Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 3 inch trackball hole  (Read 2581 times)

sol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2008, 03:27:04 am
3 inch trackball hole
« on: August 03, 2008, 03:16:29 am »
I was wondering which is better to use to achieve a perfect 3 inch hole in mdf or plywood?

A hole saw

or

a 3 inch forstner bit

Boz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2021, 09:24:11 am
    • Battle Chasers Upright Cabinet
Re: 3 inch trackball hole
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 03:18:53 am »
MDF, Hole Saw.

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 01:40:36 pm »
With a router and a 6-8mm diameter long shaft bit. Make a plate that acts as a spirograph. You can cut any size you like, even if there are no exact hole saw matches.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 01:59:34 pm »
With a router and a 6-8mm diameter long shaft bit. Make a plate that acts as a spirograph. You can cut any size you like, even if there are no exact hole saw matches.

More info please.  This sounds super useful, but I don't quite get how it works.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 04:59:34 pm »
Pick 2 spare pieces of mdf/plywood. In the first of about 20x20 cm you drill a hole of around 20mm in the middle. Thats where the router bit goes through and will be on top of the sheet that needs to be cut. Next you put the second piece under the sheet where the hole comes (it will hold the loose circle after you went round, and makes sure you don't route into the table. If the table may get little damage, just use the table as second piece!
Then screw a screw on a certain distance from the hole in the first piece, through the circle center in the actual sheet that needs to be cut, and through the help sheet underneath (or into the table). The distance can be calculated, but it is better to make a test circle about the final size in spare wood, and then measure the difference in diameters to adjust the distance of the screw to the routerbit-hole.
Then you screw the router on the 20x20 cm help sheet, centering the routerbit with the hole in the middle. Finally fasten the actual sheet and the bottom help sheets with clamps onto the table.
Now you can start routing with the around-the-screw rotating helpsheet. Go 3mm deeper every turn until you get through. Because the screw holds the cutaway part, it won't fly away or kill the routerbit by locking it up.
If i was not on holiday, i would have photoshopped a sketch.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 05:03:47 pm by Blanka »

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 12:05:30 am »
i would have photoshopped a sketch.

Heh . . . that would be helpful.  If you remember, and are feeling generous, put that sketch together when you get home.  A picture says 1000 words . . .    ;D
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

sol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2008, 03:27:04 am
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 09:02:49 am »
Thanks for the info  :)

I ended up getting a expanding bit it did the job well.  :cheers: