why you think it's completely impossible for an LCD to refresh at any OTHER rate than 60hz,

Yes, thank you for your generous review. It's just unfortunate consequence of human subjectivity I must sort your personal findings under question mark, but what I am really saying is that if the feature actually existed (today) someone else would must have said somewhere something about it.

EDIT: I see you posted some interesting references in the meantime, that's fantastic, thank you, but give me some time to go through that and just ignore the parts of this message you have already addressed. Although, I could tell you just the same I spoke previously to Wells Gardner via e-mail about this. I asked them four times that one and the same question. Three times they pointed me to INPUT refresh rates, to which I replied that I want to know about the OUTPUT and actual display refresh rates, then after third time I did not get any replay from them any more. 

you've said you completely believe the OSD of a CRT that it's reporting the correct refresh rate but the OSD of an LCD is lying? Sorta hypocritical isn't it

CRTs are analog devices, controlled by varying voltages in video signal. The last component to have video information before the signal leaves computer is DAC (digital to analog converter). That's the signal CRTs work directly with. On the other hand LCDs are digital devices. The first component to welcome video signal in an LCD is ADC (analog to digital converter), which converts continuous quantity to a discrete time digital representation. This is why I would rather trust CRT than LCD OSD or PC software, and this also may explain why there is no any information about refresh rate after decimal point on your display. Yours is actually the first LCD I know that shows refresh rates on OSD, but I am afraid that is only description of input signal and not what is actually going on with the display itself, although I'd prefer to be proven wrong, so let me now see what additional evidence you got there...

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 08:02:10 am »
what kind of LCD's are you using? my Asus reports Vrefresh and Hsync rate, hell even my crappy Viewsonic reports Vrefresh, I just for life of me can't understand why, you won't accept that LCD {PANELS} are capable of variable refreshes, neither I nor Calamity are saying that your or anyone's {MONITOR} is capable of it, only that the {PANEL'S} are and depending on manufacture needs they design circuitry to feed only certain ranges of refresh rates to the panel either being 59.9hz-65hz or 43hz-75hz, even the retail sales documentation for Asus monitor said that it was capable from 55hz-85hz. I can understand why there are few if any detailed documentation on the matter manufactures make things that people need, and people only need 60hz, if 99/100 people only need 60hz then 99/100 monitors will support only a small range of refresh rates on either side of 60hz, but that doesn't mean that the panels them selves can't display other refresh rates only that manufactures are building monitors that will sell, could you imagine the confusion "in the US atleast" if manufactures built thier monitors to display the whole range of the panel's capability's and then gave that information out as a selling point? people would be confused to all hell.  We just want something that will work, we don't care what the technical specs of it are we just want to hook up our PS3's and Xbox 360's and have it work. And the people that do care about the technical specs will pay that HUGE premium for a monitor that will do it all.

But I digress I'm done arguing with you, even after giving you the proof you asked for your still won't accept it. So my recommendation to you is to drop the $650 on a WG9000 LCD and see for yourself.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:23:20 am by kalars123 »

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 11:08:17 am »
"edit"
here's your proof than an LCD is capable of doing other refreshes than just 60hz
http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/T260XW02 V.C.pdf
page 16, section 7 subsection 7.1
clearly stats that it is capable of refresh from 47hz to 63hz Vertical. now that may or may not be the spec sheet for the panel in the D9000 LCD but the panel in the D9000 is a AU panel, and that spec sheet clearly states that AU is capable and does produce panel's with variable vertical refreshes

That's about *input*, title says: "Timing characteristics of LCD module input signals".

"2nd edit"
To further Calamity's and my arguement here is a quote from Agreed on the AVS forums which explains this much better than i ever could.

Calamity could have been under temporary illusion,
I think we are yet to hear his final conclusion,
but it seems fair to agree, that he can be a referee.

Fact 1: LCDs don't have refresh rates in the same sense that other technologies do...

Of course they do, there is no other way to depict motion, except for vector monitors and holograms. LCDs could possibly update only those pixels that changed since last frame, and by doing so completely skew the meaning of "frames per second", but when the camera pans and when the screen scrolls then often all the pixels change every frame, thus it all really must come down to same old thing - "frame by frame", amount of which in one second is known as 'frame rate' and is exactly what defines the very concept of "animation" itself, either live television broadcast, cartoon or movie, on CRT, LCD or via Projector, digital or analog signal, recorded on VHS or DVD, it's always the same, it's the only way.

So, fact 2: If the video processing technology feeding the LCD tells them to change state every 1/24ths of a second (okay, 1/23.97th, whatever), they're happy to do so. This is exactly what goes on in 120hz TVs doing a 5:5 pulldown anyway, from the LCD panel's perspective. Just because the video processor deals with it in terms of "okay do 5 repeats of this frame, now 5 of this frame, now 5 of this frame" and so on until it has served up 120 frames in a second doesn't mean the LCD is serving up 5 repeats then 5 repeats then 5 repeats - it just stays the same for all 5 of those frames that it is given, for a total of 24 actual state changes in a second.

You are confusing frame rate conversion with syncing. If the display can refresh at exact rate as video feed then there are no any repeated or skipped frames, no any fractions either, it's 1:1. Also, it is something completely different to convert frame rates when they are whole multiples, but if they are not, like in our case, then there will be choppiness and/or tearing.

Finally fact 3: The panel itself does not impose a technological limitation that would prevent 24p content from being shown at 24hz. The only question is what the actual supporting hardware and software in the TV itself can feed the screen.

It's not important where is the limitation, and you are haste to conclude that's not the display itself. Of course liquid crystals have some operational range, but that's "safe range", or maximum capability under best and worse case scenario, still none of that says anything about how the final assembly and complete products actually work.

"3rd edit"
http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/T260XW01 V.8.pdf another model

That's about *input* again, title says: "3-3 Input Timing Specifications".

http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/T260XW03 V.3.pdf and yet another model

That's about *input* again, it says: "This is the signal timing required at the input..."

and since we don't want anyone saying I'm playing favorites with AoU here's a Samsung model picket at random
http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/LTA230W1-L07.pdf
page 10 section 3 subsection 3.1

That's about *input* ("connector") again, it says: "The connector for display data & timing signal..."

you said you could never find any proof that an LCD could refresh at any other rate that 60hz and yet in less than 30mins of searching i found 4 manufacture spec sheets one picked completely randomly that prove otherwise.

No, I did not say that, and no you did not find any evidence any LCD can sync to some range of variable refresh rates. All you did is confirm what we already knew, which is that LCDs are made to replace CRTs and therefore are compatible with the same INPUT signal, but that has nothing to do with how many frames they can actually OUTPUT on their displays.

So quite spouting off your wikinonsence it's not the panel's that are incapable of different refresh rates, it the monitor manufactures that restrict said refresh rates if 98% of consumes will never use any other refresh rate than 60hz why spend the extra money on the circuitry to feed that signal to the panel, when they can make a few monitor's that will feed the signal to the panel and charge a hefty premium for it ALA D9000 lcd

I repeat, all the "evidence" you presented is only about INPUT signal, not OUTPUT refresh rate of the screen itself. -- You know, at the beginning LCDs were doing only 15fps, some 20, then 30, and it's only rather recently they got them up to 60 and eventually above 120fps, but the whole time they could sure take this same variable INPUT, the same as CRT could. And somehow people didn't notice anything even then, but this blindness is not of medical origin, it is a manifestation of what is called "planned obsolescence" - the desire on the part of a consumer.. to own something.. a little newer.. a little sooner.. than it's necessary. **The Light Bulb Conspiracy: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/light-bulb-conspiracy

Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-doo,
I’ve got a perfect puzzle for you.

Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-dee,
If you are wise you’ll listen to me!

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 11:30:44 am »
like i said I'm done arguing with you, there's no need for Calamity to any sort of referee as there is nothing to referee.  You believe what you will I have the product in front of me and no matter what I say or show you will convince you otherwise it's like trying to explain the difference between red and blue to a blind man, no matter what they just won't get it because they can't see it for themselves, like I said buy a WG LCD hook it up and see for yourself.
I won't respond to this thread any longer unless someone poses a question about the WG 9000 LCD.

"edit"
and really the Oompa Loompa song?
are we in 3rd grade?

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 12:21:03 pm »
i guess you stopped reading this thread http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112032.0

I replied to your comment the first time around. Yes, it's very CRAPPY video, full of choppiness, judder and hiccups...which is exactly why it's a good example of those visual problems. That's the whole point. Now, see what's above my reply in that thread, kalars123 described it as: - "you can tell where the game runs smooth, then jumps a few frames to catch up". He sees only occasional big glitches, he does not seem to notice there is constant judder too, that original difference between Moon Patrol's 57 and 60/30fps of the output/recording.

Would you say that video runs "smooth" anywhere?

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 12:39:31 pm »
like i said I'm done arguing with you, there's no need for Calamity to any sort of referee as there is nothing to referee.  You believe what you will I have the product in front of me and no matter what I say or show you will convince you otherwise it's like trying to explain the difference between red and blue to a blind man, no matter what they just won't get it because they can't see it for themselves, like I said buy a WG LCD hook it up and see for yourself.
I won't respond to this thread any longer unless someone poses a question about the WG 9000 LCD.

I'd rather you did not take it personally. Usually people call it "discussion" and "debate", sure it's still "arguing", but there is nothing wrong about it. Arguing is very important scientific tool people use to find out the truth, together. It's not you against me, it's two of us on the same side, driving around in a van and solving mysteries.

Anyway, as you wish, ignore if you like, but let me say there is no convincing or explanation necessary, I am only asking to see some document that can actually confirm your assumptions, and all you found is specifications about INPUT signal. -- You know, we never even got to the point to discuss the possibility your LCD support several predefined refresh rates, I think that's far more likely, although still not the same as syncing to some range of arbitrary (variable) refresh rates.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:48:17 pm by torino »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 01:42:57 pm »
Calamity could have been under temporary illusion,

:lol
I must admit you have your moments.

