Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mag-stik Plus problem  (Read 5355 times)

gman314

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2013, 03:12:39 pm
Mag-stik Plus problem
« on: December 10, 2008, 09:55:21 pm »
Recently, I have been having complications with my Mag-stik.  Let me first state that it is a truly great and responsive piece of hardware.  However, sometimes when I want to switch from 8 way to 4 way (and vice-versa), the actuator doesn't easily activate the switching mechanism.  Twice in the past week, my actual joystick got disconnected from the base because I kept pulling up and turning (and the switch wouldn't activate).  This was a major pain, since the CP on my bartop needs to be accessed from its underside.  At this point, I have my joystick in 8 way mode, and I scared to switch it back!  Anybody else experiencing this problem or have any advice?

On a side note, when I originally disassembled the joystick to install it in my CP, I carefully followed the diagram (on ultimarc.com), and I couldn't locate the part on the diagram labeled "bush".  Since all the pieces fit and the joystick worked (and was somewhat easily switchable at that point), I did not think much of it.  Now I'm starting to think that this "bush" part may be the heart of the problem.  Could it be?

TelcoLou

• Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2010, 01:28:19 am
  • Playing video games since 1977
Re: Mag-stik Plus problem
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:24:15 pm »
" Now I'm starting to think that this "bush" part may be the heart of the problem."

That's what  :gobama said  ;D

But seriously; I looked at the diagram, and it looks like an integral part of the assembly, and shouldn't be missing.
So a leper walks into a bar and as he gets his beer, a finger falls off. The bartender who is serving him turns and pukes all over the place. The leper, feeling bad, says, "Was it my finger falling off?" The bartender turns to him and says, "No, it's the guy dipping chips into your back."

gman314

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 10:32:47 pm »
Well, how smooth exactly should the transition be from 4 - 8 way be?  For those of you that have experience with the Magstik plus, I'm going to try to describe what I'm experiencing as best as possible: 
You know how when you lightly pull up on the stick, how you can feel the shaft move about half and inch or so upward (where you actually feel the magnets)?  Well, if I rotate the shaft after lightly pulling, the actuator will not activate the switch.  In order for it to do so, I must pull up significantly harder on the shaft, while rotating (if I'm sitting down while playing, sometimes I need to actually stand up in order to apply the required amount of force to pull up and turn).  The problem with this is that, twice already, the joystick popped off from the base!  A major inconvenience  :angry:

If the apparently missing "bush" is the cause of the problem, does anybody know if I can order that piece without have to buy a whole other stick?     

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:18:10 pm »
The mag-stick plus shouldn't do that. I did take mine apart once to see if there was a way to kind of tweak the play in it and I had a very hard time getting it back together again to where it would work properly. If buy "bush" you mean the lock washer at the end of the shaft under the lock nut, then I don't think that matters much. The problem I was having was getting the spring and the square part that engages the mech back together in just the right order. Mine would just kind of spin and not engage the switching mech. For some reason getting that assembly back together again is more complicated than it looks, it took me about 30 mins to figure it out.

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 02:35:14 am »
Popped off from the base?! So the nut is coming off? IIRC it's a lock nut, so it definitely shouldn't be coming off.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 01:37:35 pm »
If these are essentially the same as the T-sticks, they shouldn't be that difficult. Plus, the 'switch' should be obvious: a noticable 'fitting' of the 'teeth' into the slots and then a definitive 'slunk' and 'stop'. If you don't feel it, don't keep turning. Turn back and try again. Regardless, it should be able to spin indefinitely and not come apart.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

daywane

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:14:04 pm
  • GRRRR!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 04:19:33 pm »
can you take pics?
I have a new "T"stick
never used.
( no offence, If you had more posts on been here longer I would just mail it to you to compair)
send me a picture and I will check I with mine.
daywane"at"yahoo.com

gman314

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 11:47:17 pm »
Unfortunately, I can't send a picture since I don't have a digital camera (and plus, it is such a pain to get to the underside of my CP), but a diagram is available at this link: 
http://www.ultimarc.com/controldiags.html

The only difference between mine and the diagram is that I don't think mine has the "bush".  Instead, the "rectangular washer", and all of the parts above it, attach onto the bottom part of the shaft.  As you can see, though, it seems as if the "shaft" and the "bush" are the same shape (so I'm not so sure what the problem would be). 
What I think is happening, is that when I pull up and turn on the stick, it loosens the "nut" at the bottom (and consequently, the stick gets disconnected from the base).  Does any of this seem to make sense?

Cute dog by the way, daywane.   :)

emerica

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:29:04 am
  • Goodtimes!
    • My ongoing projects
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 10:27:02 am »
the "shaft" and the "bush" are the same shape

can you say "shaft" and "bush" in the same sentence?

anyway it is part of the shaft (no pun intended). There should be no problem there.

What I think is happening, is that when I pull up and turn on the stick, it loosens the "nut" at the bottom (and consequently, the stick gets disconnected from the base).

make sure you have a nylock nut on the bottom. If not, then there is your problem. That nylock nut shouldn't loosen up during normal use.

edit: I have both a magstick plus and a t-stick plus. Neither of them have this so called "bush".
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 01:48:57 pm »
I am sure this can all be resolved very quickly by email:
andy@ultimarc.com
One possibility: there is a piece which is permanently bonded onto the end of the shaft using high-strength Locktite. This might have come loose although it should not as the Locktite is normally very strong.

daywane

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:14:04 pm
  • GRRRR!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 08:14:27 pm »
I am sure Andy wil get this fixed.
I would like to know what the problem was
thanks

flinxsl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2018, 03:27:25 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 03:26:14 am »
Well, how smooth exactly should the transition be from 4 - 8 way be?  For those of you that have experience with the Magstik plus, I'm going to try to describe what I'm experiencing as best as possible: 
You know how when you lightly pull up on the stick, how you can feel the shaft move about half and inch or so upward (where you actually feel the magnets)?  Well, if I rotate the shaft after lightly pulling, the actuator will not activate the switch.  In order for it to do so, I must pull up significantly harder on the shaft, while rotating (if I'm sitting down while playing, sometimes I need to actually stand up in order to apply the required amount of force to pull up and turn).  The problem with this is that, twice already, the joystick popped off from the base!  A major inconvenience  :angry:

If the apparently missing "bush" is the cause of the problem, does anybody know if I can order that piece without have to buy a whole other stick?   

Thanks from the future, this helped me figure out how to use it