Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Quick Q: converting back to DK worth it?  (Read 1095 times)

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
Quick Q: converting back to DK worth it?
« on: September 26, 2008, 01:20:20 pm »
I may have an opportunity to get one of several DK cabs that have been converted to other games. I'm trying to get details on them. I'm guessing the DK artwork hasn't been covered since this person knows they are DK cabs, but I'm also guessing that I'd at least need to redo the CP because it probably has extra buttons or whatever.

So while I wait for more details, I'd like to know from you DK experts if this would be a worthwhile project from a cost-effectiveness standpoint. How hard/expensive is it to get all the boards, harnesses, etc.?

I'm not in a big rush to get a DK, but I'm ready to act on a good deal, and it is #1 on my wish list.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Re: Quick Q: converting back to DK worth it?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 02:08:50 pm »
If you look at the restore section and projects section I'm betting over 80% started with just the cab and had to buy all the other components.

DK,DK jr, MS. PAC and  Galaga are good projects with just the cab.  All the parts you need are readily available.

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:12:41 pm »
Thanks for that advice, 2600. It's not as promising as it initially sounded though. Turns out there's only 1 DK cab, and this is what she said about the condition:

I don't see anything that would go with it like the control panel, front glass, header, etc.  I had sold some of that stuff a couple of years ago separately.

I'm guessing that means literally the only "DK" about it is the wood and the side art (and I still don't even know how good the condition is of that), so that means it's not a good starting point, right? Probably just need to keep watching for something that's a little more complete than that.

Any other thoughts on what the minimum condition of a DK cab would be to be worth taking on as a project? Kind of hypothetical now, but since DK is #1 on my wish list it would be helpful to be able to make a fast decision the next time an opportunity presents itself.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:51:44 am
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 12:01:46 am »
I would probably not get one that requires too much work unless it is free. It will get pretty expensive to buy everything to fix it up. If you can get a solid cabinet with a good monitor for say $50 it might be worth it. Any more than that I think you would be better off buying a working one. The DKs are expensive at $500 these days, so I wouldn't want to spend too much. I might end up restoring mine one of these days, but it already has all the parts (including new side art waiting to be applied) and I got it for $150. Honestly though, I doubt that will happen as long as it stays working. I would rather just play it for now. I wouldn't want to put more into it (money and labor) than it is worth. Mention that you are looking for one to a lot of people and you will find one.

In the end, just get it off of your wish list and into your game room. I thought I was happy playing on my MAME cab, but the experience on an original cabinet is much better.

Enough chatting, I'm going to go play so I can try to beat your score.  :cheers: