Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Renaming snapshot files that don't match their corresponding ROM's  (Read 18228 times)

TheManuel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist
MAME has the benefit of a well established naming convention.  This makes it easier to find a set of snapshot images that will be sure to match the roms you have and MaLa or any other front-end ususally does not have a problem showing snapshots for your roms.
However, consoles rom names usually go by the GoodX convention.  I found and excellent collection of console snapshots here:
http://no-intro.dlgsoftware.net/main.php?modulo=descargas&contenido=packs&lang=1
The problem I am finding is that the snapshot names seem to follow the GoodX convention but the games don't exactly match.  For one thing, none of the snapshots include [!] in their names which pretty much causes a mismatch with most of my roms.

I'm wondering waht folks here have generally done with their console snapshots.

One potential action that could eliminate most of the incompatibility between rom and snapshot names is if MaLa would match them by ignoring everything between brackets and parenthesis.  That way, you don't have to worry about having snapshots for a country different that the rom you have, etc.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:58:58 am by TheManuel »
"The Manuel"

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2017, 08:22:27 pm
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
Re: What does everyone do for console snapshots?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 11:50:00 am »
I had offered up the task of writing a renaming tool to help with this job:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=82175.0

but it never really went anywhere.  I'd just need a couple dumps of the files in the folders you want to rename, and a list of the files you want them renamed to.  There may be renaming tools out there already that do this-I haven't had the need for such a thing, since I only have a vertical monitor in my machine and thus are not using any console emulators. 

-jeff!

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 02:04:33 pm »
I take it there is not much motivation for your to flesh out the idea into an actual application?
Is there a way to do this with a few lines on a batch file?
Would you be willing to provide the instructions on how to do it?

You gave me a glimmer of hope but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for the feedback.
"The Manuel"

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:01:09 pm »
oh I'm totally up for writing such a thing-I just never got the lists of files that I needs to create a test bench for the application.

If you can dump out the required file lists that I need to get started on, I can likely wip a prototype up in a few days.

-jeff!

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 10:44:03 pm »
NOP-

Please get a avitar  ;D

You are an important person and without one you blend into the crowd   ;)

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 08:50:46 am »
Thank you NOP.
I'll be happy to volunteer when I get home tonight.
I'll go by the instructions in the post you linked to and come ask questions if I get stuck.
"The Manuel"

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 09:54:55 am »
NOP-

Please get a avitar  ;D

You are an important person and without one you blend into the crowd   ;)

heheh.  I never even noticed-I have them turned off for my preferences, since I do a lot of posting/surfing here while I'm at work, and there's nothing that screams "I'm not working!" more than a bouncing avatar of some video game character on my screen. ;)

Now the pressure is on for me to come up with something....

-jeff!

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 10:29:21 pm »
Alright.

Here is some raw material.  I went a little overboard and generated lists for all of my systems in case you might find some more useful than others.  The Atari 2600 snap set list I included might not conform very strictly to the GoodX format so it might be more challenging than the rest.

Let me know if you need anything more.

"The Manuel"

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 11:13:59 pm »
I never even noticed-I have them turned off for my preferences, since I do a lot of posting/surfing here while I'm at work, and there's nothing that screams "I'm not working!" more than a bouncing avatar of some video game character on my screen. ;)
Now the pressure is on for me to come up with something....
-jeff!

How about a work related icon  :dunno

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 09:58:06 am »
Alright.

Here is some raw material.  I went a little overboard and generated lists for all of my systems in case you might find some more useful than others.  The Atari 2600 snap set list I included might not conform very strictly to the GoodX format so it might be more challenging than the rest.
Let me know if you need anything more.

They're perfect.  I've got a good chunk of the GUI finished and it is currently matching filenames.
It's at this point where I start thinking of all the bells and whistles the thing could have, but I should probably get something functional and limping first.   Stay tuned. 

-jeff!

