Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is anyone using XP embedded ?  (Read 3720 times)

spystyle

• Thanks alot, now I have to build a time machine and warn myself yesterday!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2021, 02:30:18 pm
Is anyone using XP embedded ?
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:28:54 pm »
Hello from Maine,

I was just trolling around the "bay or pirates" and "found" Windows XP embedded SP2. So I asked Google about it and came up with this article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc162460.aspx

If I am reading this correctly, Windows XP embedded can turn those Pentium 2 and 3 computers bound for the landfill into workstations - sure Linux can do that, but as we all know, and have become dependant on, Windows has fantastic 3rd party support (ie: Can you play Sims 2 on Linux?)

Obviously XP embedded is Microsoft's answer to Asus' Pentium 2 style laptop which runs Linux, the EEE.

So I wonder, can XP embedded turn those computers bound for the landfill into groovy workstations? Can it make a rockin' OS for MAME rigs? Have any of you guys worked with it?

Thanks,
Craig

RenegadeX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2022, 04:36:16 pm
Re: Is anyone using XP embedded ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 11:31:18 pm »
I think embedded is more of a "turnkey" version of the O/S -- intended for folks who want to use it to make creating a complex system a bit easier, as it handles a host of I/O options, uses off-the-shelf parts, offers top-notch development tools, and is fairly configurable.

XP embedded has other features, including making certain devices read-only (preventing data loss or tampering) and fast booting.

It's a good choice for folks familiar with Windows development/configuration who don't mind expensive licensing and (perhaps) more complex hardware requirements than custom (but harder to develop) hardware can offer.

For example, the commercial Ultrapin pinball sim uses XP embedded to basically run Visual Pinball. This enabled them to leverage (some might say..."exploit" or "bamboozle") existing simulation software, draw on the expertise of an established and skilled community simulation-building community, and quickly build a device which would otherwise have cost many times more in research & development.

Using it to build a sim cab would be an interesting idea, but not amazingly ground-breaking. I doubt the effort (and piracy) would be worth it, unless you wanted faster boot speed and greater configurability, or whatever.

spystyle

• Thanks alot, now I have to build a time machine and warn myself yesterday!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2021, 02:30:18 pm
Re: Is anyone using XP embedded ?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 12:42:52 am »
Yeah, since I didn't get any replies right away I deduced that Nlite is the only practical way to go.

Cheers,
Craig