Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Why don't we replace the "Monitor/Video" forum with a "Hardware" forum?  (Read 5805 times)

AlanS17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
We already have a "Software" forum that alot of people post to, but we don't have a "Hardware" forum. The "Monitor/Video" forum gets alot of posts, but I don't think it would get swamped by changing it to a general "Hardware" forum.

Monitors and video used to be a major issue taht required alot of individual discussing, but our knowledge of these topics has expanded greatly and new products like the ArcadeVGA have come around to help us out. Perhaps it's time to expand this topic to ease the strain on other forums such as "Main Forum".
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 10:27:03 pm by AlanS17 »

Apollo

• Yes You Can Have A Custom Title
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2021, 10:49:02 pm
    • Eight Bells
I concur, Bravo for a great idea.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
What would the main board include, then?  I mean monitors are "hardware", but so are screws, CD-ROMs, keyboard encoders, CPUs, trackballs, bolts, joysticks, nuts, buttons, and computer cases.  Almost everything we talk about at BYOAC can seen as "hardware".

Or do you mean something more specific like "Arcade Hardware, including monitors, PCB, power, and stuff like that"?
Robin
Knowledge is Power

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
Well "Main" gets more than 4 times as many posts as "Monitor/Video". I'm just trying to think of a way to sort it all out. You could specify either "Arcade Hardware" or "PC Hardware" if you want to cut down on clutter.

As it stands, "Monitor/Video" is somewhat of a cross-over topic between PC's and arcades. I think that's where it makes it hard to draw a line with a new topic.

Personally, I'd prefer to see questions about sound cards, memory, and hard drives moved out of the "Main" forum. Perhaps all PC hardware should be moved out?

I'm just throwing out ideas here. "Main" gets more posts than all other forums put together.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
Well "Main" gets more than 4 times as many posts as "Monitor/Video". I'm just trying to think of a way to sort it all out. You could specify either "Arcade Hardware" or "PC Hardware" if you want to cut down on clutter.

As it stands, "Monitor/Video" is somewhat of a cross-over topic between PC's and arcades. I think that's where it makes it hard to draw a line with a new topic.

Personally, I'd prefer to see questions about sound cards, memory, and hard drives moved out of the "Main" forum. Perhaps all PC hardware should be moved out?

I'm just throwing out ideas here. "Main" gets more posts than all other forums put together.

Ah, I see.  I wouldn't mind PC hardware as a new forum, but I don't really mind the way it is, either.  *shrug*

FWIW, to me plain "hardware" has too wide and loose a definition, as it can encompass tools, parts, or just about any physical thing that's metal, semi-metalic, or computer related. ( http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hardware )  It would leave the main forum left with only "what wood" and "which paint" questions. ;)  And "which paint brush / roller" questions would be in the hardware forum, not a good separation. :-\  Narrowing it down to something with more of a natural boundary (for example PC Hardware), one the other hand, might make more sense.  
Robin
Knowledge is Power

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Better yet. How about a "What kind of computer do I need for Mame" forum along with a "What kind of monitor should I use forum"

Or perhaps just make a sticky "What kind of computer do I need for Mame" thread in the general forum, and a similar sticky thread in the monitor forum.

I have this wild fantasy where those questions don't pop up every single day and then draw the same responses every time (usually consisting of 5 people proclaiming the need for a 2 GHZ computer, 2 people saying those 5 are nuts, and 4 people just listing what they used, and then the monitor arguements are basically the same thing, 5 people say you can't use anything but an arcade VGA/D9200 combo, 2 people defending tz and pc monitors, and 4 people listing what they have).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
I would like to see a "How to hack your Arcade Yoke Forum"  It seems there are still unknowns about the yoke, such as gears(ratios&teeth)  Also, I'd like to see some of the other yokes too.

Other than that, I don't know.  I would like to see it broken down as much as possible to be honest.  

On the other hand.  I think its fine the way it is.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
I feel that it might make sense but in the long run it would just add to the number of forums that I have to check and more stuff might be missed.  Plus there is the added work for the Moderators of moving items to additional forums since they always seem to get posted in the wrong place.