That air raiders blank spot is interesting, plus it looks like we're renaming 4 air raiders png files to the same rom name.  Obviously only the first one will work, is that ok?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:53:09 am by NOP »

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 01:59:58 pm »
Holy crap.  Already?  I'm glad we're paying you by the hour  ;D

That air raiders blank spot is interesting, plus it looks like we're renaming 4 air raiders png files to the same rom name.  Obviously only the first one will work, is that ok?
I can't quite read the filenames in the screen you posted but I get the gist of it.
You won't see me complaining.  I'm just glad you were so nice to do this for us.
For that Air Raiders example, you could not figure which is which even if you are doing it manually so we can expect the algorithm to figure it out either.

Right now for some of those emulators, the majority of the snapshots are not showing so even if half of them cannot be matched this is still a huge step forward.
"The Manuel"

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 02:20:41 pm »
here's a first stab:

http://www.waste.org/~winkles/fuzzyRename/FuzzyRename.zip

Here's how it works:

Click the browse button under "files to rename" point this to your snaps or video files.
Click the browse button under "get filenames" point that to your ROMs folder

wait.

wait some more

wait even more (I'll be working on the speed issue in the future)

It should then show a list of the old and new filenames, which you can sort and examine the results.

Press the "create .bat" button and it'll write a "renameit.bat" file in your snaps folder (the first folder you pointed the app to)

then go to your snaps folder and either edit the batch file or 2x click on it to run it to rename your files. (you may need to associate a .bat file to run under the command prompt-stupid windows, or launch a dos shell there to run it)

Anyway, this first version creates a batch file instead of just renaming the files directly so you can edit it first and make changes if needed. 

In the future, I can see you 2x clicking on any entry that you want to change and being able to edit it directly.

The "ignore everything in () and []'s" checkbox improved the accuracy quite a bit, so I wouldn't mess with it if I were you.

Comments welcome-I think we can do a lot with this little app.

-jeff!

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 02:38:37 pm »
Fantastic.
This will be useful to a lot of people here.
I really appreciate your taking the time to do that.
I'll give it a try tonight and report back.

I take it that it will create a single snapshot file per game since it is ignoring all the bracketed text, right?  This would certainlly be fine.  Especially if your romsets are wittled down from the full GoodX set.

Thank you very much.
"The Manuel"

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 03:53:27 pm »
I take it that it will create a single snapshot file per game since it is ignoring all the bracketed text, right?

Ya know, I think I'm working this backwards!  You'll likely get some decent results from this (make backups!!) but I think I need to reverse the methodology I'm using.

Currently, I take every png file (the 1st browse-to folder) and try and find a matching ROM name for it, then I rename the png files to the ROM names.  This results in a lot of png files getting renamed to the same name. 

What I should do instead is scan through every ROM name (the 2nd browse-to folder) and try to locate a matching .png for it instead.    Silly me.  I've worked on this all day and it didn't dawn on me til just now.

well, I did want to do some more work on it, so I guess I'll start that now!

oh, and to actually answer your question:

You'll still end up with your png files named with [!] and (USA) stuff.  I don't touch the ROM names themselves, I only use them for the filename we want, so if your ROM file has (Japan) [!] in it, so will the resulting .png files.  The GUI will show you what it wants to do, and it'll make sense when you see it, I think.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:57:01 pm by NOP »

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 05:11:03 pm »
You'll still end up with your png files named with [!] and (USA) stuff.  I don't touch the ROM names themselves, I only use them for the filename we want, so if your ROM file has (Japan) [!] in it, so will the resulting .png files.  The GUI will show you what it wants to do, and it'll make sense when you see it, I think.
That's what I thought it did.  I tried to say that, because the brackets are ignored in the matching process, you would probably end up with one snap file for a game disregarding all its regional and dump variants. 
This would be fine but it sounds like you will get to be even better by looking at ROM names first.
One problem you may have to work around if you go that route is that you will have several variants of the same game wanting to rename the same png file.  In this case one would overwrite the other and you would end up in the same situation as Air Raiders in your example below. 
One alternative solution to this is to have the application copy and rename an image file if that image file has already been targeted for renaming by a previous variant of the same game.
I'm having trouble putting the idea in words so I'm not sure expressed all of that correctly.

Of course, you have already done quite a bit so I'm not even suggesting you do this if it adds too much complexity.

Thanks.
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 05:14:13 pm »
Of course, my suggestion above would mean that you end up with a bunch of new files but I think most people would not mind that.
"The Manuel"

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »
http://www.waste.org/~winkles/fuzzyRename/FuzzyRename2.zip

Not much new as far as functionality, but it now scans through the roms folder and attempts to find a match for every file it finds from the snaps folder - the way it should have worked from the start.  (not much free time today to tinker with it)

In the window, it now displays the ROM name, the best matching file of the .png's, and then what it would like to rename the file to.  You'll probably have to stretch the window out quite a bit to see everything.

Pressing the button still creates a batch file to do the actual renaming.

ROMs that have no matching .png below a certain threshold will have blanks.

Todo:
1) I'd like to see something like a 2x click the target filename and you can type any adjustments in by hand or something.

2) Ability to right click/del key entries out of the list altogether in case the match is totally wrong.

3) a way to restart things on a different set of folders.  I think right now it'll just keep appending to the list.

4) maybe a slider bar for accuracy of the matches.  Right now it's hard-coded to "match value" of 1.25 (out of 2.0 maximum) and anything below that gets a blank in the list.  Even that sometimes throws a weird one into the mix, especially very short ROM names.

5) better speed.  I end up scanning every file in the pngs against every file in the ROMs, and I could most certainly stop scanning as the "match value" starts falling away, since the names are all alphabetical.

6) direct renaming from the GUI, no batch file.

7) ? your input here.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 05:50:58 pm »
That sounds great.

You have the core funcionality down.  This is probably what most people will be using anyway.  I don't know if I will through thousands of ROMs to verify if I like the name fuzzyrename chose.  I will simply trust its selections and perhaps take a look through some of my favorite games on each system.

I really appreciate it.
I will give it a try tonight and see how it goes.
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 09:37:43 am »
Reporting back from the battlefield:

Atari 2600
ignoring brackets:
matched about 270 of 2687 games
not ignoring brackets:
matched 1559 of 2687 games
renamed 1104 of 2945 snaps

N64:
not ignoring brackets:
matched 334 of 323 games
renamed 318 of 883 snaps

I will test some more between today and tomorrow but it seems like if you ignore the brackets, you come up really short.  I only did the ignore brackets test on the 2600 set which was the messiest so that is probably an extreme example.  I'll re-do the N64, which is a much cleaner set, with that option to see if gets as many matches as I posted above.  However I'm not seeing why I would want to check that box.

The "ignore everything in () and []'s" checkbox improved the accuracy quite a bit, so I wouldn't mess with it if I were you.
What did you mean by improved accuracy?

I'm curious as to what you have to say about that but it seems to me like you already have a working tool. 
It was a pleasure scrolling through my 2600 list and seeing snapshots show up for a third of my games where before, only an occasional snap would show once in a full moon.  As for the N64, almost all of the games now have matching snapshots.  In fact, scrolling through the list I was able to find a remake of Asteroids for the N64 with 3D graphics that actually looks very cool and plays very much like the original.

Finally, if you get really serious about this tool in the future, here is a possibility I had not mentioned before.  The website I provided that has the full sets of console snapshots, actually has the files named as the CRC value of the rom that they used to take the snapshot.  They provide a tool which I used to then rename the snapshots from the CRC to the GoodX name of the rom in a Romcenter style file they provided as well.
A possibility for a tool like the one you just created would be to load the names of the snaps in their original rom CRC names.  Then each zipped rom file could be scanned to build a database of the CRC's of each rom.  Finally, each snap that has a matching rom CRC can be renamed to that rom's name.  Any snaps that did not get a matching CRC could then be sent to the fuzzy renaming algorithm to attempt to get additional matches.

The above is just a thought exercises.  I'm already set with the tool you created as is.

Thank you very much for putting that together.
"The Manuel"

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 10:24:23 am »
Reporting back from the battlefield:

Atari 2600
ignoring brackets:
matched about 270 of 2687 games
not ignoring brackets:
matched 1559 of 2687 games
renamed 1104 of 2945 snaps

N64:
not ignoring brackets:
matched 334 of 323 games
renamed 318 of 883 snaps

I will test some more between today and tomorrow but it seems like if you ignore the brackets, you come up really short.

That's really interesting!

