Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arkanoid to Mame project.  (Read 14120 times)

hillbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2012, 07:24:19 pm
Re: Arkanoid to Mame project.
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 10:22:35 am »
Not that I am some big Journey fan or anything but some would consider this worse then the guy who mamed the Galxian.

This game has a strong following not only in the Aracde circle but also with Journey Fans. So to follow basic economics, supply is lower then other classics like pac-man games, plus take into consideration demand is highed because it is not just ppl in this hobby who would be interested. Creates a cabinet that would be better off saved if possible.

once again just my two cents. I prolly wouldnt use condor eggs when making some scrambled eggs either

but welcome to the wild and crazy addiction of arcade games :)

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 09:33:37 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 03:04:09 pm »
Not that I am some big Journey fan or anything but some would consider this worse then the guy who mamed the Galxian.

Absolutely ...
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2008, 04:13:11 pm »
Sorry but i really like the design of this cabinet, it only cost me 75 dollars so it was a steal. Sorry that i am not restoring it but i feel that it is nothing compared to the individual converting a Galaxian cab.

:tool:

And... at least I know how to use the search function on this site, and post more then 2 word updates every few days...

:tool:

How is this thread about my project?  You guys have issues.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 04:17:04 pm by csa3d »

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 09:33:37 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 04:22:53 pm »
Well, you did say that you didn't want people junking up *your* project thread with stuff like this ...

;)
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 04:46:11 pm »
So, are you saying that you won't even consider selling or trading with people who are offering?!?

And you wouldn't sell the Bezel?!? There is a guy on KLOV that paid like $120 for a beat to hell original marquee. There would be a battle royal over a nice original bezel.

ablizno

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2011, 09:04:29 pm
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2008, 07:44:46 pm »
@shardian i never said i would not sell the bezel i can not find the damn usb cable to my camera or i would have uploaded the pictures

Untill i find the usb cable i will not be uploading any pictures. sorry i havent updated in a while but there is soo much paint on this cabinet it is hard to get off.

on a happier note my joysticks and buttons came in, im just waiting on the ipac.

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2008, 12:27:40 pm »
@amadama no the journey side art was removed then painted over black.

also here is a picture of the glass. the backside has some black paint behind the artword and a very small amount of flaking, but its on one corner. I wanted to be careful with it so i didnt clean it at all yet or remove the left over adhesive from where the arkanoid instructions were.

gonzojoey

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2020, 10:26:44 am
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2008, 04:42:54 pm »
Here's a link to an ebay auction that was for the Promo poster for this game...and it sold for $50 dollars. If the poster sold for this much, think how much you could sell the cabinet for. I'm sure you'd get enough to get another cab of your choice..but that's just my opinion :dunno
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260230882514

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2008, 06:24:56 pm »
Hey ablizno,  If you are anywhere close to Atlanta GA, I will trade you a MAME-able cab for the Journey cab... or offer you cash or a new clean piece of bezel glass for the Journey bezel glass.  I am restoring a Journey and I don't have the glass, and the bezel artwork is not available anywhere.

Or at least take him up on this offer. Or perhaps send off the bezel to him in exchange for the reproduction if you like the art that much... or something along those lines?

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2008, 11:17:16 pm »
@svannahlion i am taking him up on his over, it was discussed via pm.

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2008, 05:54:49 pm »
Still waiting on that belt sander and my I-pac, speaking of which, i looked everywhere today for a standard usb cable for the I-pac and i can not find it anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions.

I checked the following places and they did not have it:

-Radio Shack
-Best Buy
-Circuit City
-Office Max
-Target

nuka1195

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2020, 08:47:25 pm
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2008, 06:56:13 pm »
isn't it a standard usb printer cable? Shortened Link

edit: by the way that price is very high.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 08:58:21 pm by Peale »

amadama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2019, 04:44:52 pm
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2008, 09:19:16 pm »
It is a regular a-b usb cable. Here's a 6ft one for $3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119004

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2008, 10:04:47 pm »
Thanks guys, i thought when it said standard it meant A to A but since its A to B i got some of them laying around somewhere. Now im just waiting for it to get here.

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2008, 10:55:17 pm »
Upon sanding some of the paint off today (still not very successful) i noticed that the cabinet was a little unstable, Any suggestions on where i can get replacements for those metal support legs, i would like something close to the original.

