Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Looking for a used cab in Nor Cal  (Read 2153 times)

Noodle_Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2003, 12:26:17 am
  • . . .
Looking for a used cab in Nor Cal
« on: June 18, 2003, 08:27:29 pm »
     I'm looking for a used cabinet.  Nothing fancy, since the plan is basically to gut it and use it for Mame + PS2/Xbox/Game Cube.  Slight damage is okay.

The paint job doesn't matter either.  I'm gonna strip it and repaint the cab with a Penny-Arcade theme to it.

I'm looking to spend around $100 - 175 on it.  If anyone knows where I can get a cab, or has one, it'd be a great help.  I'll pick it up, but no further than 150 miles from Fremont, CA (preferrably)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2003, 08:28:44 pm by Noodle_Boy »

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
Re:Looking for a used cab in Nor Cal
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 09:14:38 pm »
    I'm looking for a used cabinet.  Nothing fancy, since the plan is basically to gut it and use it for Mame + PS2/Xbox/Game Cube.  Slight damage is okay.

The paint job doesn't matter either.  I'm gonna strip it and repaint the cab with a Penny-Arcade theme to it.

I'm looking to spend around $100 - 175 on it.  If anyone knows where I can get a cab, or has one, it'd be a great help.  I'll pick it up, but no further than 150 miles from Fremont, CA (preferrably)

I used to see a lot of empty or non working cabs go for $50-$75 sold on ebay, from San Jose, San Fransisco, and (rarely) Oakland.  (I'm up near Berkeley.)  Do a browse by region.  The cheapest cabs are the pick on only/not shipped ones, since then you're only competing against other locals.

Hmm... doesn't look like any are on ebay at the moment.  I don't check ebay very much any more, since I got a PolePosition upright for $50 from the San Jose area that I'm too busy fixin'.  I don't know what's "normal" any more.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

PoDunkMoFo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 07:27:17 pm
  • If we weren't all crazy we would go insane... JB
    • Visual Horizons
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 12:41:53 am »
Hey Noodle,

Where in Nor-Cal?  I might have a couple ideas of where to start looking.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 01:18:51 am »

You are paying too much there (Unless it is a mint Williams cabinet with sideart, or a NICE newer 4 player cabinet). The price you mentioned is the average sale price for complete working 19" conversion games, not for empty cabinets.

Think $25-$50 for an empty converted cabinet, or $50-$100 for a dedicated empty cabinet.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Noodle_Boy

• Offline Offline
  • . . .
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 02:32:49 am »
   Yikes, I had no idea how much they were!  I'm very  new to the scene, as you might have gathered.   ;)

I'm in Fremont (between San Francisco and San Jose.)

traknfieldSUPAstar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2011, 07:34:52 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 02:44:06 pm »
There's a super auction happening on the june 28th at the santa clara fair grounds in san jose... you might be able to find a cheap working or empty cab there...

Noodle_Boy

• Offline Offline
  • . . .
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 07:02:27 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll let you know what I found!

traknfieldSUPAstar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 11:06:31 pm »
here's the link to their site... http://www.superauctions.com/selling.html

IIOIOOIOO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2003, 02:18:12 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 10:44:25 am »
Just hold on to your money till the end. That's when they auction the dead stuff etc. You should be able to pick up something quite nice for $25-$50.

traknfieldSUPAstar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2003, 02:37:35 pm »
ahhhh....no wonder.... my friends went to an arcade auction a couple of months ago and they said that the cheapest machine they saw that got sold was $200 but they left early.... i was wonderin if they even sold empty/broken down cabs