Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trouble removing original japanese sticks  (Read 2732 times)

ophtho2

• Trade Count: (0)
Trouble removing original japanese sticks
« on: June 14, 2002, 08:49:15 pm »
Ok, I have two of the new J-sticks to replace my aging and decrepit joysticks that came with my japanese sit down cab. Problem is I can't seem to get the original joysticks out of the cabinet. I assume that the balltop just screws off the shaft, but two pairs of pliers later it don't budge. Maybe too much rust. I'm out to get some WD 40. Any other ideas out there.  There is a screw on the bottom of the shaft with some kind of clip just below that, but its so soft that I am ripping the screw up just trying to turn it with a screw driver.  I'm thinking its about time to whip out the all purpose hammer or hacksaw.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

MuscleSprout

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • //
Re: Trouble removing original japanese sticks
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2002, 02:04:03 am »
I too have a japanese cabinet.  The ball top does not come off, and the screw thing does nothing as far as I know.  On mine, there is a c clip right above where the screw thing is (I think you mentioned seeing it).  Take that c clip off (pull to the side), and the stick pulls right out.  Sorry for the lack of technical terms.  Hope it helped anyways...

m3talslug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2007, 04:22:25 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
    • M3talslug's Control Panels
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2002, 01:57:50 pm »
This is a Jap arcade parts distributor:

http://www.riverservice.co.jp/index_e.html

The ship to the US.

Since you have a jap cabinet, could you please ansewr a couple of questions for me.  I know those controls DO NOT mount onto standard 3/4" thick wood.  How thick is the wood or metal in your jap cabinets?  What would be the best material in your opinion to use when building a box to mount Jap controls on?

Andy Geez

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2002, 05:18:19 pm »
Many Operators superglue the balls on the joysticks to avoid them unscrewing when being used, just remove the e-clip and slide the entire ball and stick assembly out and then unbolt the base.