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2008, 11:41:23 pm »
Ipac came in today, now i just have to modify the cp and get these controls wired. Still waiting to paint the cabinet.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2008, 12:58:34 am »
Poor Journey cab, the guys over at Klov would froth at the mouth seeing this thread. If that cab was complete, you'd get probably $1,000 for it...

You might want to post over there and see if you could at least get a couple hundred, and a trade - for some reason Journey is a very sought after cab. Personally, I think it isn't worth jack, but that's just my opinion...

amadama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2008, 09:27:41 pm »
I'm one of those guys who would love to have this cab....
Oh well, another one bites the dust. I just hope ablizno can make it look good in the end.

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2008, 06:54:46 pm »
Cabinet is partially primed white. Im going to paint it on Thursday, ordering T-molding right now. I just created a speaker mount without disturbing the original structure. I will post pictures either later tonight or tomorrow morning. I have been very busy with work recently sorry i haven't been more up to date.

Edit: any suggestions on the bezel with a rotating monitor. I originally planned to paint on the glass with spray paint and rotate it as i rotated the monitor but that will not work. The dimensions of the glass are 21x23 therefore the glass cannot be rotated. Should i just get two pieces of glass. One for horizontal, one for vertical? Also is plexi good or should i stick to real glass. Thanks in advanced.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:55:44 pm by ablizno »

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2008, 06:46:52 am »
Better yet, stick to one monitor layout.  All-in-one cabinets may seem cool, but they're not.  It's currently vertical?  There are a ton of awesome vertical games.

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2008, 09:19:53 am »
@peale i know what u mean. The thing is that all i want to play are fighters and vertical shooters. I already have the whole rotating monitor thing handled.

P.s. NO im not making a frankenpanel

here is a picture of my speaker mount

ArtMAME

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2020, 12:59:17 pm
  • Hey where the ARCADE MACHINES at???
    • Art's Arcade Lab
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2008, 02:10:24 pm »
You could try sticking a black foam board directly on the face of your monitor with a rectangular cutout in the middle for the display area of the monitor, and the outer part circular, then put a secondary bezel up to the glass with a square cutout to accommodate H and V orientations.  That way it will be all black around the screen no matter what orientation.

"Klaatu. .. Verada. ...... Necktie...Nectar...Nickel..."

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2008, 06:54:29 pm »
Edit: any suggestions on the bezel with a rotating monitor. I originally planned to paint on the glass with spray paint and rotate it as i rotated the monitor but that will not work. The dimensions of the glass are 21x23 therefore the glass cannot be rotated. Should i just get two pieces of glass. One for horizontal, one for vertical? Also is plexi good or should i stick to real glass. Thanks in advanced.

Do you ever hit the search button before posting?  Just curious..

Now to be helpful, you can See how I cut my bezel

The dark peice of wood is a circle, which is velcro'd over top the LCD screen.  This turns with the monitor rotation.  The lighter piece of wood is mounted to the cabinet, and does not move at all.  Because there is 1" of overlap with the dark, circular piece, you see no gap.

Others have done similar with foam board.  But you'd never know cuz you don't search.

-csa

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2008, 07:03:29 pm »
csa3d i do use the search function but im using a regular wall mount not a DIY. Sorry if i upset you :dunno
also i was a bit confused on how you did yours. Because wouldn't you see the seam still?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 07:12:44 pm by ablizno »

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2008, 08:21:06 pm »
csa3d i do use the search function but im using a regular wall mount not a DIY. Sorry if i upset you :dunno
also i was a bit confused on how you did yours. Because wouldn't you see the seam still?

If you're worried about seeing a seam, then you might want to consider paying for a laser cut plastic bezel solution.  I don't have the link in my current bookmarks, but I searched google for laser cut plexiglass.  You can get shiny black opaque.  You're next problem will still be that there will be a minor gap where light can seep through.  If you go the wood route, and wanted something more flush.. you could route the inner circle edge and outer circle edge down a bit so the top surfaces of both sit flush, but never touch.  When it's all said and done, and behind smoke glass, you don't even look at the 1/8" gap to be honest.  As for wall mount, who cares.  A bezel is a bezel, and the same construction principles and challenges will apply.

good luck.