I'm a CRT lover, I won't probably switch to a LCD screen for retro-gaming in my life.

That said, one of my main arguments against LCDs (I still have others) was its supposedly fixed refresh rate. Partly inspired by the debate started in this forum I figured out the experiment I explained above. To my surprise, 4 out of 7 LCDs that I've tested so far can actually refresh their panels at any custom refresh rates. 3 of the lucky ones are pre-2005 HP/Dell models. The forth one is in my Sony laptop. More modern LCDs I've tested (these include a 42" Philips TV and a four figures priced 30" Dell monitor) completely miss this capability. So one would say this feature has been dropped on the way during recent years.

So sportmanship must prevail over pride and I have to admit that *some* LCDs do refresh at custom rates. I honestly think these are great news for the hobby, and would be happy if eventually a sort of list of suitable monitors emerged out this debate.

This also implies that some other LCDs *can't* refresh at custom rates, and therefore will suffer from all sort of ugly motion artifacts when fed with custom refresh rates (arcade games).

As there isn't much information available, the only way to draw conclusions is to test each single monitor. In order to get reliable results, you need:

- The objective part: A reliable input refresh source: I proposed a modded Arcade_OSD + Powerstrip (PS would be enough but Arcade_OSD allows you to double check the actual refresh obtained).

- The subjective part: A reliable judder detector: one's eye

You have exposed your objections on both of these premises of my experiment. Basically, your arguments are:

- You dislike the scrolling pattern I use,

- You have doubts on the actual refresh rate of the source even if I'm telling you tham I'm actually measuring it by means of an external clock, and what I'm measuring is the rate of the hardware's sync signal, not some sort of software emulated crap, and

- You have doubts on my eye's sensitivity to judder, and are condescending enough as to consider I may have been under temporary illusion. I can't blame you for this and won't ask you an act of faith, and it would be worthless to try to persuade you of how trained I am on detecting video artifacts.

Steps to create a log:

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 04:30:04 am »
To my surprise, 4 out of 7 LCDs that I've tested so far can actually refresh their panels at any custom refresh rates. 3 of the lucky ones are pre-2005 HP/Dell models. The forth one is in my Sony laptop. More modern LCDs I've tested (these include a 42" Philips TV and a four figures priced 30" Dell monitor) completely miss this capability. So one would say this feature has been dropped on the way during recent years.

Would you ever even bother start considering something as potentially believable, for which you can not find a single reference on the internet?

You know, we can actually e-mail manufacturers and simply ask them directly? Which I did, as you may know from that CabMame thread, and neither sale person or technician could tell me anything about it, as if they do not understand the question, as if that technology simply does not exist and they haven't got the slightest clue what am I talking about.

How come Wells-Gardner themselves don't know about a feature of their own product, especially since it would be very important for many different game boards it is supposed to support? How do you explain that, twilight zone? Do you think you can get direct confirmation about supposed variable refresh rates from any company that sells or manufactures these LCDs, any at all?

As there isn't much information available, the only way to draw conclusions is to test each single monitor.

Hold on, there is not *any* actual information confirming any LCD can sync to some range of arbitrary refresh rates, it's very much the opposite. We are not talking about pink unicorns, we are talking about very common and everyday household item. You can't just skip over that little peculiarity of "missing information" and ignore the rest of the world. Even people who make them and sell them don't seem to know anything about it, c'mon?!

Every article talking about it says LCDs have fixed refresh rates, and there is no single document to say otherwise, but you still want us to believe in this mysterious unspoken truth despite apperant contradiction with absolute majority of information? That's equivalent of expecting people to believe the Earth is flat, it's preposterous, is it not?

- You dislike the scrolling pattern I use,

- You have doubts on the actual refresh rate of the source even if I'm telling you tham I'm actually measuring it by means of an external clock, and what I'm measuring is the rate of the hardware's sync signal, not some sort of software emulated crap, and

I think your pattern is very nice, just awfully hard to look at, and it's not very effective for this test. What's the problem with trying horizontally scrolling vertical bars, or simply use that JudderTest program, don't you realize that's the best possible pattern for this?

Yes, I have doubts about software measurements. Try changing vsync setting from the control panel, try using different API, different video card, different driver, try switching between page flipping, double buffering and triple buffering, then you will notice your number will not always stay the same. And what's the problem with plugging in CRT with OSD to double-check the measurement?

- You have doubts on my eye's sensitivity to judder, and are condescending enough as to consider I may have been under temporary illusion. I can't blame you for this and won't ask you an act of faith, and it would be worthless to try to persuade you of how trained I am on detecting video artifacts.

Do you realize you two are the only people in the world to claim this? Doesn't that strike you as strange? Perhaps you could tell manufacturers about your discovery and what their LCDs are capable of, and then maybe they will start advertising, or at least mention it, in their specification sheets and manuals, how about it?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:32:36 am by torino »

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 05:38:29 am »
against my better judgment I've decided to reply to you in this thread one more time, you do realize that those spec sheets i gave you, are for the display panel ONLY, no supporting hardware..... Why would panel manufactures make a display capable of accepting and therefore in turn output any other range of vrefresh other than <=> 60hz you can say that those are tolerance's of the panel it self, but it doesn't change the fact the it's still capable of accepting a variable range of input and in turn display that input, again this is something that I think you having a problem grasping the separation of JUST the display panel without any supporting hardware "ie processing logic board, scaling cpu, frequency blocking...ect" and a whole completed monitor which has all that installed on it. Again neither Calamity nor I are saying every single LCD monitor/tv is capable of doing this, only that a some are but to completely disregard the fact that some "again not all" LCD panels are capable of this is just plain ignorant. Using your logic 120hz and 240hz LCD TV's are just a figment of our imagination's and don't really exist and they are only displaying at 60hz

Here is a spec sheet for a Samsung LCD panel that is capable of accepting and therefore outputting only 60hz.  And you have said you only contacted Wells Gardner, they aren't a manufacture they are an assembler they take other company's parts and assemble them with their own logic boards.  If you want to get answer's about what a LCD panel is capable of then you should be calling the LCD panel manufactures IE AoU, Chimei, BoE,Hannstar..ect of course than means you going to have to call Korea,China, or Taiwan.

http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/LTN141XD-L01.pdf
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:09:44 am by kalars123 »

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 09:22:31 am »
you do realize that those spec sheets i gave you, are for the display panel ONLY, no supporting hardware.....

They appear quite complete to me, how else could they take analog VGA input and what for would they need back porch, front porch and blanking signal if that was some internal and direct input to LCD matrix itself? In any case, all that is about INPUT, which is not the same thing as OUTPUT.

Why would panel manufactures make a display capable of accepting and therefore in turn output any other range of vrefresh other than <=> 60hz you can say that those are tolerance's of the panel it self, but it doesn't change the fact the it's still capable of accepting a variable range of input and in turn display that input,

- "display capable of accepting --?--> and therefore in turn output"

- "accepting a variable range of input --?--> and in turn display that input"

Do you see a leap of faith there? Input is not the same thing as output, they are not related directly.

Again neither Calamity nor I are saying every single LCD monitor/tv is capable of doing this, only that a some are but to completely disregard the fact that some "again not all" LCD panels are capable of this is just plain ignorant.

Ignorant? Do you understand every single web page about this topic confirms LCDs have fixed refresh rates, and there is no single sentence on the whole world wide web to say the opposite? It's only you who is interpreting INPUT signal specification as display OUTPUT specification.

Using your logic 120hz and 240hz LCD TV's are just a figment of our imagination's and don't really exist and they are only displaying at 60hz

Stop misquoting me, you don't even know what we are talking about. There is a difference between built-in set of predefined refresh rates and ability to sync to some range of arbitrary refresh rates. You are claiming the second one, and I previously pointed out we haven't even discussed yet the first option at all, remember?

And you have said you only contacted Wells Gardner, they aren't a manufacture they are an assembler they take other company's parts and assemble them with their own logic boards.  If you want to get answer's about what a LCD panel is capable of then you should be calling the LCD panel manufactures IE AoU, Chimei, BoE,Hannstar..ect of course than means you going to have to call Korea,China, or Taiwan.

This issue is very much related to arcade games only, if anyone should know anything about it's Wells Gardner, thought they should at least be aware what the hell are they assembling there, and maybe even test some of it, sometimes. In any case, you go ahead and contact whomever you want, see if you can get confirmation.

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 09:46:00 am »
Again your failing to understand the difference between a LCD display "panel" and an LCD monitor the former being like a CRT tube, the later being a CRT tube+chassis, I assure you that a CRT tube is quite capable of displaying a whole range of  frequency's more until the chassis is attached which then processes the signal and restricts it to a safe operational range. You ask how else they would feed analog VGA input into a LCD panel unless it was complete? They don't feed an analog VGA input into it at all, they hook it up to a test machine which feeds it a digital signal to test the absolute operational ranges of the panel. Input standards such as VGA,DVI,Display Port,HDMI come later after the logic boards have been attached and even then with basic video processing the analog VGA signal get's converted to a digital signal to be compatible with the digital LCD display.

yes and your misquoting me, I'm saying that they are capable of displaying other refresh rates than 60hz, whether that be a predefined set of refresh rate "IE 54hz, 57hz, 60hz, 63hz or 100hz,120hz,240hz" what I'm understanding you to say is no they are locked and can display ONLY 60hz, are we then agreeing that they are capable of displaying other refresh rates? and this is just a big misunderstanding?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:27:46 am by kalars123 »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2011, 12:09:28 pm »
torino,

Even if you show some pretty valid intuitions here and there, most of your doubts come from your more than obvious lack of experience and misconceptions on basic subjects, rather than healthy skepticism, something that's not bad at all unless you insist on pontificating all the time.

