Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ms. Pac-Man thrift store find $90... First time restore.  (Read 4080 times)

DarakuTenshi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2022, 11:39:46 am
    • Card Fighters Project
Ms. Pac-Man thrift store find $90... First time restore.
« on: March 14, 2014, 12:47:00 am »
I finally got my hands on a Ms. Pac machine. A steal for only $90 from a thrift store. Anyway it's in fairly good condition, but the screen doesn't work at all. I've gotten the board working so it should only now be another $130 for the monitor.

I want to use all paint and not use vinyl decals for the art.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:18:50 am by DarakuTenshi »
My past arcade builds - Click to enlarge and get a closer look

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
Re: Ms. Pac-Man ... First time restore.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 07:48:37 pm »
Why not fix the monitor too?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:39:06 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:14:42 pm »
pix or it didnt happen! :)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

JimmyU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2024, 11:35:59 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:16:45 pm »
Man, I want to go to that thrift store!

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 12:31:17 pm »
Sorry, I posted it using my iPad and found out that the image host that I used to use started charging... and I couldn't figure out how to post on another free image host.

Anyway, I will be fixing the monitor as well but with shipping for parts and such it may cost up to $130 or so.

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 09:43:42 pm »
Nice score! That's a great price!

nitz

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2015, 07:57:29 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 11:48:25 pm »
See, now this just makes me wanna cry...where I live, even with a dead monitor, a Ms. Pac in that good of shape would easily go for ~$700. You'd NEVER see it on sale for $90.

Very nice score.

I want to use all paint and not use vinyl decals for the art.

Other than being faded, the art looks pretty good. I'd probably just leave it as is because I don't like painting and I kinda like cabs that look like they've been on location for awhile. But I guess if you want a project and like the idea of that art looking pristine, go for it!  :cheers:

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 08:47:46 am »
Yeah the right side is not too bad, the left is worse as is the kick plate. I should have taken a close up pick of the bezel.... That thing is really bad. But I found a nice replacement already.

shawn28341

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2014, 10:33:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Ms. Pac-Man thrift store find $90... First time restore.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 06:00:37 pm »
Good luck with your find.. I have $300 in my Ms. Pacman project total. And 9 hours of hand painting. But enjoyed every minute of it.. If you need any paint codes I have spot on colors.. If there is a Lowes near by it was only $7 for all three colors and was enough to do the entire machine.. On mine Ms.pacman was entirely gone on the kick plate front of the machine..so at a better start than I was..
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:41:12 pm by shawn28341 »

Automark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2023, 03:55:08 pm
  • Arcade in Spain ?
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 05:19:13 pm »
man, these machines sell here in europe for $ 1300,- (1000 euros)  :cry:

I want one too  ;D

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 12:01:05 pm »
Hey Shawn, I'll send you a PM about this as well just in case you don't see this message, but would like you to answer here for others who are needing the information.

I would like those paint codes... Lowe's is right down the street from me and that's who I normally use for my building needs. Anyway do you find it nicer to do the hand painting rather than using a mask?

I was thinking about buying the mask and then spraying the color onto the cabinet. I have lots of damage on the cab that I'm going to have to bondo and sand before I can paint. Right now I'm dealing with getting the monitor repaired. The neck board snapped and is being fixed before I move any further. Also I was thinking about putting the pink joystick on this things along with the pink t-molding.

shawn28341

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 11:54:06 pm »
Alright, I'm going to give all the steps that I found that really worked on me restoring my Ms. Pacman machine. Takes some work, but by golly she deserves it.. If she don't than NO game does in my opinion..  OK, 1st- check out the bottom on the machine. The wood has a tendency to chip off or crack on the sides. Sand it smooth or take weak breaks out. Then fill it in. A lot of the machines had holes drilled in the front to put a bar in it to protect from being broke into. Mine had the holes still. After all the filling was done. This next step really helped out a lot.  I would put it second actually. Would be get a good wet soapy Brillo pad and scrub all the scuff marks on the side of the machine no matter where it is located at. Especially the yellow parts. And usually at the foot part of the machine where ms. Pacman is on front. Mine had all but been scratched and scuffed up. The Brillo pad really helped here. I didn't care if the paint was getting faded while doing the cleaning as long as unwanted scuffs were getting gone. I personally like Ms. pacman to be factory as possible. But when I painted the black on the inside at the glass and monitor surroundings, I liked the glossy black better. The game actually reflects itself in the black. A small thing but worked well against the satin paint colors.  3rd-  I'd suggest going to Lowes as the paint department. But may be able to find another place that will sell you this size paint. Each color was 7.12 oz sample sizes. They all were Olympic premium satin paint.  I wouldn't order any more paint than that. I personally bought one yellow, one pink and two blue thinking it would take more. I did the entire machine in less than 1/2 of the bottles of any color. Probably closer to 1/4.  (The blue is called 2-B-4 Pacifica) Perfect match and real easy to spread. Be sure to paint the back of the machine as well, looks factory clean. ( The pink is called 30RR Passion Flower)  looks different wet than dry. Would suggest several coats after it dries.( The yellow is called 37YY Sunny Side Up )  This is the hardest color to spread. It spreads thin. So really helps to have all marks or scuffs cleared on the machine in these areas .  I bought sponge brushes to paint every color on. But took the sticks out and just sponged all colors. The blue was done really quick. And machine already looked 100% better. Then I did the pink color several times to make it look dark and rich.  The yellow is THE pain in the butt. When going on it looked like wet thin mustard. It looked like a bunch of dabbed mustard on the machine. And took as many coats as you feel it takes. But dried very good. Now when all the colors looked about like they supposed to. I took a few fat sharpies and a very steady hand and redrew the outline of everything. Seperating all the colors. I also painted the trim black and cleaned it up. I had a total of 9 hours hand painting my machine and loved every second of it. I wish I took a picture of it before I started it. I have 12 arcade games in my house. All are classics in their on way. All special to me, as a kid reminding me of my childhood or even the way I obtained them and the stories that go with getting them home. But none is any more special to me than Ms. Pacman.. She will always be in my collection. Sorry so long and some here were just probably looking paint codes. But really I believe the techniques I shared will help you get a real nice result on this particular machine. It's the prettiest one 1 have seen in many many years.  And the entire paint cost me a grand total of $7.. What's better than that? :0)

shawn28341

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 12:30:45 am »
I figured that I had enough paint left over after painting the machine to do some more painting. I painted the stools with it. I painted the ceiling pans with markets not with that paint. 3 hours of painting. And the green counter in the blue room is the beginning of my soon to be arcade to house most of my machines and air hockey table. The green counter top was actually a walk in closet and the entire room was that color green. But it's getting there.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 09:12:55 am »
Thank you so much... that was some great information. And I like what you did with the leftovers. ;D

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:21:48 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 09:54:00 am »
You'll never regret owning weird colored paint.  My wife repainted a Suspense machine about 10 years ago and I've been carrying those cans around ever since.  You'd be amazed how many things really, really needed a coat of lime green and purple paint.

shawn28341

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 01:07:22 pm »
Dude, you already have a lot of good things going for you on your machine. The control panel looks great and the marquee has been newly replaced.  If it was original the pink would be about the color orange. Comes from being bleached and cooked by light over 30 years. Get that monitor replaced, I'd stay away from LCD on this one.  I think everyone here would suggest that on this site about this game. Give her the respect that she deserves. The paint will be the easy part.  I took a picture of the paint containers maybe to help you out, so you'd know what they looked like. I will also say when doing the yellow paint I wouldn't do the marker outlines until it was getting close to desired results. Maybe needing just slight touchups. The yellow will show outlines fine .