Basically that checkbox is there because I found that sometimes the stuff inside the ()[]'s were messing up a match:

CompuMate (1983) (Spectravideo) (PAL)
vs.
CompuMate (Spectravideo & Universum) (PAL) [!]

With the checkbox set, it compares:
CompuMate
vs.
CompuMate

Which is obviously going to get a better match than the above.

Just in writing this, I realize there is a bug in that very code though.  The next release (today) will fix this and you should start getting better numbers with the checkbox set again.

I'll also be working on a number of the other issues I brought up, and the CRC stuff you mention will hopefully get some thought time too.  I think this tool could be a launching pad for some other nifty utilities/extensions like you've mentioned.

thanks for the testing and feedback.  This is turning out to be a lot of fun to work on, which is what I need at the moment, so I'm happy to throw some time into it.

-jeff!

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 10:57:04 am »
I'm glad all this is not a burden but rather something you enjoy.

The whole bracket issue is challenging.
If you igonre them and you have full GoodX sets, there will be lots of missed renaming opportunities because very often there are several versions of the same game and the differences are identified within parenthesis. 
Example:
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (U) (GameCube OoT Edition).png
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (U) (v1.0).png
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (U) (v1.1).png
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (U) (v1.2).png
Also, the nointro snap sets have different snapshots for different country codes:
007 - GoldenEye (E).png
007 - GoldenEye (J).png
007 - GoldenEye (U).png
You would also miss these snapshots if you have roms for different country codes but ignore the text in parenthesis.

On the other hand there is the accuracy problem you identified.  However, in the Compumate example you cited, if you consider brackets, would not your algorithm simply match those two together since they are the closest match even considering the text inside parenthesis?

One feature that would be useful is to provide the option to move all snapshots that don't match a rom file to be moved to another folder.  The reason is that those are not useful anymore and the user can decide whether to delete them or compress and store somewhere else.  The way I'm managing that right now is to open the snap folder and make sure files are arranged in alphabetical orderand run the batch file by 2x clicking on it while staying on that folder.  When the batch file executes, all renamed files are placed at the bottom of the window so I can select files starting at the top of the window until I reach the end of the alphabet.  From there, the alphabet starts anew with the files that were just renamed so I leave those in the folder. 
It is an effective workaround but if I navigate to another folder before doing this, I loose the ability to discern which files were renamed and which are the old ones.

I'll be keep testing on the fixed code when it becomes available.

"The Manuel"

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 01:49:23 pm »
On the other hand there is the accuracy problem you identified.  However, in the Compumate example you cited, if you consider brackets, would not your algorithm simply match those two together since they are the closest match even considering the text inside parenthesis?

It depends-that was just the first example I could find.  The shorter the name, the more likely it is to get screwed up because a short name can often be found inside a longer name (asteroids vs. blasteroids) which will give incorrect matches.  I do 2 comparisons:
"does a match b" and "does b match a" and then add the results together, but perhaps I should weigh one of the 2 tests higher than the other.  I'm not enough of a math head to know exactly how it should be done most effectively.

The whole fuzzy thing is really a bit of mystery to me as to how it finds matches occasionally, but I find the outcome kind of fascinating to work with and experiment on.

I might try automatically doing the "ignore ()[]" feature on the fly and see how that changes the outcome, and I'd also thought about building a "top 10" matches, and if you 2x click on an entry you could change it to a different match by just selecting it and picking it from a menu.  That's pretty easy, but that then puts the burden on you to scan through the list and spot mistakes...

One feature that would be useful is to provide the option to move all snapshots that don't match a rom file to be moved to another folder.  The reason is that those are not useful anymore and the user can decide whether to delete them or compress and store somewhere else. 

I agree.  Since I want to move the actual renaming into the app itself, having it rename into another folder is super easy, so I'll add that the to todo pile.  No sweat.

There's also an app (rombuddy iirc) that was released by RitchieTheBrit, that does that sort of thing.
You point it to your various folders, and it checks to make sure you have the rom, the .png and/or .avi and other files, and moves the completed sets into another area of your hard drive.  Wrapping all of these tools together would make for an excellent rom organizer.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
Re: Renaming snapshot files that don't match their corresponding ROM's
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 02:06:05 pm »
Wrapping all of these tools together would make for an excellent rom organizer.
You bet.