CRTs must have very precise way to control and measure timing, each single second, if that was not the case the picture would fly all over the place, so I think those numbers should be accurate, as accurate as oscilloscope, I would say. I rather trust CRT OSD than software, and with you it's the opposite, so why not have both measurements and we at least know they should not be far off.

Negative. CRTs just need to sync to the input signal, they don't even need to know what the actual frequency is at all. OSDs are just a relatively recent add-on, and you can't expect accurate figures out of them, just accurate enough to make decisions on blocking the video if they consider the input is out of range.

Yes, I have doubts about software measurements. Try changing vsync setting from the control panel, try using different API, different video card, different driver, try switching between page flipping, double buffering and triple buffering, then you will notice your number will not always stay the same. And what's the problem with plugging in CRT with OSD to double-check the measurement?

I'm not an electronic engineer, just a hobby user with some experience on this particular subject. And in my experience, results are very consistent if you really know what you're doing.

I don't have a CRT with OSD around to test for you, instead of that, have a look at the tests that a folk from the Spanish forum did using an oscilloscope to confirm that the real output of a R7000 card corresponds to the modeline timings:

http://www.marcianitos.in/foro/thread/41/52/14152_4.html
Steps to create a log:

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2011, 01:45:31 pm »
Again your failing to understand the difference between a LCD display "panel" and an LCD monitor the former being like a CRT tube, the later being a CRT tube+chassis, I assure you that a CRT tube is quite capable of displaying a whole range of colors and frequency's more until the chassis is attached which then processes the signal and restricts it to a safe operational range. You ask how else they would feed analog VGA input into a LCD panel unless it was complete? They don't feed an analog VGA input into it at all, they hook it up to a test machine which feeds it a digital signal to test the absolute operational ranges of the panel. Input standards such as VGA,DVI,Display Port,HDMI come later after the logic boards have been attached and even then with basic video processing the analog VGA signal get's converted to a digital signal to be compatible with the digital LCD display.

That was the signal described as "input" in the specs, so what you call "just panel" obviously already has some kind of converter built-in, and they also listed some "control circuit", driver ICs and even power supply.

But why are we talking about incomplete units in the first place, let's talk about your and Calamity's monitors?

yes and your misquoting me, I'm saying that they are capable of displaying other refresh rates than 60hz, whether that be a predefined set of refresh rate "IE 54hz, 57hz, 60hz, 63hz or 100hz,120hz,240hz" what I'm understanding you to say is no they are locked and can display ONLY 60hz, are we then agreeing that they are capable of displaying other refresh rates? and this is just a big misunderstanding?

You said in your review:
- "..this LCD panel will refresh AT ANY RATE, regardless of what the nay-sayer's think this panel is the proof"

I'm not making any claims here, I just want to know if what you said is indeed true, that's all.

Please, words have their meanings, what you call "ANY" rate, Calamity named "CUSTOM", which is the same thing as what I call "RANGE", "VARIABLE" or "ARBITRARY". We never even discussed the possibility your monitor could have built-in some set of predefined refresh rates and *jump* from one to another, which I said is more likely, but then we are still left to explain Calamity's LCDs that, as he says, can truly sync (slide) to whatever "custom" refresh rate within some range.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2011, 01:59:04 pm »
Even if you show some pretty valid intuitions here and there, most of your doubts come from your more than obvious lack of experience and misconceptions on basic subjects, rather than healthy skepticism, something that's not bad at all unless you insist on pontificating all the time.

Perhaps irrelevant insult is your answer to how there is no single sentence on the whole world wide web to back up your claim?

Negative. CRTs just need to sync to the input signal, they don't even need to know what the actual frequency is at all. OSDs are just a relatively recent add-on, and you can't expect accurate figures out of them, just accurate enough to make decisions on blocking the video if they consider the input is out of range.

You forgot mention "why". Why can't we expect it to be accurate? What part of what you said makes it hard for OSD to count frames against whatever timer and display results as accurate as the timer itself?

I don't have a CRT with OSD around to test for you,

You said in previously:
- "...yes, I've got a retired 17" CRT which I'm planning to use for some testing during my holiday"

I am not asking you to do anything for me, I just wanted to help with my extraordinary experience and legendary skills as I expected having no reference to back up your claim you would at least want to make sure your tests are as good as possible. So, with or without CRT OSD, are you going to repeat the test with at least one of those variable refresh LCDs but with JudderTest program and proper pattern this time?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:02:24 pm by torino »

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2011, 02:02:37 pm »
perhaps me saying "at any rate" was to broad reaching and I'm willing to admit that and will fix that error in my review, however as far as the equipment i have, the unit will refresh at the correct rate, I can't say for sure if it is round the frequency up or not as the OSD will only display whole number's but everything I've tested with it points to the fact that it is capable of displaying 54hz-61hz, I'm definitely not saying that it will refresh at absolutely any random number as that would be impossible not even CRT's are capable of that everything has it's limit's.

I also want to point out, your reliance on a CRT's OSD is that not also just describing the input signal? Why would a CRT's OSD be any different than an LCD's OSD it would make absolutely no sense if one was displaying what's actually on the screen, and one displaying what the input signal was, the only logical thing to conclude is that they are both displaying the same information either it being the input signal, or what is actually being displayed.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:07:45 pm by kalars123 »

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2011, 03:07:35 pm »
perhaps me saying "at any rate" was to broad reaching and I'm willing to admit that and will fix that error in my review, however as far as the equipment i have, the unit will refresh at the correct rate, I can't say for sure if it is round the frequency up or not as the OSD will only display whole number's but everything I've tested with it points to the fact that it is capable of displaying 54hz-61hz, I'm definitely not saying that it will refresh at absolutely any random number as that would be impossible not even CRT's are capable of that everything has it's limit's.

Yeah, leave it as it is. Let's say it's open question, we're just talking, driving around in a van and solving mysteries, but eventually, hopefully, we will answer all the questions, to everyone's satisfaction, and then we will live happily ever after.

I also want to point out, your reliance on a CRT's OSD is that not also just describing the input signal? Why would a CRT's OSD be any different than an LCD's OSD it would make absolutely no sense if one was displaying what's actually on the screen, and one displaying what the input signal was, the only logical thing to conclude is that they are both displaying the same information either it being the input signal, or what is actually being displayed.

What do you mean "just"? That's exactly what we want it to describe, and as Calamity pointed all the rest of CRT image generation process kind of just dances along to that rhythm coded within the 'input signal' itself.

Now, LCDs seem to have fixed refresh rates and so this input signal tempo would be irrelevant if they anyway refresh only according to their internal built-in clock, but all this is under question mark and what we are trying to figure out here.

Sure it's possible LCDs could be as accurate, I just do not trust LCDs because instead of "raw" input signal they could be working with its digital simplification after it goes through ADC unit and already loose precision. But what's the use, your LCD OSD does not show any numbers behind decimal point anyway, whatever it measures it's obviously not accurate enough regardless of what the reason behind it really is.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:13:29 pm by torino »

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2011, 03:45:41 pm »
Even if it's not as "accurate" as a CRT which i would definitely be on the other side of the fence about a digital device is infinitely more accurate than a analog device, we are talking 10ths and 100ths of a Hrz here, in other words lets take UMK3 as an example it's original refresh rate was 54.815170Hz, now when i run my UMK3 PCB on my LCD the OSD say's it's refreshing at 55hrz, now were talking about .18483Hrz difference, using dumb math, that's 1/10th second aka imperceptible to the human eye when it's in a moving picture. So the discussion still comes back to if you believe that my monitor is really displaying at 55hrz or not, not how accurately it calculating the refresh speed it displays on the OSD, even a CRT OSD is not going to show anything past the 10ths decimal point, though i'm sure some very high end CRT's could display 100th's but certainly not 1000th's or 10,000th's.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:49:00 pm by kalars123 »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2011, 05:03:40 pm »
Perhaps irrelevant insult is your answer to how there is no single sentence on the whole world wide web to back up your claim?

Hey torino, please don't be so delicate, we're debating aren't we?

Surprisingly, a lot of stuff from the real world is not documented at all in the www, we have to face that. Probably just because nobody is really interested.

I'm open to change my opinion if someone with proper technical knowledge on these devices provides us with an explanation. By now I trust my own direct observations on the monitors I have around. Perhaps you could provide us with some detais on the tests you're performing to back up your arguments, or a link to those articles you mentioned.

I have a question for you: have you ever seen a perfectly smooth scroll on the LCD screen where you test? I mean, using juddertest long enough to be absolutely sure there is no judder on that particular video mode/refresh? (60Hz?)
Steps to create a log:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2011, 07:00:55 pm »
speaking nothing regarding the A/D board placed into the LCD (panel only)

i would imagine that the actual refresh rate of an LCD panel would only be limited by the time it takes to switch the pixels. (however many microseconds of that particular panel is rated for.)

maybe the individual pixel elements operate kind of like an MPEG encoder... (only changing (or updating) those pixels that have changed since the last frame update) the rest being latched on by the panel hardware.  :dunno

if you all REALLY want i can pull out the oscilloscope tomorrow and test what the switching frequency of an individual pixel element is.