-csa

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2008, 10:16:43 pm »
thanks csa but i think im just gunna buy two different pieces of plexi, one painted for vertical and one painted for horizontal. Thanks for the suggestions.

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2008, 07:48:51 am »
thanks csa but i think im just gunna buy two different pieces of plexi, one painted for vertical and one painted for horizontal. Thanks for the suggestions.

I think you mean you want to buy 1 piece of plexiglass, and paint a black "plus" shape in it.  There are example of that technique on this forum as well.  If you ultimately go with 2 separately painted pieces of plexi, do take pics and show us how that worked out for you.  ;)

Glad to help, good luck.
-csa

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2008, 11:01:35 am »
Why can't you just mount the screen behind a solid piece of smoked plexi? With my first MAME cab I did this and you don't see any hint of a monitor until it is turned on. Once it is on, all you see is the screen. I made a black bezel out of posterboard and blacked the entire area out. If I ever do a rotating monitor, this is how I would approach it.

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2008, 05:21:45 pm »
Worked on the cabinet for 5 hours today and got absolutely nothing accomplished. I was going to paint it but my friend desided he no longer was going to let me barrow his paint sprayer. I was going to build the CP but then my drill died. I seriously do not think I am any farther along today than i was yesterday. I am thoroghly pissed that of the 3 people "helping" me none would let me borrow a power drill. I may just take this thing on all by my self. So long nice paint job.

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2008, 08:59:00 am »
Well the friend desided we could use the paint sprayer, under one condition. If he was the one painting. And let me tell you, it looks like  :censored: worst paint job i have ever seen. Im just going to sand it down and use rollers on tuesday.

ArtMAME

• Offline Offline
    • Art's Arcade Lab
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2008, 04:42:30 pm »
Hey, sent you the shipping box yesterday.  Let me know when you get it.  I also need some info (see my last PM).  Thanks.

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2008, 08:35:08 pm »
Ok so painting is done, (looks kinda bad but will post pictures when it dries). I can not find the marquee retainer. Does anyone have any suggestions. I would by the one from Happ but i kind of don't need 10 feet of retainer. Also if any one finds mine let me know. :P

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2008, 01:10:33 pm »
Just put the T-molding on and my Monitor mount. Here are some pictures. Still looking for my  marquee retainer. :dunno :'(

dislikedword

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2009, 07:06:23 pm
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2008, 05:52:06 pm »
Awesome. I always loved arkanoid.

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2008, 11:27:50 pm »
Thanks but that marquee is only there because it look nicer than without one. Trying to find my marquee retainer before ordering my custom marqee. Artwork should be ordered this weekend.

Luigi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2021, 11:28:40 am
  • Collecting/restoring cabs
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2008, 03:13:47 am »
I understood that you are not willing to sell the bezel so would you please scan it in hi-res or hand it over to someone else so he can do the scan and return it to you?

Please  :notworthy:

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2008, 09:14:33 am »
@luigi... u mean the Journey bezal...? I did sell it.... to ArtMame....]

If u mean the Arkanoid marquee isn't that artwork all over the place?

ArtMAME

• Offline Offline
    • Art's Arcade Lab
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2008, 09:36:10 am »
Luigi, I bought the bezel from ablizno and I just got it a few days ago.  It is in very nice shape, but there is one catch.  The Journey instructions are missing (which is not ablizno's fault.  It was that way when he bought the cabinet). 

The instructions were scraped off by whoever did the Journey to Arkanoid conversion (again, it was not ablizno).  So technically my bezel is not complete.  It is still very nice, and I do want to attempt to scan it or take a good photograph and make it available.

I have not looked into scanning it yet, but if anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

amadama

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2008, 11:24:39 am »
Hi Artmame,
Here is a comprhensive tutorial on how to scan in arcade artowkr (or any other large artwork for that matter):
http://www.rotheblog.com/2008/04/arcade/tutorials-arcade/scanning-arcade-game-sideart/

I look forward to seeing your scans (and so do a lot of other people!!)
Good luck,
Alex

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2008, 11:36:18 am »
Weren't most instructions on a piece of paper taped to the bezel? Of the ones ive seen thats the way the appeared, and the Arkanoid instructions attached to Journey bezel were attached in that fashion as well.