I can live with what we have.

BobA

rock345

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2007, 08:59:38 am
  • The Bodyguard has returned
This forum def needs a computer hardware forum of sorts or at least a sticky.  
If you build it...people will spill on it

anthony691

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2016, 03:10:23 pm
    • Lightgun.tk
COMPUTER HARDWARE FORUM! I say go for it! That would rock!
Visit my MAME lightgun site:
http://www.lightgun.tk

rock345

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2007, 08:59:38 am
  • The Bodyguard has returned
I think it would.  I mean when I first came around to this site last summer that was my main question.  What computer should I get? I'm still using an old PIII but there are cheap fast computers to be gotten out there and I like visitors of this site would benefit greatly from such a section. (I'm in the process of building one now).  I think a section discussing computer hardware/prices/where to get the goods would be very very beneficial.

Anyway. Just my 2 cents (again).

Plus I'm tired of switching between this forum and Hardfourms   ;)
If you build it...people will spill on it

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re:Why don't we replace the "Monitor/Video" forum with a "Hardware" forum?
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2003, 01:36:13 pm »
If there was a generic hardware forum...

and there is already a software forum...

What is the general for?

I can see hardware - controls..

but monitor section is really really different then the rest of the hardware.

Cabinet carpentry is different

Controls different

hacking controls... with controls?  

I wouldn't mind if monitor sections went back into general myself.  To many forums means you miss more...

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2003, 04:10:09 pm »
1) Well "hardware" is just vague. Bad description on my part. It could refer to arcade hardware, tools hardware, or pc hardware. I was really refering to pc hardware.

2) I wouldn't add a whole new forum. Just replace monitors with general pc hardware and peripherals. This wouldn't add to clutter by creating a whole new forum. It's just a redefinition of an old one.

3) It wouldn't empty out the "Main" forum to do so. It would thin it down a bit, but that's the point.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2003, 11:31:15 pm »
I think a pc hardware forum is a waste of time.  

There is basically only one question.  "What kind of pc should I get for mame?"

Personally I find this question extremely annoying, not because it's a dumb quesiton, but because it's literally asked about once a week and yet everyone seems to think they need to start a new thread because it's their pc and not that other guys.  

The question, should be asked, and answered, in the faq.  It has no business in any of the forums imo.  

Other questions involve interfacing pc hardware to arcade hardware, which is what the "main" forum is for.  

Spaced Invader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2008, 07:27:49 am
  • Resistance is... probably a good idea.
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2003, 10:31:28 am »
I think Howard's right in theory but this is the real world. "Asking and answering" the PC question in the FAQ would only lead to 500 impatient responses of "read the FAQ"--from Howard...and 500 flames directed at Howard.  ;D

Seriously, there are two big PC questions that pop up over and over--"What PC do I need" and " Where can I get a Deal on a PC". Wouldn't these two questions best be handled in a couple of stickies?

Opinions Vary!
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2003, 06:56:25 pm »
I think Howard's right in theory but this is the real world. "Asking and answering" the PC question in the FAQ would only lead to 500 impatient responses of "read the FAQ"--from Howard...and 500 flames directed at Howard.  ;D

No what would happen is I would ignore the question as they had no business asking it and 2 or 3 "helpful" people would come in and give half right answers, forcing me to respond.  If those same people would have simply said "read the faq"  they would have taught the poster how to fish instead of giving them a free lunch.  

I know you were kidding, but you brought up an interesting and rather serious point.  A lot of people here think that they are doing right by spoon feeding individuals answer after answer.  The true way to help them is to teach them how to get the answers for themselves.  It'll be a much more rewarding experience for both parties involved.  :)

DOC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2004, 07:16:06 pm
  • I walk in the dark... But why am i afraid?
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2003, 06:49:00 am »
I think a pc hardware forum is a waste of time.  

There is basically only one question.  "What kind of pc should I get for mame?"

Personally I find this question extremely annoying, not because it's a dumb quesiton, but because it's literally asked about once a week and yet everyone seems to think they need to start a new thread because it's their pc and not that other guys.  

The question, should be asked, and answered, in the faq.  It has no business in any of the forums imo.  

Other questions involve interfacing pc hardware to arcade hardware, which is what the "main" forum is for.  

agreed.. " i know i'm new here "
the idea of a PC hardware Forum is weak... makes no sense... as i've seen' and read i've collected and asked questions...!!
but the question about PC hardware seems to be limited " it only involves VGA CARDS and MONITORS " that's why i think the whole PC hardware forum is a stupid idea... " also there is about 9999999 forums about PC HARDWARE...!! does it hurt to use more than one forum?

DOC...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 06:53:49 am by DOC »
Learn we must.. Use the force... Abuse blonde woes...!!

Pipercub

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2009, 10:59:48 pm
  • My living room is a F'n arcade
    • Subaru Brat
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2004, 12:57:17 pm »
I think that this site has coem to include allot of people who own dedicated machines as well as mame machines, I have a 50/50 mix myself. A forum for actual arcade hardware would be great. There aren't any forums out there that cover dedicated machines on the scale that this one covers emulated setups. With the large and growing dedicated machine populace it seems to make sense that we should help that grow. This board could be THE place for dedicated and emulated home owned arcades.

GroovyTuesdaY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2005, 03:22:18 am
  • "Follow the white rabbit! ....KNOCK KNOCK NEO...."
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2004, 01:51:46 am »
Mame or real arcade dedicated machines, does it matter? hehe  ITS ALL GOOD! HEEHEH
In the mighty words of the BEE GEES im-
"STAYIN' ALIVE, STAYIN' ALIVE!"
hehehe

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2004, 02:18:35 am »
I hate sticky threads.  The question of what computer do I need for mame is totally dynamic.  You need a 4 Ghz one for all the games in there now, but, of course, by the time you have a 4 Ghz machine you will need a 10 Ghz machine to run everything.  So....the answer needs updated once a year or so....no biggie.  

But honestly....how many of you will ever look in that thread?  The last thread I would ever want stickied is one that I would never open.  It just pushes important threads I would like to open toward the bottom of the page.  I'd rather have it out of the way in another forum than stickied in a forum I frequent.  Although, if nobody is going to visit the forum it shouldn't be created.

I vote for no change.  If you don't like the "once a week" PC Hardware question thread popping into your forum and cluttering things up, what makes you think you'd like the permanent-always-at-the-top-of-the-thread-asking-the-stupid-question-at-all-times-on-a-daily-basis sticky thread?  No change.  Hopefully the offenders will use informative subject lines and you can pass right over the thread without opening it.  Within a day you'll forget it was even there.  You'll have no such luck with a sticky thread.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2004, 07:24:09 pm »
Wow this is an old thread. I thought it was dead...

I didn't mean "what PC do I need?"

I meant hardware trouble shooting and other stuff similar to the "software" section.

Doens't matter much, though...

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2004, 06:56:08 am »
My $.02

I think there are more PC Hardware related questions asked then just "What PC do I need to run MAME?"

A few questions/topics I recall:

How do I power down my PC?
How do I power on the PC with one button?
What's a good soundcard to use?
Do I need a case or can I just mount the PC to the cabinet?
What type of fans do I need to keep the PC temp down?

Also:

Questions regarding PC Speakers (volume knobs, subwoofers, etc.)
Questions regarding connecting things to the Power Supply (trackball light, coin door lights, etc.)

I know there are more, but I can't remember right now. I do know that a couple weeks ago I was looking for something on the PC Hardware topic, and was thinking the same thing: "Why isn't there a Hardware forum?"

Only because I was having trouble finding the answers. Sometimes you find it in Main, sometimes in Video (pc video card related) and sometimes I find things in Software if it is a Windows/Hardware issue.

I do think we can cut down a lot of posts though...we need to have an EXTREMELY WELL WRITTEN FAQ! One that's part of the site (prominently placed), not just a link inside of a sticked topic.

::)

I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com