Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NPs Star Wars  (Read 17987 times)

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
NPs Star Wars
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:34:04 pm »
I picked up one of my grail machines this weekend, Star Wars. Based on a couple of conversations and a crappy Craigslist picture, I decided it was worth it to make the long trek with hopes of adding it to my game room. It turned out to be in great shape, and although it is not quite working yet I am hoping it won't be too complicated of a fix.

I am listing this in the Restorations forum, but there really isn't much to restore. The cabinet is in great shape, save the few nicks and scratches typical of a machine this old. The marquee has some cracking where it makes the bends, and the controller can probably stand to be rebuilt. But other than that cosmetically, she's a beauty!

It powers up to a blank screen, but you can start a game and hear the game play just fine. I haven't had a chance to check any of the boards, but the guy I bought it from told me occasionally it will show a squashed image in a quarter of the screen. He also told me that there was no spot killer LED on, although I have not checked personally.

I am very excited to own this. It went straight into my game room, while the other acquisition (720°) went to the garage for some repair work. Hopefully the force will be strong with this one (cheesy I know, but it just came out).

Some more pics...

(both sides are in equally good shape)

TelcoLou

• Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2010, 01:28:19 am
  • Playing video games since 1977
Re: NPs Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 10:50:15 pm »
Congrats! She's a beauty!!!  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
So a leper walks into a bar and as he gets his beer, a finger falls off. The bartender who is serving him turns and pukes all over the place. The leper, feeling bad, says, "Was it my finger falling off?" The bartender turns to him and says, "No, it's the guy dipping chips into your back."

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 02:14:13 pm »
Amplifone or WG monitor?

She's in nice shape.

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 03:28:32 pm »
Nice ! Saw the road-trip pics, I love them, I always love road-trip pics, why not post some here ?

Get a special offer yoke kit from David while you can....

If Amplifone, red HVT ?

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 05:37:14 pm »
@Level42....notice something about the blue on the cab?

Most of the artwork appears to match your Irish blue. But the yoke artwork blue appears to match the repro, so the US version has both shades of blue I guess.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:42:34 pm by WunderCade »

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 06:39:54 pm »
Congrats NP! Looks very nice.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 10:24:35 pm »
It's a Wells Gardner, and I am not sure of its working state.

So far, I have given the entire machine a good wipe down, and taken a magic eraser to the CP and the marquee - it really restores some of the brightness to the colors. Then I took each fuse out to test it in a multimeter (they were all good). The coin counter has about 50K clicks on it.

I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start. There is so much info out there it is a bit overwhelming. I think I need to check voltages first, but need to figure out where to check. I haven't removed the PCB cage yet. When I picked it up, it was able to start a game and play blind. Now it won't start (the only thing I did was remove and replace the fuses). It would be nice to have a test rig to rule out whether the monitor or the boards are a problem first. But I don't.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 02:10:19 am »
I don't have a test-rig either but still got some SW's working.

It's not magic. First: did you move the test-switch maybe ? This could be a cause for the game sounds not coming up. Or you may have to credit it first.

Next step: read the WG6100 faq.

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Monitors/FAQ%20Wells%20Gardner%206100%20Version%201.0%20dated%201%20Mar%2002.pdf

Then put it away for a day, and read it again.

Then start working on it :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:12:20 am by Level42 »

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:15:20 pm »
OK, I have been afraid of this thing too long - time to start. I have poured over megabytes of information and faqs and manuals, and to be honest I don't really know where to start. Here is what I know:

When I bought the game it played blind (you could hear the game start by adding credits with the aux. credit button. No picture came on the monitor but the guy told me that sometimes it would show up in 1/4 of the screen. The spot killer was not lit. I loaded it into a van on it's back strapped down tight, and drove for 240 miles (that's 386 km to you European folk  ;) ).

When I got her to her new home, she would not play blind, and now the spot killer is lit. So I am not sure whether to start with checking the boards or the monitor, or how. I checked the fuses with a meter and they all tested OK. But I pulled them out to test, so maybe I broke a fuse when I popped it out?

I checked the test points on the ARII board. I think they all look good. The -5 and +10 are right on. The +10.3 unregulated is at about 13, +22 and -22 are around +23 and -23, and the 36VAC is right at 36 (measured across the two test points, not to ground).

