Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jamma Board Upgrade. Need to understand which one's to buy.  (Read 1026 times)

Billy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2015, 03:38:16 pm
Jamma Board Upgrade. Need to understand which one's to buy.
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:59:55 am »
I notice this guy on ebay has a bunch of Jamma Boards. At the end of his title he has them list as G1 or G2 or G3 Ect... Ect...

What does this mean? I have an old 1990 Atari Pit-Fighter that is just begging for a different board. I am a rookie at this so I am not sure what fits.

How do you know what will work?

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ARCADE-PCB-STORE_?_sid=369138943&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14&_pgn=1

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
Re: Jamma Board Upgrade. Need to understand which one's to buy.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 07:15:34 am »
Those numbers are most likely his internal labelling scheme so he can keep track of the boards he has for sale -- has nothing to do with JAMMA.

This, in essence, is what JAMMA means:

Nothing more than a set of standard connections for power, audio, video and controls.

The issue to watch out for is games that deviate from the 2 joysticks, 3 buttons each (these typically require additional harnesses, called "kick harnesses") or require a specific monitor (say a medium resolution monitor instead of a standard resolution monitor ... not all that common an occurence, but check KLOV).

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
Re: Jamma Board Upgrade. Need to understand which one's to buy.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 04:39:40 pm »
What he said .....

Reccomend looking each game title you are interested in and making sure it will be a drop in replacement in your setup without having to modify your cabinet. (as far as controls and such)
Some JAMMA boards also have slightly different sound board setup too.
Most boards have audio amplifiers directly on them, some require seperate amps, some are stereo, some are mono, etc.

I've seen other people use numbering stuff like that in their auctions.
Say they have 100 boards they want to list, sucks to sit down list them all at once in order to make sure you got them all listed.
So maybe he/she "grouped" them in groups of 10. (G1-G10)
Notice some of them have the same "G" number.
Once again though...has nothing to do with the JAMMA stuff.

Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.