Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes (topic closed please use latest) Regards Alan  (Read 151547 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:29:54 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #240 on: December 12, 2012, 02:42:39 pm »
looks good. You could probably move the positives up one spot. (from 5/6 to 6/7)

make sure you don't overload the jukebox amp...you need keep the speaker load between 4 and 16 ohms.

if you have several speakers on a channel, i suggest you post the setup and i can calculate the load...as too low of a speaker load (under 4 ohms) can result in amp damage. (too high (over 16ohms) just results in low volume output)

the jukes speakers are 8 ohm. House speakers are usually 8 ohm as well (assuming a single speaker on each side) Because they are attached to the amp in parallel that puts you at 4 ohms. so you'd be good.

Scott Gould

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2014, 07:21:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #241 on: December 12, 2012, 02:56:28 pm »
The jukebox amp is not actually powering the house speakers. It is being converted to line level, and then goes into the home audio receiver as an RCA input. The home audio receiver is therefore powering the speakers that play the jukebox's output

The specific device I am using, a Axxess AX-ADCT2, does not specify what the load on the amplifier is from the device. However, I have read on other forums that these devices have little effect on the overall impedance load on the amplifier. Does that make sense to you? I definitely don't want to ruin my amplifier.

Also, any idea about the volume control?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #242 on: December 12, 2012, 03:16:39 pm »
sorry my phone cut off your post and pictures there.

it will be fine. It's a very small resistive load. You box should specify a maximum input wattage, it's likely below the output of the Rowe amp, but check to be sure.

if you only have output on one side after properly wiring up the speakers, check your screws where the volume control is attached and make sure they are still tight. if still nothing, check the plugs on the amp and make sure they are connected tight. The volume attaches with a plug with about 5 or 6 wires on it...white and purple or purple stripe i think.

if not, you might have a blown channel...take the amp out and flip it around... there will be some fuses back in there on the boards.

if you have some burned out, your channel is blown

Scott Gould

• Offline Offline
« Reply #243 on: December 12, 2012, 05:33:08 pm »
To take the amp out do you just lift up and then pull out? That's what it looked like, but I couldn't quite get it out and didn't want to break anything.

I only got output out of one channel, so I went ahead and just hooked the two left channels to right channel terminals. I think this should only present a 4 ohm load to the amp (assuming the converter is negligible). With this setup I am getting volume from both speakers. However, I'm not sure if I am missing half of the songs since I have no left speaker output (it sounds fine to me though).

The volume knob connected in between the left and right channels is solidly attached, but directly below it there is a pair of unplugged red and black wires. Any idea what those could be?

I also noticed another knob identical to the volume know inside the amplifier compartment on the back, inside of the jukebox. Any idea what this knob is for?

Once again, thanks so much for your help

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #244 on: December 12, 2012, 11:39:40 pm »
it might have a screw or two near the handle. but yeah you just lift it up and away from the wall.

the extra black and red wires are connected to the volume control on the back panel. if you would like to use that one instead, you'd just disconnect the one you got there and hook those up.

Scott Gould

• Offline Offline
« Reply #245 on: December 13, 2012, 12:35:58 am »
Is there any way to utilize both volume controls so that I could have one control the juke speakers and one control my house speakers?

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #246 on: December 13, 2012, 08:00:47 am »
Hello Scott,

I can not understand why you do not use the auxillary input/output conections on the amplifier to conect to your house amplifier/speaker system.

The output at this point is around 600mv (about the the standard output from a tape/cd hifi system).

In very large installations we used to take the out from the axuillary output straight into banked slaved stereo slave amps usually at 250 watts per channel.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Scott Gould

• Offline Offline
« Reply #247 on: December 13, 2012, 09:04:32 am »
I didn't realize that I had that option at the beginning of my project. What do I use to connect to the amplifier auxiliary output?

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #248 on: December 17, 2012, 06:12:02 am »
Hello Scott,

The molex plug that is connected the volume control is the type you require.
In some cases a molex plug is fitted on the auxillary or volume control below the plug that you plug in so that the plug will not push all the way down the amp pin connections (this isdone usually so there is no chance of shorting out the connection).

If you have one of these redundant plugs fitted on the amp you can use it, it may have one or two connections in it to lock it in place.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Thommo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2013, 05:00:45 am
  • Love coin-op!
« Reply #249 on: January 05, 2013, 09:42:23 am »
Hi!
Im new to the world of Juke's, have only owned Pinballs in the past. Just picked up a CD100F (Venus). Its working great for a few hours, then it "freezes" up and stops! It happens at any time, during play or just sitting idle, but normally after about 2 hours. The display screen freezes on whatever it is displaying at the time, and pressing the buttons does nothing. The "Board ERR" light on the right hand side of the CD player then starts to flash. Switching to Service mode does not change anything or give me a error display. So I then turn the Juke off for 10-20mins and it comes good until it does it again a bit later.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance!

