Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fuses for fluorescent lights?  (Read 1230 times)

Necro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2022, 08:22:22 pm
  • Building a 'Classic' MAME Cab
Fuses for fluorescent lights?
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:37:48 pm »
My cabinet is going to have 2 fluorescent lights in it.  I'm still working out how exactly I'm going to wire these up, but should I put a fuse inline for the two of them, two fuses (one for each), etc?

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: Fuses for fluorescent lights?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:23:16 am »
If the AC in your cab is already fused there is no need to add fuses for the lights.

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 01:39:59 am »
If the AC in your cab is already fused there is no need to add fuses for the lights.

Correct, but if he is building his machine from scratch (IE with a PC, compy monitor, etc) then he may not have any real fuses set up. In this case, any custom AC wiring in the cab should have atleast one fuse. If anything this will prevent the breaker from tripping while playing a game. (We all know this would be the ULTIMATE evil!). Besides, for DIYers, an extra fuse on sub systems is never a bad thing (as it can help troubleshoot a wiring problem).
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

RandyT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:01:27 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 04:03:59 am »
Correct, but if he is building his machine from scratch (IE with a PC, compy monitor, etc) then he may not have any real fuses set up. In this case, any custom AC wiring in the cab should have atleast one fuse. If anything this will prevent the breaker from tripping while playing a game. (We all know this would be the ULTIMATE evil!). Besides, for DIYers, an extra fuse on sub systems is never a bad thing (as it can help troubleshoot a wiring problem).

If you need to rely on fuses to troubleshoot AC wiring problems, then you probably shouldn't be messing with AC in the first place. 

Hook everything in the cabinet through a good, breaker protected power strip and let it protect the whole cabinet.  The simpler (less connections) approach is usually the safer approach as there are less places for something to go wrong.

As Bob said, if the cabinet is already fused on the AC in, there's not much to be gained by adding fuses to the lights.

RandyT

Necro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 12:23:04 am »
I'm still determining how to run the AC to the lights.  I've decided to run a single power line in, have it attach into a junction box with an outlet to run a power strip off of for the PC/monitor.  However, the lights are pre-existing in the cab and I need to power those as well.  While I could wire them up (each) to a plug and go with it that way, it seems a bit...un-cab-like.  My original thought was to have lines to the lights run straight off a terminal strip wired from the junction box.

Reason I really ask about the fuses is I noticed them in stripping out the old power unit from the cab and was wondering if I should think about inlining a few into the wiring into the lights.  More an ICS type of thing instead of a definite need now.

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 01:47:35 am »
Randy brings up a good point, but I still say that if you are unsure (in which case Randy pointed out that you should have a professional do it instead) then put inline fuses in. Basically it works out this way: (In pseudo-code)

Const I_am_unsure = True(bool);

If I_am_unsure = True {

If randy = true {
    hire_a_professional();
   }

If protokatie = true {
    add_extra_protection();
   }

if cab_has_many_potentially_loose_wires_and_may_be_moved_often = true {
    add_extra_protection();
   }

}

If I_am_unsure = false {
   I_only_asked_this_question_for_clarity();
   Have_fun_wiring();
}

EDIT: Randy didnt actually say to hire a professional, but the way he pointed out about AC wiring, I would assume that if such was the case, he would suggest a licensed and insured professional.. (Not like Randy would have harped on me for presuming he would suggest such a thing, just adding for clarity)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:55:33 am by protokatie »
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:41:50 am
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 10:07:14 am »
run a line from the junction box but put a simple inline breaker between the box and the lights.
if you REALLY have your doubts buy some of those 12V LED marquee lights
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Necro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 06:39:59 pm »
Hehe, I can either run the fluor's to a plug then plug that into a power strip or I can run the fluor's to a terminal strip that's wired into the AC junction box I will put into the box.  The terminal strip is the only real difference and potential for issues in this entire setup, and my question more or less was this (as I'm realizing now)...

If you have a flourescent fixture that your converting from direct wired to plug in, do you need to add a fuse somewhere in line for any reason that I'm completely missing at this point in time?

RandyT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:01:27 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 07:57:02 pm »
If you have a flourescent fixture that your converting from direct wired to plug in, do you need to add a fuse somewhere in line for any reason that I'm completely missing at this point in time?

No.  The only "fuse" that would normally be used with that fixture would be the one the household circuit connected to in your homes distribution box.  More than likely, a circuit breaker in that case.  If your cabinet is properly wired, that same breaker would protect the whole cabinet , and anything else on that circuit.  When I say "properly wired", I mean proper connections, good insulation, a junction box and wire gauges appropriate for the loads they are intended to carry.  If in doubt, leave the plugs on your components and plug them all into into properly designed and industry approved, breaker protected power strips.

Also keep in mind that fuses and breakers are only useful for protection against direct short circuits and overloading.  I've had one very scary situation in one of my previous homes with a commercial Bunn coffee maker.  The plug was old and apparently in bad enough shape for the AC to arc between the prongs.  It wasn't enough of a short to trip a breaker / fuse, so it just arced and burned everything in-between.  Fortunately, I was right there when the smoke and fire started and yanked the cord (leaving one the charred prongs in the outlet.

A little off topic, but it illustrates why fuses can't be relied upon to always "save the day".  They only protect against one specific type of issue.  The best protection is knowing what you are doing and using safe and accepted practices, especially when handling AC line current.

Necro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 12:14:06 pm »
Thanks all.  And, Randy, that's what I plan on doing - following all the wiring guidelines/regs when doing the cabinet wiring.  I've actually gone through and rewired a number of the sockets/switches in my house as they were done quickly with the push in wiring 'holes' that are on them and I dislike the possibility that presents compared to a nice pigtailed connection on a screw terminal with electrical tape around it.