Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac-man restoration - Return from Doh!  (Read 100343 times)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Re: Pac-man restoration - Return from Doh!
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2009, 12:59:47 pm »
Inner plastic bezel has been acquired and should be here on Saturday.

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2009, 10:11:29 pm »
Orange t-molding arrived today

Level42 - I'll get some deatail photos of the joystick mounting this weekend for you.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2009, 11:13:52 am »

Bezel arrived on Saturday but the box was damaged in shipping.  One part of the bezel was cracked in half.  Also, the seller sent me a Ms. Pac bezel instead of a pac-man bezel.   :hissy:  The plexi I got from ThisOldGame is too large and does not fit.  I can cut the plexi (but would rather not) to fit, but are there other differences between the two bezels? 

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2009, 11:39:28 pm »
Got another delivery today:

Guess what it is...

Stencils!!!   

It's a little intimidating seeing all those sheets.  9 in total.  Red, blue, and black for each side.

Here you can see the comparison to a real cab for the level of detail:

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2009, 01:32:34 am »
Now that's the way to go, no freaking stickers !

Please document the process with lots of pics, I'm going to have to do some stencilling on my Joust cab sooner or later..... :D

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2009, 08:17:35 am »

Please document the process with lots of pics, I'm going to have to do some stencilling on my Joust cab sooner or later..... :D

Oh, you can guarantee there will be lots of photos!

orion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2009, 04:38:01 pm »
OK, so where did ya score those! Now we are on to the part that I have been waiting for!!! I have really been dying to see you get going on this considering how good you are with painting your cabs. I hated to put stickers on mine, and It will be great to see someone who really knows what they are doing document the process. If this paint job comes close to your Gorf it will be awsome!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2009, 05:16:56 pm »
Well, this will be my first attempt with Stencils.  Hopefully it will turn out well.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2009, 05:32:10 pm »
Well, this will be my first attempt with Stencils.  Hopefully it will turn out well.

I got faith in ya!  :)

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2009, 04:55:46 pm »

Very cool. Can't wait to see your progress pics. Quite resourceful....You just pulled a rabbit out of hat....as good Pac stencils like that are virtually impossible to get. Congrats!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2009, 11:46:31 am »

I have confirmed that the Ms. Pac-man bezel is different and won't work.  Yes, I could modify it to work, but with all the trouble I've gone through to get authentic parts, why do that.  I'm sure the seller will refund my money as I did specifically ask for pac-man.  Anyone have one for sale?  If not, I'll get one from two-bits (but I'd really rather not buy from them).

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2009, 12:15:51 pm »
Isn't the Galaxian one the same ? Maybe look for that ?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2009, 12:52:51 pm »
Isn't the Galaxian one the same ? Maybe look for that ?

Yes, Midway used the same one for Pac-man and Galaxian.  After that, they utilized the Ms. Pac version on all of their games (Tron, Satan's Hollow, Galaga, Spy Hunter, etc.).  Tapper and Timber had different bezel designs, so I guess they switched again at that point.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2009, 11:02:33 pm »
If I understand correctly the joystick is somewhat below the metal panel but not much, right ?. The bolts that hold the joystick to the wood look to be fixed on the wood as I can only see the two bolts that hold the wood to the metal CP on the top-side. Are the bolts that hold the joystick to the wood recessed ? What top do they have ?

Level42,
Here are some pictures of the underside of the wood:

The joystick just sits directly on the metal:

with these flat head screws going through the joystick and then through the wood:

These screws do not go through the metal panel, so they are not visible from the top

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2009, 11:06:21 pm »
I started stripping down the cabinet to prepare it for painting.  I ran into a snag when I went to remove the coin door.  The nuts holding it into place are buried into the wood:

The screws are part of the metal case around the coin door, so they do not turn.  I don't know how they got these nuts on so far?  This one in the picture is one of the better ones as the others are even farther into the wood.  I'm not sure how I'm going to get these out.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2009, 11:08:34 pm »

...and on a totally unrelated subject.  I got a nice delivery in the mail on Friday

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2009, 11:29:28 pm »
I'm not sure how I'm going to get these out.

Bent needle-nose pliers is how I do it.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2009, 04:12:17 am »

...and on a totally unrelated subject.  I got a nice delivery in the mail on Friday

{Insert MAJOR envy here} Where did you get those ? Is this from the last stock they have/had ?

I am seriously thinking about getting a couple of new monitors. While they last.

Thanks for the pictures Spyri !

For my Puckman I think I will go this way: I've scanned the CP. I hope I can find a kind soul to vectorize and restore the colors etc. It shouldn't be very hard as the artwork is very simple. Then I'll have mamemarquees print it. My major worry about that is getting the size and position of the holes correct.

So, the new art will be a vinyl CPO, I don't see any other way I can restore it.(I guess the ultimate would be a stencil set and then spraying but that would be _much_ more complicated.)

The bonus of using the vinyl is that I can cover all those tiny holes around the joystick which are so fugly.

Then, I could either mount it like the original pac, or I was thinking of I could get someone to weld some threaded post so I could directly mount it to the CP.... but it will probably be the first option.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 04:14:39 am by Level42 »

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2009, 11:51:46 am »
{Insert MAJOR envy here} Where did you get those ? Is this from the last stock they have/had ?

Yeah, this seems to be it from Happs for these monitors.  I ordered these several weeks back.  I got one universal mount which they had in stock and sent immediately.  The three shelf mounts were on back order.  They said once they got those in, that was the last of them.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2009, 06:13:30 pm »
I started stripping down the cabinet to prepare it for painting.  I ran into a snag when I went to remove the coin door.  The nuts holding it into place are buried into the wood:

The screws are part of the metal case around the coin door, so they do not turn.  I don't know how they got these nuts on so far?  This one in the picture is one of the better ones as the others are even farther into the wood.  I'm not sure how I'm going to get these out.

I have found that the easiest way to get nuts out that are embedded in wood like that is to go after them with vice grips.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2009, 06:15:04 pm »

Yeah, this seems to be it from Happs for these monitors.  I ordered these several weeks back.  I got one universal mount which they had in stock and sent immediately.  The three shelf mounts were on back order.  They said once they got those in, that was the last of them.

It's a shame they have done away with them, they are great monitors. Great score on getting the last ones produced.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2009, 09:00:56 pm »
I have found that the easiest way to get nuts out that are embedded in wood like that is to go after them with vice grips.

Some of them are so burried that I don't think I can get the grips on them.  I'll try the bent needle-nose as I think that will get it.  Maybe go with the vice grips on the ones that are higher up.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2009, 11:48:04 am »

Some of them are so burried that I don't think I can get the grips on them.  I'll try the bent needle-nose as I think that will get it.  Maybe go with the vice grips on the ones that are higher up.

Just be careful not to break those threaded posts, since they are welded to the frame you won't have many options if you break one.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2009, 01:51:40 pm »
I'm considering powder coating the control panel on this.  Since the overlay only covers a small portion of the control panel, I think powder coating will give it a nice look.  I'm not sure if there are any local powder coaters in the area.

I may try the DIY approach.  This link that was posted over in RetroACTIVE's Star Wars thread got me thinking about doing this.  I have access to a garage with an oven to perform the powder coating.  I need to do some more research on it.

Harbor Freight also has a gun available at a cheaper price (and probably quality), but $70 isn't a bad deal.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2009, 02:34:35 pm »
I'm considering powder coating the control panel on this.  Since the overlay only covers a small portion of the control panel, I think powder coating will give it a nice look.  I'm not sure if there are any local powder coaters in the area.

I may try the DIY approach.  This link that was posted over in RetroACTIVE's Star Wars thread got me thinking about doing this.  I have access to a garage with an oven to perform the powder coating.  I need to do some more research on it.