Mark
Australia

Chappyman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2013, 05:23:27 pm
« Reply #250 on: January 05, 2013, 09:51:25 pm »
Help!! New to the site and JukeBoxes. My, new to me, Rowe R-91 CD/45 Combo started displaying a ERR12 code today. It suddenly has a mind of it's own, stopping, starting and selecting various selections to play on it's own. Please help me, my Juke has gone insane!!  :dizzy: 

Was informed that Error 12 means more than one coin switch is stuck closed at the same time. I have it set to free play and have isolated (unplugged) the coin mechanism, but the error is still appearing and the Juke is still acting up. I'm starting to suspect the Service switch. I was alternating between 'SERV' and 'ON' when the fault first occurred, adding and playing 45's. Does this sound plausible?  ???
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:01:35 am by Chappyman »

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2013, 11:04:11 am »
Have you reset the error?
Check in your manual to see how you do this.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

jimeb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2013, 01:55:23 pm
« Reply #252 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:42 am »
Hi,
I am looking to repair my wifes rowe ami jel 200 jukebox and need some help determining if i need a new magazine motor/assembly or other.
The problem is that the record magazine doesnt turn on its own.  If you rotate the magazine manually it wil play fine.  My wife said that one day she changed the records and was playing them when she saw/smelt smoke coming from the open unit.
I have an installation/instruction/part list manual and i believe i need to replace the magazine motor (401-05015) or the assembly (401-05022) but i am looking for guidance so i dont buy the wrong part.
Also other than looking online, i am not sure where to get parts, i am located in canada.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Jim.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2013, 05:48:25 am »
Hello Jim,

You can use the later mechanism motor part number 401-05055 that was used in all the 1100/1200 jukeboxes up to the 1979 R-83. if you want to use the complete Sprag Assembly then the number is 403-05022.

You could try at www.jukeboxparts.com

If you get stuck I have some good used ones here in the UK.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
alan-hood@datex.co.uk

jimeb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2013, 01:55:23 pm
« Reply #254 on: January 15, 2013, 01:55:23 pm »
Thanks
Is it possible or likely that a transformer or something other than the motor went if all works except for automatic turning of the record holder?
I just dont want to spend 100 dollars plus on a new motor if it isnt the problem.

Thanks again

Thommo

• Offline Offline
  • Love coin-op!
« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2013, 07:49:41 am »
Hi!
Im new to the world of Juke's, have only owned Pinballs in the past. Just picked up a CD100F (Venus). Its working great for a few hours, then it "freezes" up and stops! It happens at any time, during play or just sitting idle, but normally after about 2 hours. The display screen freezes on whatever it is displaying at the time, and pressing the buttons does nothing. The "Board ERR" light on the right hand side of the CD player then starts to flash. Switching to Service mode does not change anything or give me a error display. So I then turn the Juke off for 10-20mins and it comes good until it does it again a bit later.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance!

Mark
Australia
This problem is starting to get frustrating, anyone had a similiar problem or got any advice? Juke works perfect for nearly 2hrs before "freezing". Switch it off for atleast 10mins and it works again, but maybe only for 5-6 songs before doing it again. Any help or advice would be great!
Cheers
Mark

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2013, 09:46:02 am »
Hello Mark,

I would check out the power supply on your jukebox for dry joints (called cold joints in the USA) these are where you get cracks in the soldered joint around the connection pins.

Check out the long connections on the power supply that come from the transformer to the pcb. If these are ok then you need to check out the boards on the jukebox.

Only check out the connections where the molex plugs connect onto the boards and resolder these only if you can solder correctly. If not I suggest that you send your boards to a Rowe Ami service engineer.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Thommo

• Offline Offline
  • Love coin-op!
« Reply #257 on: January 22, 2013, 04:54:20 am »
Will check them out, thanks Alan!

aelite

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2013, 03:57:10 pm
« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2013, 05:29:49 pm »
I am trying to contact AMI-MAN.  I registered on the site but when I click on your username I get an error message.  I have a 1965: AMI Rowe Diplomat and I am looking to get the gold picture insert in the attached link http://pinterest.com/pin/99149629267031394/.  Do you have any idea where I can start searching?  I don't know what that part of the jukebox is called so I'm not being successful in searching for it.  I've so far looked on e-bay for AMI Rowe with no luck.  I appreciate any suggestions.  Take care.  Oh, I can be e-mailed at eliteconstructionest1980@comcast.net if you are not able to respond to this posting.

