Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Such Thing As A Semi-Shop?  (Read 3509 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
Such Thing As A Semi-Shop?
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:13:03 am »
Alight...stupid question likely,  but I have a Spy Hunter that needs to be shopped.  I have the rubber for it,  but I am working on my Lightning currently and don't want both pins down, etc.  I figure it'll be a month or two before I can get to the Spy Hunter.   Would it be beneficial to semi-shop it...pull off the glass and spend some time cleaning the exposed playfield,  perhaps wax, etc.... but without removing parts or rubber for now.

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
Re: Such Thing As A Semi-Shop?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 01:33:16 pm »
Yes you can. If you have some Novus, go ahead and clean the old rubbers where they are for now.
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 01:37:39 pm »
My brother works for a truck repair company. 

He can hep you with your Semi.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:04:34 pm »
Yes you can. If you have some Novus, go ahead and clean the old rubbers where they are for now.

I've never had good luck on rubbers with novus.  I use Wildcat rubber cleaner there... works great.

Frizz, "shop" is just a word, man.  Anything you do to clean some of the game up is a positive.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:17:01 am »
Most ops consider wiping easily accesible chunks of playfield with novus a complete shop job. So, technically you ARE doing a full shop!  ;D

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 05:24:19 pm »
When I did my Fan-Tas-Tic, I only removed parts on the playfield down near the front where it was dirtiest and most visible.  For the rest I just removed the rubbers and cleaned and waxed carefully around the posts.  Fortunately, the previous owner had recently replaced the rubbers; I only had to change the worn shooter tip and the flipper rubbers (because he used the wrong color).

So it plays well and looks good, but if I sold it I wouldn't claim it as being "fully shopped".

Besides, over-cleaning can be more destructive than helpful... trying to fix my backglass made it worse, and trying to take out swirl marks damaged the finish.  Sharidan and ChadTower tried to warn me about that but I had to learn the hard way...
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com