Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: (UK BASED) A decent filler for holes in MDF?  (Read 14534 times)

Rusty Shackelford

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2013, 02:02:09 pm
(UK BASED) A decent filler for holes in MDF?
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:24:31 am »
I read somewhere that normal wall type filler is no good for our hobby as it is water based and will expand and contract when dry thus be visible through any paint.

I was thinking of using car body filler ( from Halfords).

All the recomended products Ive found are in threads from the US ( no Home Depot in the Midlands!)

What do you guys use? or any suggestions

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
Re: (UK BASED) A decent filler for holes in MDF?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:20:58 am »
I have had good results with [this] Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler.

A chemically bonded filler and catalyst that provides extremely tough repairs to virtually any wood damage without shrinking or cracking. Fills to any depth and can be drilled, screwed or planed. For interior and exterior use.

Overfill your holes and leave to dry. Once its set sand it flush with the material using a power sander with a large flat pad or a sanding block/some sandpaper wrapped around a piece of MDF or something to keep it flat.

I'm not sure what it is like for painting over though but I imagine that if you prime the material well you should have no problems.

Chadwick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2010, 03:23:34 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:18:52 pm »
I wouldn't use standard drywall mud for reasons you stated, but the vinyl spackle works just fine and tends to not shrink / fisheye like regular mud does.  Just overfill like Franco said and you shouldn't have a problem.  It's cheap compared to fancy fillers too.

Of course, everything I've said is dependent on the size of the hole(s) in question.  Anything larger than a screw head and you'll probably want to use something like Bondo.

Rusty Shackelford

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:24:49 am »
I wouldn't use standard drywall mud for reasons you stated, but the vinyl spackle works just fine and tends to not shrink / fisheye like regular mud does.  Just overfill like Franco said and you shouldn't have a problem.  It's cheap compared to fancy fillers too.

Of course, everything I've said is dependent on the size of the hole(s) in question.  Anything larger than a screw head and you'll probably want to use something like Bondo.

Can you get this Bondo stuff in the UK then? Ive looked but to no avail.

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:23:09 am »
I've used that Ronseal filler to fill 28mm x 12mm deep holes with perfect results. If it can fill that I'm sure it will fill anything.

Rusty Shackelford

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 04:16:18 pm »
I've used that Ronseal filler to fill 28mm x 12mm deep holes with perfect results. If it can fill that I'm sure it will fill anything.

Thanks thats reasuring to know! I was just worried about it being visible thru paint. But like you say if you do a descent job on the sanding/priming it should be ok.

saleem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 06:18:42 pm »
more often than not,you will put filler on,sand then prime,you will most likely see places where more filler is needed,its one of the easiest ways to see where you missed parts or needed more,so you are more likely gonna end up filling parts/places after you prime.just a case of being patient,woodfiller,sand,prime,woodfiller,sand,prime until you eventualy get that finish you were after.

i been using EVERBUILD brand from uriah woodheads near me.i used it on one project where i had removed the coin door and the cash box door and boarded,it came out proper nice.unless you look inside the cab you wouldnt have known there was ever doors there in first place.

am woodfilling and sanding a bartop i am making out of mdf and it seems to be coming along,just a case of sanding then applying more again if needed .
:)

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 07:34:59 pm »
That's the good thing about the filler I suggested, it doesn't shrink or expand.

Avinitlarge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2020, 04:39:08 pm
    • iPhone For Free
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 01:14:03 pm »
P38 car body filler does the trick. Its cheap, Strong and easy to sand.