aelite

• Offline Offline
« Reply #259 on: January 24, 2013, 06:10:33 pm »
http://pinterest.com/pin/99149629266725567/ - Hello Alan (my husband's name too).  We recently inherited my husband's father's Rowe-AMI Diplomat - 1965.  I have included a link to a picture of the jukebox that includes an accessory we are looking for.  There is a spot, well three spots potentially, on the top panel in which you can insert a picture(s).  The link shows an insert that we would love to have - it's gold and says Rowe AMI 200 select.  I don't know what this accessory is called so I'm having a hard time finding any picture insert for this jukebox.  I tried creating one myself but doesn't turn out so well from a home printer/computer.  I have also searched ebay for this accessory with no luck.  I have seen other Dip. '65's on the net with a variety of pictures and am wondering if people are simply creating them themselves through trial and error or if sellers actually posses these items and sell them.  I know this is not a technical issue for you but seeing all the help you have provided to others I thought you would be a good resource for this question.  I would also like to thank you for all the help you provide because one of your forums with another AMI owner helped us figure out a problem with our jukebox.  Oh, one more thing, do you know of a good site to order decent title strips from?  We ordered the Low Profile Software but we have over 400 to print and that is going to be expensive ink wise to do at home.  We tried ordering some from a site I found but when we received them they were bad.   I appreciate any help you can provide us. 

Take care,

Elisa & Alan
Pacifica, California - USA

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #260 on: January 24, 2013, 06:47:53 pm »
AMI-man lives in Europe. He probably won't be on during the day the same time as you.

for parts i suggest trying "victoryglass.com"... as for availability, this juke is many, MANY years old and parts are going to be 1:) nearly nonexistant 2:) likely expensive as all hell. Victory glass sometimes parts out machines. so you might be in luck.

as for title strips, most people just go ahead and print them. there is some free software available at http://www.cdadapter.com/tstrips.htm spend a couple hundred dollars and get yourself a nice color laser printer. the prints are way cheaper from a laser and better quality too compared to an inkjet. sure lasers cost a fortune to buy new toner for them, but you get literally 1000's of prints from them. (and the "ink" never goes bad)

aelite

• Offline Offline
« Reply #261 on: January 25, 2013, 03:51:28 pm »
Thank you so much.  I really appreciate your response to my post. 

Take care,

Elisa

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #262 on: January 28, 2013, 06:54:09 am »
Hello Elisa & Alan,

I sent you a reply direct regarding suggestions for where to try for parts and for title strips.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

wise1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2018, 08:12:40 pm
« Reply #263 on: January 31, 2013, 05:52:02 am »
Hello all, I have 2 x 130 watt rowe amps part 6-09931-01. I did plan to make 1 out of 2 (both not working) after changing the darlington transistors, both amps play for a few records then blow again. The pre amp boards are new. The sound was very good when the amps did work.

I want to try changing the large electrolytic capacitors on the chassis (part 2-18231-01) one amp has mallory caps and the  other nichicon. Can anyone tell me what brand and part number I can use to replace these?
Due to my location (australia) I need to try self help first.  Amp is going into a rowe r88.

Cheers, Richard

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #264 on: January 31, 2013, 10:37:55 am »
i wouldn't worry about the caps just yet...

sounds like you have an improper load of speakers on the amplifier or a shorted (or grounded) wire on the output. check for stray strands of wire.

also, shorted output transistors can blow parts on the pre amp boards...after replacing the transistors and powering up they, blow the new power transistors. You should have them checked out too.

im not sure about your amp specifically, but the 250 watt amp (which has a similar output stage as yours) has a small board with some diodes on it screwed to the heatsink on the underside. (under the preamp boards) if it does, pull it off and check the solder connections... sometimes a bad solder joint on that little board will cause the transistors to fry when powered up.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #265 on: January 31, 2013, 11:57:32 am »
Be sure you have the correct transistors installed in the correct positions on that heat sink assembly. These also need a mica insulator as well as silicone heat sink grease applied.

Be aware that there are counterfeit transistors floating around out there, especially on ebay.

You are aware that when you replace the output transistors, you must also perform the "idle current" adjustment on the driver boards? If the idle current (fancy name for bias) is not correct, you can blow the transistors you just replaced.

mschrock78

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2013, 08:47:05 pm
« Reply #266 on: January 31, 2013, 08:01:20 pm »
I have a Rowe CD100F. I put a selection in and it loads the CD, doesn't spin, unloads it, reloads it again, doesn't spin, unloads it again. Any ideas as to why?

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #267 on: January 31, 2013, 09:33:40 pm »
Check the machine main power supply/transformer assembly to see if all three of the LED's are lit. If one or more are not lit then you have a problem inside the power supply assembly.

If they are all lit, you have problems elsewhere in the machine.

Check the CCC and mech control for cold solder joints.