And if I turn the screen knob all the way up, I do get a nice large blue dot in the center of the monitor. So that tells me the flyback is working, correct?

So, what exactly should I do?

Help me any-wan, you're my only hope. (what, I thought I was supposed to leave quotes since it's a SW repair thread)

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 11:31:24 pm »
"With the blast shield down, I can't even see, how am I supposed to fight?"  ::)
Happy Gaming!

m_mcgover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2020, 09:19:55 pm
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 08:00:50 am »
Turn the brightness down so you don't burn a whole in the center of your monitor.  In fact, if it is not "playing blind" you may want to unplug the monitor while you debug the game board.

I would recheck the fuses in circuit (with power off) by placing your meter probes on the holders as opposed to the fuses so you can verify continuity through the fuse and the holder.

I would also check that:
1) You didn't accidentally switch the game into test mode (maybe if you were cleaning the plate with the counter,  volume control, etc.

If the fuses are all good, then I would take a moment to check how the connectors look to the game boards.  Remove the connector and look into it to make sure the pins all look to be in good shape and not bent out of the way (I had a Warlords that behaved badly because one of the internal pins of the edge connector had been bent and was making contact to a neighboring pin.  If they look good, reseat the connector and try to power it back up with the monitor unplugged.

2) recheck the voltages on the AR2

Do they still look good?
Sinistar, 25" Smash TV, Major Havoc 720, Star Wars cockpit w/ESB kit, Robotron cocktail, Warlords cocktail, Back to the Future pinball

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 06:21:56 am »
I would also check that:
1) You didn't accidentally switch the game into test mode (maybe if you were cleaning the plate with the counter,  volume control, etc.
That's what I said before and should be the very first check to make.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 12:32:50 pm »
I should mention that I did try both positions of the test switch. Am I correct in remembering that on boot it is silent until you add coins? Or will it be silent until I start a game?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 01:59:04 pm »
Depends. If it's set on free-play it will boot up with "May the force be with you" right away.  If not, you'll have to credit it to hear that.

Something to check after transport: the interconnection board between the three PCB's.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 11:23:28 pm »
OK, I re-checked the fuses on the clips and they all test good. I re-seated the PCB edge connectors on both ends of the board and checked the wire harness connectors as well. I also re-seated the molex connectors on the ARII board. I powered it up and checked both switch positions, turning the volume knob in both directions. I still get the spot killer on, and no playing blind.

I un-plugged the monitor and re-checked all the ARII test points. I still get -5.05V, +12.2V, and +/-23. Nothing changed.

If I listen closely to the speakers, I can hear some faint garbagy noise, but no talking or game sounds. To check the PCB test points, can I just pull the PCB boards out of the chassis and set them on something non conductive (like a board)? I mean they are still completely connected after I pull them out, right?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 01:08:24 am »
Yes the boards should stay connected after pulling it out of the cage, but keep an eye on the interconnect board.  And sure you can run it like you suggest.

What do the thee LED's do on the main board ? They should be lit for a second or two and then go off.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 04:00:07 am »
Yes the boards should stay connected after pulling it out of the cage, but keep an eye on the interconnect board.  And sure you can run it like you suggest.

What do the thee LED's do on the main board ? They should be lit for a second or two and then go off.

I'll try the test points on the PCB set next. But I have noticed through the cage that the LEDs stay lit while there is power. They do not go out, like you suggest.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 04:40:22 am »
Sounds like the main board CPU is not running to me. Not to dispare you, but that could be about anything.

You'll need this if you want to do any furhter investigations:
http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcade_Atari_Kee/Star_Wars/Star_Wars_SP-225_1st_Printing_Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 09:23:03 pm »
OK, I dove in to try out my comprehension skills with the trouble-shooting guide. First up, I pulled the PCBs out and checked all the voltages I could find. Everything looked good. Next I disconnected the sound board and was on the hunt for all the various clocks so I could test them with my logic probe. After hunting for a while, I noticed that the three LEDs on the main PCB were no longer lit. I cycled the power power on the machine and sure enough they lit briefly, and then went out - as expected.

