Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Happ Joystick - Mounting Probs  (Read 2111 times)

d00dness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2018, 02:54:20 pm
Happ Joystick - Mounting Probs
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:27:54 pm »
Good evening.  After putting off my Mame project till I had some time, I decided to start working on my CP.  As i was putting it together over the week, I noticed that the joystick bases rise about 1/8" above the CP.  I had my CP custom made so that the base is mounted on top and not underneath.  Only the micro's are shown underneath.  Since I was not the one who made the CP nor do I have any routers to route out the 1/8" to make it flush, does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this?  I'm afraid that my expensive CPO will be raised up cause it will not be flush with the rest of the CP.  Thanks in advance...

SG Jaycurl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2017, 01:19:43 pm
Re: Happ Joystick - Mounting Probs
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:38:10 am »
Well, my first gut reaction when I read this was that getting a router to rout out the extra 1/8 inch sounded like the best solution to me.

Is your CP just MDF right now? Do you currently have any other covering (like laminate) already on it? Do you plan to do a Plexi-glass overlay?

There may be some alternate solutions depending on those other variables, but I suspect that they will all be more complex than just getting your hands on a router and routing out that extra 1/8". I've tried to clean up stuff like this before with a chisel... it's SO friggin hard to do that well.

You could probably rent a router from a local hardware store, if you just need it for a couple hours for this part.

d00dness

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 12:02:59 pm »
Thanks for the reply... Although I've used a router back in the 80's .... i'm a lil nervous renting one and screwing up the CP :P ... but if that's the only option I might as well try it..... The finished product will have a 1/8" plexi glass cover along with a CPO ..... if that helps..

d00dness

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 08:18:36 pm »
Borrowed a neighbors router .. good to go ..

-- Admin Please delete thread --

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 03:07:08 am »
You dont want to delete threads (I don't think admin will do it anyway) as the information in them may help others in the future.

Good work on borrowing a router. See if you can get hold of a bearing guided pattern bit. Make a template by cutting out the profile of the joystick base out of some 1/2 or 3/4"" MDF or similar and then screw it to your CP or use carpet tape if you dont want to mark it. You can then just run the bearing round your template and remove the excess 1/4" nice and neatly without fear of removing a too large area of material around the joystick base.