Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BYOAC's Costs  (Read 4932 times)

anthony691

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2016, 03:10:23 pm
    • Lightgun.tk
BYOAC's Costs
« on: May 29, 2003, 06:27:55 pm »
I know it is none of my bidness, but how much storage and bandwith does BYOAC use!? How is this payed for? It amazes me that BYOAC can stay afloat (probably thanks to some generous/awesome people).

Thanks to Mods too!

I was just wondering... one would think the costs would be staggering! (and there is no adds ect. to be spoken of!)

Some places make it obvious how they pay the bills (Cough... MAMEWorld... Cough), but BYOAC is different!
Visit my MAME lightgun site:
http://www.lightgun.tk

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

anthony691

• Offline Offline
    • Lightgun.tk
Re:BYOAC's Costs
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 08:43:55 pm »
Actually there's a link on the menu that explains all in detail. Click here for details!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I wouldn't ever want to see BYOAC in $$$$ trouble...

Why don't you add affailiate adds to the message board? You have this power with YaBB, right... you can add more pics to the top? If they are for MAME related products I don't think they would even be annoying (example: MAMEWorld). I really wouldn't mind if I knew I was helping BYOAC out! I can't donate anything, but I would gladly see adds for RELATED products in the forum. I mean why aren't there adds? I don't like to see people who (for the most part) Aren't the richest people on earth; put out thier money for me?

Maybe soon I will have to redirect my yearly MAME/Arcade esque donation (from MAMEworld :) ) to BYOAC!

Seriosly... I would like to see adds if I knew I was helping out!

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 11:06:57 pm »

Why don't you add affailiate adds to the message board? You have this power with YaBB, right... you can add more pics to the top? If they are for MAME related products I don't think they would even be annoying (example: MAMEWorld).

I don't think saint wants ads. Anyway all the vendors are freaking out right now.

anthony691

• Offline Offline
    • Lightgun.tk
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 11:09:18 pm »

Why don't you add affailiate adds to the message board? You have this power with YaBB, right... you can add more pics to the top? If they are for MAME related products I don't think they would even be annoying (example: MAMEWorld).

I don't think saint wants ads. Anyway all the vendors are freaking out right now.

Hmmm... why does Saint not want adds? They would solve his financial woes.

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 11:39:07 pm »

OH I forgot in my last post. WHAT WOES?

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 11:55:49 pm »
Anthony, you might not realize it... but it's tough to make ends meet on affiliate or even PPC advertisement... (if affiliation's with act labs doesn't pay for your site, i doubt they'd pay for this one)

*Shrug*

There's an arcade related site youcan go to if you like banner and pop up blindness... =P

Wait, i'm being negative again... ok.. count to 10...

woooooosh exhale...

It's all about the big picture Anthony

Rampy

IF I can project a bit... the real costs of BYOAC aren't monetary.  IT's time, patience, dealing with the downside of the online human persona/condition.  Those things erode at the spirit,, not the billfold, however... *shrug*  hopefully the good will and love the community can balance that out.  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 12:00:37 am by rampy »

anthony691

• Offline Offline
    • Lightgun.tk
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 07:37:36 am »

OH I forgot in my last post. WHAT WOES?

That is what the donation site said, and I don't like to hear complaining of that nature... "When money talks I hate to listen, but lately it's been screaming in my ear"

BTW rampy, I bet (KNOW) that adds through afail programs and the like would pay the bills! BYOAC's traffic is > 1000x greater than little Lightgun.tk! Even so one day I made 12$ off of my adds! I was just mentioning... it is just an idea... an I don't really care... it really is "none of my bidness"!

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2003, 08:58:37 am »

That is what the donation site said, and I don't like to hear complaining of that nature... "When money talks I hate to listen, but lately it's been screaming in my ear"

BTW rampy, I bet (KNOW) that adds through afail programs and the like would pay the bills! BYOAC's traffic is > 1000x greater than little Lightgun.tk! Even so one day I made 12$ off of my adds! I was just mentioning... it is just an idea... an I don't really care... it really is "none of my bidness"!

Well, perhaps a natural fit like happs, would make sense (if they were more intersted in home sellers and would give 5% - there'd be a good synergy there).  But you aren't going to sell (even at byoac) $24000 worth of light guns or books through amazon.

People around here would, no doubt, make the purchases they are going to make anyways, and would be more than happy to use a byoac ad as a gateway,  "to give back a little"

But you also don't want to tacky up the place, or make it look like you are going for ever GD dime on the plate.  You then go perception wise from worthy site needing donations to huckster.  (basically you have to keep losing money for us to like you =P)

*shrug*

rampy

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2003, 05:13:08 pm »
Ok. Let me try again.

