Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: <Insert name here> Project  (Read 3221 times)

FranckKnight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2009, 02:20:05 am
<Insert name here> Project
« on: September 15, 2009, 12:18:00 am »
Some people might have seen similar topics on other forums, but this one looks like the most active right now  ;D

So I'm a new guy to the arcade modding/making, so here's a bit of backstory.

I recently upgraded my computer parts on my gaming rig, but the older parts were still very good. We're talking 1.8ghz dual core, 1gb RAM and NVidia 7300gt. I wanted better for play my games, and already have too many computers on this workstation. So then I had a flash. A Mame machine! Well not just Mame, I want it to run just about every emulator to make it into a perfect Retro-Machine.

So it seems like a fun project to do as well. About a month ago I started to hunt down a few parts to start the project, ordered some more, and was looking into plans to build one from scratch. That's until I found on local ads a cheap Asteroid machine without a monitor or motherboard. That's perfect, much cheaper than making one myself, probably more sturdy but I'm aware I'll probably need to work on the paint. I think it has the coin door too, but dunno about the mech inside. Either way, I'm still debating many finer points like using the coin door for coinage, and control panel setup, because I have some ideas about it too.

The first part and major that comes to mind : The control panel. There's still several things I'll need to debate and ask around for opinions before I start it up. I don't have the cabinet yet, so it's the biggest thing on the list, planning.

-7 or 8 buttons. Being more than just MAME, I wanted to make it into 8 buttons (7 button NeoGeo layout, +1 near the bottom one). That's because I also want it to run PS1 games, and PS1 has 8 functionnal buttons. Yet, there's also the point that it's probably only going to run games that could make better use of an arcade layout. Street Fighter for example has only need for 6 buttons, the last 2 are combo buttons (like 3 punches).

-Also to consider that I want it to be 4 players, so I won't kick myself later for not making it from the start if it ever comes down to it. Plus certain games are 'player dependant', like Simpsons that locks the characters to a certain player. It doesn't really change the gameplay, but it's nice to get to pick your favorite too. Re-mapping a controller just to get to be Player 4 for once is a hassle, plus certain games for NES/SNES and PS1 can use 4 players as well.

-Slide out and hook up to another system. That was the prime idea at first. Make a control panel that I could slide in the arcade cabinet, or slide out and hook up to another console (like PS3 or XBOX). Of course, only for games that could use the button layout once again (Street Fighter 4 and Soul Calibur comes to mind). I already know how to do that, thanks to another project ( http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=90072.new;topicseen#new ). Basically, DB15 ports hook up to an IPac4 inside of the cabinet, and smaller boxes with the innards of controllers (got the same MadCatz ones that he used too) hooks to the same DB15 ports to link to the game console. It's not hard in theory, but making it slide in and out will be the biggest challenge here.

Why not hook an Xbox inside of the cabinet instead? I have a 40in HDTV, it would be a shame to run int through a non-widescreen lower quality screen :P Plus it only really needs to get two players to work normally, and not all games would use the control panel obviously. So I want it to sit on my lap in front of the TV when I want to. There's some mods out there that are alot more impressive!

I also need to find an interesting name for the machine itself, I guess. Just slapping a generic marquee and artwork sounds a bit dull. I was thinking of the same name I used for a private WoW server I got running for fun, Trinity. What do you think?

Either way, I'm updating my blog daily with info as well, but I'll definitely be posting here if people show a bit of interest in other projects.

Blog at http://fk-nantonaku.blogspot.com/. Cya around  :applaud:

GaryMcT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2014, 11:19:27 am
    • GaryMcT's arcade blog
Re: <Insert name here> Project
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:29:02 am »
Unless the Asteroids cab is utterly destroyed, you are likely to get some flack for converting a classic, especially if you refinish it, etc.
My blog on learning how to develop FPGA versions of arcade boards: http://garymct.blogspot.com

FranckKnight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:46:17 am »
I don't know the state of the machine yet. All I know is that it was advertised as an empty cabinet, it was already stripped of monitor and board. I'll post pictures up once I get the machine. Nothing has been decided on, I wanted to wait to get the cabinet first for measures and what not.

FranckKnight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 07:53:20 pm »
Alright, so the Asteroid cabinet is already sold, so I got to pick a new one. I'm getting it tomorrow too, so I'll have more pics ready, but here's the one he sent me :

I'm not buff in arcade lore, but I'm not sure this is the original cabinet for Street Fighter 2. It does have the marquee though, but the control panel looks bland, and I dunno about the colors of the cabinet itself. Maybe someone else can analyze this.

One thing is sure, I'll need to work on the paint and clean up the monitor area. As a note, there's no screen, board or coin mech inside from the looks of it. It doesn't look like there's much chipped wood either so that's good.

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:43:34 pm »
Chipped wood isn't an issue as it can be filled; water damage however can really kill a machine, so check for signs of damp or moisture exposure (ie. swollen areas or bubbling paint.)

FranckKnight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 09:15:37 pm »
Alright, so I got the cabinet today. It's pretty dirty. But I took some pictures first before cleaning some of it up.

First up, the marquee and monitor. The plexi over them looks good, just minor scratches that I'd probably do worse by making it myself. I'll need to change the bezel obviously to fit the new monitor.

A shot from the side. It looks like this model was made similar to the Ultimate Arcade design, with the top separate from the bottom. After looking around for screws, I got the feeling that I need to take off the top to get inside, because there's nothing outside of a cover panel in the back (behind the monitor, not the bottom), and the big black bolts you see on the side.

A shot with the cover opened. You can see there's some power bloc there, but the cord been severed, so it's useless. One of the wood pieces to screw the cover in is splintered as well. Also, stickers on the cover. Atari stickers, for a Street Fighter II machine. Right. I think this was some refurbishing with spare parts alright.

The coindoor is in good shape, but I think it's missing the coin recognition mech. The quarter I tested only hits the switch randomly, and nothing redirects it to the coin return door. I was debating using the coin door for the coin, but I think I can just daisy chain it to the control panel buttons, so that both would work as well.

There's also a huge metal bar that locks up the coin door. I guess they needed the extra security.

As for the damage, there's a few scratches over it, nothing too deep. There's a few chips along the bottom and the front near the control panel. But the worse part is that there's obvious moisture damage. Bubbling paint on the bottom part (near the back on the sides). The moldings near the control panel don't fit anymore either, the wood part has become larger.

The rest of the unit is passable. The biggest chip is in one of the pictures here, next to the control panel.

I wanted to take a shortcut and buy an empty cabinet, but looking at this, it might have been better to go with the original plan of building from ground up. Live and learn as they say, it is my first project, and I never did any kind of woodwork or handywork before. It's a good learning experience.

I need to read up on how to reduce the water damage and fill up the chips.

FranckKnight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 02:11:11 pm »
Urg, I'm starting to think this cabinet won't work at all.

It looks alright, but there's too many things that seems to be wrong about it.

For one thing, I can't take it apart. There's 4 screws on each side that keeps the top section on. But once out, it still doesn't move. There's some sort of wood chips inserted into screw holes to keep things steady, but I can't pry the thing apart at all. Not even a millimeter.

So I was thinking that the top panels might be holding the thing together. Inside there was 4 screws on each side holding a small board up (not sure what it was there for either), screwing L-elbows in each side. Those off, the small board won't come off. Not at all, not a millimeter again.

Wanted to take a look from the front and unscrewed the lightbulb panel. Two simple screws. And yes, NOTHING, no screws.

Did the people that build this cabinet just hot-glue everything together? Is there even a way to undo hot glue? There's no visible screws anywhere from any side. At this point I'm just thinking about scrapping the thing and going with the ground up method instead.

FranckKnight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 07:02:02 pm »
Not much more to say, guess that's the last of this particular topic.

Given that the wood is in bad shape, I simply don't want to work on this cabinet. It wouldn't be satisfactory.

So current plan is to use this cabinet as a first draft more or less. I'll put in the monitor and PC, just saw out the back of the cabinet to access inside, and have it work without a paint job or anything. No use taking time to work on something that I'll want to scrap once the better one is up.

I can still use some parts from it, like the coin door, so it's not a complete loss. I'll just leave the SF2 -2 player -6 buttons layout as it is right now and wire it up as practice for the real thing later. The PC is pretty much ready anyway.

Meanwhile I'll plan out on building it from scratch, wood work and what not. I'll be back then, and will be lurking meanwhile. Sorry for wasting the time of people on this board with a rather useless project. I'm not terribly happy with the results either.

Cya all around.