Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Outdoor movie screen  (Read 7676 times)

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Re: Outdoor movie screen
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2009, 10:36:02 am »
End of summer bump. So how many times did you guy's do the movie thing?

We did a few group movie nights, but lately we've been doing it just for ourselves. My wife loves watching movies out there. We watched Space Camp Sunday night.

I figure we'll watch a handful more through october, and have a grand Finale on Halloween. Then I'll collapse the screen down for storage.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2009, 11:31:40 am »
I wish we lived in a place that had 70+ winters. Sometimes the cold and snow is fun, but I would much prefer to live in beachland 24/7 and visit the snow/cold for vacation. My wife has family in Florida that take their vacations as ski trips or Alaskan cruises. I'm so jealous!

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2009, 11:31:59 am »
Anyways, yes it will come down following Halloween.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2019, 10:20:06 am
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2009, 02:10:08 pm »

Halloween around here usually represents the end of these things.  Last year it was 30 on Halloween and never got any warmer after that.  Our last outdoor movie in 2008 was the week before Halloween and we had a fire and the family was in winter coats and blankets.

We have probably been able to do it 5 times this summer.  It has been a busier one than usual.  We don't have anyone over, though, since our neighbors are about as friendly as Chris Benoit.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2009, 02:24:46 pm »
We've invited neighbors before, but I don't think they believe us when we tell them what we have out there. Personally, I wouldn't doubt a guy who has a full blown arcade in his house! Not to mention most of them have seen my Hallowindow setup.

Case in point - I've invited the next door kid EVERY TIME I've had a game night or movie night. Monday afternoon, him and his mom were talking to my wife, and they mentioned they kept hearing noise the night before and went out to check it out. Then they saw the screen and thought it was awesome. She asked why we never invited them over for it? My wife just chuckled and pointed out that we had...

One thing I do like about just showing for us and maybe the in-laws is that I don't have to clean the house. :)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2009, 02:28:15 pm »

Frankly I'm surprised no one here has called the cops on us yet.  Or that we haven't had a random drunk wander over to our yard and start a problem.  Last year we had animal control visit us and a drunk driver roll into our yard.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2009, 02:31:12 pm »

Frankly I'm surprised no one here has called the cops on us yet.  Or that we haven't had a random drunk wander over to our yard and start a problem.  Last year we had animal control visit us and a drunk driver roll into our yard.

Our screen is very secluded. Blackout cloth makes for a great screen, but the main reason I wanted it was so that the image didn't got through and light up the trees and possibly the road beyond. You might catch a brief glance of the screen between the house and shed if driving by, but barely if at all.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2009, 02:35:51 pm »

Ours is too.  It's right up against the house.  Directly across the yard are trees and a 10' wooden fence with no gaps.  Facing the screen, to the left, are 13' thick bushes, then a main street.  To the right are lower but still thick bushes and my neighbor's yard.  On the other side of that fence, though, is a pizza place, and across from that pizza place is a bar.  So even though you might not SEE the screen people can hear the movie if everything else dies down for a while.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2009, 03:00:06 pm »

I said animal control, not police.  She said she was looking for a black Rottweiler that was roaming around.

Actually would have been better if it were the police.

Fordman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2016, 07:31:22 pm
  • MADE in the USA
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2009, 10:40:01 am »
Here in Cincy on Labor Day weekend, we mark the end of summer with a little party called Riverfest. At the end of the day a local radio station and some corporate comglomorate sponsors a fireworks show. It is locally televised and has been on just about every station in town. They all try to out do each other with camera angles and aerial shots and the likes. This year it was actually in HD. So I put up the 'ole outdoor screen, antenna, HD converter box, VCR for the tuner and projector.

The pics are from my cell phone, so they arnt the best quality.

I made th speakers removable from the side of the screen.

Here comes the fireworks:

Not too bad! Then it was 'A Bug's Life' for the kiddo's

:cheers:

Fordman

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2009, 09:21:39 pm »

:banghead: :banghead:

So, we did a nice movie tonight, but when I was taking the screen down it fell.  The bottom bar ripped off the screen for about half of its width.  Now I have to see if it's possible to repair that or if I just borked my 96" screen.

:banghead: :banghead: