Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Getting CompUSA Crystal Trackball to work in XP..?  (Read 4287 times)

Bluepoint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2019, 03:47:32 am
Getting CompUSA Crystal Trackball to work in XP..?
« on: February 12, 2009, 12:21:47 am »
This might be lame, but I thought I'd ask...

I've recently upgraded my mame cab with a new computer running winXP. I finally got everything working well again, except for my old CompUSA Crystal Trackball/Mouse (listed under TRACKBALLS here -- http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_controls.shtml#CompUSA) that I hacked into the control panel.

It worked perfectly on my old windows 98 build but on this new computer it's a no go. First I had to get a ps/2 to usb adapter for the trackball as my new computer lacks ps/2 ports. Second, XP refused to recognize it as a mouse -- instead listing it as an HID (human interface device) and telling me it was working perfectly... which it obviously isn't. (although it does get power and light up properly, etc.)

I've tried tracking down a driver, reading posts about this particular trackball or about ps/2 to USB conversion and gotten basically nowhere.

It's starting to look like I might have to replace it with something else... But in order to do so I'll probably have to go in an redo my whole control panel because the layout can really only support a trackball this small (the hole in the panel for this trackball is only about 1 3/4 inches) which means a hell of a lot of sawing, cutting, drilling, nightmares and death.

So, as a last ditch effort, I thought I'd ask around here for any experts in winXP/ps-2 to usb/trackball alchemy. Any suggestions? Software drivers? Can I re-hack the hacked trackball with the innards from a newer mouse? Anything considered at this point.

Thanks,
BluepointVance

z

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2022, 01:14:24 pm
  • there will always be one more thing to tweak
    • arcademic hall
Re: Getting CompUSA Crystal Trackball to work in XP..?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:14:54 am »
I have the same trackball on an older system (win98) and connect it to the serial port using a ps/2 to serial adapter (the ps/2 port is occupied by home made spinner).  Does your new XP computer have a serial port?  Wondering if XP would see your trackball different if you used a ps/2 to serial port adapter on the trackball.
Lifetime Student at   Arcademic Hall  (uprights with a minor in cocktails)

wyzazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2009, 03:12:47 pm
  • This is my Kung-Fu, and it is strong!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:06:26 pm »
What about a PCI - PS2 adapter?  They are only around $10.00. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124061

Bluepoint

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 08:19:13 pm »
No serial port... But--

What about a PCI - PS2 adapter?  They are only around $10.00. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124061

I went ahead and bought one of these... keeping my fingers crossed that it'll work. Thanks!
I'll post back here once I get it installed.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:55:58 pm »
I recall the CompUSA trackball being a serial device, not PS/2. Was there more than one version of this trackball sold or are you using a serial to PS/2 adapter?

Bluepoint

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:11:34 am »
I recall the CompUSA trackball being a serial device, not PS/2. Was there more than one version of this trackball sold or are you using a serial to PS/2 adapter?

There were both serial and ps/2 versions of it. I've got the ps/2 one.

Bluepoint

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 05:17:13 am »
Just reporting back. Got the PS2 board from Newegg... worked like a charm! Thanks everyone!