It depends-that was just the first example I could find.  The shorter the name, the more likely it is to get screwed up because a short name can often be found inside a longer name (asteroids vs. blasteroids) which will give incorrect matches.  I do 2 comparisons:
"does a match b" and "does b match a" and then add the results together, but perhaps I should weigh one of the 2 tests higher than the other.  I'm not enough of a math head to know exactly how it should be done most effectively
Clearly there is a lot more to it than I understand.  The outcome might never be perfect but you have the bulk of the problem addressed already.

I might try automatically doing the "ignore ()[]" feature on the fly and see how that changes the outcome, and I'd also thought about building a "top 10" matches, and if you 2x click on an entry you could change it to a different match by just selecting it and picking it from a menu.  That's pretty easy, but that then puts the burden on you to scan through the list and spot mistakes...
As long as the top ten idea is only done for the hardest casest (although how do you determine which cases are hard?), then it would be OK because the user would only have to go through, say, a few dozen matches to verify.  However, if the user has to go through all of them, then the application losses its practicality because it would take a long time to go through thousands of roms.
"The Manuel"

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 03:38:37 pm »
ok, 3rd time's a charm, I hope.

http://www.waste.org/~winkles/fuzzyRename/FuzzyRename3.zip

It's getting closer to being a real application finally.

1) Browse for the files to rename
2) Browse to your roms to get the filenames you want.
-it builds a list-
3) browse to the target folder of where you want to put the renamed files in.
4) hit go. (the button isn't pressable til you select the target path)

The source .png files are not touched-I copy and rename them and put them into the target folder now.  It turns out that had to be done, because sometimes there were 2 roms that needed the same .png file, and renaming was only going to get you 1 of them.

Pressing go will "rename" (copy+rename) the entire list.

The list is now interactive too: 
o) Select items from the list, press DEL to delete them.
o) 2x click on an entry and it'll popup an edit window so you can manually update the target filename
o) right click on selected items and get a menu to either delete, update or "rename" (copy+rename) specific files.

removed:
o) the "ignore[]" option.  It is now checking the entire filename always.
o) renameit.bat file creation.

Very lightly tested all around, so lemme know how it works.

-jeff!

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 03:47:38 pm »
Sweet.
I'll give it a shot when I'm not working later today.
It's looking great!
 :applaud:
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 10:01:39 pm »
OK.  I just went through my six sets with FuzzyRenamer ver 3.

It was a breeze to operate and I did it on my main computer, a Core 2 Duo and the wait time was not objectionable at all.  On my actual arcade machine,  PIII-800MHz, it is a pain in the butt but should be fine for most people.

Anyway, I was very impressed with the matches the app did as I looked through the list.  I am at the point that I trust its choices so I after the first couple of systems, I just let it rip. 

I caught myself sobbing softly with emotion as I went renaming snapshots for each of my emulators...  Well, no.  Not really but this thing certainly rocks.  I went from having a bunch of snapshots that did not show up in MaLa to having snapshots for over 95% of my games.  I love it.  It is ready for prime time.  You can make a release as soon as you are ready.

Thank you very much for undertaking this effort.  You found another need in this hobby and delivered a solution.  I wonder if it would make sense to roll into ROMlister as a module.
"The Manuel"

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 10:08:40 pm »
Yay!!

I'm glad it worked out, and on monday I'll push it out with the source.

I like the idea of merging it into romlister too.  That opens up all kinds of new possibilities now that I've got code to scan folders for files and can fuzzy match text strings... 

Thanks for the testing and the inspiration to go ahead with it.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 10:24:20 pm »
It was fun testing it out.  Besides, all I did was beg and you did all the work.
I call that "Team Work"  :laugh2:

Thanks again.  :cheers:
"The Manuel"

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 12:57:13 am »
This would have really helped me out when I added atari 2600 roms to my cabinet a month or 2 ago! I spent a good deal of time manually fixing snaps, videos, boxes, and carts. I remember asking Circo why they didn't match the roms very well, and he said that GameEx (which he uses) has fuzzy matching built in, so I guess he doesn't have much incentive to fix it.