Harbor Freight also has a gun available at a cheaper price (and probably quality), but $70 isn't a bad deal.

If you do go with powder coating co. shop around. The local one in my area wanted $200.00 to powder coat my CPO and coin door and that price didn't include sandblasting/prepwork. Yet in other peoples threads here they seemed to get the same done for around $40.00. At the prices my local shop wants to charge I might have to look into one of those DIY sets myself eventually.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2009, 04:05:28 pm »

There's noting holding you back to "damage" the wood around the nut a bit. It's not like it has any function there. I think I used needle-nose pliers (is that the right word), but then the larger version. It was a PITA. (I'm talking about my Galaxian here, but the cabs are almost identical).

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2009, 08:54:46 pm »
Pac-man is naked!  Stripped it down today. 

Monitor,wire harness, power supply, PCB all removed: 

Speaker and light bulbs removed:

Coin door removed:

See, I told you it was originally a Pac-man!

Now it's ready to move into the garage for the body work!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2009, 08:57:20 pm »
On the left side of the cab, near the top there is a bolt that goes nowhere.  Doesn't come through to the inside. 

I don't think this is stock, but it appears to have some yellow paint on it?  Can anyone confirm if this should be there?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2009, 09:03:05 pm »
Let's take a look at the work I have ahead of me...

Coin door is in rough shape (but I have some experience restoring Midway coin doors)

Time to order a replacement logo plate:

Deep scratches on the side

Security bar holes

Flaking wood on the top and interior

Rough edges all over the place

Back door has a chunk taken out of it

I will use the old back door as a template for a new one.  I'll probably cut it out of plywood.

Lots of cosmetic work ahead of me, but nothing that can't be done.

WunderCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2009, 01:14:16 am »
Nope, no bolt should NOT be in that location. Looks like you have a nice bondo session ahead.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2009, 07:22:04 am »
Nope, no bolt should NOT be in that location. Looks like you have a nice bondo session ahead.

Yeah, I was 99% sure it didn't belong, but the yellow paint threw me.  I have no idea why it is there.

Time to pick up the large size bondo container for this one!

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2009, 02:48:45 pm »
I didn't realize that cab was in that bad of shape, but I'm glad to see your finally getting around to the good stuff!  :applaud: Hope you got a decent belt sander...

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2009, 10:32:22 am »
Sold the Arkanoid II PCB today.

Cab purchase $90 - PCB sale $60 = $30 for the cab.  Not a bad deal.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2009, 05:46:15 pm »

Hey... without going through the whole thread, I just pulled a whole box of Pac parts out of my shed... are there any parts you're still looking for?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2009, 04:06:39 pm »

Hey... without going through the whole thread, I just pulled a whole box of Pac parts out of my shed... are there any parts you're still looking for?

Yes, there is only 1 part that I still need.  I'm looking for the inner plastic monitor bezel.

WunderCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2009, 09:38:47 pm »
You may have to bite the bullet and go with a vendor that particular piece. Like twobits or mike's.

Mauzy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2009, 09:49:38 pm »
Thats that one piece that I need to make two of my cabinets complete, but I just can't make myself spend $60 after shipping (for both) for a little piece of plastic that you can barely see...
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2009, 09:19:48 am »
You may have to bite the bullet and go with a vendor that particular piece. Like twobits or mike's.

Mikesarcade only seems to have them for Galaga and Ms. Pac's.  They are only $25 at twobits, and will go that route if I can't find one.  Had one sent to me and it ended up being for a Ms. Pac and didn't fit.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2009, 09:20:59 am »
Thats that one piece that I need to make two of my cabinets complete, but I just can't make myself spend $60 after shipping (for both) for a little piece of plastic that you can barely see...

Yeah, but it does make a difference.  Really blocks out the outside of the monitor that you can still see through the bezel.  Wouldn't look right without it.  (that said, some black contruction paper would serve the same purpose)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2009, 10:20:47 pm »

Bezel has been acquired!