Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Space Invaders  (Read 5736 times)

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
Space Invaders
« on: August 02, 2008, 05:22:21 pm »
I just went and picked up a Bally Space Invaders pinball machine. It was on craigslist. The guy just wanted it out of his basement. It was free for the taking. I haven't taken any pics yet but I will soon. It is in excellent shape cosmetically. The only thing is the guy tried taking off the top and didn't bother to unhook anything. He just clipped all the wires going into the top part of the machine and it looks like some others got pinched in half. It's going to take a lot of soldering and shrink tube to get it back to the point where it can be plugged in.

The back glass is awesome looking! It's a wide body and damn the thing is huge!

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2252

Edit (Added Pics)

Encryptor
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:06:24 pm by Encryptor »

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
Re: Space Invaders
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:49:59 am »
I'm sorry, but that thing screams part-out! :dizzy:
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 03:43:21 am »
I'm sorry, but that thing screams part-out! :dizzy:

Why is that? Is there something you want from it?

It's not in bad shape. Just needs a lot of soldering and some tlc.

Encryptor

gajaman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2011, 02:50:33 pm
  • The GajaCab is here......
    • The Gaja Project
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 03:00:31 pm »
The cabinet side art is in far nicer condition than on my SI. My one is quite yellowed.

Is that rampant mould on the playfield?

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 03:11:49 pm »
 :laugh2: No it's not mold. It seems as though a furry critter used some of the paperwork that was in the bottom to make a cozy home. It has since been vacuumed and no critters were found in that process. The play field does have some wear in the center but it's not too bad. I found someone that has a play field on ebay for $110. Something for the future possibly. I have to see if I can get it working before I spend that kind of money on cosmetic stuff.

I'll get some more pics soon.

Encryptor

Mauzy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:40:42 pm »
So was that the manual/wiring diagram/schematic set that will really come in handy in the coming weeks shredded on your playfield?
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:10:01 pm »
The only thing is the guy tried taking off the top and didn't bother to unhook anything. He just clipped all the wires going into the top part of the machine and it looks like some others got pinched in half.

I had to snip the harnesses on one of my machines like that once.  I was unloading it from the truck after buying it and it was just starting to rain hard.  Keys were nowhere to be found so I couldn't get in the head to undo some of the connectors.  Had to snip them between the head and body so I could get the thing out of the rain before it was trashed.   :P

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 07:06:58 pm »
So was that the manual/wiring diagram/schematic set that will really come in handy in the coming weeks shredded on your playfield?

I don't think the manual was in there. There wasn't enough stuff shredded to be a complete manual. It was mostly bonus and instruction 3x5 cards that were in the bottom along with the manila envelope they were in. There was a few still left in the bottom. I have the manual in pdf that I'm going to print out or there are some on ebay.

How much of a pain was it to solder back together?

This will basically be a complete tear down to do it right. Everything is tarnished or corroded. Most of the rubbers need to be replaced as well. It looks like it may have been near a window for a long time. Everything plastic is faded pretty good. Those might be tough to replace. I haven't really looked online yet to see what was available. It's definitely a long term project. I have to finish my mame cab and do my jukebox before I think about starting something this big though.

Encryptor

erictrumpet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2016, 11:59:23 am
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 11:26:20 pm »
I'd be in waaaaay over my head if I had that thing in my garage, yet I am still a little jealous of you for the free score of probably my favorite pinball game of all time. The gameplay isn't the best, but that friggin alien takes me right back to 7 years old having the crap scared out of me by that machine. At that age, I was not familiar with the movie Alien, so to me the artwork on that pin just made the SI videogame that much more scary because now I had an image to think about when shooting the little pixelated alien invaders. Scary... and awesome... congrats on the score and please post pics here of your resto efforts.

Eric.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 05:00:06 pm »
Well when I finally get around to tackling this thing I'll be way in over my head as well. I've never seen the inside of a pinball game before I got this one. I had to go online to find out how to remove the play field glass. But I had never build a mame cab before I started mine either and I play it all the time now. Live and learn.

Encryptor

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 10:34:10 pm »
I'll go for it when I get to it. I just have other things that need to be done first. If I hose it up it's not a great loss.

THE POKER BRAT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 05:50:58 am
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 10:08:02 pm »
well,..i just scored on one too...but if you feel the pin is great trouble for you,..im in NEW YORK CITY,..you can sell me the machine,..or parts,..etc,..ill be glad to take it off your hands.. :cheers:
WANT LIST: , asteroids mini, crazy climber mini, tron mini, goldball PINBALL,.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 10:32:35 pm »
I sold it a long time ago. I realized it was in very poor condition and well above what I wanted it to get involved with.

Encryptor

THE POKER BRAT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 02:26:13 pm »
see,..i have to get used to this pinball thing myself,..
Dude, just go for it.  When I bought my first pinball I had no idea what I was doing and I managed to screw it up real good.  ~40 machines later, I've got a fairly good handle on them.

:cheers:

THE POKER BRAT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 11:57:24 am »
     By the way,...does anyone in NEW YORK CITY,..(or nearby,) that knows how to fix up a "space invaders" im a total noobie to pins,  :dunno ..i mean my machine turns on ,..but i cant get it to play...it starts going nuts after it boots up.and doesnt stop going nuts..i got all new boards too..
     I wouldnt mind spending some $$$ on someone that can fix my machine,..
     Only problem is,..its going to happen around tax season,..    :lol
     Anyone with some tech help or hands on exp??...