As I scanned through this thread just now, I kept thinking "needs to have a destination folder for snaps" so I was glad to see that you came to the same realization. :)

Nice work as usual, NOP. As I indicated, I don't have a pressing need to use it, but if I ever have to reconstruct my 2600 sets for some reason, or adopt some other emulator, then I will definitely give it a try.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

bent98

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 03:35:00 pm
  • Hyperspin Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 04:34:47 pm »
MAME has the benefit of a well established naming convention.  This makes it easier to find a set of snapshot images that will be sure to match the roms you have and MaLa or any other front-end ususally does not have a problem showing snapshots for your roms.
However, consoles rom names usually go by the GoodX convention.  I found and excellent collection of console snapshots here:
http://no-intro.dlgsoftware.net/main.php?modulo=descargas&contenido=packs&lang=1
The problem I am finding is that the snapshot names seem to follow the GoodX convention but the games don't exactly match.  For one thing, none of the snapshots include [!] in their names which pretty much causes a mismatch with most of my roms.

I  tried d/ing a a few of these packs and the naming convention is based off CRC not good set names?

I am in need of complete Good set graphics packs myself.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 05:46:18 pm »
They provide a tool that renames from CRC to GoodX names.  Check on the Tools section of their website.
Then use NOP's tool to match those names to your specific ROM set.
"The Manuel"

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 10:31:31 am »
ok, it's released officially.
http://www.waste.org/~winkles/fuzzyRename

and as I added it to the wiki, I noticed all these other renamers that are already out there.  Has anyone played with any of those?  Did I just reinvent the wheel?

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Utilities#File_Renamers

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2008, 10:53:26 am »
Hmm...

Looking at Howards Generic Artwork Renamer, it seems designed for the same goal but the question is, is it fuzzy?  :-)

Also, yours has the benefit of editing the list of names on the fly before actual generation of the new files. 

I'm not sure if Howard's app does all these things and quite frankly, yours worked great and I already renamed my files so there is little incentive to back and compare.  I'll just stick with FuzzyRename.

If anything, writing the tool yourself will probably allow for more seamless integration into ROMlister if you decide to go that route. 
If you ever want to add support to the CRC naming convention of the No-Intro sets, then that site and your application will be the best way of getting your console snapshot collections, hands down.
"The Manuel"

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 06:05:14 pm »
Won't the utilities on the following website rename your files already?

http://no-intro.dlgsoftware.net/main.php?modulo=descargas&contenido=tools&lang=1

Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 10:02:53 pm »
The tools there will rename the files to name of the ROMs in the dat file you download from their site.
The problem is your own ROMs' names might not necessarily match theirs.
I noticed, for instance, that the vast majority of the picture files for one of the consoles (NES, if I recall correctly) after renaming with their tools did not have the [!] label.
"The Manuel"

Mickey Juice

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2010, 08:29:08 am
  • BLAU!
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 11:11:52 pm »
Thanks for a great thread and program guys.  :applaud:
I'll be trying it tonight, but it just might save me alot of hassle.

I used Goodx to sort out my roms, and I had planned on using the no-intro snaps (and putting the lot on my xbox)... the problem was matching the rom names to the png snap names. This should solve the prob! Thanks.

Another method I found involved romcenter (mentioned on xbox-scene)... but for some reason I couldn't get alot of my roms to match up with the dats I was using. The majority of roms were greyed out ie 'unknown'.

Quick question tho, what is the latest version?
The one on your site NOP (that I tried last night) has the 'ignore ()[]'  checkbox and 'create .bat' button... Whereas the version 3 linked up above has these removed and matches the screenshots on your website  ???
I assume Version 3 is the proper release, as I thought the checkbox was removed from later versions?   ???

Now onto my next problem... getting the snaps working with Xport emulators!  ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 11:14:56 pm by Mickey Juice »

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 10:54:59 am »
>Quick question tho, what is the latest version?

yeah, that's a bug on my html for the site.  I've just fixed it, so everything should be pointing to version3 now.  Thanks for pointing that out to me.

>Now onto my next problem... getting the snaps working with Xport emulators!