If the above checks out then you could have a dead player.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #268 on: January 31, 2013, 09:43:44 pm »
If you think the head unit is going to need to be replaced because it's not seeing the disk...

it should have something ID'ing it printed on it (CDM-4 etc...) insert that number into an ebay search ( ex. "CDM-4")  and see what you can find and see if you are willing to put the $ into it. a "CDM-4/36 pro" can be upwards of $350 to buy. just a laser/motor assembly is about 50 if you are comfortable taking it apart.

the other alternative is the cd adapter that replaces the entire CD unit with a harddisk loaded with MP3's again, about $300 but will last forever. see: www.cdadapter.com sometimes you can buy them used pretty cheap.

wise1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #269 on: February 01, 2013, 05:58:57 am »
Thanks for the speedy replies. Its seems I might be way out of my depth with this.  :dunno. So Im sending one amp to some one who knows what to do with it.
Thanks again, Richard

wise1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #270 on: February 04, 2013, 05:55:58 am »
How would you go about adjusting The bias on a rowe 130 watt stereo amp? It might be worth a try. The transistors I bought came from ebay so who knows. I did put 2 new pre amp boards in it but with with no adjustments.
Amp is 6-09931-01

Cheers Richard

The jukebox is a r88 but the mid range speakers came from a rockola. Would this affect the amp?

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #271 on: February 05, 2013, 10:35:37 am »
Hello Richard,

If you bought those output transisters off of Ebay it is my understanding that they do not work Someone I know in the USA, a well known jukebox repair engineer bought them and said they were no good.
Why have you put speakers from a Rock ola in your jukebox? you shoul have got the correct Rowe Ami speakers or got yours repaired and dependant on the impeadence yes it would effect things.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #272 on: February 05, 2013, 01:37:18 pm »
different speakers are going to affect the crossover...possibly changing the crossover to the point where incorrect frequecies are being pushed out to speakers designed not to play them. If the rowe speakers are still good, i'd leave them.

Transistors (heck most components) sold on e-bay are often fake ones. this: http://www.planet-kuehne.de/martin/audio/counterfeit.htm give you an idea of what you could possibly encounter. it's german, but google trnslate can help you with it.

basically it comes down to using a small underrated inexpensive "universal" type of trasistor, marked as a transistor that is more expensive.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2013, 02:54:24 pm »
This place sells legitimate Rowe output transistors:

http://www.cdadapter.com/repair.htm

wise1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2013, 06:50:06 am »
Thanks Ken, Lilshawn & Alan
When I bought the R88 it had one car speaker up top and a half working rainbow amp. I did buy two non working 130watt amps thinking I could make 1 from 2 (ha ha). The speakers I bought were supposed to be rowe but part number googled as rockola. If I buy new transistors will I be able to adjust the bias. If I rebuild the amp will the speakers  still be a problem.
And does any one have the correct part number for the r88 mid range speakers? (not in manual)

Thanks for the support, Richard

Tsully501

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2013, 07:54:18 pm
« Reply #275 on: February 06, 2013, 10:11:37 pm »
NEED Help please!!

Just got a Rowe ami laser star 2 cd 100-c with a cdm 4.

When playing CDs, sometimes they will not play all the way through. I even added brand new CDs and initialized them and still one song may play the whole way but another may not.  There was an error code of 14-01 and 6-02 but I had cleared them, that was before I got it. I got it from a local auction.

Please help... What do I need to do.

Tim

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #276 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:23 pm »
Are you playing home made discs?

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #277 on: February 07, 2013, 05:38:00 am »
And does any one have the correct part number for the r88 mid range speakers? (not in manual)

Hello Richard,

I see that you are in Australia, how did you end up with a jukebox with a Rainbow Amp?
These are a poor substitute amplifier.
The part no for the mid/high range speakers ison page 107 of your manual item 11 on the parts list,
4-07764-01.

If you get stuck and can not find anyone to repair these amplifiers for you by all means contact me with regards to repairing them for you.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
alan-hood@datex.co.uk

Tsully501

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2013, 07:54:18 pm
« Reply #278 on: February 07, 2013, 09:57:47 am »
Some are homemade discs but some our not. This happens to both. It will play for like 2 minutes and then shut off.. Then others will play for the whole song...  Would it be a problem with the cdm and the laser eye..

Please help,
     Tim

wise1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #279 on: February 08, 2013, 05:00:13 am »

Hello Richard,

I see that you are in Australia, how did you end up with a jukebox with a Rainbow Amp?
These are a poor substitute amplifier.
The part no for the mid/high range speakers ison page 107 of your manual item 11 on the parts list,
4-07764-01.

If you get stuck and can not find anyone to repair these amplifiers for you by all means contact me with regards to repairing them for you.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
alan-hood@datex.co.uk

This jukes been in Australia for years :dunno, even before the container imports started.  I pulled the ebay transistors out (fake) and swapped some of the old ones and we have sound for now.

If you send me your mailing address I will send the you the mechanism control board for repair.

Cheers, Richard