Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dr. Dude  (Read 3979 times)

Flake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
Dr. Dude
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:06:46 am »
I have never played it before but there is one in my area for sale.  The description is "really nice" and just shopped.  Seller wants $1350.

Opinions on this pin? 

Also, there is a Surf N' Safari pin in my area for sale as well.  I could probably get this one for $700 - $800.  Its in good condition and has been recently shopped.  I have never played this pin either.

Are these prices out of line or right on?

Thanks

Flake

• Offline Offline
Re: Dr. Dude
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:41:43 pm »
So what do you think about the asking prices of these games?

As mentioned by Cowbell in another thread, there is a lot of talk about the "value" of pinball machines on these boards lately.  The general consensus seems to be that the value of pinball machines are in the tank right now.  While this may be true in some parts of the country, I'm not so sure that is the case in my area (greater St. Louis).  Either that or sellers are being stubborn and not parting with their machines unless they get what they are asking. 

Now lets get one thing out of the way here, I am no expert on pinball and have really only recently developed a desire to own one.  So to say I'm a "newbie" is an understatement.  That being said, from the posts I've been reading it would seem that if you pay over $1,000 for any machine you got ripped off - unless you are buying a newer, sought after DMD game.  For instance, there are several demo man's in my area - the least of which is going for $1200 in OK condition, recently shopped. 

I guess maybe its because I am looking at "recently shopped" machines?  If you bought something without a recent shop job then maybe the seller is willing to part with it for less since they dont necessarily know if what costs are involved in fixing the machine....

I guess I'm just trying to get a better handle on the "market" per say.

I did talk to a guy recently who collects pinballs, he's not much on the sales side of things anymore, who seemed to indicate that as of right now these machines are still holding most of their value.  He did anticipate that as the economy worsens over the next 6 months or so that most likely you will see some deals pop up.  Basically, he told me just be patient.

Any thoughts?

JeepMonkey

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2012, 01:51:24 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:25:50 pm »
I live on the other side of the state in Kansas City.  I keep an active look out on craigslist, ebay, etc.  From what I have seen the number of pins for sale hasn't really changed, and the prices have stayed pretty constant.  I am waiting to see people unloading pins more often and at lower prices than normal, but in my area this has not happened.

I have seen dealers lower prices on a few new Sterns (such as Shrek) that they have had for a little while and want to move them, but the prices have only been reduced a couple hundred dollars.

Local auctions have had mixed results.  Some "more valuable" pins like GNR havesold well under the MR. Pinball price where others such as Batman (Michael Keton) and the Data East Simpsons in medium condition will have reserves set at $1000-$1500+.  I have noticed that the number of pins at auctions have gone up drastically compared to a year ago.

On the other hand, the price of arcade machines at local auctions have dropped a fair bit.
Pins:  Theatre Of Magic, JP The Lost World, Revenge From Mars

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 01:38:51 pm »
At the last super auction I went to I wasnt really in the market for a pin at the time but its seemed as though they were going for much less than anticipated.  However, it was noted after the fact that the owners of these pins were actually up bidding their own machines and some of the "deals" I thought were out there were really only the owners buying them back.  The point being, you never really know what the pin would have gone for had there been someone really interested in purchasing it.  So what I thought was a relative drop in pin value based on what I saw at the last auction could only have meant that there really just wasnt anyone there interested in those machines so the dealer bought his own machine back. 

I guess you could argue that because the dealer had to buy it back, then the pin is "losing" value.  However, obviously the dealer wasnt willing to let it go at the lower price so if they are unwilling to sell, are you really going to be able to find one that cheap anyway?  I suppose if this trend continues for another year or so then maybe they will relax their prices a bit. 

But who the hell wants to wait that long to buy their first pin?  Not me.... :hissy:

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 02:31:34 pm »
Pinballs sell for EBay Price + Shipping + a slight premium.  Total waste of time for pinball machines unless you HAVE to have something.  Everyone selling them knows what they're worth, and there's 30 collectors there to bump the bids up to market. 

I'm not sure I agree with that.....there are lots of pinballs in my area for sale right now and except for a handful they all seem to be below e-bay bid price.  And that doesnt seem to include shipping or any premium on top of all that. 

I dont know man, the more I look into this the more I think its all just based on what maybe they purchased the game for plus some parts cost plus some time it took to do the shop job.

