Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need help with JLF stick routing  (Read 3329 times)

Automaticher0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2009, 10:19:49 pm
Need help with JLF stick routing
« on: December 30, 2008, 11:19:44 am »
I just purchased some Sanwa JLF-TP-8T Ball Handle Joysticks. 

The specs are here:

http://lizardlick.com/pages/sanwa_jlf_faq.shtml

I need tips on routing my control panel to install these things, what bit to use/type of router.  Also, is it very difficult to get one of these things in if I have never routed before?

massive88

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
Re: Need help with JLF stick routing
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:46:24 pm »
My first foray into routing out material was putting in a JLF and buttons, so dont let it scare you, its not that bad.

What I did, was first drill the through hole that the shaft will be using.  Then you can insert the joystick, and trace the base in pencil on the underside of the wood.  If you need a little extra notch for the connection (I didnt routing out 1/2" depth into 3/4" stock) you can trace that as well.

Then with a Straight Mortising Bit set to the desired depth, start in the center of your hole and remove material in a circular manner.  Then watch closely as you get near your pencil marks, and try to just trace out the outline with your cuts.

Once satisfied, try dropping your joystick in, if it fits, good work!  If not, then carefully remove material until it does.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:07:39 pm »
What I would do (and what I'm intending to do for my future stick builds) would be to make a template.

Trace around the joystick base in a scrap piece of material and then cut out bulk with a jigsaw before cleaning up the edges with a straight bit and a guide.

Then drill the shaft hole in your CP and clamp/screw the template to the CP. You can then use the template with a [template bit] to route the relief. You will want to use a bit with a relatively small cutting length so that the bearing rides along the template.

You could free hand the notch or add it to the template profile.

The above may seem a bit long winded but you would end up with a nice clean recess and you can use the template again in the future.

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 03:42:38 pm »
Follow this. It's not too hard at all.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=51235.0

Encryptor