Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Please help.  (Read 1617 times)

danfman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2009, 10:26:45 pm
Please help.
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:45:37 pm »
Hello  I am new to this.  So after reading what I could I have a few questions about constructing a cocktail game.

1. How/where do I get the glass from?

2. Do I have to construct the top in a manner that it fits the dimensions of standard artwork?

3. What monitor size is recommended?

4. Are there minimum hardware requirements for the PC I should follow?

Thanks,
Dan
"It depends on how you define alone…" –Bill Clinton

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
Re: Please help.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 02:03:53 am »
Hi Dan, welcome to byoac  :)

1. I don't know where you are located but if you are in the states a few people have recommended [onedayglass]. If not try your local business directory for Glasswork, Glaziers, Glass Manufactures or similar. Seeing as you are building a cocktail I would recommend you get tempered glass, you don't want to put your beer through it whilst having a quick drink during Pacman mazes!

2. If you want to build a replica cab and want to use artwork from [MameMarquees] or similar you will need to know the dimensions for the cabinet top at least so that the 'standard' artwork will fit. [Mikesarcade] Has detailed plans for Pacman and Ms Pacman cocktails.

You don't have to build a replica cab though. You can build any shape or size cab you want. You will just need to modify some existing artwork or design some from scratch to fit your project. There are plenty of people who are willing to help.

3. The monitor size is completely up to you. I have seen cocktails ranging from 15" to 27" Personally I'm using a 21" CRT I have (a few of) kicking around. If you are building a replica cab obviously you will want to use the same size screen that was in the original cab.

4. The PC you will want to use will depends on the range of games you want to play. You wont ever be able to play all of the mame roms unless you have a Octo-core rig with 50GB of RAM or something (can you tell I'm no PC expert! :laugh:). I'm using a 3Ghz P4 with 1GB of RAM which will allow me to run most games apart from some of the intensive CHDs which I'm not fussed about. Obviously you will need a HDD big enough to store all your games on.