Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Games with multiple spinners  (Read 7433 times)

clhug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 10:49:58 pm
MAME Games with multiple spinners
« on: November 21, 2008, 10:29:30 pm »
Looking at adding spinners to my control panel.  Are there any games (MAME only) that use multiple spinners?  Could be either multiple players each with a single spinner, or single player with multiple spinners.

Thanks!

erictrumpet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2016, 11:59:23 am
Re: MAME Games with multiple spinners
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:38:02 am »
Blasteroids and Puzz Loop are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Eric.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 02:23:35 pm »
You can use MAWS to get a full list.  Choose advanced search and enter the control type (dial or paddle) and number of players.  Probably want to try a few variables to see all possible choices.  IE simultaneous players, players, alternating etc. 

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 03:12:29 pm »
I recall trying PONG but couldn't get it to work with my spinner? Does that game not support it?

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 03:13:25 pm »
Puzz Loop? Really? I'm pretty sure that's 1 player at a time only...

Forgotten Worlds
Pong
NO MORE!!

erictrumpet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2016, 11:59:23 am
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 03:18:52 pm »
Nope, Puzz Loop has a 2 player mode with split screen. It's fun - if you have a second spinner lying around, I think it's worth sticking it in a CP for that game. And Blasteroids is fun too - especially 2 player. Also, I never found that crappy and cumbersome MAWS search engine of any value whatsoever, maybe I am just using it wrong.

Eric.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 03:22:02 pm »
Warlords (4 spinners).  
Off the Wall (has Joystick option however).
Forgotten Worlds (RayB mentioned but to add to that, they double as "fire" so you'd need two "push/pull" or just "push" spinners).
Super Sprint and similar that control with 360 wheels.

Honestly, very few games so unless you have an absolute favorite (like Eric pointed out), it's not a necessity to have more that one spinner.  

clhug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 03:58:28 pm »
You can use MAWS to get a full list.  Choose advanced search and enter the control type (dial or paddle) and number of players.  Probably want to try a few variables to see all possible choices.  IE simultaneous players, players, alternating etc. 

Thanks for the pointer.  I checked out MAWS and was able to look up dial and paddle games that have multiple simultaneous users.  What I can't figure out how to search for is if there are any that use multiple spinners for a single player (or multiple players where each player has multiple spinners).  Anybody know of any games like that?

Thanks again!

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 04:26:13 pm »

Thanks for the pointer.  I checked out MAWS and was able to look up dial and paddle games that have multiple simultaneous users.  What I can't figure out how to search for is if there are any that use multiple spinners for a single player (or multiple players where each player has multiple spinners).  Anybody know of any games like that?

Thanks again!

I'm not sure if MAWS can do that.  NOP may be along to suggest Romlister though.  I haven't used it so I can't say if it can do that.  I think using MAWS, along with KLOV, will be able to at least move you in the right direction. 

For example, Ivan Stewarts can have 3 players at one time on three different spinners (wheels) and Warlords is 4.  MAWS shows each as 3P sim and 4P sim respectively.  Others will show as 2P alt. Not sure a better way to show it though.   :dunno

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 04:39:44 pm »

What I can't figure out how to search for is if there are any that use multiple spinners for a single player (or multiple players where each player has multiple spinners).  Anybody know of any games like that?

Etch-a-Sketch: The Arcade Game  ;D

Seriously, I personally haven't heard of or seen any "2 spinner per player" games, and if there are any at all I'd be interested in seeing it.   

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 01:19:53 pm »
FWIW, there are only two games in mame that use the "vertical" spinner (IPT_DIAL_V, as mame calls spinners "dial" or "dial_v"), and only one of these games has both dial and dial_v: dragrace & offtwall, respectively.  However, offtwall has the dial and dial_v on different players, and I don't why either of the games aren't just using the normal dial input.

This doesn't mean there are no arcades that etch-a-sketched.  Not only are not all games in mame yet, but if an etch-a-sketch game was in mame, the controls could have been mis-documented as either a trackball or as player 1 and player 2 dials.

Still, I find it hard to think of a game theme that would have two spinners per player, except for an etch-a-sketch game.  I too would be interested in seeing the CP if there was one.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

clhug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 05:41:59 pm »
Thanks for all feedback everyone!  Looks like just one spinner for now.  The GGG TurboTwist High-Low is on the way along with the Tron handle.  STill have to get a stick to mount the Tron handle on at some point though. :)

driph

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2018, 01:40:02 am
    • driph.com/words
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 07:32:58 pm »
Two Tigers is another two-player two-spinner title.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 08:39:54 pm »

It looks like it's two yokes on the dedicated (one per player).  Otherwise, it seems like a game that can be emulated quite well with a trackball for each player (or even analog joystick).  I'm just guessing though.  I know very little about that game and what I gathered was from KLOV. 

The cab looks like it'd be a pretty cool find since the dedicated came with an 8-track tape.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 12:53:31 pm »

It looks like it's two yokes on the dedicated (one per player).  Otherwise, it seems like a game that can be emulated quite well with a trackball for each player (or even analog joystick).  I'm just guessing though.  I know very little about that game and what I gathered was from KLOV.

Yeah, there were two cabs: dedicated & tron conversion.  The tron conversion used two spinners, the dedicated used analog yokes.  They used different ROMs and mame emulates both, including each set having the correct input types.

IMO, spinner is a better control for this game: spinners translate naturally to turn clockwise/conterclockwise, but TB & stick are "left" & "right" on the intuitive level, which needs to be translated to right & left, or up & down, or down & up, depending which direction the plane is flighting.  Sure, people who do remote control cars/planes/helicopters as a hobby are probably better at this translating, but I used to have remote control cars, and once in a while I'd crash because I pushed the stick the wrong dirrection because I didn't translate correctly.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Necro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2022, 08:22:22 pm
  • Building a 'Classic' MAME Cab
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 09:33:42 am »
My personal opinion is that two (or more) spinner's aren't just for two games - it's also for the different types of spinner's available.

I'm going to have a spinner CP (possibly with a trackball) for use on my cab because I want an arkanoid spinner and a straight up regular 'free' spinner as well.  With some tweaking, this should also let me play 2 spinner games, though one of the spinner's will always be sub-optimal in that game.  I think it's a good trade off to be able to play Arkanoid on an Arkanoid spinner.

Edglaf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 03:38:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2024, 03:00:36 am »
Warlords (4 spinners). 
Off the Wall (has Joystick option however).
Forgotten Worlds (RayB mentioned but to add to that, they double as "fire" so you'd need two "push/pull" or just "push" spinners).
Super Sprint and similar that control with 360 wheels.

Honestly, very few games so unless you have an absolute favorite (like Eric pointed out), it's not a necessity to have more that one spinner. 

Arkanoid Returns