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2011, 07:31:02 pm »
lilshawn that would be very appreciated, though i can tell you that the switching frequency is ~1mhz "1,000,000 C/S or approximately 1 microsecond". Of course that is only an average or best case scenario of an individual pixel different panels will have different ratings because of build quality and I tried to explain how the refresh rate is dictated by the ability of the pixel to change states "response time", perhaps you can explain it better than I can, I'm not at all very good at technical explanations.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:34:55 pm by kalars123 »

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 03:12:01 am »
...digital device is infinitely more accurate than a analog device

Absolutely not, the very meaning of those words is exactly the opposite:

a.) digital = discrete, finite resolution

b.) analog = continuous, infinite resolution (infinite divisibility)

By the way "accuracy" is the most general description, it's combination of resolution or "granularity" and "precision", where those two could be the same, but precision itself could also bring additional limitations along with it. Granularity or resolution usually refers to raw data, something we measure, while precision refers to our instrument with which we measure, or how good it is to catch all the detail and capture resolution/granularity of that thing we measure.

Do you know about Zeno's paradox with Achilles and tortoise?

Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-doo, I’ve got a perfect puzzle for you.
Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-dee, if you are wise you’ll listen to me!

take UMK3 as an example it's original refresh rate was 54.815170Hz, now when i run my UMK3 PCB on my LCD the OSD say's it's refreshing at 55hrz, now were talking about .18483Hrz difference, using dumb math, that's 1/10th second aka imperceptible to the human eye when it's in a moving picture.

Ay, caramba! What your math there actually tells you is how often some frames will be repeated, which is exactly what produces visual glitch. If your hypothetical scenario was true, you would have a hiccups at about every 5 seconds interval. It's interesting actually, the smaller the difference the more sparse and, in a way, more obvious individual glitches become, ask Calamity.

feed 55 --> display 60fps (5.0 difference) = repeat 5 frames each second

feed 57 --> display 60fps (3.0 difference) = repeat 3 frames each second

feed 59.5 --> display 60fps (0.5 difference) = repeat 1 frame every 2 seconds

feed 59.8 --> display 60fps (0.2 difference) = repeat 1 frame every 5 seconds

feed 57.8 -- display 60fps (2.2 difference) = repeat 2 frames each second + 1 frame every 5 seconds

So the discussion still comes back to if you believe that my monitor is really displaying at 55hrz or not, not how accurately it calculating the refresh speed it displays on the OSD, even a CRT OSD is not going to show anything past the 10ths decimal point, though i'm sure some very high end CRT's could display 100th's but certainly not 1000th's or 10,000th's.

It would be sufficient for us OSD could show if only two digits after decimal point. Anyway, we are not talking about gods and afterlife, we do not live in a cave, we live in 21 century and information age. I do not want to "believe" anything, I want to *know* the facts. Please find information about the features of your LCD in your manual or ask the seller to confirm its specifications, it's your consumer right to know.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 03:14:57 am »

Surprisingly, a lot of stuff from the real world is not documented at all in the www, we have to face that. Probably just because nobody is really interested.

Not documented?! What you are claiming is not even MENTIONED anywhere, people don't talk about it, no one seem to know about it, not even sales and technical department at Wells-Gardner.

On the other hand there is millions of Google results on this topic, and all of them say LCDs have fixed refresh rate. People are very much interested, can't you do 10 minutes web search and see for yourself? Can you not obtain direct confirmation from some company itself, or are you saying it's "normal" even they don't know anything about it?

I'm open to change my opinion if someone with proper technical knowledge on these devices provides us with an explanation. By now I trust my own direct observations on the monitors I have around. Perhaps you could provide us with some detais on the tests you're performing to back up your arguments, or a link to those articles you mentioned.

We have already talked about it plenty, it's simple:

a.) Use JudderTest and with proper pattern repeat observation on at least one of those variable refresh LCDs

- AND/OR -

b.) Find information about that LCD in some manual or contact customer support to confirm its specifications

What do you expect, someone will come here to answer our question? Just ask them yourself, like I did, we live in 21 century, you have e-mail and phone and they have customers services, they'll be happy to help you and answer your question, and who better to ask than people who make them and sell them, right?

I have a question for you: have you ever seen a perfectly smooth scroll on the LCD screen where you test? I mean, using juddertest long enough to be absolutely sure there is no judder on that particular video mode/refresh? (60Hz?)

There is either choppiness or tearing on my LCD when refresh rate of video feed is different from 60fps.

Why are you asking about my monitor? It's your monitors that seem special and what's under question.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 03:39:30 am »
There is either choppiness or tearing on my LCD when refresh rate of video feed is different from 60fps.

So, when video feed is 60 fps, there is no choppiness on your LCD, right?
Steps to create a log:

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2011, 07:03:43 am »
So, when video feed is 60 fps, there is no choppiness on your LCD, right?

Where are you going with this, beside off topic? I could be blind and not have any computer nor monitor as far as this discussion goes - we are not talking about me, but you, your observations, your conclusions, your monitors and your claims. What are you even talking about, is your question about JudderTest program or in general?

With JudderTest I can't do it since all resolutions report refresh rate different from 60.0, like 77.1, 60.9 and 63.4. With MAME I was also unable to achieve smooth scroll even if the game was supposedly running at exactly 60fps. Generally speaking I am not sure. I know I saw plenty of choppiness and tearing in many games and video material, but I can't really say if there was anything running absolutely smoothly on my LCD, maybe it was just me not paying proper attention, I don't know. I don't even know if my LCD is refreshing at exactly 60fps, or could it be 59.8, or something, maybe it's not stable, maybe it actually varies, but involuntarily, and maybe it's really impossible to achieve smooth frame rate sync with LCDs, I don't know... do you?

Did I answer your question? What was the point?

My question to you is, whether or not are you going to do any of this, any time soon:

a.) Use JudderTest and with proper pattern repeat observation on at least one of those variable refresh LCDs
- AND/OR -
b.) Find information about that LCD in some manual or contact customer support to confirm its specifications

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2011, 09:50:55 pm »
speaking nothing regarding the A/D board placed into the LCD (panel only)

i would imagine that the actual refresh rate of an LCD panel would only be limited by the time it takes to switch the pixels. (however many microseconds of that particular panel is rated for.)

There is a little computer in there, for the little people who live inside, it comes all together with its own GPU, CPU and RAM, and data bus, address bus and control bus, and buffers and cache, and these things have their maximum write and read speeds, access and transfer times, wait times, their internal clocks and bits of width.

The first thing little LCD people have to do when dealing with computer video feed is to undo what graphic adapter has done just a moment ago, then do it all over again, and then do something similar yet again, only this last time the target frame buffer memory would not be VRAM/SRAM but something more complex and much slower, the "LCD matrix RAM", as Oompa Loompas call it.

Even without ADC unit there is a lot of other stuff to easily affect the final outcome, it's in the nature of digital processing and data transfer in-between all those components, and this is all before the data comes to the final dispatch converter that will actually output assigned voltage levels to crystals in the panel matrix itself... and then, on top of all that, only when voltage has already reached the pixel do we have 'response time' starting to happen.

Response time is more of an additional delay type of thing, rather than the source of the problem, and although it sure is ALSO one of the bounds for MAXIMUM frame rate number, it's not really an explanation for "coarse granularity", or why an LCD refresh rate(s) would be FIXED rather than VARIABLE.

It seems more likely the answer to that question is within properties of the little computer that necessarily comes with our LCDs, not the crystal matrix itself. All those components work in very consecutive, sequential, linear and lock-synced way, so even if the frame buffer SRAM could be asynchronous, the whole process and actual realization would be as limited as the worst part of it all, not only in relation to our temporal resolution or chrono-granularity, but similarly it would also constrain overall pixel bandwidth and define the majority of output lag/delay, as well as the number of maximum colors.

maybe the individual pixel elements operate kind of like an MPEG encoder... (only changing (or updating) those pixels that have changed since the last frame update) the rest being latched on by the panel hardware. 

Perhaps, although there would still need to be "refresh rate", maybe not "_frame rate" per se, but when camera pans and when the screen scrolls then often all the pixel change every frame, and then you have to satisfy two conditions if that panning or scrolling is to be absolutely smooth:

1.) all the pixels must be able to change into their assigned colors before it's time for the next frame

2.) the time spacing between output frames must match with video feed frame rate --> 1:1 mapping

if you all REALLY want i can pull out the oscilloscope tomorrow and test what the switching frequency of an individual pixel element is.

Yeah, please do that. I would really, really like to know those results. I'd also like if you could measure the sync signal coming out of video card VGA port and see if you can decode refresh rate from it. That would be fantastic.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2011, 08:20:33 am »
So here goes the test:

- System: Windows XP-32bits
- CRT_Emudriver 9.3 XP-32bits
- Powerstrip 3.90
- Juddertest 1.1

Test monitors:

- CRT, 15" LG (late 90's)
- LCD-1, 17" HP 1740 (pre-2005)
- LCD-2, 20" Dell 2007WFPb

This will show how we can test custom refresh rates on the fly only using CRT_Emudriver + Arcade_OSD. For the first test, I'm setting 640x480@60 using Arcade_OSD. We already have a 640x480 custom modeline that overrides the equivalent system mode (that's why the edit menus are highlighted):

The quickest way to create a custom refresh rate is by editing the vertical geometry, so we enter this menu:

First we need to disable the vfreq lock, then we will increase front and back porches by the same amount of lines. As we do that, we'll notice how our precalculated vertical refresh goes down. We are going to try with a refresh around 55Hz, so when we get close to that figure, we'll press P1 or Enter to accept the new timings, then the screen will blink for one instant as the monitor syncs to the new timings. Now we press 5 to measure the real refresh rate. We'll see an scrolling pattern for some seconds while the refresh value is measured. Scrolling is perfectly smooth as we're using a CRT and screen updates are synchronized to our video card's vblank signal. Resulting refresh turns out to be 55.076 Hz (very close the the refresh used by many Irem games):

Then we enter our monitor's OSD, to check that the input signal has the expected vfreq. Unfortunately this old CRT only shows integer values for refresh rate:

Now, without exiting this menu, we switch vga cables, now hooking the HP LCD to the vga output. The picture blinks for a instant as the monitor adjusts for the custom timings. OSD shows 55.1Hz as the input signal. We press 5 again to see that the scrolling pattern is perfectly smooth, no judder at all:

Now we repeat the process with the Dell LCD. Its OSD only shows integer values too (55). But now, when we press 5, the scroll is full of choppiness and judder:

Its interesting to notice that in these three cases, calculated vfreq turned out to be 55.076 Hz, so its obvious that our output signal is not altered by switching monitors.

For the next tests, we are going to use Powerstrip as the method for working with custom timings. We won't edit those timings directly through the Powerstrip user interface, but using Juddertest instead which uses Powerstrip API to handle custom video timings. So we need to install Powerstrip, reboot, and execute it, and we'll be ready for using Juddertest.

First of all, we're going to set the desktop to the video mode we want to test, as Juddertest can't change the video mode dynamically. We'll use Arcade_OSD for that. In the mode list, we notice there's an interesting system's native mode: 800x600@56Hz. We'll select this one and set it as our desktop mode:

Now, we'll measure its vfreq, to make sure it's the right one:

Vfreq measured by Arcade_OSD is 56.250 Hz:

We'll notice that the edit menus are disabled for this mode. This is because it's a driver's native mode, not at custom one, so we can't have access to its timings with the methods used by Arcade_OSD. Fortunately, Powerstrip allows us to edit the timings of any video mode, as it can access hardware directly using its own driver.

So it's time to run Juddertest. This program will read the timings of the active video mode getting them from Powerstrip's hidden window. If we look at the vertical geometry column, we'll notice the refresh rate is the exact same one that Arcade_OSD measured: 56.250 Hz

Now we get into the test itself and enter the OSD to check the signal's refresh is the right one. The vertical bars scroll smoothly as expected for a CRT:

Now, let's switch to the HP LCD. We do this without exiting or stopping the test, so no cheating is possible:

Unlike with the previous video mode, now the OSD only shows the video mode formatted without decimals. I believe this is because this time the monitor recognizes the resolution as we haven't tweaked it. As for the judder, there's nothing but a perfectly smooth scrolling, no choppiness at all.

Now, let's switch to the Dell LCD. As soon as we plug the cable and the picture stabilizes, we notice that the scroll is not smooth any more, it's full of little jumps and even tearing:

Dell's OSD shows the right refresh anyway.

Finally, we are going to test a 57 Hz mode. For this test, we are going to start enabling the native standard 800x600@60 built in the driver. We plug our CRT again and from Arcade_OSD we select the mode:

What we're going to do is to tweak this mode and reduce its refresh to something around 57 Hz. This time we'll use Juddertest's interface for doing that:

As we did before, we'll increase both vertical porches until we reach the frequency we want, 57.390 Hz:

Once we press Apply and the new mode is on the screen, we can enter the test. Again, our OSD shows the right frequency:

Now we switch to the HP LCD, and a beatiful 57.3 figure is shown on its OSD, as the scroll rolls smooth as silk:

We think its enough for a day and don't feel like plugging the Dell monitor as the scroll is going to be crap anyway, but hey, let's do it for the sake of science:

Oh my... Surprisingly, now the Dell also shows an incredibly smooth scroll with this 57 Hz frequency.

This reinforces the idea that LCD devices have some predefined ranges for the input signal where they are able to update the panel at the original signal's refresh provided the input falls within that range, rather than a "fixed" frequency. This range may be wider or narrower depending on the model, even possibly be several different ranges, but its likely to be a feature related to accompanying board harware rather than some fundamental property of the panel itself.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:12:33 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2011, 11:14:18 am »
Calamity, that's excellent, very good indeed. And it looks smooth, you say? What a nice mystery! You know, I got it smooth too. I actually completely believe what you're saying, but I still have to question those conclusions and implications, completion of explanations.

You see, when I force "wait for vertical refresh" in video hardware settings I too get what looks like rather smooth scroll, with both your program and JudderTest, even with resolutions like 1024x768 @ 77.1Hz, where supposedly 17 frames are missing each second. -- Does that mean my monitor is not only variable multi-sync like yours, but it also can go up to 77 fps, and more? It is also curious, how can PowerStrip possibly initialize 77.1Hz refresh resolution and then your program calculates 60.91fps, what's going on there?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2011, 01:10:45 pm »
I found a similar thing. There is a definite distinct difference between manufacturers.

i don't have my notes with me here, but i scoped out the output drivers of a couple of monitors i had lying around. i know nothing of IPS or TFT or whatever, so i'll have to do some research to find out what these monitors are

a 15inch NEC multisync circa 2004 (chosen because it seems to sync to just about ANYTHING)

a 15inch IBM brand circa 2009 (unknown who the actual manufacturer is. the panel has no other markings or stickers.) this panel is limited to all but the most common resolutions

a 17inch panel of unknown origin... i believe it is a decased ELO touchscreen monitor. still looking in this info. it has been heavily modified.

i have a couple of 19's but i haven't got around to peeling the cases open yet.

seems the actual pixel output on the NEC is dynamic... it changes frequency to match the input. (IE. if the input is @60hz the panel is also driven at this frequency 75, the same almost the same as a CRT) interestingly enough i cant detect a pulse on a static screen image (either that or my scope isn't fast enough to pick it up) there is a little bit of noise...but i can't be positive. i can really only see it when there is a constantly changing image. (which kinda makes me think about the whole MPEG screen update theory) another interesting thing i found with the NEC was that between a top of the panel pixel and a bottom of the screen pixel, the pulse timings are identical. so tick one for a "whole" screen update theory.

i tried the IBM branded monitor next and found that this monitor was absolutly retarded. must have been something in house designed... but no stickers, it is much newer than the others, produced sometime in 2009. i cant tell who made anything on it. i tried to feed it a 800x600@75hz signal but wouldn't take anything over 60. hmm. okay. tried to force a few lower frequencies and different resolutions with it. no go. 60 it is then. i don't have the setup right now to test as extensive as Dalamity did but. much to my surprise the panel pixels where much higher than 60.  :dizzy: i'm officially confused now. i set this one aside for some more tinkering but it looks like the panel is refreshed at a fixed rate

the "ELO" monitor performed much the same as the NEC. it seemed to take just about anything resolution wise. it's design looks older, so i can only guess the technology is similar to the NEC. tests where identical.

i'm going to try and borrow a better scope and get a little deeper.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2011, 02:28:04 pm »
It is also curious, how can PowerStrip possibly initialize 77.1Hz refresh resolution and then your program calculates 60.91fps, what's going on there?

That's a problem of Arcade_OSD, I made it for testing low resolutions so for the test grid I just used Windows API to render lines, which is extremely slow, so when testing high resolutions or high refresh rates, it's not fast enough to render the whole frame in time, and the counter is not reliable for this reason. I definitely need to change the pattern drawing method, probably using assembly for that routine.
Steps to create a log:

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2011, 03:58:35 pm »
It is also curious, how can PowerStrip possibly initialize 77.1Hz refresh resolution and then your program calculates 60.91fps, what's going on there?

That's a problem of Arcade_OSD, I made it for testing low resolutions so for the test grid I just used Windows API to render lines, which is extremely slow, so when testing high resolutions or high refresh rates, it's not fast enough to render the whole frame in time, and the counter is not reliable for this reason. I definitely need to change the pattern drawing method, probably using assembly for that routine.

No, that's not it. Drawing a little pattern can't be that slow, no matter how poorly coded. I can actually see how fast it draws if I disable "wait for vertical refresh" in video hardware settings, and then I get over 120fps, plus the number varies slightly each time. The other thing about it is that your program comes up with that exact 60.912fps number quite often and with other resolutions and refresh rates too. Interestingly that just happens to be the same frequency as "native" refresh rate of my full LCD resolution, which is 1280x800@60.9 as PowerStrip says, and your program agrees there, as well it seems to be the same number against which JudderTest reports "Lost Frames". -- Can you try that same resolution (1024x768 @ 77.1Hz) with different "wait for vertical refresh" video hardware settings, and see what numbers you get, and whether it still smoothly scrolls?

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2011, 04:12:13 pm »

Looking forward to that. Something is not quite right here, huh?

Where's official information, why everyone says LCD fps are fixed?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2011, 05:18:35 pm »

Looking forward to that. Something is not quite right here, huh?

it could just be different technologies... TFT vs IPS

kalars123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2011, 12:49:48 am »
I think its more likly that its drawn from "common knowledge" everyone says it so, so it must me be, even if its not true 100% of the time

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2011, 02:38:58 am »

it could just be different technologies... TFT vs IPS

Why, how, what? -- No, this does not seem to be related to the technology of crystal polarization at all, but to limitations of the driving circuitry, the thing that actually outputs voltage levels to the crystal grid and has direct connection to individual pixels in the matrix.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2011, 02:40:42 am »
i don't have my notes with me here, but i scoped out the output drivers of a couple of monitors i had lying around.

What are you measuring? What is "output drivers", some controller IC inside LCD?

How many output "pins" that thing has, what kind of signal it is and where it goes?

seems the actual pixel output on the NEC is dynamic... it changes frequency to match the input. (IE. if the input is @60hz the panel is also driven at this frequency 75, the same almost the same as a CRT

Are you measuring some kind of connection going directly to a single pixel or maybe a whole row of pixels, or what? Are there some markings on that electrical component, can you properly identify what is that thing you are measuring?

i don't have the setup right now to test as extensive as Dalamity did but. much to my surprise the panel pixels where much higher than 60.

Are you measuring voltage pulses of individual crystals in the panel matrix itself? How do you do that, where exactly do you place your probes?