I can probably help with that too. 

xport's emus need the screenshots put into folders, and the screenshot itself renamed to 0001.png, 0002.png, etc.
I wrote a command line app to take:
Desert Falcon (1987) (Atari) (PAL).png, make a directory called "Desert Falcon (1987) (Atari) (PAL)" and then rename and move the .png file into that directory and rename it 0001.png.

I would just point you to a site I used to run called the xbox emulation repository, but it's been shut down now, so I will likely have to post it from home, if you think that would be useful.  I can get to it later tonight.

Mickey Juice

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2010, 08:29:08 am
  • BLAU!
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 06:15:51 pm »
>Now onto my next problem... getting the snaps working with Xport emulators!

I can probably help with that too. 

xport's emus need the screenshots put into folders, and the screenshot itself renamed to 0001.png, 0002.png, etc.
I wrote a command line app to take:
Desert Falcon (1987) (Atari) (PAL).png, make a directory called "Desert Falcon (1987) (Atari) (PAL)" and then rename and move the .png file into that directory and rename it 0001.png.

I would just point you to a site I used to run called the xbox emulation repository, but it's been shut down now, so I will likely have to post it from home, if you think that would be useful.  I can get to it later tonight.

Thanks that would be great!
 I bumped this thread with a similar app made by TalkingOctopus, as the link to the app is broken.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=52762

So it would great if you could find your app.  :D

Quick question, I assume you have to convert most of the roms to FatX friendly file names before transferring to the Xbox?
I might try the 'forcexbox' option in GoodGUI

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 12:32:09 am »
I responded over there...

The XPortScreenShotConverter.zip isn't my tool, but I think it'll work for you.  If not, I'll dig mine out of the archive.

>Quick question, I assume you have to convert most of the roms to FatX friendly file names before transferring to the Xbox?

My app does some minor fatx friendly renaming (IIRC, things like commas are not allowed) but it didn't seem to me a lot of the screenshots themselves had any offending characters.  There was also an option to truncate folder names to 42 characters, although I think xport's emus used slightly shorter filenames than 42.  It's been awhile. 

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2008, 12:12:05 am »
Have you tried the FatX Renamer program for the Xbox?

http://www.onlinexbox.org/files/fatxrenamer.exe

Just point to the directory you want to convert and click the button.  Bam!  Done.

~ DeLuSioNaL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

KnightofTruth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2013, 12:51:58 am
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 10:06:05 am »
Wow, thanks so much for the app (and the links on the no-intro tools - not sure how I missed that one).  When I get a spare moment in the next two days or so I'll definitely try them out as I did the EXACT same thing (Goodx w/changes + NoIntro snaps + .dat files)! 

(I had posted the same issue on another thread here, guess I should've kept searching through the pages til I found this thread haha)

Thanks again!

KnightofTruth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 11:59:20 am »
Okay, so for some reason I'm apparently doing something wrong... I have GoodSNES roms that I unGoodmerged to remove the ROMS I didn't want.  I have apparently a no-intro naming convention snap set (CRC_Snaps & CRC_Titles).. all the pngs are named simply as a #.  I downloaded the appropriate snes .dat file from no-intro and attempted to use their "imagerenamer" software to rename the crc files to appropriate rom names (to be recognized by mala).

Here's the issue...everytime I do it I get either 1 or 2 (depending on my choices) empty folders called "named_snaps" or "named_titles".  All the snaps keep their same names and the folders are empty.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

dungbeetle46

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2016, 07:27:47 pm
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 04:37:12 am »
never got along with no intro crc snaps
try http://www.emumovies.com/console.html

KnightofTruth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 08:36:18 am »
Thanks, I guess I'll just use those since I was using the carts/boxes from the same site.  It just seems that the crc ones are better quality and have more of them.  Oh well, it beats this  :banghead:   :) 

Alkis30

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2018, 07:14:46 am
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2009, 01:13:03 am »
In the last months I used the Fatmatch program to rename images and videos so as to match in my rom collections. The problem is that Fatmatch (and any other program that I'm aware of) can not browse roms within subfolders. There are many platforms like Amiga CD32, 3DO, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, PS1 etc where I have the roms (bin,iso files) whithin the main folder of each game. Does anyone know a program or something that can search-scan inside those subfolders and do this job ???? Please someone help !