So I rushed to the front of the machine to see it it would play blind. I didn't hear anything, and couldn't get it to coin up. I tried different positions on the test switch, but still no voice. The main PCBs were still not lit (e.g. good). That's when I realized that I still hadn't reconnected the sound board. So I reconnected it, and rushed back to the front.

Now I hear a bunch of strange test tones, and realize that the game must be in test mode. I flip the switch, check the LEDs (still good) and try to coin up a game. SUCCESS! It plays blind again. I guess in all the PCB disconnecting and reconnecting, I must have re-seated something that wasn't making a good connection before.

So I still can't see anything, but the spot killer is off. Now this is when I realize that I had disconnected the monitor previously. I reconnect it, power up the game, check the PCB LEDs (still good), and check the spot killer (NOT lit). Nice. The game still plays, but it is blind. THere is nothing to be seen on the monitor, but I can hear the crackling.

Phew. This is a big relief that the boards are working. Now I can focus on trouble-shooting the monitor. I will get a kit from bob roberts - any recommendation on which kit I should get? Or should I wait and do a little trouble-shooting first?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 02:26:32 am »
Something to check after transport: the interconnection board between the three PCB's.

;D ;D ;D

It really comes loose relatively easy because of those large boards.

Congrats. Did you notice that all 16 beeps were hi-pitched ? If so, the basic tests are all passed.

Buy a LV6100 or LV2000. Get a cap-kit from bob including the transistors it's not that more expensive than without.
Check if the LED on the deflection board is on (I bet it is). If so, you're on the same path as Spyridon. Check all solderings and tracks around the connectors on the deflection board first.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:29:37 am by Level42 »

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 10:29:34 am »
The thing is I did check the interconnection board. I took all three boards out and removed both interconnect boards. THen I reconnected them and still got nothing. It wasn't until the second time that things started working. So I did listen to you.  :)

The LED on the deflection board is not lit. Where do I check the HV on the monitor, is there a test point?

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 10:35:26 am »
The thing is I did check the interconnection board. I took all three boards out and removed both interconnect boards. THen I reconnected them and still got nothing. It wasn't until the second time that things started working. So I did listen to you.  :)

The LED on the deflection board is not lit. Where do I check the HV on the monitor, is there a test point?

You turn off the lights and look at the neck... any orange glow?  Can you hear it ticking?  If no then no HV.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 10:48:29 am »
Slide your tongue under the HV cu.....ahh no, Chad's suggestion is better.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 11:06:17 am »
Oh-bkay. I bused the b-toungue trick, and bnow my btongue is sor-buh. Whabt wibll mabke my-buh btongut feebl better?

Translation:
There is HV, as the neck glows and I hear ticking. What I meant to ask is where can I measure B+ so I can set it to 180 if it is too low?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 11:21:38 am »
Oh-bkay. I bused the b-toungue trick, and bnow my btongue is sor-buh. Whabt wibll mabke my-buh btongut feebl better?
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Sounds like Jar-Jar at the podracer :D

Uhhh, I forgot.....have to check the manual for that.....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:40:17 pm by Level42 »

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 11:36:30 am »
What I meant to ask is where can I measure B+ so I can set it to 180 if it is too low?

Pin 5 (orange wire) coming off the bottom connector (P900) of the HV cage is your B+ wire. It's easier to test it where it connects to the neckboard, though. Stick your red lead on that and your black lead on the monitor frame. You should have close to +180vdc. If you need to adjust it (if it's below 172 or higher than 188), you do so by turning a pot on the HV board. There is a hole in the top of the HV cage to stick a long screwdriver or adjustment tool down there, but I recommend removing the cage mesh for easier access. If you hit the wrong thing with a srewdriver tip, you'll short something out and maybe get zapped, too....
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 03:35:31 pm »
 ???

Well, I thought I had HV, but measuring the B+ at the following locations only gives me between 2 and 3V (fluctuating).

So I guess it's back to the flowchart for me. Next step would be to turn up the brightness and contrast on the HV PCB and check for a dot. Although I know there is not +/- 28VDC on pins 1/8 of P900 already. I am thinking I will just install the cap kit when I get it and test again. Chances are if I were to find a defective part I would install all the replacements in the upgrade anyway, so I might as well save the trouble-shooting time now.