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2011, 03:02:44 am »
I think its more likly that its drawn from "common knowledge" everyone says it so, so it must me be, even if its not true 100% of the time

What are you talking about? It's like you never seen the internet before. You go ahead and ask me anything else about anything else. Ask me how Space Shuttle works, or any single part of it, ask me how to build a nuclear bomb... ask me anything and I will show you overwhelming amount of information about it, official information from text-books, factory specifications, manufacturing data sheets, patents, papers, manuals, articles, blogs and forums where people are talking about it.

You see, as TVs become bigger and bigger, so things it displays get further and further apart, there is actually more and more talk going on about refresh rates, frame rate interpolation and conversion, and automatically everything else that goes along with it. This does not seem as something companies would even want to hide from the consumer, so how in the world do you then explain something like it could remain a mystery, instead of to be ADVERTISED?! How do you explain people at Wells-Gardner do not know abut it?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2011, 06:05:28 am »
No, that's not it. Drawing a little pattern can't be that slow, no matter how poorly coded. I can actually see how fast it draws if I disable "wait for vertical refresh" in video hardware settings, and then I get over 120fps, plus the number varies slightly each time. The other thing about it is that your program comes up with that exact 60.912fps number quite often and with other resolutions and refresh rates too. Interestingly that just happens to be the same frequency as "native" refresh rate of my full LCD resolution, which is 1280x800@60.9 as PowerStrip says, and your program agrees there, as well it seems to be the same number against which JudderTest reports "Lost Frames". -- Can you try that same resolution (1024x768 @ 77.1Hz) with different "wait for vertical refresh" video hardware settings, and see what numbers you get, and whether it still smoothly scrolls?

Arcade_OSD already performs its own wait for vertical retrace based on the DirectDraw API, so if its running full speed unless you enable some hardware option that means DirectDraw acceleration is disabled in your system, check that in dxdiag, screen tab.

There's something interesting that I found when using Powerstrip API to read the hardware values after switching to the different resolutions built in my laptop (nVidia card, LCD with 1280x800 native resolution). It turns out that different resolutions are emulated! Using the modded Arcade_OSD I attached before in this thread (that can read the hardware values directly from Powerstrip), I noticed that regardless the full screen resolution I set with Arcade_OSD, it always read the same values for xres, yres: 1280x800 (desktop resolution). So if I set something like 1024x768, the video card somehow scales the frame and then outputs it at 1280x800. The side effect is that Powerstrip doesn't recognize the resolution as 1024x768 and thus it does not apply our predefined custom timings. So if this is the case, I bet your 1024x768@77.1Hz timings are not being used at all. Then if you want to test custom timings with Arcade_OSD + Powerstrip in these cases, either apply the custom timings to the monitor's native resolution and only test this one, or set the desktop at the desired custom resolution before running the tests.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:26:12 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2011, 12:42:45 pm »
Arcade_OSD already performs its own wait for vertical retrace based on the DirectDraw API, so if its running full speed unless you enable some hardware option that means DirectDraw acceleration is disabled in your system, check that in dxdiag, screen tab.

In that case it only "requests", it does not "perform" it by itself, and I apperantly have external control over it by changing video driver settings. I told you exactly what, how and why. It is not "some" hardware option, I was very specific that it is "WAIT FOR VERTICAL REFRESH" settings, which everyone should know is a part of general video driver configuration and has nothing to do with dxdiag or DiractDraw acceleration.

a.) Always Off
b.) Off, unless application specifies
c.) On, unless application specifies
d.) Always On

Does this look familiar? Do you know what I am talking about now?

There's something interesting that I found when using Powerstrip API to read the hardware values after switching to the different resolutions built in my laptop (nVidia card, LCD with 1280x800 native resolution). It turns out that different resolutions are emulated!

Interesting indeed. How is that even possible, what's the purpose? 

How can GPU decide to override initialization and deceive you like that?

Why would GPU do such thing for LCD, why would it care, how could it know?

Using the modded Arcade_OSD I attached before in this thread (that can read the hardware values directly from Powerstrip), I noticed that regardless the full screen resolution I set with Arcade_OSD, it always read the same values for xres, yres: 1280x800 (desktop resolution). So if I set something like 1024x768, the video card somehow scales the frame and then outputs it at 1280x800.

It sounds like you are describing a simple BUG, but instead of to realize 'software problem' you are blaming it on some supposed heinously useless "feature" built in video adapter itself. Although, basically, you seem to be confirming software can not be trusted since the hardware will do its own thing independently, secretly and regardless anyway, is that what you're saying?

The side effect is that Powerstrip doesn't recognize the resolution as 1024x768 and thus it does not apply our predefined custom timings.

Recognize? PowerStrip MAKES it happen by doing hardware INITIALIZATION, which is why you can see the picture go out of sync if you enable "Real-time adjustment" in advanced timing options and change parameters randomly, wouldn't you agree? In contrast there is nothing in DirectX API to help you set up or control custom resolutions and refresh rates, so what PowerStrip does is not sending "requests" via API and Windows drivers, but it actually pokes video hardware registers quite directly, and that's not "recognizing" that's "initializing", isn't that right? So, the point again seem to be how software can not be trusted since the hardware will do its own thing independently, secretly and regardless anyway, is that what you're saying?

So if this is the case, I bet your 1024x768@77.1Hz timings are not being used at all. Then if you want to test custom timings with Arcade_OSD + Powerstrip in these cases, either apply the custom timings to the monitor's native resolution and only test this one, or set the desktop at the desired custom resolution before running the tests.

I did set up custom timings, like 75.8Hz, and everything is still smooth with both your test program and JudderTest, only this time your application reports 60.2 instead of 60.9 fps. I want to underline none of those tricks with forcing "wait for vertical refresh" in video hardware driver settings actually work with MAME, I can't get Scramble or Moon Patrol to scroll smoothly even if I force 60fps and no matter whatever else I try. -- So, did you actually manage to get correct timing reported by your software @ 77 Hz with ANY of your computers, at all? Was scroll still smooth? Can you get Scramble or Moon Patrol to scroll smoothly with any of those LCDs?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2011, 05:48:12 pm »
In that case it only "requests", it does not "perform" it by itself, and I apperantly have external control over it by changing video driver settings. I told you exactly what, how and why. It is not "some" hardware option, I was very specific that it is "WAIT FOR VERTICAL REFRESH" settings, which everyone should know is a part of general video driver configuration and has nothing to do with dxdiag or DiractDraw acceleration.

a.) Always Off
b.) Off, unless application specifies
c.) On, unless application specifies
d.) Always On

Does this look familiar? Do you know what I am talking about now?

In normal conditions, the inability to achieve vsync in ddraw based apps is caused by hardware acceleration being disabled for the ddraw part, that's why I pointed that, trying to help you.

If you're playing with the driver vsync options, which override the normal expected behaviour, then it's normal that you are getting unpredictable results. I don't have a clue of which system you're using, which video card, drivers version as you won't tell us. Those options are force brute features that are there to help the average 3d gamer override the way that each particular game deals with vertical synchronization. You know, I never install any video driver control panel, I hate the way they get in the middle of things, I always use the Windows native options for things like managing multiple monitors, etc.

"Perform", "request"... obviously I'm using the DirectX API provided by Windows for accessing the hardware, can't read the hardware ports any more as in the DOS days:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg426188%28VS.85%29.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg426159%28VS.85%29.aspx

Interesting indeed. How is that even possible, what's the purpose? 

How can GPU decide to override initialization and deceive you like that?

Why would GPU do such thing for LCD, why would it care, how could it know?

GPU has nothing to do here. The drivers are doing that for some reason, I think they are getting the default supported resolutions from the monitor's EDID and using them.

It sounds like you are describing a simple BUG, but instead of to realize 'software problem' you are blaming it on some supposed heinously useless "feature" built in video adapter itself. Although, basically, you seem to be confirming software can not be trusted since the hardware will do its own thing independently, secretly and regardless anyway, is that what you're saying?

Hardware only does what software says. Drivers are software. Drivers can be badly written, or have bugs, or annoying limitations as the infamous custom video mode limit, or be much like a black box, that's why I study them to make sure I get consistent results.

And no, I'm not talking of a bug, it's something that's actually there for some reason.

Recognize? PowerStrip MAKES it happen by doing hardware INITIALIZATION, which is why you can see the picture go out of sync if you enable "Real-time adjustment" in advanced timing options and change parameters randomly, wouldn't you agree? In contrast there is nothing in DirectX API to help you set up or control custom resolutions and refresh rates, so what PowerStrip does is not sending "requests" via API and Windows drivers, but it actually pokes video hardware registers quite directly, and that's not "recognizing" that's "initializing", isn't that right? So, the point again seem to be how software can not be trusted since the hardware will do its own thing independently, secretly and regardless anyway, is that what you're saying?

Negative. Video mode initialization is still performed by the video driver, Powerstrip then intercepts the process and feeds the hardware ports with its own custom timings. But the bulk of the process is done by the video driver. That's why Powerstrip needs you to restart the system when you create a new video mode, because it uses the same general driver methods of enabling custom modes that i.e. Soft-15Khz.

I did set up custom timings, like 75.8Hz, and everything is still smooth with both your test program and JudderTest, only this time your application reports 60.2 instead of 60.9 fps. I want to underline none of those tricks with forcing "wait for vertical refresh" in video hardware driver settings actually work with MAME, I can't get Scramble or Moon Patrol to scroll smoothly even if I force 60fps and no matter whatever else I try. -- So, did you actually manage to get correct timing reported by your software @ 77 Hz with ANY of your computers, at all? Was scroll still smooth? Can you get Scramble or Moon Patrol to scroll smoothly with any of those LCDs?

