Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fe authors is there still interest in the uam 3d cabinet model format?  (Read 1505 times)

)p(

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
Hi all, i have not been here for some time...used to be a regular ;)

A while back Howard Casto has made a new format for sharing 3d cabinet models between frontends. Basically its the directx model format .x wrapped with the textures inside a zip file. So it should easy to parse by all fe's that want to use it. We already have converted several cab models to this format. But now that HC does not develop DK anymore I was wondering if there is still interest in this model format?

See for details here:
http://echo.messageboard.nl/2243/viewtopic.php?t=2086

thanks,

peter

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
I think the format is good.  The fact to keep it directX compatible  make thing lot of more easy for developper.

For now , there isn't lot of 3d Front End .  But i'm sure if there is enough Cabinet model it will motivate others.

For now, i don't plan any support for that kind of model in Atomic. 

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 10:15:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Anything would be better than the .3ds format I'm stuck with, or that awful w3d.  :banghead:

I would support .uam, Collada, or possibly u3d.

EDIT: I think I am the only FE dev that would have an interest in models.

There was a "u3d" format mentioned in your thread which may be suitable, you would not have to export the .max to .x and then run through Howard's .x to .uam converter. I took a quick look and it looks fairly complete, cross platform and OpenGL-compatible. If that is the same format as described here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_3D

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:22:48 am by Cakemeister »
Old, but not obsolete.

)p(

• Offline Offline
Anything would be better than the .3ds format I'm stuck with, or that awful w3d.  :banghead:

I would support .uam, Collada, or possibly u3d.

EDIT: I think I am the only FE dev that would have an interest in models.

There was a "u3d" format mentioned in your thread which may be suitable, you would not have to export the .max to .x and then run through Howard's .x to .uam converter. I took a quick look and it looks fairly complete, cross platform and OpenGL-compatible. If that is the same format as described here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_3D

Hi,

I think HC has evaluated .u3d and found it not suitable. That's why he came up with .uam. There are already 25+ .uam on the website and if fe's start using them we will attempt to convert all of the hundreds we already have asap.

Maybe if your willing and have some time you could look at a couple of the models and see if you want to support them. If one sheep is over the fence maybe more will follow. Important is to settle on one standard.

Actually w3d is perfect for the job but as a propriety format and on top of that one that is doomed it sucks big time...

peter

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 10:15:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
With the possible exception of HeadKaze, I think there are only two sheep here, you and me.

But I am on board.
Old, but not obsolete.

)p(

• Offline Offline
With the possible exception of HeadKaze, I think there are only two sheep here, you and me.

But I am on board.

Hehe...actually I am semi-retired like HC.  I only still do support and small minor updates by user request to the 3darcade frontend. And my own cab still uses the same Emulaxian skin I started with...never changed anything to it after I finished my cab many years ago  ;D

Shame though I still think the 3d cab models can also be very cool in list style layouts and with modern engines it should not be that difficult to add support for them.

Great as a start I shall contact btribble, who does the model updates, and ask him to add an uam version of every new model that is being added.

peter

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
I never did care much for HC's custom .uam format as I didn't really see the point. Why not just have the .x model and textures in their own folder? Extracting the .x and textures IMHO just adds an unessesary step.

I converted 292 models myself to standard .x format which took quite a long time and unfortunately some of them have a few display issues (mainly with the screen texture) but most of them turned out okay. 7Zipped they come to about 287 MB.