Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How often have you needed to access your CP?  (Read 1991 times)

ratzz

• Trade Count: (0)
How often have you needed to access your CP?
« on: September 23, 2008, 05:20:15 pm »
I've read a few times that some guys suggest having a removable control panel for maintenance.

My CP will not be removable, and my U360 will be sunken under my CPO and plexi, and I really don't fancy having to remove all that to replace something. I will be able to access things, but space may be tight.

How often have you guys needed / ever had to replace a U360's, buttons or micro-switches for failing?

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: How often have you needed to access your CP?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 05:31:19 pm »
Mine isn't a box, it's just the top and a flip-up front panel:

________
           °|

I have volume and admin buttons hidden under it. I just flip it up and reach under. I never really need access for much, though. Mine can easily come off and swap with another panel. I just have two bolts with wingnuts at the back holding it on.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:25:23 am
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 05:55:51 pm »
As long as you can get under there to do some maintenance in the event something stops working then you are probably OK.  That said, I'd still recommend you make it removable since it will be easier to deal with in the long run.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:07:45 pm »
As long as you can get under there to do some maintenance in the event something stops working then you are probably OK.  That said, I'd still recommend you make it removable since it will be easier to deal with in the long run.

Can't agree more. As soon as you make something permanent - it'll break.

ratzz

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 06:23:37 pm »
Mine isn't a box, it's just the top and a flip-up front panel:

________
           °|

I have volume and admin buttons hidden under it. I just flip it up and reach under. I never really need access for much, though. Mine can easily come off and swap with another panel. I just have two bolts with wingnuts at the back holding it on.

This is what I'd though about doing Ginsu, but using dowels as a the pivot point at the front of the CP to lift it over like a 'door'.

The only issue I was worried about was securing the top side in the down position. I thought about cupboard magnets, but didn't think these would hold very well during vigorous play.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 06:51:21 pm »
You should use some cocktail spring clips or whatever they are called.  I initially used industrial strength velcro to hold the CP of Bella's Arcade in place.  It was rock solid at first but after only a few short months I noticed some movement and it got to the point where it was distracting me from playing.  I removed the velcro and installed the clips (which was a gigantic pain since I didn't initially plan for them - it seriously took me about 5 hours to figure out and install) and the thing doesn't move at all - it is like it is glued in place.  The best part is that if I ever have to fix a crimped connection or something it will be very easy to do.

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2024, 02:39:35 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 07:01:10 pm »
Do you mean the cocktail glass clips?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 07:13:10 pm »
No - I mean the latch thingies:

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 09:24:16 pm »
Do you mean the cocktail glass clips?

WTF?   Those glass clips are $28 for a set of 8!  Who the ---fudgesicle--- would buy those at that price?  There's nothing even mechanical about them.  They're just bent metal.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 09:31:24 pm »
WTF?   Those glass clips are $28 for a set of 8!  Who the ---fudgesicle--- would buy those at that price?  There's nothing even mechanical about them.  They're just bent metal.
Isn't that what they've costed for a long time? I think so. I agree, it's a bit spendy, but you pretty much have to have'em!

Necro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2022, 08:22:22 pm
  • Building a 'Classic' MAME Cab
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 10:32:02 pm »
I'm very interested in how people are securing down their CP's as well.  I know of the latch things, since they are commonly used in cabs, but I was wondering if people were using things that allow for an easier/quick removal of the CPs for swapping.

In regards to the original question, if your not swapping, I'd say you need access to repair/troubleshoot of something goes wrong.  OR if you want to add/replace a control. 

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 08:33:20 am »
I'm very interested in how people are securing down their CP's as well.  I know of the latch things, since they are commonly used in cabs, but I was wondering if people were using things that allow for an easier/quick removal of the CPs for swapping.

The latches are the quickest way. You just reach up through your coin door and pop the latches, then unplug whatever wires are running to your CP.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a panel that plugs in when it is attached.

G1zm0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2020, 06:57:58 am
  • cute by day, devil by night
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 09:49:10 am »
ive put some screw insert brackets on 4 points of my cp, and i just screw the bolts in from the top.

keeps it from coming up if sticks are pulled up, the other can only be released with latches from within the cab