What I do is to apply the custom timings directly to the monitor's native res, so I tweak 1280x800 to have any custom refresh I want, i.e. 57.55 Hz for donpachi. Then I run Mame with -noswitchres -video d3d -syncrefresh options.
Steps to create a log:

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2011, 10:40:33 am »
In normal conditions, the inability to achieve vsync in ddraw based apps is caused by hardware acceleration being disabled for the ddraw part, that's why I pointed that, trying to help you.

That's not "normal" condition, that's "SLOW COMPUTER" type of condition, and the test demonstrated my computer is fast enough. The case we are talking about clearly has nothing to do with ddraw settings and hardware acceleration, it is about WAITING for vertical refresh.

In 'normal conditions' different people will have different option enabled in those settings, they will also have different hardware and different drivers, while different programs will use different APIs, and some of those combinations will even behave differently with the same settings.

If you're playing with the driver vsync options, which override the normal expected behaviour, then it's normal that you are getting unpredictable results.

There is no "normal expected behavior", that's exactly why those OPTIONS are there, it's about USER CHOICE, and also to remedy the problem I mentioned above, which means to FORCE one behavior, or the other, despite all the possible conflicts between incompetent API, inadequate drivers and dumb video adapter. Therefore, and becasue of it, I actually can get very predictable results, as I described previously:

a.) wait for vertical refresh ON = application returns the same fps, as drawing is locked to vsync (60.9 fps)
b.) wait for vertical refresh OFF = application goes for maximum fps, so the result slightly varies (124+ fps)

I don't have a clue of which system you're using, which video card, drivers version as you won't tell us.

I will tell you everything you want to know, just ask me, at least once.

>> DELL Inspiron 1501 with WinXP and ATI Xpress 1150 (ver. 8.351.0.0)

The computer is fast enough, what is it you suspect? One of the first things I told you is how different hardware, different drivers, different APIs and different configurations and combinations can produce different results, that's why I said I would rather not trust what "software" thinks about any of it, especially if it's using Windows drivers and DirectX API.

Those options are force brute features that are there to help the average 3d gamer override the way that each particular game deals with vertical synchronization. You know, I never install any video driver control panel, I hate the way they get in the middle of things, I always use the Windows native options for things like managing multiple monitors, etc.

It is already in the middle of things. The fact remains those setting are there, whether you ignore it or not, and one of those options is enabled while others disabled, whether you like it or not, and this in turn will ultimately determine how any particular API will behave despite of what programmers intended or failed to facilitate an option for. Do you even know what's your current video driver "wait-vsync" configuration, and what do you think the "default" or "normal" settings should be?

"Perform", "request"... obviously I'm using the DirectX API provided by Windows for accessing the hardware, can't read the hardware ports any more as in the DOS days:

And so, how do you INITIALIZE *custom* resolutions and refresh rates then?

I thought you're using PowerStrip for that. What do you need PowerStrip for?

GPU has nothing to do here. The drivers are doing that for some reason, I think they are getting the default supported resolutions from the monitor's EDID and using them.

Well, if you are using DirectX API then GPU and its Windows driver are like one and the same thing, so the point remains how applications that use DirectX API and Windows drivers have no real control of what is actually going on.

Ok, so that particular deceitful computer of yours is not of any help, but that only opens new questions and undermines validity of the test results, while my original question is rather unrelated and is about whether you *can* get your software to calculate correct frame rate with some refresh above 60, like 75.8 or 77.1 fps with ANY COMPUTER AT ALL, and if scrolling still remains smooth?

Hardware only does what software says. Drivers are software. Drivers can be badly written, or have bugs, or annoying limitations as the infamous custom video mode limit, or be much like a black box, that's why I study them to make sure I get consistent results.

And no, I'm not talking of a bug, it's something that's actually there for some reason.

Your study definitively needs to include "wait for vertical refresh" options in video driver settings, becasue it can override what application (API) may falsely believe is actually going on. -- How can you know what software tells you is not really a software related problem when you just agreed all those software layers are "black box" and even confirmed your own computer produces unreliable and unpredictable results on its own and by itself, while in the same time you have yet no idea why that mysterious feature would even exist and why would suddenly hardware stop obeying what software says?

Negative. Video mode initialization is still performed by the video driver, Powerstrip then intercepts the process and feeds the hardware ports with its own custom timings. But the bulk of the process is done by the video driver. That's why Powerstrip needs you to restart the system when you create a new video mode, because it uses the same general driver methods of enabling custom modes that i.e. Soft-15Khz.

You mean it OVERRIDES "standard" resolutions by DIRECTLY accessing hardware video registers and setting custom timings which is what INITIALIZES video adapter so to make it produce/output "custom" resolutions and refresh rates, like this:

Code: [Select]
#define CRTC_INDEX          0x03d4   
#define H_BLANK_START       0x02
#define H_BLANK_END         0x03
#define H_RETRACE_START     0x04
#define H_RETRACE_END       0x05
#define V_RETRACE_END       0x11

word_out(CRTC_INDEX, H_TOTAL, 0x6b);
    word_out(CRTC_INDEX, H_DISPLAY_END, 0x59);
    word_out(CRTC_INDEX, H_BLANK_START, 0x5a);
    word_out(CRTC_INDEX, H_BLANK_END, 0x8e);
    word_out(CRTC_INDEX, H_RETRACE_START, 0x5e);
    word_out(CRTC_INDEX, H_RETRACE_END, 0x8a);
    word_out(CRTC_INDEX, V_RETRACE_END, 0x8e);

...yes, that's what I think PowerStrip is doing, and the key word here is what you call "feeds the hardware ports", which is what I call DIRECTLY "accessing video registers", and that's also what makes it different from INDIRECTLY requesting such functionality via some API and Windows drivers.

Windows video drivers do not support *custom* resolutions and refresh rates, you actually need to override what they do in order to define your own resolutions, where the real "API" for the task is VGA/VESA specification ("standard") which defines, more or less, basic low-level functionality you can then use to access those video registers directly and thus make your own custom timings, secretly and behind operating system, without any involvement, or even presence, of any video driver at all.

You do not need to restart computer in order to apply custom timings in PowerStrip. If you enable "Real-time adjustment" settings in advanced timing options you can see the changes will happen immediately, in "real-time", with no problem and no need to reboot.

What I do is to apply the custom timings directly to the monitor's native res, so I tweak 1280x800 to have any custom refresh I want, i.e. 57.55 Hz for donpachi. Then I run Mame with -noswitchres -video d3d -syncrefresh options.

You do that with PowerStrip? Can you explain how can you set up arbitrary refresh rate? I can change it, sure, but I am still unable to produce exactly what I want, for example I can't make it do exact 60.00Hz refresh with any resolution. In any case, DoDonPachi seem too "busy" to look at and maybe it's not the best example, especially if you are testing on horizontal monitor and if you did not rotate the game sideways.

Please try Moon Patrol and watch for the letters or left edge of any hole.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2011, 11:43:09 am »

Did you not mean to say "waitvsync" instead of "syncrefresh"?

So, what about waitvsync, frameskip, throttle, refreshspeed and triplebuffer?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2011, 01:03:07 pm »
That's not "normal" condition, that's "SLOW COMPUTER" type of condition, and the test demonstrated my computer is fast enough. The case we are talking about clearly has nothing to do with ddraw settings and hardware acceleration, it is about WAITING for vertical refresh.

In 'normal conditions' different people will have different option enabled in those settings, they will also have different hardware and different drivers, while different programs will use different APIs, and some of those combinations will even behave differently with the same settings.

There is no "normal expected behavior", that's exactly why those OPTIONS are there, it's about USER CHOICE, and also to remedy the problem I mentioned above, which means to FORCE one behavior, or the other, despite all the possible conflicts between incompetent API, inadequate drivers and dumb video adapter. Therefore, and becasue of it, I actually can get very predictable results, as I described previously:

It seems to me I was too subtle in my previous post. Those options are there for the LAMER USER who is unable to make a proper setup of each individual application, or in the best case to be of help when dealing with lousy coded applications.

>> DELL Inspiron 1501 with WinXP and ATI Xpress 1150 (ver. 8.351.0.0)

The computer is fast enough, what is it you suspect? One of the first things I told you is how different hardware, different drivers, different APIs and different configurations and combinations can produce different results, that's why I said I would rather not trust what "software" thinks about any of it, especially if it's using Windows drivers and DirectX API.

I just wanted to discard you were using Windows 7 with some weird video card.

And so, how do you INITIALIZE *custom* resolutions and refresh rates then?

I thought you're using PowerStrip for that. What do you need PowerStrip for?

I use the Catalyst built in methods for doing that, as Soft-15Khz does. Where have you been all this time? Facebook?

Did you see my post with the three tests I did? First one only uses native Catalyst driver method for creating custom modes. Second and third use Powerstrip API to achieve the same results. I'm implementing Powerstrip support for people that use non-ATI cards.

Well, if you are using DirectX API then GPU and its Windows driver are like one and the same thing, so the point remains how applications that use DirectX API and Windows drivers have no real control of what is actually going on.

GPU? Do you have any idea of what a GPU is? (yeah, go for some reading to the wikipedia now).

Ok, so that particular deceitful computer of yours is not of any help, but that only opens new questions and undermines validity of the test results, while my original question is rather unrelated and is about whether you *can* get your software to calculate correct frame rate with some refresh above 60, like 75.8 or 77.1 fps with ANY COMPUTER AT ALL, and if scrolling still remains smooth?

Sure, I'll try that tonight and paste a complete report with pictures and stuff for your interest.

But the actual question here is: are you able at all to set up your system for any custom video timing?

Your study definitively needs to include "wait for vertical refresh" options in video driver settings, becasue it can override what application (API) may falsely believe is actually going on. -- How can you know what software tells you is not really a software related problem when you just agreed all those software layers are "black box" and even confirmed your own computer produces unreliable and unpredictable results on its own and by itself, while in the same time you have yet no idea why that mysterious feature would even exist and why would suddenly hardware stop obeying what software says?

Of course having a software layer in the middle is a problem and means some degree of uncertainty and a lot of work and study to get consistent results. That's an old story.

Wait for vertical refresh (actually v. retrace or blank) is what it is. You won't get different rates by "requesting" it from inside an app or forcing it from the driver options.

My computer does not produce unpredictable results. It's only unpredictable when you don't understand what's going on.

You mean it OVERRIDES "standard" resolutions by DIRECTLY accessing hardware video registers and setting custom timings which is what INITIALIZES video adapter so to make it produce/output "custom" resolutions and refresh rates, like this:

Code: [Select]
#define CRTC_INDEX          0x03d4   
#define H_BLANK_START       0x02
#define H_BLANK_END         0x03
#define H_RETRACE_START     0x04
#define H_RETRACE_END       0x05
#define V_RETRACE_END       0x11

word_out(CRTC_INDEX, H_TOTAL, 0x6b);
    word_out(CRTC_INDEX, H_DISPLAY_END, 0x59);
    word_out(CRTC_INDEX, H_BLANK_START, 0x5a);
    word_out(CRTC_INDEX, H_BLANK_END, 0x8e);
    word_out(CRTC_INDEX, H_RETRACE_START, 0x5e);
    word_out(CRTC_INDEX, H_RETRACE_END, 0x8a);
    word_out(CRTC_INDEX, V_RETRACE_END, 0x8e);

...yes, that's what I think PowerStrip is doing, and the key word here is what you call "feeds the hardware ports", which is what I call DIRECTLY "accessing video registers", and that's also what makes it different from INDIRECTLY requesting such functionality via some API and Windows drivers.

You'll know that programming the CRTC is just one part of the process of initializing a video mode.

Windows video drivers do not support *custom* resolutions and refresh rates,

Then GroovyMame users must be under the effects of LSD.

you actually need to override what they do in order to define your own resolutions, where the real "API" for the task is VGA/VESA specification ("standard") which defines, more or less, basic low-level functionality you can then use to access those video registers directly and thus make your own custom timings, secretly and behind operating system, without any involvement, or even presence, of any video driver at all.

I know what VESA is, I used to code in assembly during the 90's, VESA modes, bank switching, yeah, in those days we used to *perform* our own wait for vertical retrace by listening to the hardware registers.

You do not need to restart computer in order to apply custom timings in PowerStrip. If you enable "Real-time adjustment" settings in advanced timing options you can see the changes will happen immediately, in "real-time", with no problem and no need to reboot.

Really? Even I can do "real-time adjustment" using Arcade_OSD and Catalyst without any Powerstrip at all.

But in order to define a *new* video mode and make it available for applications in the Windows system, you need to restart. The World would be a better place if this was different.

You do that with PowerStrip? Can you explain how can you set up arbitrary refresh rate? I can change it, sure, but I am still unable to produce exactly what I want, for example I can't make it do exact 60.00Hz refresh with any resolution.

HINT: dotclock granularity (search the Powerstrip forum)

Hey torino, I'm done.

YOU WIN

There's some additional inaccuracy in your statements that I could refute but honestly I'm tired and wouldn't be worth the effort as we would never reach an agreement. It's obvious that you have some good concepts floating in your head but there's a lot of smoke in the middle. I can't waste my energies with your personality development.

Steps to create a log:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2011, 03:34:53 pm »
i like where this thread is going!

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2011, 08:04:32 pm »
Another thread destroyed, well done mate.  :applaud:

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2011, 10:43:58 am »
It seems to me I was too subtle in my previous post. Those options are there for the LAMER USER who is unable to make a proper setup of each individual application, or in the best case to be of help when dealing with lousy coded applications.

The fact remains those options are there, and they can override application request to wait for vertical refresh.

I use the Catalyst built in methods for doing that, as Soft-15Khz does. Where have you been all this time? Facebook?

"Catalyst built in methods"? I can't find any info about it, can you be more specific please?

Can you show us few lines of code where I can see those "methods" you are talking about?

GPU? Do you have any idea of what a GPU is? (yeah, go for some reading to the wikipedia now).

GPU = graphics processing unit. What's confusing you?

Sure, I'll try that tonight and paste a complete report with pictures and stuff for your interest.

I am only helping you troubleshot your program, I don't mind if you choose to ignore your bugs.

But the actual question here is: are you able at all to set up your system for any custom video timing?

Yes, and your software calculates 60.2 fps when PowerStrip says it is 75.8 Hz, how is that possible?

I did additional tests as you suggested, I'm testing your program, how come you do not appreciate it?

Wait for vertical refresh (actually v. retrace or blank) is what it is. You won't get different rates by "requesting" it from inside an app or forcing it from the driver options.

I am talking about different FPS, which is what your application is measuring. You understand there is a difference? Output frame rate is that of initialized adapter resolution, but application *fps* count may not be the same and there will be TEARING instead of possible judder if "wait for vsync" is disabled either by application OR externally in driver settings. Ok?

My computer does not produce unpredictable results. It's only unpredictable when you don't understand what's going on.

You have not even attempted to explain it yet, and you sounded pretty surprised when your hardware failed to follow your orders and decided to "emulate" different resolutions on its own and by itself. The rise of the machines!

You said:
- I noticed that regardless the full screen resolution I set with Arcade_OSD, it always read the same values for xres, yres

- It turns out that different resolutions are emulated!

You call that predictable, you understand why it happens, and you will tell us about it eventually, or not?

Really? Even I can do "real-time adjustment" using Arcade_OSD and Catalyst without any Powerstrip at all.

Sorry, that does not work on my computer. I am just asking questions, why are you emotional about it?

Can you please tell us how do you initialize custom timings, just show me few lines of source code, ok?

HINT: dotclock granularity (search the Powerstrip forum)

Ay, caramba! You don't know it either, I can read your mind!

Being mysterious is not helping explain and validate your claims.

Hey torino, I'm done.

YOU WIN

You are left with bugs and dubious claims, while I wasted time and learned almost nothing new.

We all lose, my human friend.

There's some additional inaccuracy in your statements that I could refute but honestly I'm tired and wouldn't be worth the effort as we would never reach an agreement. It's obvious that you have some good concepts floating in your head but there's a lot of smoke in the middle. I can't waste my energies with your personality development.

In that case I can not help you prove your claims or troubleshoot your program anymore, I am sorry.

Hey torino, please don't be so delicate, we're debating aren't we?

Your future-self had enough. Toughen up and come back when you ready, Silk-girl!

Fluff off now, go back to feathery clouds, and stay out of the rain, my silky sugar-fluff.  :P

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2011, 11:50:24 am »
okay, i found it... this is or is not the part of the monitor that makes all or some of the magics happen.
It does both or more or less the jobs if not more or less with about 100.01% efficiency.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 10:48:49 am
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2012, 02:53:43 am »
I am very sad this was never resolved. Though, I had a great time reading through it.

I don't know near enough about this sort of thing to understand most of this but here was what I got out of it:
torino was able to get his LCD to preform tests well at variable sync rates. However, he was not able to get any of his actual games to scroll smoothly.

This leaves me with the obvious question:
Has anyone been able to get an LCD to run games through MAME at varying sync rates?

Thanks,
 - Mike

EDIT:
Also, on the Wells Gardner website, it gives the following specs for their WGF2679-SSAS25H monitor:
Resolution: 15-70KHZ CGA/EGA/VGA

15-70KHZ? Can it be?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:08:43 am by yo1dog »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2012, 06:25:19 am »
I am very sad this was never resolved. Though, I had a great time reading through it.

I don't know near enough about this sort of thing to understand most of this but here was what I got out of it:
torino was able to get his LCD to preform tests well at variable sync rates. However, he was not able to get any of his actual games to scroll smoothly.

This leaves me with the obvious question:
Has anyone been able to get an LCD to run games through MAME at varying sync rates?

Thanks,
 - Mike

EDIT:
Also, on the Wells Gardner website, it gives the following specs for their WGF2679-SSAS25H monitor:
Resolution: 15-70KHZ CGA/EGA/VGA

15-70KHZ? Can it be?

The sad thing about this is that it was actually resolved  ;D

Steps to create a log:

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2012, 01:55:34 pm »
Well, Has anyone been able to get an LCD to run games through MAME at varying sync rates? Can the 9200 display games correctly and smoothly at 15mhz?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2012, 02:26:54 pm »
Well, Has anyone been able to get an LCD to run games through MAME at varying sync rates?

Sure, but it fully depends on the LCD model, and you can't know it beforehand.

Can the 9200 display games correctly and smoothly at 15mhz?

At least the D9000 can, check this thread:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112462.0
Steps to create a log:

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2012, 04:13:21 pm »
Very cool. Thanks for all the good info.

I am now stuck between Mak High-Res and WG 9000.

I am gearing towards Mak because of the 4:3 ratio (yes I know I can display in 4:3 on the WG with black bars). As far as I can tell both monitors will give me about the same quality picture. And yes, I am taking into account the obvious advantages of a LCD vs CRT.

Your thoughts?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2012, 11:10:10 am »
My thoughts? Go for the CRT, always go for the CRT.

I mean, it's great for the hobby that some LCDs can do custom refresh rates, and it would be even better to have a list of them.

HLSL is cool, people will tell you they're so much satisfied with it, but... if I really could choose and had some very basic skills, I'd just go for the real thing.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:27:55 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2012, 12:23:29 pm »
Sounds good to me. I am gonna drive over to Betson's Dallas distributor (I am lucky enough to live 5 mins away) and pickup a Mak High-Res.

Thanks again for the help!