And thanks again for the help. There is so much information to absorb.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:37:08 pm by Neverending Project »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 05:57:33 pm »
Did you also order a LV6100 or LV2000 ?

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 10:18:02 pm »
Did you also order a LV6100 or LV2000 ?

Yeah, I sent an e-mail to Mark Spaeth but haven't heard back yet, and haven't had any luck hearing back from him in the past. If I don't hear from him soon, I will go ahead with the LV2000 (presuming I can find that one).

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 01:49:16 am »
Yeah, I've been trying to contact Mark about an issue with the third SW/ESB kit I installed (doesn't work) but no luck. The irritating thing it that he _is_ posting on the KLOV forum (and yes I PMed him there too)......

And here's a good tip for finding the LV2000:

www.google.com

(OK OK:  http://www.geocities.com/jeffhendrix67/lv2000)

:laugh:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 08:43:44 am »
I believe arcadeshop.com sells the Jeff Hendrix LV2000 as well.
Happy Gaming!

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 10:17:49 am »
And here's a good tip for finding the LV2000:

www.google.com

I prefer:
http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/
 :)

I believe arcadeshop.com sells the Jeff Hendrix LV2000 as well.

Thank you.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 07:45:42 pm »
I am hoping that I will get to install my cap kit, rebuild parts and LV2000 board tonight. I was thinking it would be easiest to pull the monitor to work on it instead of pulling the boards separately. And in a quick search, it looks like the WG should be able to be pulled out from the back. But after looking at it, I can't see how this is possible. It is screwed in from the front. Anyone have any suggestions?

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 10:05:24 pm »
Mine actually came out through the front.  It was real close to touching the speaker grille... but it did come out.
Happy Gaming!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 10:52:47 am »
You're going to need the cover of that HV cage or else you'll get a wiggly picture...

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 01:08:24 pm »
I got a lot done last night. I still didn't get everything installed, but first the short story and a couple of questions for those who don't want all the details.

Short Story

I have installed the LV2000 board, and most of the parts from the Bob Roberts Cap Kit and Additional Parts kit. R100 was badly burned in the lov-voltage section of the deflection board, which may have been the whole problem with the monitor. It got removed with the rest of the LV section, and the LV2000 went in its place. The wires are soldered to the chassis cage transistors, so I still need to replace these. Since they all came in the kit I plan on replacing them all, and I plan on soldering the wires back on.

Questions
In the WG documentation it lists a 33µF 160V cap for C905. Bob Roberts kit came with a 47µF 160V radial cap - not an axial cap like is required - but his documentation lists it as 33µF.  I just want to make sure that this is a mistake, and I should not use the 47µF, right? I mean the radial cap will barely stretch to fit the holes anyway since it is supposed to be axial.

Also, the WG document lists C901 & C901 as 100µF 50V caps, and so does the Bob Roberts documentation. But they are also listed as a recommended upgrade to 220µF 50V. I already replaced the existing 220µF with these new 100µF because it came with the kit and I thought the kit included all the upgrade parts. Should I remove these and get some 220µF caps to use, or leave the new 100µF caps in there per the Bob Roberts kit?

Read on for the long version of the story...

OK, now on to the details. Getting the monitor out was much more of an ordeal that I thought it would be. There was no way I could get the monitor out from the back of the cabinet, so I tried to get it out through the front. I took off the housing and removed the glass and bezel. I removed the bolts holding the monitor frame to the cabinet and tried to slowly take it out the front. It was so close, but ultimately the monitor kept running into the speaker grill. I considered removing the grill, but it looks like it is riveted on.

Finally I decided that I would be able to remove the tube separately, so that's what I did. I discharged it (using my home-made screwdriver/alligator clip tool) into the ground pin of a three-prong AC cord. Then I disconnected it and slowly removed the monitor from the frame out of the front of the cabinet. Next I couldn't get the chassis out from the front of the cabinet! I tried every which way I could manage, but the monitor shield kept getting in the way. I was about to remove the shield when I decided to give the back a try. After some more finagling I was able to lift the chassis forward, tilt it, and bring it out the back of the cabinet.

So for those of you still following, I had to remove the monitor tube out the front and the chassis out the back. I probably spent about an hour just removing the monitor. It was like a puzzle.

So on my workbench (kitchen table) I was able to install most of the parts from the kit(s). Next up is to get some thermal compound and install the chassis transistors.

I have another question... the kit came with replacement Q603/Q604/Q703/Q704 transistors. I do not suspect a problem with them, so I am considering not replacing them since they look like they are a bit of a pain to replace. do you think I should replace them anyway?

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 01:31:52 pm »
In the WG documentation it lists a 33µF 160V cap for C905. Bob Roberts kit came with a 47µF 160V radial cap - not an axial cap like is required - but his documentation lists it as 33µF.  I just want to make sure that this is a mistake, and I should not use the 47µF, right? I mean the radial cap will barely stretch to fit the holes anyway since it is supposed to be axial.

Yes it should be an axial cap... I didn't end up using mine... I ended up getting the axial version.... you may still use the radial, as long as it makes the distance.

Also, the WG document lists C901 & C901 as 100µF 50V caps, and so does the Bob Roberts documentation. But they are also listed as a recommended upgrade to 220µF 50V. I already replaced the existing 220µF with these new 100µF because it came with the kit and I thought the kit included all the upgrade parts. Should I remove these and get some 220µF caps to use, or leave the new 100µF caps in there per the Bob Roberts kit?

Bob's kit for the most part replaces all caps back to factory values.  You'll be ok with those values.  The more important upgrades are included in his kit anyway.

I have another question... the kit came with replacement Q603/Q604/Q703/Q704 transistors. I do not suspect a problem with them, so I am considering not replacing them since they look like they are a bit of a pain to replace. do you think I should replace them anyway?

According to the FAQ these don't often fail... but I decided to replace mine anyway... this whole upgrade is a lot of work... the last thing I wanted to do is skip something and have it turn around and bite me in the but.  :cheers:
Happy Gaming!

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2009, 04:31:51 pm »

Yes it should be an axial cap... I didn't end up using mine... I ended up getting the axial version.... you may still use the radial, as long as it makes the distance.

Bob's kit for the most part replaces all caps back to factory values.  You'll be ok with those values.  The more important upgrades are included in his kit anyway.

According to the FAQ these don't often fail... but I decided to replace mine anyway... this whole upgrade is a lot of work... the last thing I wanted to do is skip something and have it turn around and bite me in the but.  :cheers:

Great. Thank you!

I mis-typed earlier. Bob's kit comes with a radial 33µF 160V cap, but there was a 47µF axial installed. I will just install the radial since I have it already.

Also, I took another look at the chassis mounted transistors. I finally understand what everyone is talking about when they say you won't need to solder them. I thought I understood, but somewhere it was mentioned that you can pull off the lugs. When I saw that mine were soldered on, I thought that I wouldn't be able to. Now I realize that the transistor "holder" has the wires soldered on, but the transistor itself simple screws into this - no solder required. It should be really straight forward. Bob even threw in some new mylar insulators with the kit! Yay Bob!

I feel the same way about the extra Q603/604/703/704. I bought them because I didn't want to place a second order if I found they were bad. As long as I have the whole thing apart anyway (and I just bought some thermal compound for the chassis transistors) I might as well install them. One more thing to rule out as the problem.

Hopefully my next post will be after it is all re-assembled and after I have played a few games!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2009, 06:18:36 pm »
uhhhmmm, maybe I missed it (there are so many ur sw threads here now :) ), but did you renew the solderings on the deflection board ?

Do it or fail. :D

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 12:44:12 am »
I was hoping my next post would be after it's all assembled and I had played a few games.

Well, it is! I did all of the upgrades, re-flowed the solder on all the header pins, replaces the chassis caps and got it all back together. I put the monitor back in and fired it up. That 4 or 5 seconds before the screen comes on seemed like an eternity, but there it was - my working Star Wars.

The top of the screen was very dim, and it seemed to be missing some colors. I was a little worried, but a simple twist of the brightness dial and all was wonderful.

I still have to do some adjustments on the monitor and rebuild the yoke (already have the kit), but it is just as fun as I remember, I was so happy that I took the rest of the night off to relax and enjoy a cocktail, and perhaps even play a few more games.  :cheers: