Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Remapping 'Escape' on minipac  (Read 2376 times)

smalltownguy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
Remapping 'Escape' on minipac
« on: August 23, 2009, 08:35:19 am »
Ok, I've had enough. Last night my friend and I were all the way through Double Dragon on 2 player on only our 3rd credit, and were battling Machine Gun Willie. Wouldn't you know it, we both died at the same time, and each pressed our 'player start' buttons at the same time.

** BAM **

Back to my front end.  :hissy: :angry:

Same thing happpened a few weeks ago when my wife and I were playing Bubble Bobble, and we were in the 60's for boards, I think. *grrrr*

So, I'm going to be remapping my escape to somewhere else on the cab. Can you folks share what you've done to make your escape a bit less dangerously located? I know my minipac has a few free inputs yet (buttons 7 & 8, etc) so I could use those. Where to put the button? On top of the cab? Hidden somewhere?

Please share how you've addressed this problem. Thanks!
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

Hitek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2013, 07:20:25 pm
Re: Remapping 'Escape' on minipac
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 04:10:32 pm »
Not sure if the minipac uses the winIPAC software (or something similar) but I basically remapped my escape key to p1-coin (for shift mode) + p1-start. I wanted to map it to a p3 or p4 button, but so far I haven't been able to get shift keys to work on p3 or p4. They seem to program fine through winIPAC, but they do nothing.

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:59:40 pm »
Dunno what layout you have, but this is where us "non purists" start saying things like "I think I need an admin button". Make it so a completely seperate button handles the shift function; IE one that is not used at all during gameplay. If you do that, then you will never have the problem you have stated. (The admin button doesn't even have to be on the CP, it can be hidden. This all depends on personal taste and if you want guests to easily drop back to the front end.

In short; you would be better off with an admin button that handles shift (On CP or hidden)

EDIT: Some smart genius stated that: "A smart design isn't one that just anticipates a potential problem; it is one that prevents the problem from happening in the first place"
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:02:33 pm by protokatie »
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:55:01 pm »
Yeah, I've got a button mounted on the rear of the cab for the computer power -- I'll probably mount another one somewhere near the other side in the rear to handle the 'escape' command.

More wiring to do, I guess  :banghead:

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 03:26:06 pm »
Ok, I've had enough. Last night my friend and I were all the way through Double Dragon on 2 player on only our 3rd credit, and were battling Machine Gun Willie. Wouldn't you know it, we both died at the same time, and each pressed our 'player start' buttons at the same time.

** BAM **

Back to my front end.  :hissy: :angry

Totally agree: that happening once is far to many times. 

Ever since it happen to my brother and I, I've been totally sold on having the shift as it's own button, or force use of the keyboard.

But... I'm not total sure what's best.  I'm leaning toward an admin button bar on the cab just above the CP ATM, but haven't tested it in the wild.  In the past, the shift button was it's own button in the top middle of the CPs, or just force keyboard use, neither I'm happy with.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:31:16 pm »
At this point I'm considering installing the button for Escape in another room. Perhaps another zip code.

There is NOTHING that's a bigger buzz kill than when you and your buddy (both dads of 2 year olds, with precious little time) get booted out of a great game.

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 05:12:11 pm »
The winipac software definitely works for the mini pac and you can re-map to whatever button you like.  I use the coin button with the P1 start to escape.  If you do go with a dedicated button don't use the shift button just put it a bit out of the way. 

Anyway just fire up the software and it is fairly easy to figure out.
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 05:21:21 pm »
I put my exit button to the upper left of the control panel away from everything else. I pulled the spring out and stretched it to about a foot long(!) and put it back in, making it difficult to press the button without a decent amount of pressure. I also used a Sanwa microswitch, since those are a little tougher to engage than a Cherry. I chose a red button and put one of Pongo's labels on it.

I never exit games by mistake now.

Oh, and I used winipac to remap ESC to it.

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 06:32:38 pm »
Im the ---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?--- when it comes to changing the key assignments via Winipac. I just leave them be and change them in MAME. I think my fear of changing the layout in the minipac comes from me misreading that the minipac had eprom, and not eeprom. Luckily it turns out that it has eeprom... But the damage is done so I only remap in MAME.
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

jeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2012, 03:45:21 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 02:17:12 am »
Just saw this post and thought I'd chip in what I've got planned:

I have two buttons on my "admin panel". Left is Shift and right is Pause. I'm thinking of placing a switch underneath the control panel that will disconnect the shift button.

On the CP I have P1 & P2 Start, the joysticks and 6 buttons each. Nothing else, no coin buttons. I will have coin mechs of course.

I then have these shift functions:
shift+pause = escape
shift+p1 = player 1 credit
shift+p2 = player 2 credit
and shift+ p1 buttons 1-3 for tab, tilde and enter.

Hopefully this works out okay.
Current Project: Mortal Arcade

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 03:07:11 am »
I have p1 start + pause = escape.

I have yet to have anyone hit escape accidentally.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 09:28:33 am »
I have p1 start + pause = escape.

I have yet to have anyone hit escape accidentally.

Mine are right next to each other and I still somehow managed to accidentally escape. With the exit button I mentioned above, it's rare that I ever exit a game without intending to.

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 04:43:10 pm »
i have mine where i have my two mouse buttons, underneath the control panel.  you'd be surprised how naturally the two mouse buttons feel facing the floor.  right hand on the trackball, left hand, palm up, under the cp.  absolutely keeps it away from gameplay but extremely easy to reach