THERE ARE NO BYOAC FINANCIAL PROBLEMS.

saint (I'm speaking for saint now, this can't be good) would however like to the site pay (atleast 1/2) for itself. Depending on whether the bills have just been paid or if they are coming due, the site at that point could be negative (no money in the bank) or positive (money in the bank) respectively. Overall the site probably needs about $1000 per year AS OF TODAY to pay for 1/2 of the outgoing expenses. This is due to a planned server upgrade at somepoint in this year.

Also note that saint's status report on the site as seen on the donations page was LAST YEAR. As of today I see 30gigs of transfer for the .com site, and only about 8 gigs per month on the .org site (due to heavy compression and minor page rewriting). HOWEVER the graphs show a trend line rising to the right at about 45

anthony691

• Offline Offline
    • Lightgun.tk
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2003, 05:26:18 pm »
Ok. Let me try again.

THERE ARE NO BYOAC FINANCIAL PROBLEMS.

saint (I'm speaking for saint now, this can't be good) would however like to the site pay (atleast 1/2) for itself. Depending on whether the bills have just been paid or if they are coming due, the site at that point could be negative (no money in the bank) or positive (money in the bank) respectively. Overall the site probably needs about $1000 per year AS OF TODAY to pay for 1/2 of the outgoing expenses. This is due to a planned server upgrade at somepoint in this year.

Also note that saint's status report on the site as seen on the donations page was LAST YEAR. As of today I see 30gigs of transfer for the .com site, and only about 8 gigs per month on the .org site (due to heavy compression and minor page rewriting). HOWEVER the graphs show a trend line rising to the right at about 45

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2003, 04:35:42 pm »
I intend to donate, but not until this money pit of a project that BYOAC is responsible for is finished.  I really took the all-out approach and my cab is gradually creeping up toward the $2k mark.  If I end up getting divorced over this y'all might have another lawsuit on your hands  :P .  There's no way on god's green earth that I could have done this without all the people here, and the faq, and Citznfish's manafesto.  And without this website I wouldn't have found any of this info.  I'd have been too overwhelmed by the prospect to even start, let alone finish something 1/10th as complex as what I'm currently working on.

I can't imagine spending a couple grand on all the parts, and then completely ignoring the factor in the whole process that REALLY made this possible for me:  BYOAC.  When I can afford it (read: when my cab is finished later this summer) I'll have to send a bit off to BYOAC.  My conscience will not allow otherwise.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2003, 11:26:04 pm »
I really took the all-out approach and my cab is gradually creeping up toward the $2k mark.
G'daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that's a lot for a cabinet. I wish my budget were that high. I think mine will finally cap off at $500...

I have an idea!!! How about we charge all friends to play our machines and forward all proceeds to BYOAC.  ;D

I would donate but right now I'm soooo broke. I'm a college kid with a part-time job. Money isn't so easy to come by right now. When I get my website contract, though, I'll be rolling in it. Someday this site will see my money.

tom61

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2017, 12:46:56 am
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2003, 03:34:29 pm »
Keep in mind that if you can't donate money, you can always donate time and help!

Helping out the newbies, making sure your posts are kind and courtieus (sp?), will help us out greatly.  :D

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2003, 11:14:11 am »
There's no way on god's green earth that I could have done this without all the people here, and the faq, and Citznfish's manafesto.  And without this website I wouldn't have found any of this info.  I'd have been too overwhelmed by the prospect to even start, let alone finish something 1/10th as complex as what I'm currently working on.

I can't imagine spending a couple grand on all the parts, and then completely ignoring the factor in the whole process that REALLY made this possible for me:  BYOAC.  When I can afford it (read: when my cab is finished later this summer) I'll have to send a bit off to BYOAC.  My conscience will not allow otherwise.
Testify!!  I agree with everything you just said here.

JayTea

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2009, 03:32:25 pm
  • Whatchu talkin 'bout, Willis?
    • Licoricepizza.com
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2003, 12:44:19 am »
I have a novel idea - internet garage sale!

Everyone interested can sell something of value laying around their house that they would rather see go the way of the Dodo bird, and send the proceeds to BYOAC.  

We could pick a start date on Greed-Bay.  It would be like the old block sales where everyone had a garage sale and then drank margaritas and danced to...well, they danced I think...

I think we could raise a pretty decent sum, or at least some good chump change to further the cause.  What do ya think?  It might be fun, make it a contest to see who's got the most worthy crap, err...junk!  Winner gets a t-shirt?  I dunno, its the tournament coordinator in me speaking now...
JT the Footballguy
Step in the Arena