I talked to a guy who had a stargate available for sale the other night and he is selling for $1100 - which is what he paid for it about a year ago. 

I just wanted to understand where everyone was getting the idea that the pinball market was in the dumps.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 02:52:26 pm »
So your not big on Super Auction pinballs huh?

Awhile ago I was thinking this was the way to go but after talking with some collectors (guys who dont necessarily actively sell pinballs) they seemed to have cooled my enthusiasm for this quite a bit.  Plus now you are downplaying the cost/benefit of going this route as well. 

I'd hate to buy something now and see that same pin go for $200 (after the 20% of course) less at the next auction......However I guess you never know what amount of work they will need.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 02:56:34 pm »
Oh and on the Dr. Dude.....man that game looks like it kicks ass?  Its not a DMD game like Stargate but the playfield looks pretty sweet.....better than stargate IMO.  Never played either though.

More Cowbell

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2017, 02:33:49 pm
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 03:09:01 pm »
I bought 2 of my 4 pins at two Super Auctions about 6 months apart. Class of 1812 was $800 out the door and Jurassic Park was $1,000 out the door. They both worked and only needed a few little things which ran less than $50 each. I feel like I got a good deal on them and the excitement of winning them at auction was cool. Class of 1812 was my first pin so I was glad to get into it for less than $1,000 and learn a few things about repairing them and what I liked and didn't like in a pin. Bottom line is, go for it if you find what you like. Don't worry about $100 here or $200 there, you'll get your fun out of it and sell it for close to what you paid for it as long as you keep it in nice shape. Hope you get your first pin soon, they're a blast to own.
I've got a fever...

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 06:17:11 pm »
If you had the two options, which would you prefer?

1)   Surf n' Safari ($700) AND a Lights, Camera...Action! ($800)  - so $1500 total

2) One Stargate for $1100

The LCA has not been shopped lately but is 100% working other than the topper has a broken socket - and accordingly doenst work.  The SNS was shopped about a year ago and is supposedly in good shape.

The Stargate needs a bulb/tube of some kind that apparently costs $30 but other than that is 100% working and in good shape.

The LCA seems a bit pricey to me.  They are asking $1,000 but said they would negotiate.

I apologize for the constant questions regarding value but I have not played any of these pins and again, I'm still trying to get a handle on how these games play and how much their worth.

Thanks

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 06:39:08 pm »
This isnt what you might want to hear... but the best thing to do is to
go down and play them.  Most people are fine with you trying a game out, so long
as they feel you are interested in buying.

Some people love a certain pin.. while others despise it.  Its very much personal
preference.

Spending over a grand on something you are not sure you will like is
very risky,  Imop.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 06:43:07 pm »
Right on, I'm with you.  Problem for me is its tax season and I'm a CPA (which may also help explain all the "value" questions).  I just dont have much time to trek across the greater STL area looking at pins so I figure I would ask people's opinions on game quality, value, etc. 

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 05:30:13 pm »
Well I can get the Surf n' Safari for $600. 

Hopefully I can get the Stargate for $900-$950 since it needs at least $30 in repairs.  Seller told me he paid $1100 for it about a year ago or so.  That seems fair to me anyway.

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 08:22:23 pm »
stargate!
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 02:31:37 pm »
well I passed on the stargate.  It wasnt really shopped....the display was acting goofy, the pyramid didnt work right, and it wasnt very clean IMO. 

Oh well......keep searching

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 11:40:42 am »
stargate!

Why dont you sell me one of your nice pins for $1100?  Its about time you picked up something new anyway.   ;D

Are you famaliar with a seller in our area named "Troy"?  He responded to a CL WTB ad that I had.  Claims his pins are "really nice" - nicer than most.  At the time he didnt have anything that really peaked my interest, but I've told him to keep me informed about any new pins he may come across. 

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 07:34:49 pm »
Its hard to part with a pinball machine, I feel all guilty when one leaves the house  :-[ My hopes are to add 3 more machines later on this year rather than swap out 1 for 1 but life is unpredictable in the current economy.

Anyway, Troy doesn't ring a bell but I really only know Chuck in STL, Alan-TC in KY/IN, Rick in AR & Terry in Cape.

Other than that I think CL or ebay will be your best bet.

You know since this is your first pin you should keep it here for the first 30 days so I can make sure its ok  :angel:
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0