Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ghostbusters Arcade Cabinet Restoration  (Read 4390 times)

tib0lt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2013, 02:06:22 am
Ghostbusters Arcade Cabinet Restoration
« on: August 30, 2009, 11:48:04 pm »
Hey all. this is my first box. i picked up a used one from my brother because he was moving and his wife made him give it away.

Anyways i started working on it 6 days ago and have done more sanding than i would have ever wanted too lol, but the it looks great now i got up to 1500 grit and i can see reflections in the wood with out a finish yet.

Heres how far i am

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/tib0lt/P1000432.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/tib0lt/P1000437.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/tib0lt/P1000439.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/tib0lt/P1000449.jpg
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:26:01 pm by tib0lt »

Vebbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 01:35:18 pm
    • Overaged Lucky Drivers
Re: My Project i started 6 days ago
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:30:54 am »
Looks great tib0lt, is that a 24" lcd?
Vebbo
I was elected to lead, not to read!

Vebbo turning x-men cab to custom 1942 cab

tib0lt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:33:03 am »
yes it is, i was alittle worried when i went to go pick it up but it ended up fitting perfectly :D

tib0lt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:33:04 am »
ive been staining this sucker for 4 or 5 days now... funny thing is i used to high of a sandpaper grit (1500) and blocked off the pours of the wood so it wouldnt stain. so i had to go down to 320 to see any real improvement and lost its nice shine and will have to resand again later

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:08:12 pm »
You've made a lot of progress in a short amount of time!

I'm sure I'm just missing something, but I have to say I don't "get" the whole keyboard setup.  Is the keyboard really going to displayed like that?  And if so, I'm not sure I understand the logic of having the keyboard behind the glass? 

The control layout is also interesting.  I assume you tested it and it's comfortable for you...
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

tib0lt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:38:34 pm »
before i placed the keyboard were it was i used a blank piece of wood and thought it looked aweful by itself and felt that something should have been there. so i decided to put a keyboard there incase i wanted to surf the web or use it for administrative purposes. as well, this arcade box is more for parties and poker tournies more than myself. so i would like people to not be able to touch the keyboard. i guess i could have used a wireless keyboard and put an emblem on the wood were the keyboard is... hmm

anyways i felt i had to make the control panel set up that way because the trackball is soooo big and didn't fell that it was to uncomftable and just needed alittle time to get used to ounce its set up

tib0lt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 12:09:32 pm »
update

commin along...

admin and coin buttons on top of cabinet:

Layout for control panel and marque:

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
Re: Ghostbusters Arcade Cabinet Restoration
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 02:06:36 pm »
 :o  Awesome artwork! Maybe you should think about raising the Ghostbuster logo, it'll be a shame to drill holes through the face of the ghost.

Will definitely keep an eye on this one.

:cheers:

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 06:41:34 am »
before i placed the keyboard were it was i used a blank piece of wood and thought it looked aweful by itself and felt that something should have been there. so i decided to put a keyboard there incase i wanted to surf the web or use it for administrative purposes. as well, this arcade box is more for parties and poker tournies more than myself. so i would like people to not be able to touch the keyboard. i guess i could have used a wireless keyboard and put an emblem on the wood were the keyboard is... hmm

anyways i felt i had to make the control panel set up that way because the trackball is soooo big and didn't fell that it was to uncomftable and just needed alittle time to get used to ounce its set up

So I'm still confused. How do you access the keyboard?
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 05:24:35 pm »
New control panel looks good.  Seems much better ergonomically too.

Interesting design decision to put the coin button on top of the cab.  Seems like that might get annoying in the midst of a game for your guests to have to feel around up there to insert another coin?

Also, as I mentioned on the artwork forum, the art is looking good, but you may want to back off the transparency just a bit on the marquee lettering.  Looks like it says "GHOSTBUS ERS THE VIDEO"
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

tib0lt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 07:10:30 pm »
btw thank you all for your feed back i really appriciate it!!!

fixed a few things

involving the keyboard. i plan on making a piece of wood that will go over it and i might add a picture to it, idk yet. its really there for when i want to surf the web or need to do admin work on it. i know its kind of dumb to put it behind the glass, but i really dont want random people during parties and poker tournies messing around behind hyperspin and on that computer. when i do use it i will just take the glass off and use it (i don't plan on doing this very often if at all i just thought it was a cool idea). i could have used a wireless keyboard but thought the dedicated keyboard inplace like that was a good look

tib0lt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 12:42:03 am »

i love the control panel, however i feel that the center doesnt meld correctly with the trackball. idk maybe its because i know i have a white track ball and really should replace it with an orange led one... any suggestions to fix it so i don't have to upgrade to an orange?

tib0lt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 01:01:37 am »
two years after finishing my cabinet i wanted to modernize it. soo after this is three days of work.

tib0lt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 01:04:34 am »
a few more

tib0lt

• Offline Offline