Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone have a Leapster for their kids?  (Read 1577 times)

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Anyone have a Leapster for their kids?
« on: September 04, 2008, 01:57:22 pm »
My son is turning 4 in December and for his birthday or Christmas we were think of getting him one.  Still have to look into whether we are getting a Leapster or a Leapster 2

Anyone else have one?

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Anyone have a Leapster for their kids?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 02:11:13 pm »

My kids had a couple of them.  They liked them but both progressed past them really fast and liked regular books a lot better.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 02:18:32 pm »
Yeah, my son loves books, but can't read yet.  I think we were also thinking that it would be a good gift when we takes trips.
I'd love to get him a DS, but I think he is too young for it.

I have another son who is 15 days old, so he could probably get the hand me down without any problems.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 02:24:45 pm »
Yeah, my son loves books, but can't read yet.  I think we were also thinking that it would be a good gift when we takes trips.
I'd love to get him a DS, but I think he is too young for it.

I have another son who is 15 days old, so he could probably get the hand me down without any problems.

If he's 4 he may not be too far off from reading.  Both my kids could read at 4.  I don't think the Leapster had anything to do with it, more that my wife is a preschool teacher, but they did use the Leapster some.  I imagine the Leapsters are better now than they were 3-4 years ago, too. 

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 02:27:16 pm »
That's true.  He know his letters and is asking about what each word is.  He just started Preschool 2 so maybe that will part of the curriculum as well as what we do at home.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 02:30:16 pm »
That's true.  He know his letters and is asking about what each word is.  He just started Preschool 2 so maybe that will part of the curriculum as well as what we do at home.

We found that if you give them a reason to want to read they will learn it fast.  It can't be unrelated rewards like "if you read this I'll give you ice cream" but has to be something that leads them to more reading.  Both of my kids were rabid about learning to read because they needed it to play the console games we were giving them.  Menu screens, storylines, etc.  E rated reading heavy games for the N64, mostly.

Take THAT "videogames are bad for the kids " people!   :laugh2:

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 04:41:25 pm »
Video games are very useful.  I plan on using my DS instead of the TI-85 calculator for school.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 05:05:53 pm »
My wife bought my daughter a lot of different electronic gadgets. Lots of different books that sit in cradles and talk, bears that read books, so much different crap that I'm inclined to say we have Leapster but I don't even know which one it is.
She doesn't seem to be too taken with gadgets, but will sit and look at books pretending to read (she's 3) and loves things like tape and that tacky crap you stick notes up with. It's like Play Dough that doesn't harden up.

I've noticed other kids in the family that prefer imaginative play instead of the electronic stuff. I guess every kid is different, but my opinion is that those types of things can be fun but don't really hold a kids attention for very long.

Mauzy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 11:26:12 pm »
Video games are very useful.  I plan on using my DS instead of the TI-85 calculator for school.

What school will allow this? Its a good thing they don't allow it here. I would have to be explaining how New Super Mario Bros was a calculator simulator on a daily basis...
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."